Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the rites and what changed afterward. Before we begin, a quick word of gratitude. This podcast is brought to you by choosing Presence. We believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction, Choosing Presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence dot org slash app. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show, we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today we are joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Jared Adams. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story.
Jared Adams: You bet. Thanks for having me.
Brian Mueller: Jared, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Jared Adams: I grew up in Dodd City, Kansas. I've gotten the hell out twice. The high planes pulled me back. I got out again. Literally, no kidding. The shoot'em up, gun smoke, gunfight, Dodge City, Kansas. I worked there at Boot Hill in the summer doing gunfights. So, uh, man, I've lived it. Uh and in the last about twenty Seven, twenty-eight years I've lived near Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, what do you do? How do you spend your time?
Jared Adams: Yeah, my My day gig is similar to you. Kind of the I live in the fluid career of webmaster, video editing, audio editing, graphic design. branding, marketing. You can't hardly wear one hat anymore in the freelance world like that. So it's led to a lot of adventures and a lot of learning curves. So I do a lot of that for Lumen as well, which has been a great Way to stay connected and keep giving back to an organization that's given me so much. And then the the evening gig, the Moonlight gig, has been a touring professional singer-songwriter for Gosh, I think I started in 96, 97. So that's pretty fluid as well. So I managed to pick two. Two career choices that are always evolving and changing, and absolutely no stability.
Brian Mueller: Now let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP has a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop, it's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives, looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the very beginning. When and where did you make your rites, Jared?
Jared Adams: My rites were in twenty twelve at Pilgrim Park.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. And who was the weaver and about how many men were there?
Jared Adams: We had the esteemed Belden Lane was our weaver. Stephen Gambill was the ritual elder. I think we had gosh, ma between thirty and forty. I feel like 'cause it felt like a lot to me. But then as I got to know some guys that say, No, we used to have two hundred people at these, it really changed my perspective. But the thirty felt Great to me because I got to know everyone's faces, and you don't have a lot of time for extended conversations. You're not really there to sit around the fire every night and get to know each other. You're doing the work. But it felt like I knew a little bit about each brother, and we were all kind of in it together. So I felt that encouragement. And there wasn't this a huge chunk of guys that I didn't recognize or know. I can't imagine if you had 200 people.
Brian Mueller: So when you think back to the weekend of your rites, what's the first feeling or image that comes forth for you?
Jared Adams: Yeah, these are fun questions. I've tried to ponder some of these before our chat here, just to go back. It feels so good to replace some of those locations and places in your mind. Yeah, I remember pulling in and parking, really just knowing I had, as Tom Pawlak, a dear brother here in Michigan, would say, I just had a yes in my heart. I had no idea what was in store. I just knew something was calling me to these rites. Maybe I was an exception. I didn't have there's a long on-ramp of reading Richard Rohr for ten years and attending a lot of other retreats. My only reference really was kind of the intellectual conference type retreats that I had done a little bit as I'd gotten older. It was always the weekend built around a single theme. The goal was to take as many notes as you could and go to all your breakout sessions. That was kind of oversimplifying, but that largely was my reference for a retreat. Before I got involved with Illumina and did my rites. So ask the question one more time.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, you know, what was the image or feeling that first came forth for you as you arrived at the rites?
Jared Adams: Yeah, the feeling that came forth There was a little anxiety, but it was a really welcomed type of anxiety, if that makes sense. I could tell I was stepping outside of what I was used to, but something At that age, let's see, I can't even do the math that fast, how old I was. You know, early thirties, something felt really great about Having no idea what lay ahead. I didn't have an agenda in my handy little packet. There weren't brochures. I was really intrigued. seeing the team and seeing the location and how much energy people had put into essentially exploring a lot of the unknown together. But that struck me that This didn't feel like the highly organized, super-rigid conferences and retreats that I'd gone to. It was kind of like nothing I had experienced. But I felt drawn to that deeper than any kind of Hilton weekend retreat You know, where you get your room and you choose your breakouts and everything was structured, where your enjoyment of the event was felt more so. How could you stick to the schedule? And really get the most out of it. I had no idea what the schedule was, and that really flew in the face of everything I knew about getting together with a group and exploring a topic or a theme. So I kind of felt like I probably was just a a pinball. I just kind of bounced around for a while. Do I need to be? Can you tell me how do I get? And I loved it. I've really, in some ways, I've never looked back. It brought me to such a beginner's mind. We throw that term around a lot, but in a lot of ways, that has stuck with me. The enjoyment and the beauty of walking into something where I don't need The whole itinerary laid out before me to know that it's just going to be good for my soul if I approach it with that yes. The Tom Pawlak yes.
