Elysia: Welcome to the Oxford Undergraduate Law Podcast, where we discuss the law and its implications on our relationships, our markets, and our futures. I'm Elysia Boon, one of the podcast editors. We platform academics, practitioners, and experts from different backgrounds on this podcast. This series was made possible by the generous support of Crown Office Chambers, one of the leading London sets of chambers specializing in civil and commercial work. The definition of disability is primarily governed by the Equality Act 2010. One is considered to have a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term negative effect on one's ability to do normal daily activities. The law as it relates to disability affects a range of social interactions, from discrimination to a duty to make reasonable adjustments, and conversations surrounding it primarily focus on ethical considerations and the legal decisions themselves. However, an often forgotten aspect of disability law is the terminology, legislation, and the judiciary specifically used to describe and label disability, which has profound impact on how people understand and treat people with disabilities. Today we are extremely honored to speak to Dr. Heloise Robinson, Singer Fellow in Law at the University of Oxford. Dr. Robinson is interested in the philosophical foundations that inform the law, with a special focus on legal and ethical issues surrounding a selection against disability, including in relation to eugenics and to gender equality. Her work has been published in leading law and bioethics journals, such as the Modern Law Review Legal Studies, Journal of Medical Ethics and the Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics. Hello, Dr. Robinson. It's great to have you here today. Just to introduce us to the realm of disability law, what are the laws that govern disability, such as the Equality Act 2010 and the European Convention of Human Rights?
Heloise: Great. Thank you for having me. I'm happy to be here. The question as to what is disability law or what we're looking at when we're looking at disability law is a very interesting question. I think actually it's very broad. There's not a very straightforward answer to that question. So when people think about what might be disability law or how disability is relevant in the law, people may well think about certain explicit mentions to disability, and certainly you mentioned the Equality Act. So the Equality Act has a definition of disability and people will often refer to that, although of course that definition is relevant in the particular context of that statute. If we are thinking about how disability is relevant in the law, or more broadly what disability law can be, it can go far beyond that. You might want to look at how disability is treated within or approached in certain areas like contract law, tort law, criminal law. And so it's an interesting question to think about how the law approaches disability. I would say it's a much wider topic than what many people might think.
Elysia: So this podcast episode isn't necessarily going to be all about substantive law because it is mainly based on your paper "Naming and Describing Disability in the Law", which draws from lots of different parts of the law. It's not just law, but also language in the philosophical or jurisprudential way. So, if you like to tell us a little bit like an overview of what your paper is about and why it's important.
Heloise: Yes. Thank you. So this paper, I authored it with Professor Jonathan Herring, we wrote it together and that's right. So in this article, we look at the way that a disability is named and described in the context of medicine as well as in the legal context. It's important to say that the article is, is not really actually about, substantive law or legal effect, but about the words themselves. So the terminology, the language itself that's used and of course legal effect is important or questions in the medical context about medical treatment are important. But what we focused on are the words which also deserve separate attention. So the words that are used to name, to label, to describe -- it can affect someone's sense of identity, the way they perceive themselves. It can affect the way that other people perceive an individual. And one of the reasons we examine, in particular, the context of medicine and law is that in those contexts, there's authority. So there's an authoritative source behind the words. So, so many people in their everyday lives refer to disability. People have different preferences as to which words are used. Different individuals prefer different terms, but in medicine, you have a source of authority as to official terminology, and in the law as well, some of the language used might seem to reflect the view of the state. And so to some extent, you can't always, if you disagree with the language use, you can't necessarily avoid it because you might need to name a particular condition in the medical context, or you might need to use the words in a statute, specifically in legal argument. So you can't necessarily avoid those particular words. What's also important in those contexts is when you do have authority you have - there's also an exercise of power. So being able to name someone or something is an exercise of power. And so if the words used are not the best ones, or if it can lead to stereotyping or to stigma, this is especially important to consider if there's power and authority behind the words.
Elysia: So in your paper naming and describing disability in law, you identify several different ways in which different kinds of disabilities have been labeled. So the four examples you have identified are the use of the word disease versus condition, the use of the word abnormality, the changing labeling of ASD or autism spectrum disorder and the labeling of intellectual disabilities. Would you like to explain firstly, how the use of the labels disease versus condition are used in legal settings?
