Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul. and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the rites and what changed afterwards. This podcast is truly a labor of love, inspired by my own transformative experience at the men's rites of passage and my ongoing commitment to the men of the Illumined community. If this show resonates with you Please take a moment to rate, review, and share it on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen. You can find all of those links at M-R-O-P Talk dot com. To support my work, you can explore my published poetry volumes at Brian Mueller dot com. I also work closely with Men and Illuman to share and teach the practice of presence. You can learn more about that at choosing presence dot org. Before we go any further, I want you to know that this is an encore episode. The week of August 10th I'll be in Illinois at the men's rites of passage, standing with the men who are crossing that threshold this year, and I'll be away through the seventeenth. Rather than let the feet go quiet, I wanted to bring back two conversations that mean a great deal to me, and both of them are with men who are giving themselves to these very rites. Today you'll hear Episode one, My Conversation with Chester Trocha, the very first man to sit down with me on the show. Chester is serving as the MROP coordinator for the Illinois rites this year. Then, next Monday, august seventeenth, I'll re release Episode four with Bob Colaresi. Bob is the founder emeritus of these rites, and this year he serves as the weaver for the returning initiated men. These two men are dear to me. and I respect them deeply. Each of them has given themself, over many years, to walking alongside other men on the spiritual journey, and to building real community within Illuman. If you heard these conversations before, listen again. I think you'll hear something you missed the first time. And if they're new to you, you're in for a gift. New episodes return on Monday, august twenty fourth, and there is good work ahead. Conversations coming with Joe Grilliot from Ohio, Matthew Burch from Oklahoma. and Byron McMillan from New Mexico. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show we don't just talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today I'm joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Chester Trocha. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and being willing to tell your story.
Chester Trocha: Brian, it's great to be here.
Brian Mueller: Chester, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Chester Trocha: Yeah, actually, I'm from Hawthorne Woods, Illinois, which is about an hour northwest of Chicago. And I've been retired for the last four years. Right now, I'm a co-convener for Illuman of Illinois. I've been doing that for the last three years and also involved in my church as well. I've got four kids and happily married.
Brian Mueller: Great. Now let's dive in and talk a little bit about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop. It's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives looking for something they can't quite name. But before we dive into the why and the how, let's start here from the beginning. So, can you tell us where you made your rites?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, I made my rides in Pilgrim Park up in Princeton, Illinois. It's about two hours straight west of Chicago, along, I think it's Highway 88, and made it in 2012. It's been 13, yeah, 13, 14 years since I've done it.
Brian Mueller: It has been a while. Now, when you think back to that weekend, you know, what's the first image or feeling that comes to mind?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, it's interesting. I've been thinking about it since we agreed to do this. Really, the first one is a feeling of connection, connection with myself. There's a connection with nature, connection with other men. And then Pilgrim Park is just a beautiful and serene location. It's full of trees. It's got open space. It's got a creek running through it. And it holds a special place in my heart, as it does for a lot of Illuman, because we've done a lot of MROPs there.
Brian Mueller: Sounds like an oasis in the middle of Illinois. Actually, it does. Great. So in general terms, what was the weekend like for you? Just kind of an overall picture.
Chester Trocha: Right. The only way I can really describe that is it was an incredible experience. And it's one that I've been carrying with me since I've been there, to be honest with you.
Brian Mueller: Oh, that's great. Now, who is the Weaver? Well, the Weaver, for those who don't know, the Weaver is kind of the primary guide or the man that kind of leads everyone through the rites. And so you can tell us who your weaver was and then about how many men were at the rites.
Chester Trocha: Yeah, our weaver was Belden Lane, a lot of people in Illuman and the Center of Action and Contemplation, know Belden. He's an incredible wisdom elder. He's focused on nature. He's an authentic And fantastic storyteller. And so he was our weaver. He was absolutely incredible.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, Belden is great. And how many men were with you?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, we had probably about 35 to 40 men from all over the United States. We had men from Canada as well. And what was interesting, it was mostly a mix of Ordinary men from different walks of life. We have men from their 40s all the way to their mid-70s. I remember when in our group, we had a Mennonite minister, we had a Franciscan friar. A pastor from a church in Canada, and it was fantastic because when you're there, everybody's dressed in just casual attire, jeans and t-shirts, and it really does it. You're not wearing your garb or anything else. And it doesn't matter where you come from. Everybody's on an equal playing field when they're there.
Brian Mueller: All right. Now, without saying anything that you might consider confidential or that you'd like to hold close, what were a few moments or elements from the rites that kind of stood out to you?
