Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the rites and what changed afterwards. This podcast is truly a labor of love, inspired by my own transformative experience at the men's rites of passage and my ongoing commitment to the Illuman Community. It's also informed by my work with Choosing Presence, where we believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction Choosing Presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence dot org slash app. And if you'd like to support the show, I invite you to learn more about me and my work as a poet at BriansPoems dot com. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second. shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today I'm joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Mike Clawson. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story. Thanks, Brian. I'm looking forward to this. Mike, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Mike Clawson: I'm in Austin, Texas. I am currently in between jobs, so I have a lot of free time on my hands. I was formerly was working for Illuman, which is the organization that puts on the the MROP, um, the men's rites. And these days I'm I spend a lot of time with my kids. My youngest just graduated high school, so I am Technically, an empty nestor, although she's still living at home. So I try to maximize time with her and with her older sister. so that, you know, they're growing up fast and they're they're already starting to fly the nest a bit. Love getting outside here. It's a little hot this time of year in Texas, but But otherwise I'm outdoors as much as I can and yeah, spend a lot of time reading, spend time with friends, trying to do the things that I don't always make time for when I'm working full time.
Brian Mueller: Now let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop. It's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives, looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the very beginning. Mike, when and where did you make your rites?
Mike Clawson: I did my rites of passage four years ago. in twenty-twenty two. And I did it at Johnsonburg, New Jersey, which is a small camp out in the hills. Yeah, it was a powerful weekend. Do you recall who your Weaver was and about how many men were there? Jim Taylor was the Weaver. He's well known to a lot of guys that have done this men's work, real dynamic personality. And I'm you know, it was a seemed like a big group to me. I don't know how it compares to others. I think there was maybe sixty or seventy men that went through it. We filled up one hole, like half of a gym.
Brian Mueller: Might have been a mighty I don't know, could have been closer to 100. I'm not sure. That's a good size, yeah. So, when you think back to that weekend, what's the first image or feeling that comes forth for you?
Mike Clawson: Sitting outside in the woods in the rain for the better part of a day, just silent myself and with nature. And it was freezing. It was it was like fifty degrees and raining. But, you know, without giving too much away, that wa that was A big part of the experience for me was just that time to just be solely alone with myself and with the more than human world.
Brian Mueller: And when you think back to that weekend as a whole, how was that experience for you?
Mike Clawson: It wasn't entirely novel to me. I had done similar men's men's work kind of experiences and and rites type experiences in the past with other organization. So I I went in kind of having a rough idea of what to expect. What I found was that The the rituals, the practices, the talks, the things that we did there unlocked things that I hadn't unlocked before. Or griefs and hurts and wounds and desires that I hadn't excavated yet. So just it created it not just created a container, but it created a it gave us tools or practices or it put us in circumstances that made it possible for us to go places that I hadn't gone before.
Brian Mueller: So without sharing anything you'd consider confidential or maybe too personal, is there a particular memory or an encounter that you had with another man that you're willing to share with us from your rites?
Mike Clawson: You know, the strongest memories for me are with my council group. Council being the small groups of men that we meet with while we're there. And there's a practice, the way of council, where it's just men speaking from the heart, listening from the heart. And I just remember sitting around that group of logs with these guys and hearing the uniqueness of each man's story. and yet also feeling like this kinship. A few of their lives were very different than mine, and yet there was just like a camaraderie or brotherhood or You know, they they say, men, like we bond in when we face adversity. And just being in that setting where it's not adversity so much, but you know, like you're doing this hard work together. individually, but also together. And it just it draws you together. It it created bonds. So yeah, when I well, I and I shouldn't even share any specific thing that was said by the men in that group, but just that sense of Being present with one another and fully present. That's really, I mean, we that the practice of counsel really emphasizes that That you're not, there's no crosstalk and you're not giving feedback to anyone. So you're not sitting there thinking of what you're going to say in response to anyone. You're just listening and just present. And that was powerful to me.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, thank you for that. So going back to before you actually participated in the rites, what were the circumstances in your life that kind of led you to participate? What was going on?
Mike Clawson: Well, for me, I had actually just started working with Illuman. And so part of my motivation was, well, I'm working for this organization. I need to experience their signature their signature offering. But there was also a I was going through a transition period professionally where I had spent the previous five years building a business. actually launched a festival in Austin, Texas, because Austin needs more festivals. And it was a success and we were and we were building up to kind of the second one and then COVID happened. We had to move it all online. And then eventually that just kind of fizzled out 'cause everybody got sick of being online, you know. And so there was this period of grieving for me. I was I was letting go of this passion project, this thing that I had put my heart and soul and time and resources into for five years, and it just kind of all fell apart through no fault of my own. There's a there's a s quote from Star Trek. Where Captain Picard says, It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life. And I had gone through this experience where, through no fault of my own, I lost this really important thing. And so grieving that and trying to figure out kind of who am I after that, you know, when you wrap up your whole identity in something and then you lose it. it's disorienting. So I was I was still very much in that kind of space of trying to, I guess, find myself again and and grieve the loss of who I thought I was and was going to be.
