Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the rites and what changed afterwards. This podcast is truly a labor of love, inspired by my own transformative experience at the men's rites of passage and my ongoing commitment to the Illuman Community. If this show resonates with you, please take a moment to rate, review, and share it on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen. You can find all of those links at m-r-o-p talk dot com. To support my work You can explore my published poetry volumes at Brian Mueller dot com. I also work closely with men and Illuman to share and teach the practice of presence. You can learn more about that at choosing presence dot org. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show we just don't talk about the rites in theory. We talk to the men who have walked the path. Today I'm joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear Exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Steve Duncan. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story. It's really special to be with you today, Brian.
Steve Duncan: Thank you.
Brian Mueller: Steve, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Steve Duncan: Well, right now I'm in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, but I was born and raised and spent most of my adult life in Southern California and Eastern LA County. Moved east in 2020 to follow our family and our grandchildren. And so we've been in Gettysburg for about three years now. and spend time doing a variety of family things and helping with grandchild pickup at school and all those sorts of things, and then getting more and more active in the Gettysburg Community, which has been really wonderful.
Brian Mueller: Thank you. Now let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop. It's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives, looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the wine and how, let's start at the very beginning. When and where did you make your right, Steve?
Steve Duncan: I did it in August of 2015 in Northern California at Camp Tamarack.
Brian Mueller: And do you recall who the Weber was and about how many men were present? Yeah, it was Jim Taylor, and there were about 32, I think. Now, when you think back to that weekend, what's the first image or feeling that comes forth for you? Probably one of the larger leaps of faith that I had taken.
Steve Duncan: I really knew. I knew nothing about the men's work. I knew nothing about Illuman. I was familiar with Richard Rohr and had been to a number of his presentations and conferences and so forth. I went really in cold to the extent to where I I actually uh intentionally chose not to drive myself. I did a carpool with another man I didn't know, but that also meant that he was in control of the driving. And so I showed up just being kind of totally open. How would you summarize the entire weekend for you, that experience? One of the reasons that I went was that I realized shortly after I retired that I really did not have any in-depth male relationships. And I really missed that. I missed that energy. And starting with the very first evening, and I was just humbled by the men I was with and the The gift that it was to be able to be with them in that kind of in that kind of setting. And then kind of that rolled on through the weekend. I never participated in anything remotely close to that kind of event. And I think that energy continued over the course of the event.
Brian Mueller: Now without sharing anything that you consider too personal or would be confidential, was there a particular event ritual that happened that weekend? Or was there an encounter you had with another man that really fans?
Steve Duncan: Yeah. Yeah, there are a couple. I mean, that first night, just the vulnerability of the men and their sharing, I ended up that first night getting off into some stuff that That quite frankly, I'd never shared, but needed to be shared. I needed to share. There was one ritual where I had some physical, personal physical challenges, not the ritual itself was necessarily all that physical demanding. And I was feeling kind of self-conscious and at ease. And one of the team came up behind me and just gently kind of put his hands under my shoulders and kind of supported me. Through that. And I kind of well up a little bit to this day, you know, 11 years later, thinking about that moment. And I've carried that with me.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, that's really beautiful. Now you alluded to this before, in terms of the circumstances in your life. You had just retired. You were familiar with Richard Rohr, and that kind of led you closer to this experience. But more specifically, what were the circumstances in your life That led you at that particular time to go to a men's rites of passage.
Steve Duncan: So we had just been fully immersed in our daughter getting married. To a wonderful man on the other end of the country and who grew up in the environment that we're living in now. And I really was looking to have a really close relationship with him. But I suddenly realized that I'd been very accustomed to having work relationships, professional relationships with folks. And I really didn't feel like I had the tools really to kind of build a relationship I really wanted to have with them at that point. And that was one factor. And so I'd asked a friend who a long time friend who I'd known forever who and I just kind of said, you know Do you have any thoughts, any ideas on this? Because he had three grown sons, and I figured he'd have some good insights. And so he had gone to the rites five years before that. And so he recommended that. And in your introduction, Brian, you mentioned the thing that I think Richard Rohr talks about, that for men, we have this thing kind of going on inside of us. It's a nagging, it's an urge. It's a feeling we can't name it. We can't really describe it, but it's something that we know needs to be addressed. And I guess that's what I was kind of feeling.
Brian Mueller: So you made the decision to attend the rites of passage. And I know you, as a dedicated family man, you were very involved with your daughter and her life and your Grandkids. And so I imagine you told them that you were going to, you know, your wife and your daughter, and perhaps even a spiritual director advisor that you were going to the rites. What was their reaction?
