Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the rites and what changed afterwards. This podcast is truly a labor of love, inspired by my own transformative experience at the men's rites of passage and my ongoing commitment to the Illuman Community. If this show resonates with you, please take a moment to rate, review, and share it on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen. You can find all of those links at mrop talk dot com To support my work, you can explore my published poetry volumes at Brian Mueller dot com. I also work closely with men and Illuman to share and teach the practice of presence. You can learn more about that at choosing presence dot org. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show we just don't talk about the rites in theory. We talk to the men who have walked the path. Today I'm joined by a man who has made us rites, and we're going to hear Exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Joe Grilliot. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story.
Joe Grilliot: Thank you. Thanks for asking me.
Brian Mueller: Joe, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Joe Grilliot: I'm from small Versailles, Ohio, out in the cornfields, and I farm. So raising corn and soybeans and growing food for animals mostly.
Brian Mueller: Well now let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop. It's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the very beginning. Joe, when and where did you make your rites? I made my rites in Minnesota.
Joe Grilliot: I believe it was Sandstone, Osprey Wilds. Last summer, so a year ago, June 25. And do you recall who your weaver was and about how many men were at your rites? The Weaver was Ned Abenroth. I think for the men that were coming through the rites, it was maybe 30 or so.
Brian Mueller: And when you think back to that weekend, what's the first image or feeling that comes forth for you?
Joe Grilliot: I don't know. The words that come to mind are holy cow, impressive. Yeah, how was it impressive? Well, I didn't exactly know what to expect for one. Even if I expected something, it was deeper and more connecting. than what I would have expected. And it just really shifted my life in ways that I hoped for in certain ways, but I had no idea what that would look like. So I felt very um excited and anxious going in in a certain way. But I also have experienced some you could call it shadow work or soul crafting and going out in nature and experiencing like What nature reflects back and trying to grow through that with deep psychology, you could say.
Brian Mueller: Bill Plotkin, I think, right?
Joe Grilliot: Bill Plotkin. Yeah, thank you. So, I've experienced some of that before, but it's been a long time. I enjoyed being able to deepen into nature time
Brian Mueller: Now, if you were to just tell a casual acquaintance or even a friend, you've had about a year now to kind of reflect on that experience. How would you describe how the weekend went for you? You say it's a good experience?
Joe Grilliot: Oh, yeah. Yeah. I would say it's a positive experience. It's helpful to go with an openness and a willingness to kind of go along for the ride, so to speak. It definitely was positive. And I'd say that connecting with others connecting with self and connecting in a way with higher power were all like, I don't know, like a thread woven through the experience for me. That was powerful.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, now I want to take you back to the sandstone. Without sharing anything that would be confidential or too personal. Is there a particular memory that you have from the rites? Was it a ritual? Was there an encounter with another man? Was there something that really grabbed you or is that you still remember to this day?
Joe Grilliot: If I can share two, there's two things that stand out. One, my time in nature solo. I kept encountering ticks. Ticks became my teachers, and mosquitoes became my masters. It's like I don't think I ever got bitten, and I certainly didn't have a tick attach. But I kept kind of watching and observing and having fear around being bit. And I kept flicking them off of I was using a trash bag to kind of keep from getting um wet as I sat on the ground 'cause I was in a kind of damp area. And I kept flicking ticks off the off the trash bag, off my clothes. It taught me something about, I don't know, not being paralyzed by my fear and being able to kind of make humor a little bit around the things I was afraid of. The mosquitoes were pesky, but that's not new to me. Ohio has a few of those too. But both of those were kind of my companions while I sat there for that chunk of afternoon time. And that was you know, there's pieces you hear me say that are kind of like growth in myself or awareness of those pieces in me and growing through fear in some ways. The other key point is my partner, when I went into the wilderness, was also the person I was paired with in the first ritual that I joined in the first night. And I won't go into any detail on that aspect, but just the partnership with that person, we tied together, working with a key point in the ritual. And so it kind of bonded us because we were brand new and following the instructions and working together and like literally interacting and working together as we Carried something around and said certain words in tune, like kind of in phrase or whatever. So we bonded really well. John and I bonded well, and that was Powerful too, in a way that it wasn't just like, oh, yeah, the guy I did that thing with at that retreat. It was really, hey, like, I shared a book with him that was meaningful to me, a Bill Plotkin book. And I think he appreciated that. And he shared Bug Spray and gave me a stone that was meaningful to him.