Heloise: Yeah, so we, so more, more broadly speaking, I think we can make a distinction between the word condition and the word disease in the sense that condition is often thought to be a more neutral term, whereas disease implies there could be a problem or there needs to be medical treatment, for example, or something that needs to be rectified. And this is something that, that's a recurring issue in many types of discussions that, that take place surrounding disability because sometimes what you have is you have a condition itself, which is not negative, but there may well be associated negative health effects. So one example which we wouldn't think of as disability would be pregnancy. So we wouldn't think pregnancy is a disease. We don't think it's negative, but you can have associated negative effects. You can have gestational diabetes. So we can say gestational diabetes is bad. We don't want that. But it doesn't mean the pregnancy itself is bad. You can separate it out. So another example that could be given is Down syndrome. So people with Down Syndrome are more likely to have certain negative health effects, but you can say that some of those health problems are negative in themselves without saying that Down Syndrome itself is a condition is negative.
Elysia: it does seem as though the word condition has a more neutral kind of presentation as opposed to the more negative word disease. Um, but specifically would you like to elaborate on some of the potentially misleading references to health with regards to these words of disease and condition in a legal context, such as in McFarlane v Tayside Health Board--
Heloise: Mm-hmm.
Elysia: And Parkinson v St. James and Seacroft University Hospital NHS Trust?
Heloise: Sure. So you have some cases involving a failed sterilization procedure, where subsequently there was the birth of a child. And so in McFarlane, for example, there was a reference to the child being born healthy. In fact, there were many references throughout the case to there being a healthy child, which seemed to be important. In Parkinson, it was a disabled child who was born, so I suppose there's an issue there in understanding what we mean by the term healthy, because as I was explaining before with the term condition, so you could have a disability or you could have a condition which is not negative in itself and where you actually are healthy. So you could have Down syndrome and be healthy, and in fact, many people can be proud of their disabilities. Or there's a lot of discussion about this in the philosophical literature about what it means and how you can define disability. And so many people can identify with their condition and be proud of it and you can have a disability and nevertheless be healthy. So this is an example where the terminology used might not be ideal and can be misleading. Of course there, there are a number of reasons why that might be the case. Generally, when you're looking at case law, the judges may have their own preferred terminology, but it may well be that certain terms are used by the parties in the course of argument. But when you are identifying this language surrounding disability, if it is in a case, you have, as I said earlier, a source of language used, which can be perceived as being more authoritative, and that can have stronger effects or effects of a different nature than the kind of language that's used in, for example, a more everyday context.
Elysia: So the second example you identify in your paper is the use of the word abnormality. So what would you say about that specifically?
Heloise: Sure. So abnormality is a tricky term because it could be interpreted as implying a value judgment or a normative judgment that there's something wrong, there's something not normal, but equally it might not be used with that intention. It might just be referring to, statistical deviation, for example. So , it's a term I think is important to pay attention to and to take those factors into account and think about the context in which the word is used. If someone is being labeled as abnormal, that could be considered to be stigmatizing. And so it's a term that can, I think that just merits some thought and attention when it's used.
Elysia: So in a legal setting, one of the ways in which the term abnormality or related terms is used is in the Abortion Act 1967. So would you like to talk a little bit about that?
Heloise: Sure. So yes, in that statute you have a specific disability ground. So, there's provision to allow for abortion on the grounds of disability, and there has been some criticism of the specific language used in that ground, as well. So again, leaving aside the legal effect or issues about abortion more generally, there, there's also been attention to the specific language. So in that particular ground in the statute, abortion can be lawful, if there is a substantial risk that if the child were born, it would suffer from such physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped. And so there you have an example of the word abnormalities used. There could be criticism of the word risk or suffer. Maybe people don't necessarily suffer from a disability. And also handicapped is now considered to be outdated. So this was raised, for example, in a recent case in the Court of Appeal where a person from Mencap, a charity for people with learning disabilities referred to some of this problematic language in the statute as being a problem with the language itself.