Brian Mueller: So when you made the decision to go to the rites, and presumably you told family members, you told uh loved ones, you told uh friends, maybe even like a spiritual director. But what were their reactions to your decision?
Mike Clawson: Some were surprised because they knew that I had already done a similar thing through an organization called the Mankind Project. And they're like, well, you know, didn't you already do that? You know, what's the difference? And not that they weren't supportive, they were just kind of like, well, you know, you've been there, you've done that, you've already engaged with men's work. Why? Why are you doing this? You know, I found that the experiences to be different because it's not like there's just one thing that we need to work on as men or as human beings. And so whereas like the Mankind projects They call it their new warrior training adventure. It was very, it was mostly about being a man of integrity and a man of your word. And it was about. Excavating certain things in your life, but more just around. Well, if you're familiar with these four masculine archetypes that Was it Robert Moore, I think, wrote the book about that? Yeah. So king, lover, warrior, magician, king, warrior, magician, uh, lover, magician. And I found that MKP was a lot of king and warrior Energy. It was about stepping into your power, being a man of integrity, using your power for the good of others, owning responsibility. And that was really good. And that was partially a thing that I needed at the time that I did it. But when I came to the right and when I came to the work that Illuman does, I found it to be a lot not king and warrior so much as lover and magician. Leaning into those parts of yourself that feel deeply and get beneath the surface of your emotions. People that are working towards transformation, moving beyond, not just like stepping into who they are, but also moving beyond who you are to who you can become. And so that transformative aspect was important to me. And so I think explaining that to people that were surprised that I was doing it. And yeah, because I like I had said, like I said, I needed some transformation. At that point in my life, I needed to um shift from who I had been to who I was becoming.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, thank you for that explanation. Presumably, some of the men that will listen to this Will also have experience perhaps with Mankind Project, another training program that they do, or maybe just considering what are my options and what is the difference between a men's rites of passage and Mankind's offering. So, thank you. I want to ask you, so the day comes for your rites. You fly from Texas to New Jersey, presumably. Head out to Johnsonburg. I mean, you had - I probably had to fly to Newark or something like that and then drive. a considerable distance to get to the camp. What I'm curious about is, were you carrying with you any expectations? Or was there something you hoped to be initiated into when you arrived at the Wrights?
Mike Clawson: I came in knowing more about it than I think a lot of people do because I was working for the organization. And so I I had an advantage that I don't have I kind of wish that I hadn't had because I I would have liked to have gone into it a little more blind, a little more just kind of open to whatever was going to come. So I mean, I would say to most people, like, try not to come into it with too many expectations. come into it just with a sense of openness to whatever gets stirred up. But I I knew kind of some of what was gonna go on and I and I did come in with An eagerness to do that specific work. I knew that there was going to, you know, spoiler alert, but I knew there was going to be some grief work I knew there was going to be some kind of working on core wounds. And I was really looking forward to that because I came in saying, Yeah, I got a lot of grief right now about lost career and lost relationships and and just life not working out the way I'd I had thought it was going to. And I came in really eager to Get at that stuff, to process it, to find because uh what I what I found is that, you know, it's it's one thing to talk about those kinds of things. And I'd done therapy for years, but it's one thing to talk about that stuff. It's another thing to really In an embodied way, work with it. Not just talk and think, but like do something with the grief that you're carrying or with whatever you're carrying. And so I was.
Brian Mueller: Really looking forward to it working with it in a more somatic way. Was there anything you were fearing as you headed into Wrights?
Mike Clawson: It it's hard for us to kind of go into s us as human beings, as men, to go into um circumstances and not think of worry about what other people think of us. At least I I do. And so I still had this idea of like, well, what if I say something wrong? What if I'm too vulnerable? And some of that might have been because I did work for the organization and I kind of was like, well, you know, I'm balancing this. This tension between just being here as Mike and being here as an employee. So I had a little bit of fear around that. But I think it wasn't just because of that position I was in. It was also because that's just Who I am and who I think a lot of people are is just that that worry that other people are going to judge us or who we are or how we are, and that fear of being vulnerable, fear of being real. Yeah, so I went in a little bit a little bit guarded, a little bit unsure of how vulnerable and real I wanted to be.