Brian Mueller: Have you been able to keep in touch with John?
Joe Grilliot: Occasionally, yes. I would like to reach out to him again, but just the kind of depth and the sharing and the heartfelt kindness was very real. And sometimes men have some difficulty bonding in a vulnerable way with each other. And there was definitely safety and rapport space to be able to be honest and kind and be okay sharing together in a less than average male football game experience, more of a safe space, I'll call it.
Brian Mueller: So let me take you back to your decision to register and to attend the Rites. What was going on in your life? What were the circumstances that kind of led you to do the Rites?
Joe Grilliot: I've kind of been in transition in my life for a a chunk of time. I worked as a Catholic priest for a while and then officially left and did some transition stuff in my last stage of life in Denver. And then I moved with my wife and family after that all happened to Ohio and grew into farming. After twenty years off the farm. So the sort of movement from career, state of life. to having a family, my wife, and then a year or so later, a COVID son who's an awesome five-year-old energetic kid. I don't know. I'd say just the transition from ministry to no longer single and in family life to like finding work that is going to work, meaningful, financially lucrative. I could do long term. So I would say, and then all the spiritual turmoil and the grief and the, Fears and the anxieties and all that jazz that comes with being in a pretty big life transition. So that was kind of the ground. And I'd been in touch with Richard Rohr spiritual books and talks and different things in the past, and even a friend of mine from a kind of support group. Mitch and he was going to go on rites. And I think he went to California and made his rites. And so it got me thinking as he talked about it that he was going to go. I'm like, well, wait. Maybe, maybe I could go to one, two. So that helped give me faking and then planning and seeing if it'd work, and it did work.
Brian Mueller: Now I'm curious how those closest to you responded to when you told them that you were going to attend the rites. I'm thinking of your wife. I know that you moved back to Ohio, so you're closer to family. So maybe you told your father. And even that friend who went on the rites when you told him, how did those people react?
Joe Grilliot: I kind of probably, in a way, watered it down what it was. I had a good sense that it was more than just quote a retreat, but I called it a men's retreat. And I may have even framed it as something with good for me to kind of take space to work through some transitions or Self-care or something like that. They they reacted positively, and it might have helped because I was in a spiritual journey, working in churches and things like that before. So like for me to do a retreat was not like a big deal. It wasn't new news. And I don't know that I really went into much depth afterwards. about the experience, but they were they were receptive.
Brian Mueller: I'm really kind of curious. I really haven't asked this before, but we don't often talk about rites of passage in our society. What did anyone go, what What's a rites of passage or why would you do that at this stage of your life?
Joe Grilliot: Yeah, I don't think I I may have mentioned the term, but I The people I would have told probably knew my story reasonably well and probably didn't ask further about it. I may have explained to one or two sort of like more like friends or acquaintances that were maybe don't know my whole story or were more open to knowing more of what could that be as a kind of men's Deepening experience. I might have explained that a little bit. And I do think my second youngest sister, I explained a little more what a men's rites of passage might mean in terms of kind of Coming through a sort of ritual and coming from, or I think I framed it too as like, okay, boys becoming going through this rite of passage and becoming men. is kind of the traditional pattern and see Native American or other sort of traditional cultures like that. And of course, supposedly I'm a man or was a man. But you know, there's lots of parts of me that you know remain growing up still in a certain way. And so there's always like this trajectory of growth that's not just like Boom. But I I probably explained briefly, like we don't have a quote rites of passage for men or boys here. generally as our culture. So to make an intentional transition and growth into adulthood, into true manhood, like was attractive to me And there was probably few people that I actually mentioned that to you.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, the reason I asked in just as I was asking you the question, I go, I've been swimming in the Illuman waters for over a decade, and so rites of passage has become very normal, you know, thing for me. But I I still forget how kind of unusual it is in our culture and society for anybody to hear that word. So thank you. I've had the good fortune of going to Minnesota and going to the Osprey Wilds, the center up there in Sandstone for a retreat. I've not been there for rites of passage, but I want to take you back to the day that you arrived. You know, I imagine you either drove up or you you flew in. I'm not sure. Did you did you come alone to the to the rites or did you come in a carpool?