Brian Mueller: Given that this was kind of a unique experience for you, something that you weren't familiar with up to that point. And I mean, it sounds like you had a good time. But generally speaking, how would you characterize the weekend as a whole for you?
Jared Adams: profound. Profound in the really primal but surgical ways that it unraveled me. It taught me a lot about paradox and appreciating and recognizing paradox. So maybe even primal and surgical, even that might be a paradox. Just the rustic nature to it was really appealing. Like I said, you know, my background, I grew up reformed and then As I started doing more music, I got kind of pulled into more evangelical circles. It feels like a whole other life now I've I have certainly deconstructed from that now, but but like a good scrapbook, that's part of my past. But I was still kind of at the tail end of that at my rites. So everything I was used to was about the comfort, the convenience. Mainly speakers and ideas that confirmed my own confirmation bias. I just loved the how much the natural element was a part of our day-to-day activity. And the silence. I think I had been craving silence, but I didn't know how to Find it or how to seek that out without people kind of giving you the the side eye and thinking you're well, he's he's really struggling, he's spending a lot of alone time in silence. My upbringing wasn't a thing that Certainly wasn't celebrated, but kind of had a stigma to it. You were clearly struggling if you were alone and silent. And Belden, you know, being such a modern-day wizard As I know you asked about that moment, but I've realized post-MROP and the years after how much I learned. and was blessed by what he didn't say, if that makes sense. I just reread his book, The Soulless of Fierce Landscapes. Desert and Mountain Spirituality. I I don't know if you've read it, but he talks a lot about uh the notion of the ophthalmic. Kind of learning by what something isn't, knowing something by what it isn't. We could nerd out on that for quite a while, but He really lived into that as a weaver. He didn't over instruct, which, as an Enneagram 5, I tend to do myself, and I also. Can enjoy being on the receiving end of it. There was so much space for the magic of Pilgrim Park and the magic of the rites to do its work. That Belden just loosely, like a shepherd, just kind of steered us a little bit to the left, a little bit to the right. But he never said, Here's what you need to do now. Try and have this experience as you go into the woods, think about these specific things. There was none of that. He trusted that the magic of the rites would do its work. That's certainly something I've noticed more so after. But I remember someone said maybe it was Belden or Father Bob, at least encouraged me to not take notes.
Brian Mueller: You got a notebook with you at the Wrights?
Jared Adams: I think I did, yeah. And had, you know, like our our lodging assignments or You know, the cabins. I think I maybe it started taking notes, and like one of the guys next to me or someone was like, I don't think we need to do that here. And that was so great because I was falling back into that muscle memory of, oh, I'm here for an intellectual weekend. I'm going to take notes, really get my money's worth, and I can reflect and reread these notes. celebrate how good of a note-taker I was. And I I think someone said, you know, we're not here to take notes and report back to anyone. That also really struck me and has been something I remembered that you mean we're we're just going to be here? How are we going to validate this experience? If I don't meticulously take notes and Instagram selfies, there was none of that. But I think that's helped. Keep it such a fresh, vivid memory for me 'cause that's all I have, is my true authentic memories. I don't have any notes. So I have some rocks that I grabbed from the river. Just a few items and you know, little trinkets I found in the woods during our different outings. I have those on a little bookshelf downstairs, and I can look at those and Most of the weekend will come back for me, or most of the week, I should say. So I hold a lot of memory and a few of these items that I brought back.
Brian Mueller: That's wonderful. I mean, very descriptive. I really appreciate what you had to share so far. Let me see if I can't get you to narrow it down though, though. Is there a particular experience or was there a particular encounter with another man that was especially memorable to you that you don't mind recounting?