Chester Trocha: A big one for me was the extensive use of rituals. All of us have been exposed to rituals in our churches. We go through But in that environment, the rituals that we used were extremely powerful. And at the time, I felt that they spoke. Directly to me or directly to my soul. And I've never experienced rituals like that before. And they were very deliberate and very moving and designed to. Deliver a message at that time. And that was a big takeaway for me. I've never been exposed to rituals. And then the other part of it is just prior to this, I never had much time myself to spend time in nature. And just allowing us, and especially with Belden, being a man of nature and wilderness, the opportunity to spend time alone, to really reflect on nature was a big takeaway for me as well.
Brian Mueller: That sounds great. Now you've had many years, more than a decade now, to kind of reflect, or maybe it was something really in the moment, but was there one thing that impacted you strongest? Is it something that you've reflected on and you know it, or was it right there in the moment it hits you?
Chester Trocha: Yeah. I mean, the big one for me was the opportunity to spend time in small groups. We call them councils, right? And what we found is we end up in the small group, five or six men, and you're with that group the entire time. And immediately, you know, you're in the safe environment, and men just open up. And I come from the corporate world and men don't normally do that, you know, sharing each other's stories and and life's challenges. And it's amazing when you're in a safe environment how people drop their guards and they're open to share heart to heart. And, you know, and from that, I realized, you know, I'm not alone in my journey. I'm sharing my journey with other men, you know, going through the same type of thing from a different environment.
Brian Mueller: That's great. I hope this doesn't sound sort of redundant, but is there a particular memory or something that you're willing to share that captures a broad, broad perspective of what the rites have meant for you in the years since?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, yeah, there's one that you bring it up. I remember when the MROP was over and most men had left. And I sat down by a pond and I just started sobbing. You know, I went through this incredible experience, and I'm just sitting there on a bench. Nobody's there. It's absolutely quiet. And something welled up inside me. And I don't know if it was happiness. I don't know if it was sadness. I don't know if it was relief. I don't know if it was a letdown. But there's the experience of the MROP touched something deep in my soul, in my heart, that I never experienced before. And I just sat there for a long time. And deep contemplation about what I just experienced and what I just went through. So, and I know, you know, then I'm sitting there going, no, at the end, You know, I was appreciative of my life and had a renewed sense of God's presence, that there is something much larger at work. In what I had just gone through.
Brian Mueller: So it's hard to rush back to your normal life after that, isn't it? Absolutely. Let's go back a little bit to the beginning. And were there any special circumstances or things happening in your life at the time that you decided to participate?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, for me, I mentioned I was in the corporate world in my mid-50s, married. A couple of my kids were in college, the other two were in high school, kind of at that stage where kids are starting to leave. Working full time, and I was caught up in the rat race of the corporate world, to be honest with you. And I had no time for myself, no time to really step back and reflect. And I felt that there had to be something more to life, you know. And I was introduced to Richard Rohr three years earlier when he was in the area speaking. And I had a friend of mine tell me about him and really connected with his message. And I read his book, Adam's Return. He's got a book on initiation. And I was intrigued by his thoughts around male initiation and the need to shed baggage that holds you back as you enter the second half of life. In order to be a more generative man. And that was of interest for me. So.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. That makes sense. Is there, did you have Do you have like a particular goal or something that you were anticipating? Or was there something that you were fearing as you were heading into the rites? Either something you were hoping to get out of it explicitly or something that was very frightening to you before you got there.
Chester Trocha: Yeah, yeah. I was just… I had um.. Back a few years before that, I had just started on my spiritual path. My mother had died, and she was really spiritual. And something just triggered in me. And so it's just really a continuation of my path. And as I, you know, studied. The MROP, I had no idea what to expect. I knew that Richard Ruhr was the original designer of it, and so that brought a lot to the table for me. And I remember filling out the application and getting accepted. And it was a big unknown. It's like, oh, okay, I guess I'm going, right. And I was a bit anxious because it's a big commitment. I mean, basically, you're asking for five days, four nights, right? It's not just a weekend, you know. And I had never previously committed to anything like that. And so I went in with an open mind, you know, just hoping to reflect on my life and leave with some direction. You know, how can I be better with a better man and my wife? My family, my kids, those around me. You know, I'm going to be retiring in a few years. What do I want to do with my community? And the intent was to hopefully provide a better focus on what's important and how it can approach life in general, I guess, is what I was looking at.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, you'd said earlier that, like, when the rites ended, you had this moment where you. sat by yourself next to some some body of water and you let out these emotions and and actually some tears came as well. But what was it like when you got home? You know?