Brian Mueller: It's understandable. Thank you. So you get through the weekend. It's a four-night, five-day ritual event, but eventually it does come to an end. There's a closing ritual and there's some final councils and now it's time for you to depart Johnsonburg and head back to the airport. How were you feeling in those moments that uh right after the rites ended?
Mike Clawson: Gosh, I remember feeling lighter. Yeah, that some of the rituals and some of the practices had helped me release some things, helped stir up some things that I was able to then let go of. I just remember feeling kind of elated or giddy of like, wow, you know, this is going to sound I don't know. Well, I don't know how this will sound, but it's just like I got to cry. you know, treat me the event, which I do. It's not like I'm I'm not one of those guys that doesn't cry. You know, I cry at movies and stuff. And but there was sense of like really that release that that kind of like Crying where you just you're actually just getting it all out, you know? And I'd been able to have I'd have that. I mean, I had cried, but it was also just that feeling that you have. After you've really just cried your heart out or just released your emotions in some primal visceral way, and then you feel lighter afterwards. You feel like You know that feeling?
Brian Mueller: Yeah, yeah.
Mike Clawson: Yeah, it was like that.
Brian Mueller: So, what has changed in your life since making the rites? I'm thinking kind of relationally, maybe even practically, spiritually.
Mike Clawson: Well, you know, a couple of things. One, I just talked about that release, but I also discovered that things come back around. So it's not like the things that I worked on there were just gone forever. I was still carrying some of that grief. I was still was still a part of me. So realizing that the work was ongoing and that I I needed to take kind of some of the things that I experienced and learned there and keep doing them, keep applying them. I think also I did take with me more of that A deeper understanding of that practice of counsel, speaking from the heart, listening from the heart, and tried applying that in just normal life with normal conversations with people of really practicing the presence of people. being fully there with them rather than just kind of in my head thinking about the next thing, which is a very, you know, at the end of the day, it's like it's it's kind of selfish, right? Like we're we're constantly just we're not really listening to someone else. We're just think worried about what I'm gonna say or how I'm gonna be perceived. How I'm going to get out the things that I wanted to say. And so letting go of that and really learning to value the other person in a way that they can feel. So that they feel heard and seen and less alone.
Brian Mueller: So yeah, I came away with that as well. Have the rites impacted your relationships and even the conversations you have with other people? And if so, how?
Mike Clawson: Well, I mean, yeah, like I was just saying, I think that's the biggest thing is really trying to be present in a way that people can feel. They feel seen and they feel heard and they feel like uh the things they said mattered and that they weren't. Alone, even you know, like you have that sense sometimes where you feel alone even when you're surrounded by other people. And I think it's because other, you know, it's often because other people are not fully present with you. And so Yeah, it's it's shifted my friendships, my relationships. I I hope that my friends feel like I'm more present with them since I did the rites.
Brian Mueller: So how has your understanding of masculinity, initiation, or the male purpose in life shifted since you made your rites?
Mike Clawson: This might be controversial, but I don't see the rites as something that's just for men or even specifically about being a man. I went in that was something surprising to me, actually. I went into it because it's called we call it the men's rites of passage. Illuman focuses specifically on men's work. But really, the things that I experienced there and the things that we did is just human work. It's something that is irrespective of gender, really. It's something we all need. In fact, I got I got home and I told my therapist about it and she was like, Well, I want something like that. Is there like anyone doing rites women's rites of passage? So yeah, I really it's it didn't shift my Perception of masculinity. I can see how it would, though, for a lot of guys if you were coming as the kind of guy that Had never experienced that with other men before that because I mean, let's be real. I mean, a lot of guys don't have the ability to be vulnerable. Or often or real about their feelings or their emotions with other men. And that wasn't true for me. I had had lots of opportunities in my life and lots of men in my life, and in part because I had already previously encountered the Mankind Project, which also creates a similar freedom to be vulnerable for guys. So for me, I already had that in my life. And I had already worked through how to be a man that lives more authentically into his feelings and isn't afraid to be vulnerable with others. But if you've never experienced that before, then the men's rites of passage would definitely be revolutionary in your understanding that men can go there and we can be that. without threatening whatever other parts of ourselves that we think also comprises our masculinity.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, thank you. I appreciate your perspective on that and wholeheartedly agree that But this is the kind of work that both men and women really need to do. Pushing back a little bit on that, is there a case to be made for men doing this work in men-only spaces?