Steve Duncan: Well, at that point, our I have to admit, our daughter was living cross country and I well, I told her about it, we didn't really get into it in detail. But my wife has probably been my biggest cheerleader in terms of doing this. I mean, she was all in before I was all in, quite frankly. And, you know, we're coming up on our 53rd wedding anniversary this next month. So, you know, she knew what my journey was. And to the extent to where I mean, she drove me to Los Angeles to drop me off for my ride to the rites. So she was she was happy to be a part of that. So yeah, she's been an enthusiastic supporter of my participation in Illuman ever since.
Brian Mueller: So I've never been to Camp Tamarack. I can imagine, you know, having been to some of these rites and these experiences, you're going into a more wilderness setting or natural setting for this event. I'm curious to know how you felt as you pulled up to Camp Tamarack.
Steve Duncan: So turns out we were the first car to arrive. I think we were actually a little early, but it was. It was up in the High Sierras, beautiful, just amazing, amazing area. But yeah, it was it was it was rustic. And I guess in a way the fact of landing in a place like that, and in a way, kind of just being in nature like that, kind of relaxed me a bit. Because the team was working hard and the welcome was very gracious and generous. And so I think in many ways that really put me at ease in terms of just settling in and very honestly just letting it happen.
Brian Mueller: Did you have any expectations going into the riots or something you wanted to be initiated into?
Steve Duncan: Wow. You know, I think really it was a matter of really being present to my relationships with men throughout my life, both family, neighborhood, friends, church, all of that. And looking forward to using that as a way to really challenge me. on what my part in that would be. And I figured this would be an experience where there'd be a lot of interaction with men that would help me define that for myself a bit. And probably I figured, given that I'd spent a lot of years trying to be in control of things, it was good for me to not be in control and to not try and predict or judge or or control the expected outcome of something. And I think that part of it was really good.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, that element of control, I can that resonates for me. But so I was going to ask you, is there anything that you were fearing heading into the rites?
Steve Duncan: Oh, I think probably you know, the you know, again, particularly you know, I had no idea what the age range of people would be and and as a kind of new elder, if you will, you know, that old thing of being embarrassed among the younger, fitter guys. And so forth. So a little bit of that. I wasn't sure whether I was spiritually equipped or adept for the group that was there, I just really didn't know. And so I think probably a little bit of that was there. But I think, quite frankly, the three of us, because we picked up another fellow on the way up. And we had really a great time in the car. To some extent, it was a it was a small car, so we had all our gear in there and I think it was kind of like the the proverbial clown car as we kind of made our way up the mountain. And but we had a good time. But I think that really kind of helped in many ways. I'm really glad I look back on that and I think that was a great way to start the event for I actually recommend to people, you know, try and try and find somebody to buddy up with on your journey to the rites.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, so I don't like to just glaze over the entire event, but so it's a four night, you know, five day parts of five days event. You know, it's a big experience, but at some point it does come to an end and it's time for you now to head out. And like you said, you carpooled with some guys up to Cap Tamarack, so you were leaving with other men. But I'm curious to know how you Felt immediately after the rites, if not just a few hours, maybe the day or two after that.
Steve Duncan: The term that just comes to mind is: I was really jazzed. I was less tired than I thought I would be, even though sleep was certainly not a big part of the time. I was excited about continuing the work, continuing the relationships, following up with the men who were there. As I could, and there are a number of them that I have been able to stay in touch with 11 years later So yeah, I was excited. And the good thing was that I was able to connect right away with a local chapter and continue that shortly after we got back.
Brian Mueller: So what has changed in your life practically, relationally, spiritually, since Making Your rites?
Steve Duncan: Well, I think one thing that was I haven't touched upon that was a completely new experience for me was really contemplation. that first contemplative set we had, the first mooring, it was when they could still have a fire in that area, which sadly is not so much the case anymore. there in California. But to this day, when I have a set, I will sensorily remember the smell of that fire as I do a set. And that really opened the door for me in terms of a more full and rich contemplative practice as part of my life. That was really the opening for me at that point. And to do it with a group of men altogether like that was really special for me. And even though I do individual work, I mean, I really find the group practice to be particularly powerful for me. And I think the other would be really looking at, I think, broader relationships with men that wouldn't normally be part of my community or circle, if you will. I've that's been something that I've really appreciated coming out of it. And it really kind of opened the door for that.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, you mentioned several times the significance of developing relationships, especially with men. So I'm curious to know how have your conversations with men and how have your relationships with men gone since it's the rites?