Chester Trocha: Well, it's interesting. Actually, my story after that is I left, right, and everybody was gone. And I'm driving home. Now, if you're Pilgrim Park's kind of out in the middle of nowhere, right? It's on the highway. So about 15 minutes into the ride. I remember stopping at a Starbucks. There's a Starbucks on the first exit. And so I need some coffee. And I walked. And I felt like incredible. I get out of the car. I mean, incredibly happy and joyous. It's like, man, yeah, I just felt like, you know, and it was hard to contain my joy. Guy, I'm walking to the Starbucks, and this old guy was walking behind me, and I held the door open for him and greeted him, you know, really joyously. And I bought him a cup of coffee. It's like, you know, it's like, God, he couldn't contain it. And then I got in my car. And then after that, it was a two-hour drive. And my recommendation: you know, if you have an opportunity to reflect after the MROP, you know, do so because. Spent a couple hours just in deep reflection on what I experienced. And then, you know, had to go to work the next morning, first thing Monday morning, right? And jump back in my routine. And it just felt foreign and disappointing. And it's like, ah, after all I had gone through with all the internal work that I was doing. to jump right back into my job with was really challenging.
Brian Mueller: So yeah, I can imagine. I know for a lot of guys, going through the rites is really is crossing a threshold, but You know, from talking to men over the years, some feel that impact immediately. Others, it's a bit of a delay. It takes some time to really settle in what that experience was all about and what it's meant to them. You know, how did you how was that for you? And how has it, you know, impacted your spiritual journey since that time?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, so what's changed? Yeah, what's changed? Yeah, so first of all, in this little journey, as I said, you go through the rites. And you got to go and get right back into your life. You know what I mean? It's like, ah, you know what I mean? So it took me a long time to unpack everything that I'd gone through. You know, it's not an immediate thing. You just went through this. For a lot of men, a life-changing moment, right, or period of time. And so to be thrust back into a regular routine was challenging. And but it made, you know, over time, you know, as I was reflecting, right, it made me reflect on some of the things I'm doing, the way I'm reacting to things. And really focusing on what was truly important. Prior to it, it was all about productivity and getting things done and really starting to spend more time With people and really, really listening to them. And it certainly accelerated my desire to continue to grow spiritually. I mean, it just triggered something in me. And also, what I realized over time, I started connecting with nature much more than I ever did in the past. It really triggered something there, too.
Brian Mueller: Great. Now, um you know, uh not that you did this or anybody needs to do this, but when you made the decision to attend the rites, I don't know if you told your you know and certainly you had that conversation with your wife, but I don't know if you talked to friends or other family members. How did they react to your decision to go to the rites?
Chester Trocha: Yeah. So, I mean, my wife has always been extremely supportive of my journey, and that's critical to anybody going through it, right? I mean, Yeah. So she was really supportive. A close friend of mine at our church was actually the person that talked me into going to the MROP. And so he was he encouraged me to attend. And actually, over about three, four years, he wanted me to do it. And I just wasn't ready. You know what I mean? But he was supportive. And then what I found, I didn't really discuss it with anybody else. My kids, they asked me, but it's but the It's hard to explain to somebody what you've been through. So they're supportive and but superficially supportive, to be a good way to put it.
Brian Mueller: You know, how did those afterwards? So you come back from the rites. Yeah. Of course, a lot of those people want to know what it was like. You know, what kind of conversations did you have about the rites? Did those conversations, you know, change if you know?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, yeah, it's interesting. So the rites are impossible to explain to somebody because it's so internal. It's so. you know, personal. And I came home and tried to explain it to my wife and she listened. But it's like I said, it's so personal, it's really difficult to truly reflect what happened. And I realized that unless you've been through it, you're not going to understand it. So as time went on, I just kept it to myself. I went to retreat. You know what I mean? I just kind of kept it there because it's hard to share. It really is. And I did share my experience with a friend who encouraged me to attend, and that was really important because he understood it. And I shared things with him heart to heart. And that's important as well. So, but within that, I didn't really believe that there were any immediate changes as we talked about. And I just find myself being much more reflective.
Brian Mueller: So, right. Yeah, it's kind of a slow burn sometimes for a lot of men.
Chester Trocha: Yeah. You know, now a good way to put that is, you know, it's kind of ignited a slow spiritual churning in me, you know, would be a good way to put it.
Brian Mueller: So, yeah. Now, it's been nearly a decade and a half since you made your rites in 2012, and you've had a lot of time processing, and you've certainly gotten further involved in the men's community Illuman that surrounds the rites of passage. But what would you say has changed in your life, sort of from either from a practical standpoint, a relational standpoint, even a spiritual standpoint since you're right?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, yeah. Yeah. So during the MROP, we start each day with a morning sit, you know, we call centering prayer. And that really resonated with me. We were doing some of that, but if you're doing it for five days in a row. It really resonated with me just to sit in silence and sit in silence in the proximity or the relationship with God. And I started a daily centering practice and been doing that ever since. I've been doing that for many years now. And as a result, I find that I'm much more intentional when I connect with people and much. More in tune with nature and my surroundings. And I still have this yearning, right? Spiritual yearning. And that's an important part of my life. A couple years ago, I attended the Living School at the Center of Action and Contemplation. So it's a year-long program. In fact, Belden Lane was part of that as well. And my journey is just a continuous process. I'm engaged with Illuman of Illinois and engaged in my church, you know, kind of a parallel path there. And it's something that'll never stop. So it's just something that's part of me that I will do forever.