Jared Adams: Yeah. Well, the first one, a little comical, less on the spiritual side, but recognizing the beauty of friendship and brotherhood and Illuman, every time we would have our our time alone or our time to explore, you know, the the drum would always call us back. to the next event. And Gary Meagher was the drum elder for my rites. And it never failed that I would think, you know, I better use the restroom before we go back to sacred space. I would just climb through the cobwebs and swat all the gnats and flies away and get to the stall, and I'll be damned if Gary wouldn't start beating that drum Whether it was the morning, afternoon, or evening, I thought, is he like, is he watching me? How is he doing this? So it was frustrating and annoying and such a great memory. And I've served on some MROP teams now, and hopefully again this August with Gary. So it's such a fun bookend to remember little newbie me just stumbling around knowing that something valuable was waiting for me. With these men and in the woods. And Gary played a part in that, calling me to the sacred space. And now I get to still work with Gary and still be with him years, some years later. You still have those memories.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, that's beautiful. That's funny. I it's nice for you to share a memory like that too, because the rites in some ways for a lot of guys feels like such a profound and yet also heavy event. But there's a lot of lightheartedness throughout the event.
Jared Adams: Yeah, there there can be. There were some wonderful conversations. I can remember kind of the the big picture moment of conversations was was two brothers. I had the oldest and the youngest attendees that year in my home group. I think 80 plus, and another brother was maybe 26 or 27. Not that that was a novelty necessarily, but I was just aware that I think I'm getting to hear some really epic perspectives here from both sides of not only age, but of manhood. Just stepping into manhood, having Lived manhood for 60, 70 years. That was really valuable. Obviously, there wasn't crosstalk, as we know, but Just them answering the prompts and knowing that no matter how how old you are, there can still be a longing. And just like I had, that mysterious magnetic pull. It's not specific to This perfect window of 30 to 35. You know, that's not the there's no optimum rites age. And they were both Getting so much out of it. We had lots of tears, lots of laughter. I kind of recall thinking, is there an age group? Is there a stereotype for this as I went into it? And they both helped me see, man, I wasn't quite in the middle, but it really helped me appreciate the beauty and the scope of what feeling initiated Meant. That it wasn't relative to a certain age or experience or the struggles of turning forty. It had nothing to do with that. We've all lived Vastly different yet somehow strikingly similar lives, that it meant as much for a twenty seven-year-old as it did for an eighty-one-year-old. You stayed in touch and emailed for a while. Kind of fizzled out as we were all on some of us were in different parts of the world. But I had a brother from Europe that was there, a brother from Canada. So I'm sure there were moments with one or two brothers, but the first thing that's really stirring for me was just how much was represented in my home group. It wasn't four guys, you know, all from the same cul-de-sac of suburban USA. We really came from literally different parts of the world and cultures, and that was really beautiful to me.
Brian Mueller: I appreciate the insight there. Recognizing that as a ritual event, it has the capacity to transcend different people of different ages, people of different cultures and backgrounds. Yeah, it doesn't really matter if the events if the rites fit you, they'll fit you.