Joe Grilliot: I flew to Minneapolis airport. And then a local person picked me up and trying to think if there was another person. I think it was somebody picked me up and we rode together then from the airport to Osprey Wilds.
Brian Mueller: So you came with other men. And then so I'm just what I'm after here is, you know, how are you feeling as you got nearer to Sandstone and even pulled into the Osprey Wilds there and, you know, were about to begin the rites?
Joe Grilliot: I remember the smell of sage. They were sort of incensing, smudging as we rolled in, and it had a kind of mysterious flair to it. It wasn't too weird to me because I've kind of been around unique sort of spiritual or different kinds of spiritual sort of things. But it did have a bit of a I don't know, the guy and I who were riding together, we both have church leadership experience, so we kind of knew it's kind of moving into a different kind of space, a liminal space, and trying to create a space where magic, transformation, healing, growth can all happen in its in its way. So I'm sure I was excited a bit anxious and in that kind of whatever that you feel when it's like, what's that strange, sort of mysterious thing going on? That's what I remember feeling. Was there something as you embarked on the rites that you were hoping to be initiated into? I mean, I think the only thing that I almost didn't dare even expect That in some ways was helpful was, and I won't go into great detail because it's very personal, but like healthy relational and healthy sexuality was something that I had always hoped for and strove to grow into and struggled with. So I almost had so many struggles that I wouldn't even, quote, ask God for help. That was one area where I did intentionally ask for help, so to speak, through some of the rites, and it wasn't like at all Expected, prompted, or demanded. It was self just in a way asking God's help in that area of my life. And as I went forward after the experience, I experienced a lot of relief and growth into a healthier way of living that I really didn't expect.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, thank you for that. I appreciate your vulnerability there. And I'm going to ask you, did any fears or any anxiety rise to the surface as you went through the Wrights experience?
Joe Grilliot: Yeah. I'm a person who could have fear exhaustively at times. And certainly different kinds of fears or different kinds of anxiety rose in different ways as I went through the experience. tick I already named kind of the am I going to get bit by a tick and get some kind of extended disease? What are the people going to be like in this experience or that? Or there were invitations to kind of rituals or things that just were not familiar to me. And so that can be a little bit like raise anxiety about not knowing. Those all seemed worth it compared to the if life is always so safe, like if my routines are too strong, if I'm always working the same job, doing the same routine, and always the same people in the same way. life gets very um stuck for me. So that's how I put it in context that it was worth well worth kind of living through those fears. And even in my monotonous life, if I'm doing all the boring things. Like there's still fears, there's still anxiety. It's it's it's well worth the moments of discomfort for the connections and encouragement, depth. And even joy and laughter and humor along the way. I feel like when fear and anxiety are present and sort of accepted in a certain way, it allows other emotions then to come around as well. If it's if I'm not stuffing all that down, it kind of releases in a free way, all the whole spectrum of emotion.
Brian Mueller: And so you survive the experience. You make it through to Sunday. You avoid any tick bites. It's time to get back into the car and and head to Minneapolis to catch flight. How are you feeling immediately after as you kind of pulled away from the Osprey Wilds?
Joe Grilliot: In a certain way, kind of effusive, almost like floating, but not because I was really, really rounded. Like I was much more present in my body, relaxed. I guess more in tune with my better, higher self, with God, with knowing I was connected, especially with my Quote, small group or council. So I guess feeling more connected, more embodied, and more rooted with higher power as well. Having more energy and being sort of more joyful and more emotionally connected, all of that together. Sometimes I've had spiritual experiences in the past that are powerful. But if I'm not grounded in my body too, I can feel really, really floaty. So it feels good and it's a positive thing, but it's also like almost like. Not quite in reality, or not quite grounded. So I felt really effusive, I think, is the best term. And it wasn't the floaty kind. It was more maybe a little floaty, but it was a lot more grounded in a way that I feel was healthy and whole and powerful. I did feel some ang discomfort or anxiety in the, oh man, we're leaving. Like this was awesome. Let's stay here.
Brian Mueller: I've talked to a lot of men who have been many years since they've made their rites. It could be 20 or more years. It could be 10. It could be even five. So your rites are much more recent. And that's actually one of the reasons I wanted to talk to you. But It's been about a year since you made your rites, and I am curious to know what impact those rites have had on you in this past year. What's changed in your life since making your rites?