Steve Duncan: So I'm an introvert by nature, and so I'm not out there kind of beating the bushes so much, and I'm not a joiner necessarily. So I think it's still a continuing work in progress for me in terms of how best to navigate that relationship territory. One of the things it has done is it's challenged me to take the initiative more in reaching out and connecting not waiting for the invitation per se. One of the things it's done, it's allowed me to feel more comfortable just showing up places sometimes where I don't necessarily know anything. And I think that's how you and I met. quite frankly, where I just showed up. And so I really value that.
Brian Mueller: So how long did it take you or when did you begin to realize the impact of the rites on your life and on your spiritual journey?
Steve Duncan: you know, it's different aspects of it have have emerged or blossomed at different times, quite frankly. I think probably the Contemplative practice was probably one of the most immediate. The other thing that came out over the course of that work was the absence of grief work in my life. I realized profoundly that I had a lot of that work still to do. And I did kind of get engaged with that in some different ways almost immediately after after the rites. That was probably the more most powerful one initially.
Brian Mueller: Have the rites changed your understanding of masculinity, initiation, even the male journey through life?
Steve Duncan: I don't know if it's changed a Brian as much as expanded it and and affirmed in some respects. You know, I in my working life, I was exposed in many different ways to the consequences of toxic masculinity and its impacts on people and workplaces and communities. And so I've always had a concern for that. And I think maybe the rites gave me more Language on how to describe that and how to engage it when I do engage it, if that makes sense. But that's Yeah, that would be one thing.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, you know, we came to know each other because you showed up at a writing retreat that we did in Ohio a few years ago And I know you as a man who's been active in the Illuman community. We were talking about how you had participated as an initiator in the rites where Mike Clawson, one of our previous guests, had made his rites. And I know you've been involved in so many different things. Have you also been involved in the elder rites of passage? Yes. When did you do that? Let's see, that was 2023. And can I ask you to kind of just tell us why you went on to do the EROP and then maybe just give give men an understanding of what's the difference between the elder rites and the men's rites and why you took that step?
Steve Duncan: Well, I think I'd actually been considering for some time. I was aw when we were still living in Southern California, I became aware of the fact that it was being developed and was being offered. And I was interested at that point, but then our move occurred and the pandemic occurred and all that sort of stuff. I think what I'd understood it to be before I went was really not a Not a repeat of the MROP or even necessarily a building on the MROP, but taking a lot of the same ritual and elements of the format of the MROP, but putting it in the context of Of work that was specifically for us to do as elders, and not necessarily even by virtue of age And again, I also learned from other men that I talked to that there was some not more, but different kinds of attention to grief work there, which I think was profound for me. also found that it built upon some of the work that I did do at the MROP, but I think that was on an individual more my own individual basis. Again, I found the rituals there to be particularly meaningful and powerful for me at that stage for me in elderhood. I think the thing that's kind of interesting, Brian, is that for that age group, your needs and the points of intersection of the rites with your life Do change based on how you're moving through that elder journey by virtue of whether you're still working, what your family relationships are, your marital or significant other relationships are, what your health. is like, because I think part of what you're now dealing with is some of those issues of mortality that we all have to wrestle with. So I found that to be profound there. And so I was at a different stage with that when I did the elder rites than I was when when I went to the MROP.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I found it interesting that in recent years they've developed what they call the Elder's Weave to allow men and women to both participate in that. You know, my understanding is that the journey for men and women kind of converges as they get into those later years. Is that your experience as well?
Steve Duncan: I have not participated in the weave. Mine was exclusively men, so I don't know that I can speak to that. I have a spouse who's extraordinarily active in her spiritual life. She's a spiritual director herself. And so we've had a chance to very actively partner in a lot of this work together. So I definitely would agree with you that I think those things do definitely come together. And I presume that that since I've understood a lot of men have done the elder weave with their spouse, with their partner, that that's been a very powerful process for them
Brian Mueller: You touched on something there that I think must be awful helpful, is the fact that your spouse is very engaged in her spiritual journey as well. I imagine that that makes it a little bit easier for you as well.
Steve Duncan: Easier and it holds you a little bit more accountable as well.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. So, you know, one of the aspects of the rites of passage that I think is so important is that it usually clears some space for a man to get more in touch with his gifts and who he is authentically. And I'm wondering, you know, after you've gotten involved in this and you've been around for about a decade, has it awakened some passions in you or have you found some gifts that you didn't know you had?