Mike Clawson: Yeah, absolutely. Just because of the way that we're conditioned as men, it's hard for us to do that and be that with women. I mean, I think that's especially true for heterosexual men. Because we have this constant pressure to perform, to impress, to act differently when women are around. And that's that's not something you can deprogram from easily. And so to even have the conditions where you could begin to think about opening up in those ways, it's probably necessary to take out that variable. But you know, and I don't think that's only heterosexual men because even if you're not attracted to women, you're still socialized into this way of being. And you're also there's also a sense in which women need men to be a certain way because of patriarchy, because of kind of the systems of power and power difference in our structure in our society. Women need men to be safe because a lot of men aren't safe. And safe is a thing that Men have to work to get to sometimes. Sometimes men don't know how to be safe yet, or we don't even realize that we've been unsafe. And so the rites are a place where you start to do that work. start to become the kind of man that can be safe for others. But it has to go through kind of a a valley of Working through the parts of yourself that are less presentable and less safe. So, you need a container that can hold that. the best container for that is with other men who aren't going to be threatened in the same kind of way. And so we we hold each other as we do this hard work of becoming healthier, safer men, if that makes sense.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. And I've noticed over the years since the elder rites were developed, they expanded that work to include what they call an elder's weave. I think there's been the understanding that's come from doing work in the later stages of life that the spiritual journey of men and women kind of merges back together, even in this culture, in this time and place. And so now they have an event that does incorporate both the journey for men and for women as well. And some of the men that I've I've interviewed have have been on both of those experiences, both the Elder Wrights or the Elder Weave as well.
Mike Clawson: So I mean, it's it's a both and, right? Like It would be ridiculous to think that the men's rites of passage or the work that a lumen does is the only thing that a person should engage with. You know, like I need men's work in my life, but I also really need to be with women and do similar kinds of work with them as well. You know, so it it's yeah, it it's not an e either or. But I but like I said, sometimes you have to do the the gender specific work first before you can be the kind of person that's safe to do that work with others. But yeah, I mean, even for myself, I'm kind of moving past the desire to kind of do men's work specifically. I find this hunger to be in more mixed gender groups. Just because there's some richness there that I that can be missing too if you're only ever doing your deep work with men. So well, for a long time I've had a small group That we call a porch circle, like sitting on a front porch together. And it's like a council, but it's co-ed, it's mixed gender And that's been really rich too.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, that reminds me, Mike, I was at the Wild Goose Festival with you back. I think it was 2024 that summer. We held a council for some of the festival goers, and that was both men and women. And that was an incredibly deep and rich experience. So that was that was wonderful.
Mike Clawson: Yeah. And well, and ag yeah, again, I mean, the the way of counsel, the practice of counsel is also not a gender specific thing. It's It's just a useful tool for how to gather people in groups to go deeper. Yeah. I you know, I wouldn't I would advise people not to come in to the rites thinking that it's just about being a man or about masculinity. It's just a container to do your inner work. And the fact that it is kind of all men makes it hopefully makes it easier to do that inner work. Although I'll be honest, like I found that challenging as well in a good way, but challenging to me because I I don't always feel safe with men either. Like in the s same way that women don't feel safe with men, men don't feel safe with other men sometimes because We're the harshest enforcers enforcers of our own emotional stuntedness.
Brian Mueller: There are homosexual men that ask me, is this a safe environment for for men who aren't straight? And I you know, I can assure them that it is, but you know, I can understand their their reluctance.
Mike Clawson: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because queer men and gay men have Often b borne the brunt of toxic masculine behavior. And even though I'm straight, like I also experienced that growing up. You know, I came from a very Rather violent, rural, you know, Midwestern small town background, and you know, where the only things to do were hunting, fishing, working on your truck, and fighting. You know, I got into a disproportionate number of fights in my high school years and I wasn't even, you know, that kind of guy, but it was just people were aggressive and that's what it meant to be a man was that kind of violent aggression. And it made me learn to not trust most men and to not want to be around a lot of a lot of men. Yeah, so I did go and kind of with that guard up. Like I said earlier, that was part of what was powerful about it was being able to be around other men that it was safe to let that guard that guard down with.
Brian Mueller: You know, you touched on something a little bit earlier that I just kind of want to emphasize: is that doing a men's rites of passage does not paint you into a box or preclude you from doing anything else? I think that's one of the things I like about the Illuman work, it may open you up into some other avenues and some other paths. And so I guess that's a lead in I want to offer you this question. If a man is does come up to you, Mike, and says, you know, I'm considering doing the rites Of passage. What would be your advice to him?