Joe Grilliot: I think the first thing that was especially apparent and especially desirable for me was the growth of my sexuality and the healing in that aspect of my life. And strictly speaking, it was about two months that that was really, really present. I think there's still aspects of that present to today, but it's less strictly speaking sort of like a complete healing, you could say. But I'm still like very much in a more wholesome, healthy, and more self-accepting kind of space in that particular area. So that's different. I do feel like the practice of connecting with more Illuman groups and more men who have experienced the rites is helpful. Like I kind of miss that, frankly. I've had moments where I've connected and moments where it's been in between, but I definitely feel like to be able to kind of continue the work of the rice, to continue the growing, to stay connected with the, in a way, the gold, the gifts that came through the experience. it happened in a sense of, and a community is how it happened, and a community is how it's kind of sustained in a certain way, I think, too. So, being able to continue to be part of a kind of spiritual community, being able to keep connecting with men in deeper ways. And I've found that a bit of a challenge. Being back home where I grew up, away for 20 years, and coming back down home, it's like folks kind of have their relationships that they want. And from ages past. And so it's a little hard here to break back into like friendship groups and things like that. So I do kind of Have some lament. I do miss some friendships from both my other parts of my life in different places and from Emra. Although we do connect occasionally with a couple of guys that are nearby from Indiana that went to the same rides I did and we didn't know each other before that. So I do cherish those moments when we get together for a meal or something. Have your conversations and relationships been impacted by the rites? I'm sure they have. Sometimes it's hard to see exactly how because
Brian Mueller: You know, some men talk about how the rites expanded their ideas of fraternity and having relationships with other men. And I'm certainly, I hope you've experienced in the Illuman community that there's a real ability to speak vulnerably, speak even about your emotions, speak in a lot of depth about a lot of subjects. Maybe you're experiencing that even in some of your relationships outside of Illuman.
Joe Grilliot: I don't know. Yeah, I certainly can go there. I mean, definitely when I connect with folks who have experienced the Illuman or in a gathering of folks From a Illuman, it's definitely opens up that kind of rapport and safe space where men and I can be vulnerable. And I guess there are moments where I mean, I have to kind of I have trouble distinguishing because I'm kind of trained in a way from the priesthood ministry and almost spiritual counseling bit to have to build some of that safe space anyway. So I don't I have trouble connecting which part is kind of what I learned before and which part kind of came with MROP. And frankly, it doesn't matter. I'm sure that my capacity for responding and holding space for others and being present, especially with men in ways that's say say less than common has expanded for sure from that retreat - from that MROP experience. I wish I could like pull out of the air and remember like, well, this experience is clearly that.
Brian Mueller: After experiencing the Rites, has your understanding of masculinity, initiation, even the male purpose changed at all?
Joe Grilliot: Perhaps I have a little more positive view of masculinity. I guess the stereotypical male that maybe has it really grown into a mature elder kind of person Is sort of the classic and average American or average person in my society. So I often kind of view male Examples as weak and kind of lame, or grumpy old men, or just really jaded. And not everybody's there, but the examples of men who really own Who they are, who are able to stand up for the people they care about, who are able to be, who can cry, and that's healthy and great. who support others in ways that are generous and sacrificing and kind. There are those, but it feels like less common and even sometimes rare. Certainly, there's moments that I see from my father or sometimes from a priest that I looked up to when I was younger. I've seen moments of that. So I guess my sense of having a more I guess a more in fleshed sense of the positive masculine, mature masculine. in male examples is more real. Rather than going, I don't want that, I don't want to be that. Maybe I have a little more sense of like, oh, well I hope to be kind of like that. Kind of the kind, the accepting the mature, elder. wise and humorous, like able to kind of go, Oh, didn't go the way I planned, and it seems to be good or good enough. that kind of when I see that kind of mentality that's just really healthy and heartwarming.
Brian Mueller: No, I appreciate you your answer there. It really made me it brought home some things to me, especially when you started talking about Seeing some of these elements of transformation in your father and in maybe a priest that you had looked up to at other points in your life. So, what I'm I'm thinking is that you're seeing some generativity. You're seeing some of those aspects of the rites, the transformational aspects that we all hope to encounter and grow into. So I guess what I'm getting at here is you have a five-year-old son. He's still very young. But how do you think the rites have impacted you as a father? And how you will relate to him? raising a son in this world and this culture.