Elysia: You identified the shift in labeling ASD from autism to autism spectrum, and rightly point out the benefits of doing so, such as acknowledging that each individual on the spectrum is unique in their presentation of ASD and how it affects them. However, the courts have not been as quick to pick up on this as you identify in Khan v Meadows. Why do you think this is the case?
Heloise: Yes. So in Khan v Meadows, there was a reference to an individual as suffering from autism. So here you have that reference again to the word suffer which is unfortunate to be used in this context. Why the courts use this language is a difficult question. It, it may be that it would be helpful for there to be greater awareness about the terminology that can be used. it's important to remember, of course, that it could come from a particular judge. It may also be that parties are maybe themselves using certain expressions in the course of argument. There are a number of examples where you can look to the way that disability is referred to or described in judgements where it would be better if different formulations were used and no doubt a greater awareness in general and society and perhaps in the legal context could lead to progress in this area.
Elysia: I think the last situation that you identify is the labeling of intellectual disabilities, where some of the most egregious comments have been made by the judiciary, including comparing someone with an intellectual disability to a cabbage. Uh, there is a widespread use of terms generally considered offensive, such as mongoloid or vegetable-
Heloise: Mm-hmm.
Elysia: -Uh, within the judiciary. So why do you think this might still be the case, even though most people would tend to think that these terms would not be acceptable anymore.
Heloise: Yes. So it's certainly true in the context of referring to intellectual disability. There are some very unfortunate examples, maybe some of the most unfortunate examples of language used. So the reference you, you made, there to reference to a cabbage, was from some time ago. So that was a case from 1981. We certainly can hope there's been some evolution in the language that's been used, but one example of terminology we still see now, in both the medical context and still in case law, is reference to a vegetative state, or a persistent vegetative state. And that's used quite commonly perhaps without much question. Although when, when you think about it, it's actually quite insulting, isn't it? Because it seems quite dehumanizing, in fact, to use that, that terminology. Perhaps people think it's not insulting to the individual, the themselves, if they are not hearing the terminology. I think we have seen some progress and some evolution in the terminology that's used, but there's definitely room for more progress and awareness still.
Elysia: Now that we've gone through all these examples of the way that these different terms are used in a legal setting, do you think that firstly labels do actually have a real impact on the way that courts treat disability and therefore people treat disability? And secondly, do you think that this is really like the be all and end all about disability and language?
Heloise: Well, it is a very difficult issue to deal with problematic terminology because what can be negative is not necessarily a meaning inherent or necessary within the word itself. It can also be the connotations that attached to a word. So I mentioned vegetative before that in a way, maybe that's inherently negative if there's reference to vegetable, it seems dehumanizing, but there are other words where there's nothing obviously negative in the word itself. It's more that they're, or not necessarily more negative than other words, but it's the connotations that surround the word. So it's perceived as an offensive term, for example. And that's difficult to deal with because in the short term, you could say, right, okay, there are some words we should avoid, and that's true. Some words are offensive and we should just avoid them, and so there could be greater awareness to avoid them. But if there continues to be general prejudice and stigma regarding disabled people in society, then if we use another word, which might seem more neutral now, eventually, negative connotations can attach to that word as well if there is general prejudice in society. So I mentioned earlier the term condition, which is quite neutral, but if there is a lot of prejudice surrounding disabled people, and the term condition is used, maybe one day that term will also be associated with more negative connotations. So, really, in order to, to deal with a problem, you need to have a wider approach. You need to be looking at ideally changing attitudes more broadly in society, and so dealing at a higher level, at a broader level with combating stigmatization. So the more we're able to reduce stigma, prejudice in society, then the less that's going to come up and attach itself to particular words. And again, so that's why also it can be particularly important to look at words used in a context where there is more authority and power, so in the context of medicine, in law, words that people are really gonna look to as a first source or as an authoritative source. And that can then be used elsewhere. To really combat the use of problematic terminology, we can't just look at words one by one. You have to also take a broader approach.