Mike Clawson: I think I would reiterate what I said earlier about don't go in with any expectations, go in with openness, willing to receive whatever comes. I would say go in courageously, you know, with the the bravery to to be vulnerable, the the courage to Be real, especially with yourself. I've been talking about how hard it is to be vulnerable and real with other people. It's also hard to be really honest and vulnerable with yourself. We hide so much from our own selves, things we don't want to admit to ourselves. And I'd encourage them to kind of go in willing to do the hard work of really confronting what's inside you. It does take some of that warrior energy to go in and be unafraid.
Brian Mueller: Mike, you spent three, four years as the administrator for Illuman. And people that don't know, that's a big job. When you're at the center of this organization that's kind of Geographically dispersed, and there's a lot of people coming at you from all different directions. I mean, it's a really demanding job. I have happened to have a peek at it from my position, even working within a chapter of Illuman. I really admire what you did for the organization and how you performed and responded with all these demands and all these guys coming after you. I think a lot of people would that are listening to this that know you would like to know what did you learn from being the Lumen Administrator about working in community, organization building and just anything else you'd like to say about that experience?
Mike Clawson: Community building and working in a small organization, it's all about the relationships. People want to work with you and together with you because they trust you as a person. And so that vulnerability and that honesty that was part of the MROP experience was relevant to the organization as a whole, that you had to have that same attitude. when you're when you're talking through spreadsheets or or you know planning budgets or communication strategies or whatever, you know, and and You guys, you know, Brian, you know, I like, I think of you as a friend, not as a co-worker or whatever. And I feel that way about all the men that I got to work with. It's it we weren't just like running an organization together, we were brothers that were pulling in the same direction for a shared common purpose and shared passion. you know, that bondsman together. And so I really enjoyed working with the women in that way because it didn't just feel like a job.
Brian Mueller: It felt like it felt like a real community of a band of brothers. Yeah, thank you for that. Relationships are really important in this work, and that's one of the things I value as well. So just to have really one last question, Mike. Where are to next on your spiritual journey? Or where are you heading from here? What's going on for you now?
Mike Clawson: I'm in kind of a life redefinition phase, a life reset. You know, with the job ending several months ago, and I also ended a relationship back in January And my youngest daughter graduating high school. I also moved back into a house that I owned and lived in 10 years ago, but now I'm back in it. So it's just, it feels like a lot of things in my life have been reset. And so I'm in a season of figuring out what comes next and what do I want next. It can be parenting, especially single parenting, can be really this sprint. And you never really have time to sit pause and catch your breath. And so now that I'm in this kind of whole new phase of parenting and not tied down with You know, a job or anything else at the moment. It's an opportunity to reevaluate and take a breath and look around and say, okay, Where am I? What do I want? Who do I want to be next? It's a bit daunting. It feels a bit overwhelming to kind of not really have anything in particular that's solid or certain, kind of starting from scratch. I'm trying to just take that slow. I'm trying to kind of do the simple things. There's a concept that has been misappropriated by folks in the West, but it's a Japanese word called Ikegai. And it means roughly translated your your raison d'être, which well I guess that doesn't translate it just to French. Your reason for being, the the thing the thing that gets you up in the morning and keeps you moving. And Western self-help has kind of interpreted that to mean your life's purpose, your big grand purpose. And sometimes you'll even see this diagram. It's like what you're passionate about, what the world needs, what you're good at, and what you can get paid for. And then the center is supposed to be your Ikegai. And it's not actually that. It's not some grand purpose, your Ikegai, your reason for getting up in the morning. is the simple things that bring you joy. And so when you're asking what's your reason for being what are the things that light you up and make you feel alive that are just simple and ordinary and everyday that you can find in the in any circumstances, And so I've been trying to rediscover those. I've been trying to rediscover what are the small things that get me up in the morning, whether it's going for a hike in the greenbelt near my house, or whether it's I don't know. Watching sci-fi shows with my daughter in the evening, or I don't know. Yeah, just the little things. And I'm still discovering what those are. Like I said, I kind of lost track of them when I was. sprinting with kids and job and everything else. And yeah, taking the slow one day at a time, figuring out What it is that lights me up anymore.
Brian Mueller: Thank you so much, Mike. I really appreciate your time, you sharing your story, your vulnerability, and your deep service and commitment to the Illuman community through so many years. You know, I love your brother, and I hope to see you real soon. Thanks, Brian. Likewise. For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more Allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The men's rites of passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve Illuman has been the steward of this work, preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading Adam's Return by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, you can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash mrop or Illuman dot org slash events. Finally, if you enjoyed this podcast, don't forget to share it with a friend. You can find all our episodes, and subscribe in your favorite podcast app at mroptalk dot com. and you can visit me at BriansPoems dot com or BrianMueller dot com. Thank you for listening to follow me to the M R O P Until next time, brothers, stay present.