Joe Grilliot: It hits really close to home. In some ways, my father could express anger in a very explicit way. Frequently working with pigs on the farm, like, gosh dang, son-of-a-brick, like, like whatever you could imagine came out. And that anger and his expression of it affected me. And I see my behavior at times with my son, even yelling directly at him, I'm not content with that. I'm not okay with that. And so it's a live edge for me growing into learning to manage my emotions and, in particular, my anger in a way as I help my son grow into being older and maturing, growing through the phases of childhood. And so it's a it's a live edge that I'm still learning how to do it. And maybe that I can see it and express it and name it without just avoiding and knocking out the shame on it and ignoring the shame on it. That might be a result of MROP for me. I hope that it also I think it does offer me some tools as well that I can utilize and people that I can draw on for their wisdom. Getting better at this partial life by being father to a really sweet and energetic five-year-old He just, he's such a gift. And a lot of people around here enjoy him, even if they're just acquaintances. They're like, oh, your boy's so cute.
Brian Mueller: That's wonderful. But now that you've experienced the rites as you enter the middle part of your life, do you have any sense that you'll be looking for youth rites, adolescent rites for your son?
Joe Grilliot: That's an excellent question. I hadn't realized or hadn't thought much about that. He's five and going to enter kindergarten and Yeah, I would love to support him in experiencing that. I think if I were tuned in as a teenager, whatever age youth rites would be, I think it could only help me. So, I would definitely support my son and being able to experience that.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I think that's something that many men within Illuman have sort of this growing awareness of, especially those with sons. My experience over the years is a lot of them go to the rites. And then they immediately want this either for the other men in their community or for their sons, regardless of what age they are, and endeavor to create those rites or bring them back home. You know, I'd like to really emphasize how big of a tent Illuman is. You know, we do have our roots in the work of Father Richard Rohr, who's a Franciscan priest. He wrote the books Adam's Return, and he did a lot of research on rites throughout the world. And he's well traveled. I spent a lot of time in other countries, including Africa, I know, some time in Asia. So he's been around and he understands. The rites very broadly. And the reason I say all this is because, you know, there's a lot of men that identify as Christian within Illuman, and that aspect is there. But you don't have to be Christian to participate in the men's rites of passage. So I want to know everybody will be welcome. You know, you may have to, you know, gauge your own sensitivities or comfortability around Christian traditions, especially people that have been harmed. By their faith and their backgrounds. So, this is just a long way of kind of winding up to the fact that there are a lot of men like you, Joe, who come from clerical backgrounds, pastors, priests. Other teachers. Some are still active in those ministries. You've left the priesthood. And your story is especially resonant for me because my father, too, was a Catholic priest and left the priesthood. And I know in some ways you never leave the priesthood, right? I mean, it's a very formative experience in your life. It's a peculiar vocation and calling. I just want to know, you know, a little bit about your experience or what did being a priest and spending some time as a Catholic priest? How did that contribute to your involvement in the rites? Or how did that impact your involvement in the rites? How did that influence your has that influenced your ideas of community and spiritual work? Lots there. I know there's a lot there.