Elysia: Thank you so much Dr. Robinson, for your insightful commentary regarding the current use of labels within disability law and outside of it as well. Before we move on to the next segment regarding possible reforms of terminology used with regards to disability, we would like to express our gratitude for the generous support of Crown Office Chambers. Crown Office Chambers is a leading set consisting of over a hundred commercial and common law, barristers, arbitrators, and mediators. They have just released a short film introducing their pupils, the film, as well as other information about pupillages, can be found on their website at www.crown office chambers.com/careers/pupilage. Thank you Crown Office Chambers. Now we return to the next segment of our episode today discussing possible reforms of terminology used with regards to disability. To resolve or mitigate the issues surrounding labeling of disability within a legal context, your paper, "Naming and Describing Disability in the Law" explores two ways in which descriptions of disability can be handled. Firstly, the neutral approach, and secondly, the targeted approach. Would you like to elaborate on the first approach of presenting information in a value neutral way?
Heloise: Yes. So there's a lot of discussion in the philosophical literature about how to define disability or the right model of disability or conception or theory of disability. It's one of the themes, the issues that's getting the most attention in the philosophical literature on disability. And it's a very difficult question. It might seem quite obvious, it's, it's a bit like defining health and health notoriously -we all think we know what it means, but it's very notoriously difficult to actually define. One way to look at it is we might need to agree, you know, on how we understand disability and whether we can also understand disability in the absence of any particular value judgments or whether that's possible or not. But another approach might be to say we can look at more specific narrow or targeted issues. And especially perhaps in a legal context, we might say there might be some instances where we don't necessarily need to agree in an abstract way on how we define disability, but we might think, okay, here we're concerned with pain or we're concerned with mobility issues and so on, or in a medical context too, we might think we're concerned with these particular targeted issues. And so then we can leave aside broader complications about how you define disability or whether there is something good or bad in being disabled. If it's something that's a positive identity or something that is associated with medical treatment and so on, we can leave aside some of those complications if you're looking at specific, more targeted issues.
Elysia: Okay. So just zooming in a little bit on the neutral approach. So what exactly would that look like? So for example, you mentioned that NHS guidance on prenatal testing aims to provide more balanced information and has attempted to move towards a more balanced language using chance versus risk of a baby being born with a particular condition.
Heloise: Yeah, so one context where it is very relevant to think about how information is provided and whether the approach to disability is neutral or implies certain value judgments is in the context of prenatal testing and information provided to parents about the chance that their child will be born disabled. In that context, a recurring criticism is that the information provided can be overly negative about disability. So the parents will be told, there's a chance your child will have this particular condition, this particular disability, and it's thought to be important to provide this information, often to promote reproductive autonomy and to give the pregnant woman an the choice to have or not have an abortion: an abortion on the grounds of disability. So it's often thought that it's important to provide accurate information in terms of the chance or the risk or the diagnosis, and also information about the condition itself. But one of the difficulties is how can you provide this information in a way which is neutral or is it possible to, to really provide this information in a way that is neutral? And so a recurring criticism is that the information can be overly negative. It can maybe, there can be a discussion of certain negative sides associated with raising a child with a particular disability, but no mention of some positive sides. So there has been recently some efforts to try to provide with, it's often called more balanced information, more neutral, more balanced. So there has been, for example, a change in, instead of referring to a risk that the child will be born with a particular condition, guidance might say there's a chance that the child be born with a particular condition, which seems to be a more neutral term. So that is seen by many people as an improvement. Of course, it's not entirely neutral because the fact that you're being informed that there's a chance that your child will have this particular condition, it's of course implying that you need to think about it and that there would be a good reason not to give birth to this child. So it's not entirely neutral given that it takes place in the context of testing where routine prenatal testing implies there's a reason for testing and there's a reason to think about whether or not you want to have the child. But the specific word chance in this context is considered, for example, to be less negative than the word risk.
Elysia: So in your previous answer, you do touch upon some of the possible issues or objections with the approach, but would you mind fleshing it out, what exactly the possible issues or objections with the neutral approach might be?