Jared Adams: Yeah, absolutely. I think even then there was There was talk of the idea of the onion and the layers. On a surface level, I understood that. I'm like, well, sure. Most things have layers that might reveal themselves later. I kind of laughed it off, but holy hell, I have I have still seen layers reveal themselves in me through Shadow through even recognizing the golden shadow, you know, things I can really celebrate and honor the good parts of myself MROP just opened me up to vulnerability, compassion, empathy, self-compassion. I've seen those layers unfold deeper and deeper. almost for two decades now. It's it's really wild. And I think of I've seen some guys in the Illumina community, some of the I don't know if if I'm old enough to say the next generation of That guy's making the rites, but being involved with Illumina for a while, you know, brothers like you and knowing other chapters and leaders, I hear Some guys talk about, well, I'm not sure if I'm ready yet, or I'm reading this book, even thankfully, guys, listening to your wonderful podcast here. That are saying, I felt called a couple of years ago, but I knew I wasn't ready, or I had to work on more forgiveness. And I think that's beautiful, but so unrelatable to me. I just stumbled into it. The self-awareness that some of these guys have of knowing if they are or aren't ready for an MROP, I think that's great. It's so It's so far away from my experience. I just I had read Everything Belongs. My wife found it at a silent retreat. Literally just randomly pulled it from a bookshelf. And it was really intriguing ideas. We were kind of coming from pretty convoluted evangelical Reformed backgrounds. the exhaustion of keeping that scaffolding, a lot of the mental gymnastics for me, the cognitive dissonance it required to keep Living into that was really taking a toll. So recognizing the non-duality of everything belongs That we're all parts of a whole. Even just simple, profoundly simple truths like that. You know, and Richard's so great at just these little throwaway lines. That he probably doesn't even remember anymore. He just he says those things like you and I say, Oh, hey, how you doing? But some of those have really put a hook in me, you know, and that helped me change my whole perspective of life. But that's all I needed to know. I think there's something for me. whatever these rites are, simply based on I enjoyed that book. And kind of the the rest is it was all downhill from there. But I really also admire these guys that are doing so much work before their MROP. I feel like I did nothing but just I was just trying to survive capitalist America. I don't know what I was just
Brian Mueller: Well, I can relate to your story. And I always think of the the book Everything Belongs, I've heard Richard say, you know, it's one of his best-selling books, but he thinks that it's because of the title. Everything belongs and how that is really resonant for people. And I would say though, that even that phrase, everything belongs, really applies to the rites. You've kind of anticipated some of the questions I'm going to be asking, but one of the things I really am curious about is What was going on in your life when you decided to sign up for the rites?
Jared Adams: Let's see. We had just moved back from Nashville. Jennifer and I have have done music together with our band Annagail. Already for many years by that point, we'd signed a record deal that moved from Grand Rapids to Nashville just for sake of proximity, for management and opportunities. And shortly after we kind of found ourselves here again, we learned that we were going to be pregnant with a son. I already had two daughters. And so I I carried that with me to the MROP, not just being a father, but knowing what I was seeking and that kind of that rites hole that was in my heart. Knowing, oh, now I'm also going to be the father of a son. That was just another one of those welcomed waits, the welcomed anxiety of fatherhood and And manhood that I carried with me. Yeah, there was a lot of changes feeling a little disillusioned with with some things. I was not full blown deconstructing yet, but certainly was in the process. And our record deal was kind of largely within the Christian market and some of the labels in that industry. So I was already feeling this conflict and tension that I'm trying to move towards something that on paper checks off a lot of the boxes of hopes, dreams, success, career, but it wasn't Doing that at a soul level. It was just the very shallow, kind of nameless, faceless, career level boxes. So I was recognizing the pole. I'm leaning into something that I don't think I want. And the MROP, it helped me in many ways, have space to quiet some of the racing thoughts. And really lay those out and be honest with myself. When we played Leonard Cohen's anthem towards the end of the rites, that was extra special. One of those Those little divine moments because we already knew our son was going to be named Cohen because Jennifer and I were both songwriting admirers of Cohen, his lyricism, his perspectives. He embodies some of that Richard Rohr everything belongs-ism about life, that there is no secular or sacred. It's all one. And growing up, definitely my there was a a strong dividing line between what's secular and sacred, and what's worthy of your time and what's Not worthy of your time. And that carried over to people as well. So the rites were such a great you know, when we break the mirror, no spoilers. If anyone's listening and you haven't done your rites yet. Don't tell anyone. That's another layer that's I've carried with me for so long 'cause that I got to be one of the rock breakers because I I said to Tom Pawlak yes to every volunteer opportunity. Breaking that mirror gave me a sense of just the space. The permission, maybe is a better word. Gave myself permission. to not have to have it figured out and to wrestle with a lot of things that on the outside I wanted to present like I had I had all that shit together
Brian Mueller: So when you made the decision to go to the Wrights, who did you tell and how what were their reactions?