Joe Grilliot: Yeah. I guess the background and experiences of ritual in the past or having some background knowledge of how like ritual works. Victor Turner, I think, was Who a person who names some of the steps in kind of like a rites of passage or can even be sacramentality. But anyway, I'm going technical. I'd rather say I think it helped me Have some background spiritually and some background to have some comfort level. And it probably was unlearning just this much. Like, it's sort of like I could get attached to the specific Catholic prayers that confect the Eucharist or something. And God's so much wider than just those particular words, so to speak. I'm not trying to desecrate or say anything bad about particular Christian words or particular Christian rites, but God can be in anything. And in the moment, we can experience something of divine or Grace or love or whatever from many different angles, whether it's in church or in nature or in a council group or anything. Yes, it had an impact. it feels so like tied into everything that I have trouble like kind of grasping at at something. I can say that my experience now is like I still attend church and I'm Episcopalian, so kind of um Catholic light, if you will. So there's still a good amount of ritual in sacramentality, but it's also like a little wider sphere and a little lower church in some level. And my sense of the God I used to believe in has changed a lot too. So I don't I'm not so certain about the exact character of God and have God's finger in my life at every moment. And yet I still attend church, I still serve and assist in some ways, not as a priest. And I'm I still enjoy that kind of spiritual community. And, you know, if God decides somehow to put his finger or her finger or its finger or twiddle around in the mystery of my life experience, I'm open to that. I just don't necessarily expect it. In my particulars, like I used to.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, thank you for that. I do want to emphasize, too, for our listeners that you and I particularly come from a Catholic background originally, but I also want people to know that that's not everybody that they'll encounter within Illuman comes from a Catholic background. It's certainly wider than that. And some of that might be just influenced by region, where you're from. You know, people tend to cluster, certain faiths cluster in certain areas. But I'm so excited because I'm going to the Illinois Rites of Passage in a couple of weeks. And there will be two Catholic priests there. There'll be Jim Clark, who will be the Weaver, and he's coming in from California. And Jim Clarke, I believe, is a Diocesan priest. He taught at a seminary for many years. He's retired now out in Southern California. And then we have Bob Colaresi, who's a Carmelite priest in suburban Chicago. And he's really the one that had had he made his rites like you did at Sandstone. And then in, I think, 2008 and then he or 2006, I think, actually, and then he brought the rites to Illinois. And so he was very instrumental in creating that experience for men there. So really beautiful men who spent their life dedicated to the priesthood, but have also become very generative in their work and their understanding of spirituality. Exciting. So my last question to you. I'm offering a lot of context, but I really want our listeners to kind of understand some of the background here. So what advice would you give, Joe, to a man who's considering deliberating whether or not to register from the rites? And maybe you can talk to somebody, too, that comes from a religious background.
Joe Grilliot: Yeah, um, go. And yes, there's fears, or yes, there's discomfort, and yes. It's worth it to make the sacrifice, like to take time away, to make space, to be open to some healing. Because I don't know, I think we all have some brokenness or some. Grief or parts of ourselves that are not finished yet. And I feel like this kind of setup is really the space where a person can a man can grow through those boy parts of self to into more manly, healthy, mature living and kind of heal and enjoy the process if we're willing. So, yeah, take the risk. Don't be afraid. Or don't get stuck in paralysis with fear. Take the steps and do it. It's well worth it. And I think just the thought about the accessibility, especially for folks who maybe don't have any religious background or have had harmed experiences I feel like the symbols are earthy in a way and connected with the roots. Like you spoke about Richard Rohr's research into the rites of passage in different cultures and societies. So I think that you're archetypal in a way that everybody can get it. You kind of get it in your gut. So don't feel like you got to come with like bread and wine or whatever kind of background thinking or the specific scripture Bible that speaks to salvation, like there's room for a broad span to like know experience and come forward in a way that's meaningful.
Brian Mueller: Joe, I love doing these conversations because I always learn something. And you shared some things today that I think were very provocative. And I'll take with me here. Is there anything else that you'd like to say before we wrap up?
Joe Grilliot: I feel grateful for the opportunity to speak and share a bit of my experience. It helps me recall and kind of come back into some of those pieces from MROP that you know they might have gotten a little rusty or they were there but kind of on the back burner So it helps my experience to be here and kind of bring it forth. And so I'm just really grateful and hopeful. Having a chance to invite my son to something like this should the when the time arises is huge.
Brian Mueller: Absolutely. It's been a real pleasure getting to know you. You came to our writing retreat. You actually only probably live, what, about an hour or so north of me in Dayton. Yeah, you're on those glacial plains that were so fertile where there's a lot of corn and soy and things growing. Yeah, it - it feels like a long way away, but it's really not that far. You showed up at our writing retreat this past January, and I hope you're considering being part of that again this coming year. You've been getting more and more involved with the Illuman Community. So I thank you so much for your time and taking time out of your day. Like I said, it's a beautiful day, and you could probably be out in the fields or out somewhere on the land doing some good work. You've chosen to spend some time with me, so thank you so much. And I want to say I love you, brother, and I look forward to seeing you soon.
Joe Grilliot: Thank you. I love you too, brother.
Brian Mueller: For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The Men's Rites of Passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr. and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve Illuman has been the steward of this work, preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading Adam's Return by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, you can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash mrop or Illuman dot org slash events. Finally, if you enjoyed this podcast, don't forget to share it with a friend. You can find all our episodes and subscribe in your favorite podcast app at MROP talk dot com. And you can visit me at Brians Poems dot com or Brian Mueller dot com. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP Until next time, brothers, stay present.