Heloise: Sure. So for example, there's a guidance that describes Down syndrome where both what might be considered to be positive and negative characteristics are listed. So there you have an example of what might seem to be a more balanced approach. So the guidance, for example, says that children with this condition will have a learning disability and will be more likely to have certain health problems. But then it also mentions that they can have a good quality of life and attend school. So this can be an example where it seems that more balanced information can be provided where the information provided is not only negative, but it is difficult if you're trying to provide information in a neutral way, it is really difficult because how do you know how many positive or negative aspects would you mention? We don't normally do this for most people, for most babies, we don't list positive and negative features about someone's life. To provide more balanced information might seem to be making a move towards a less negative approach to disability in the context of prenatal testing. But at the same time, it's not entirely neutral, especially since one way to interpret it is that if you hear information like that, it will sound like the child will have certain negative traits that other children won't have. And then the positive traits are ones which most children would have anyway really. So it sort of implies that that overall there is still something negative. A better approach might be to, if you're listing negative traits, to also list positive traits that are specific to the condition. So mentioning that the child will probably attend school is not specific to Down Syndrome and most children attend school, but perhaps something which is especially positive and associated with Down Syndrome and not with most children could also be provided. So that's, I I think it's, this is really tricky because it's an example where your information is provided. If the objective is for the information to be accurate and balanced and neutral, it's important to think about these issues. But equally, of course it will never entirely be neutral. There's no entirely neutral way of presenting this information and, really, given the wider context in which it's provided, you could say that overall there, the message being sent is still that there's a good reason to consider avoiding the birth of the child.
Elysia: So moving on to the second approach, which is the targeted approach which seeks to address specific ethical concerns. So you did talk about this in the beginning of this segment where you talked about how people want to address specific concerns, so such as reduced mobility and things like that. So would you mind elaborating on what that would look like as compared to the neutral approach?
Heloise: Yes. Well, one thing that can be done is to distinguish between cases where you can have a condition that can be cured and a condition that is lifelong. So if you have a condition with a number of health problems that can be treated or that can be cured, maybe a targeted approach can be taken where you refer to specific problems and how to deal with them. But if you have a lifelong condition, it might be especially important to refer if there are negative aspects to refer to positive aspects as well, and to bear in mind that with a lifelong condition, it may affect more a person's sense of identity. And so if negative information is given about a lifelong condition, it might be interpreted as not just being negative with respect to something that could be separated out, and health problems as something separate, but that can attach to the person themselves. So I think there it can be important to bear in mind the nature of the condition you're dealing with.
Elysia: So what are some possible issues or objections with the targeted approach?
Heloise: Well, I think in some contexts we can look at very specific issues and we don't necessarily need to ask, is this disability or not? We can refer to something more specific. I think more broadly though, it can be helpful for a number of reasons to ask whether we're generally dealing with disability and how we understand disability more broadly in society. So although there can be different specific issues, they can be tied together in certain important ways. And so it's important to see, I suppose the, the broader picture as well. So sometimes referring to specific issues is helpful. But at the same time, bearing in mind the links between specific issues or what a broader approach can achieve will also have benefits.
Elysia: In your paper, you've identified a recent case in which the courts have attempted a balanced description, which is Crowter v Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, which you've also written an article about titled "Discrimination in Abortion Law and Message the Law
is Sending: R (Crowter) v Secretary of State for Health and Social Care." Would you mind telling us what happened in this case?
Heloise: Yes. So one of the reasons why the case was really interesting is that it was in a sense about what you could call the expressivist argument, which has been discussed extensively in the literature on philosophy on bioethics. The expressivist argument is essentially that prenatal testing and abortion on the grounds of disability expresses a negative message about disabled people. It sends a message that they're less welcome in society, for example, or that society might think, or some people might think that their lives are less worthwhile. So that's been discussed extensively in the philosophical literature. There's debate about it. Not everyone agrees with the argument. What's particularly interesting is that this essentially was the argument that came to court. There wasn't any reference in the case to the philosophical literature. I guess that's not, not surprising. But also what I should say is, one difficulty with the expressivist argument is we might ask who is expressing the message. So if it's the parents or the pregnant woman herself, we might think, well. If an individual pregnant woman decides to have an abortion on the grounds of disability, she isn't necessarily trying to express a wider message about disabled people in general. She might be making a decision based on her own personal circumstances. She might be taking many different factors into account, so she's not trying to necessarily say, other people should do the same thing as me or making a general statement about disability, it might seem like a personal decision. So that's one problem with the expressivist argument. But if the message is coming from the law itself, so that was the issue in Crowter, then it's different because if we think it's the law or it's the state that's sending the message that there's an especially good reason to avoid the birth of disabled children, then it could be more concerning. One thing I should say as well, and this did not come out clearly from the case if you read the case, but this is not in fact a sort of pro-life or pro-life or pro-choice issue. So you can take issue with a negative message in the law without necessarily thinking that access to abortion should be, needs to be restricted. So right now the law singles out disability as a very specific ground for abortion. There are other reasons a woman might want to have an abortion that are, that are not listed in the law. If you had, for example, a more liberal approach to the law and abortion, if, for example, a woman could just have an abortion for any reason, then you wouldn't have disability singled out. So, in practice there could be abortions on the grounds of disability, and that may well reflect a personal decision and the law wouldn't be singling it out. So it was, it was a very interesting and somewhat complicated case, but one of the reasons why it was interesting is that it was really looking at this expressivist argument as tied to a message coming from the law itself and coming from the state itself, which is more concerning, but equally, it wasn't in fact a, a pro-life, pro-choice sort of issue.