Steve Duncan: Yeah, I think, or some gifts that I found I could express in different ways. I think I spent a lot of my my working life kind of being in the background or being somewhat invisible in some ways and not really putting myself in a position of people knowing much about me. Quite frankly, that was kind of the nature of my work. So I think being a little bit more vulnerable about that and being more comfortable stepping out because the role of being a a stoker, for example, helping to guide councils and so forth in the MRP. And I think I did that for you at the Writing Retreat. that that's something that I both enjoy doing, but I also feel like it's something that I bring some gifts to. And so I've been trying to step into that more. And that's been great.
Brian Mueller: That's been a wonderful gift for me. Absolutely. Council is such an important part of this work. And I think that's why Illuman has done more work around council training. So being a gifted stoker for council is wonderful. Yes, thank you for that. I do want to ask you also, since you've had both the elder rites experience and the men's rites of passage experience, for the man listening and he's considering whether or not to participate in rites, can you Give him some advice about participating in either rites of passage and how to make that choice.
Steve Duncan: I've known men who've done both in a short period of time. And that's worked for them. I mean, one thing that comes immediately to mind for me, Brian, is that since I was already kind of an elder by virtue of age and life position when I went to the MRO P. One of the other things I should mention that I forgot to, that I was also looking to make sure I was having relationships with men of a variety of ages and situations in their life. That I wasn't just with men of my own age or my own position, if you will. So that was one of the things I really got out of the MROP: being able to be with men who were on their journey at all ages. And so that was one aspect of the MROP. that I really valued and really got. The EROP was obviously brought together men of more of a similar generation. And so being able to hear their stories and how they were approaching that stage of life was really valuable as well. So I think it may be a matter of looking at your life now, which area seems to need tending. So I want to ask you, what keeps you coming back to the rites?
Brian Mueller: What keeps you coming back?
Steve Duncan: I learned something new about myself, my journey. I find there are things that get awakened to me that I wasn't even aware of. by virtue of participating again. I think the rites are so rich that you don't fully get it all at one time. There will be some aspects of it that really hit home the first time, but don't come back until later. And so and then I guess the other is every time it's a different group of men. And I find that just awesome to be able to engage with another group of men and just realize how quickly we do engage with each other by virtue of the way the way the rites work and touch us. So so yeah, it's a gift every time.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I'm hoping I can ask you a personal question now. How is your Your relationship with your son-in-law?
Steve Duncan: Ah, great question, Brian. Actually, it's really good. It's really good. I mean, we still have very different backgrounds and lifestyles and and comforts. But I think we just actually got back from a family vacation with all of all of the family and grandparents and multi-generational, and we had a great time together. And I think we have a good deal of mutual respect for each other. And so, yeah, it's good. I feel very comfortable. I am very thankful that he's the man in our daughter's life. That's something that I do not take for granted at all. I'm quite thankful for.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, that's wonderful. So I'm going to close this off here. I'm going to read a poem. I've only done this once before, and I'd just like you to after I read it, to comment on it. I'm going to read it twice. You'll know the poem. But since you came to our writing retreat and I know you as a writer and a lover of poetry, I thought this would be an appropriate way to end our conversation. It's called The Way It Is by William Stafford. There's a thread you follow. It goes among things that change, but it doesn't change. People wonder about what you are pursuing. You have to explain about the thread. But it is hard for others to see. While you hold it, you can't get lost. Tragedies happen People get hurt or die, and you suffer and get old. Nothing you can do can stop time's unfolding. You don't ever let go of the thread. Hmph. Say a few words about that.
Steve Duncan: for me, the thread that is so present for me is the relationship with my wife, with Amy. There are times I look back and wonder, why the heck is she still choosing to be with me? And I am so thankful for that choice that she's made. She's been with me through the entire journey, the ups, the downs. challenges with addiction and so forth and and the fact of being able to be be spouses, be partners, to have been parents together, to now be grandparents together. That that's the thread that
Brian Mueller: Is ever present for me. Thank you. That's so beautiful. 53 years. Congratulations. You know, brother, I want to thank you deeply for your honesty. your courage and vulnerability and you've given us a window on your experience at the MROP and really just more broadly on your life journey. So I love you, brother, and I look forward to seeing you. I love you too. Thank you so much, Brian. Appreciate it. For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The Men's Rites of Passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve Illuman has been the steward of this work, preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading Adam's Return by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, you can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org Slash MROP or Illuman dot org slash events. Finally, if you enjoyed this podcast, don't forget to share it with a friend. You can find all our episodes and subscribe in your favorite podcast app at m-r-o-p talk dot com, and you can visit me at Brian's Poems dot com or Brian Mueller dot com. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.