Jared Adams: Man, I don't think I told that many people, honestly. Still was kind of largely in a community that I didn't know if I would feel misunderstood or judged because you know, good old self-righteous Christians w we're great about I don't know about that. We love to we love to gatekeep and we also love to to deter anyone from stepping outside of any of the safe spaces. I think I maybe told my parents My mom as y m most recently probably within the last year or two. Still asks if it's the Illuminati. And if I'm involved in anything, you know, questionable and is it safe? So I did tell a friend Ted, who went the following time the Pilgrim Park did it on fourteen, he was a confidante. Yeah, I think I shared more after the fact, upon my return. than going. It was just such a cloud of unknowing to steal the term. I didn't hardly have anything to share. Besides, I'm just I'm just going on this woodsy retreat, which was the full extent that I could describe it myself. So
Brian Mueller: But it sounded like Jennifer was aware of you know, she was the one that found the book Everything Belongs, had brought that to you and I mean those were the that was sort of the breadcrumbs that led you to Learned about the rites, yeah.
Jared Adams: Yeah, yeah.
Brian Mueller: She was on board, right?
Jared Adams: Yeah, she was yeah, she was on board. We didn't know about the the very valuable, worthwhile detaching from devices and clocks and So if there is an emergency, you know, here's who to call. And so I think in a way that never having experienced that at a super safe Hilton retreat before. That was also a good kind of jarring because I loved I loved the danger of some of these things. And I say danger heavy air quotes. There's no saber toothed tigers or mammoths out there, but it was as primitive and primal as I could be in twenty twelve. Pulling up in my suburban, there was at least some separation from from life as normal. Even still, I kind of get goosebumps knowing how great that felt. Someone gets it, and someone's giving a space to cross a threshold and change our everyday normal behaviors of just sitting around talking heads and taking notes, and then we go home. I really, really appreciated that. And I think that sent her on a bit of her own retreat as well, knowing, oh, communication is cut off for a while. Yes. So certainly we talked a little bit leading up to it. And my application, some of the questions were pretty revealing answering those. I'd never really responded to questions like that before. So
Brian Mueller: I remember having her read those. You know, I do have a question that echoes one of those questions that was on your application. Initiation is sort of a loaded word in our culture. Was there something that you were hoping to be initiated into when you arrived at the rites?
Jared Adams: Funny, it's in some ways it's a non-answer, but the answer's in the question I was just hoping to be initiated into. That's as far as I got. I think just the recognition and acceptance, the embrace. That wonderful letdown, not necessarily adrenaline, but it's like a soulful adrenaline. That could possibly be the facade of manhood, the facade of having your shit together, the facade of Everything in your career is checking the boxes. You're just climbing the ladder. Some of those things we can unknowingly build around ourselves or are built for us in some cases. I certainly was guilty of that. I didn't I don't think I knew enough about Initiation and what was lacking until I got into it. It was another layer. I realized the beauty of it towards the end of the rites. Kind of like Belden in these in these apophatic ways. I knew the value of rites when I finished my MROP because I realized I hadn't had them. Up until then. So I it truly was the gold, the gift of it at the end. Yeah, I've I've seen that play out metaphorically in a lot of ways. The the gift of my rites was was just that it was the gift of exposing me to some of the lacks. That I had in my life. As a parent, from my own parents, doing the best they could. And I grew up with a farming operation in Southwest Kansas. Nothing wrong with that, but kind of a stoic family. We did the best we could. And if my life had never changed from that, I probably would have never known different. But I did have a yearning and a sense of more. It was this nameless kind of cloud that was out there as I was wrestling and struggling with simply believing my parents' beliefs, sitting in the same pew every Sunday. A lot of the Utilitarian functions of religion were really I was kind of wary of. So I think I was questioning and wrestling even as an adolescent in ways I didn't understand. But there was never any kind of threshold. Of not that we achieve manhood, but moving towards that. So I think in some ways, a long answer to your question, but I think we're all maybe just looking for that village, even a couple men. To welcome you back from when you come out of the woods on your walkabout and say, Brother, feast with us. And for a lot of ways, for me, that was some of the team members, you know, Father Bob and some of the others that I really felt held by and seen by. And man, that was all it took. The power of being seen. It was great that there were forty other guys there, but in some ways, if it was Belden Building in some wisdom teaching, and then, all right, Jared, why don't you go out for six or eight hours and then come back? Father Bob's gonna give you a big hug and then you'll have dinner together. You know that If we really distilled it down, that was my MROP. And everything else that happened was a perk. That just further solidified the need for it and the gift of it.