Brian Mueller: Well, and I think it's worth mentioning that you've now been involved in planning and helping deliver the rites logistically.
Chester Trocha: Yes, I have. Yeah. And it's amazing. It's just as amazing to be on the other side of it, Brian, and you've experienced that as well, as it is to go through it. It really is. I get so much out of it.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I echo that. So now that you've been through this rites and you've been involved with men's work for many years, how has your understanding of masculinity, initiation, and sort of our purpose in life shifted over time?
Chester Trocha: Yeah, boy. You know, I was raised in a world where a guy needs to be tough, you know, in macho. I worked in the steel mills in Gary, you know, a tough guy. And we see that, you know, really. And also as I was going through the corporate world, man, it's all eagle. You know, you got to be tough to kind of maintain, to grow, that type of thing. And that's fine, you know, as we need to build our ego structure and containers early on. But we need something different as we approach the second half of life. And those superficial containers that define ourselves don't work anymore. Yeah. And to me, just as I'm going through this and I've seen been leading the M or being involved in the MROP. You know, men, as men, we need to be shaken up sometimes, you know, to make us analyze our lives, you know, and realize that there's something greater out there, there's a power greater than us that we need to lean on. And life's now all about us. And then sometimes it's the loss of a loved one or a personal crisis, or, you know, or for me, it's simply a realization that there's more to life. And And we're looking for something more. So, um, yeah. So that's what the men's rites of passage did for me. Um You know, when you lift the veil and approach life, and you look at the world differently after that.
Brian Mueller: So You know, we're hoping to have we're having this conversation with the hope that men will be listening to this, the ones that are considering, you know, that are going through something in their life or considering. Having some spiritual questioning or want a deeper experience in life or considering participating in the rites, but they're wanting to get more information, they're just not sure. So, what kind of counsel would you offer? A man who's trying to discern whether or not to participate in the rites this year.
Chester Trocha: Yeah. I mean, so first of all, I would pray on it, right? I mean, basically, it's not something you just jump into, it's something that triggers in you, and there's a yearning to do that. There is a book that Richard Rohroth wrote called Adam's Return, and that gives a good summary of the initiation process and what to possibly expect there. And the other thought is to reach out to other men who've gone through the MROP. And if you're not exposed to them, you know, we've got the Illuman website, the Illuminative Illinois website. Website, you know, www. Illuman. org. We've got information on the MROP there. And if they're interested, and again, I'm In Illuman of Illinois, get on our website and there's an opportunity to connect with us, and some one of us will get back with you to talk about it some more.
Brian Mueller: Absolutely. And there's the Illuman community at community dot Illuman dot org, which is kind of like our Yeah, I left that out.
Chester Trocha: And that's really big too, to join that community. And anybody can do that. You don't have to be part of Illuman to join that community.
Brian Mueller: So yeah, and I would say I would just add, too, that if men are interested, they can join you and me this year at the Illinois Writes, which is going to be August 12th through the 16th. We'll be there to help support them through it. And if they want to reach out with questions, they certainly can do that ahead of time. So, you know,
Chester Trocha: Well, and again, if you're interested in that, you know, get on Illuman Illinois dot org or Illuman dot org. And there's a lot of information. There's a video from Richard Rohr. There's a lot of information on MROP. And we would encourage you to join us.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, and let me just the last thing I would might add, and if you have anything to add about this, is you can you can overanalyze this decision. You know, you're not going to have all the answers. It's good to go in with an open mind and a bit of an open heart to what's going to happen. It's certainly no secret. It's not a secret of rites or confidential in any big way. But to know everything that's going to happen or go on is not necessarily helpful, is it?
Chester Trocha: No, it's not at all. No, no, actually, it's all about mystery, to be honest with you. Yeah, yeah. You know, so it is. Just go in with an open heart. Just go in with an open heart and an open mind. And just know that you will take something out of it without a doubt.
Brian Mueller: Well, Chester, brother, thank you so much. Relia, we appreciate your honesty, your courage and for letting us in, giving us a window on your experience of the MROP.
Chester Trocha: Well, thank you so much. Like I said, it's been so important to me, and I do encourage other men to do it. All right. We'll see you at Pilgrim Park.
Brian Mueller: All right. Thank you. For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The Men's rites of Passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve a Illuman has been the steward of this work. Preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading Adam's Return by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, you can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org. Slash MROP or Illuman dot org slash events. Finally, if you enjoyed this podcast, don't forget to share it with a friend. You can find all our episodes and subscribe in your favorite podcast app at m-r-o-p talk dot com, and you can visit me at Brian's Poems dot com or Brian Mueller dot com. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.