Elysia: Yeah, so the case was very interesting for the kind of arguments that both parties brought to the table. But would you'd like to summarize for us basically what the outcome was of Crowter?
Heloise: Yeah, so the case was dismissed. So the appellants weren't successful in their case. Essentially, the central reason in the lead judgment was that the law on abortion is not concerned with disabled people. It's just concerned with the unborn, with the fetus. So it's not sending a negative message about disabled people because it's not about disabled people, it's about the fetus. So, with respect, I don't think it's a very convincing interpretation. Clearly, the ground is about preventing the birth of disabled children, about the child. In fact, the law specifically refers to the, it uses the words, the child. I don't think anyone is really concerned about whether there's a disabled fetus, whether there's disability only in the womb. So really the provision is about preventing the birth of a disabled child. So there's much more that can be said about it, but certainly I think that central reason is unfortunately not very convincing as an interpretation of the way we can understand the law in its message.
Elysia: I see. So why do you think that the courts are still reluctant to interpret legislation as being worded in a discriminatory way?
Heloise: I think that's- it is a difficult question. I think perhaps inevitably, because the case was on abortion that might just color the approach to this particular case. You could have another case, which is about the negative message sent by the law. You could imagine maybe a scenario where you have a negative message about disability sent in the law, and it's not in the context of abortion. It may well be that, given that this was an abortion case, and given that that's a sensitive area, that may well have affected the approach that was taken here.
Elysia: So you mentioned that the reality is that it might be impossible to describe disability in a way that's entirely neutral, especially as many conditions have a range of presentations, which make it difficult to fully encompass the diversity of experience. So how can legislators and the judiciary move forward then to provide descriptions of disability that do people justice?
Heloise: Yes. That's such an important and such a difficult question and so we didn't intend in this article to provide a full resolution to that. I think part of the answer will come from greater awareness. I think as there's greater awareness of the importance of language and more understanding about disability, there can be progress that can be made in both the medical context and the legal context. But, and as I said before what's important to bear in mind is that the broader attitudes to disability, if there is a broader prejudice and stigma within society, it is very likely that that's going to affect one way or another the terminology that's going to be used. In terms of making progress, part of the progress can come from saying, right, we need greater awareness about certain terms that should not be used. There's some terms where it's obvious, there's others where there's debate and different views, but there's some terms we shouldn't use, but equally the connotations attaching to terms can change over time, and so the more we have a more inclusive approach in society in general, and the more that hopefully that will trickle down to the terminology as well.
Elysia: That's all the questions that we have for today. Dr. Robinson, thank you so much for taking time out of your day to speak with us and to let everyone know a little bit more about the descriptions of disability in a legal context. Would you like to say a few final words?
Heloise: Uh, that's all great. I, I just wanna say thank you very much for having me and for speaking with me today. And I'm very happy if there is any interest in these issues.
Elysia: Thank you very much to Dr. Robinson once again for coming to the Oxford University Undergraduate Law Podcast and to Crown Office Chambers for making this series possible. Lastly, thank you to our listeners for supporting the podcast.