Brian Mueller: You bring up something that's sort of a common thread, common theme through a lot of my conversations. just how much the support, how loving the team is at an MROP, you know, creates that warmth, that sense of belonging, that sense of welcoming. I'm hearing that in your story of the rites as well. So, thank you for that. Let me ask you a little bit about the last day of the rites. So, the rites are, you know, you've gone through the closing ritual. You've made it through the weekend. It's now time to get in the car and drive back to Grand Rapids. How are you feeling at that moment as you leave, pull out of Pilgrim Park, and up the hill, back up onto the plains?
Jared Adams: Yeah, that's a great question. I feel like I kind of had the gift of epilogue, sort of the addendum attached to the end, because I had accidentally locked my keys in my car. So, as we're leaving and packing up, you're waving to guys and they're wheeling their suitcases and sleeping bags out. And you're hugging and waving goodbye, and everyone's pulling away, and I realize I'm I'm locked out. And track down a locksmith on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of Illinois. But he couldn't get there for like two or three hours, he said. So uh so Father Bob and I just sat on a stump, this old tree by the towards the entrance of Pilgrim Park, and just kind of reflected and decompressed. Because then he was able to also kind of let his guard down because he's not on team anymore and not trying to keep you at arm's length anymore so that you're having your own experience. And we just chatted for hours waiting for the locksmith to come. But that was really great. It helped me reflect, like in real time, very recent reflections. It would kind of be like the questions you're asking me now. He has to be like immediately at the end of the MROP. So that was fun. Formed a good relationship with a lot of the Illinois guys. I feel like I kind of have. brothers and and both I mean, I've brothers all over the world and Illuman, but I have felt uh like I belong to these two chapters. So that's been great. I pulled over maybe an within an hour. I think it was just the side of the road, no rest stop or anything, and just had to break down for a while. just felt that it that it wasn't sadness, it wasn't joy, it was an anonymous emotion, maybe just overwhelmed. I knew something had happened. I didn't know the extent of it. And again, I didn't have a notebook full of all my session notes that I knew I could reflect back on and sink my teeth into later. I just knew I'm leaving this thing that feels profoundly powerful, but I I have no real tangible thing to show for it except me and a pocketful of a couple of rocks. And it was just such a beautiful, overwhelming moment that I just pulled over and wept for a while. I've thought of that even at other things in life as I've had to travel that same highway. I'm like, it's probably right around here where I completely unraveled post-MROP. It was very sacred. And it felt felt safe to do. It felt Like good self-care pre-MROP, I don't recall ever pulling over to honor emotions. It was just kind of And you push through it. You know, driving has a way, like you and I talked even the other day. If you've recently been driving around the world, it does give you a kind of a different space and time To ponder and reflect, and you can kind of rewind back through some memories and moments that can be really emotional. So I've always loved that about traveling, even when touring with the band. I loved being the driver. It's like, oh man, I got eight hours to just ponder everything about everything.
Brian Mueller: No, I hear you. What has changed in your life since making the rites? I'm I'm thinking practically, relationally, even spiritually.
Jared Adams: Coming back was still kind of at the tail end of the the arc, I think, of Fully laying down the I think of it as scaffolding kind of the structure that I had built up, call it faith and religion that that I inherited just because where I was born and the family I was born into, I came back and still had a big part of my livelihood was through worship leading and a more a little bit more evangelical dynamic type churches And it really it really ruined me for that environment because it just a few short days in the woods, but in that intense honesty Being called to that intense honesty and reflection and authenticity, it ruined me to go back to that business as usual. sort of dynamic. Not naming any names, but oh, there's a lot of churches like this that there was such a push to Be incredibly entertaining and this immersive experience. But yet to me, it was lacking the beauty and the simplicity that I had just experienced. Sitting in the woods and watching the ants and watching a garden spider like inches from my face. And that was immersive to me. So coming back to The again, kind of supporting the facade, bigger, better, faster. Great things are in store. In my experience, I grew up with the God that was always about to do something. God's about to fill in the blank. It was always a couple of weeks out. Sort of prophetically speaking over people that I God is about to I sense in a couple of weeks that you just hold on, God's going to turn this around, and that really became like Sugar, pouring sugar in my mouth post rites. I couldn't stomach the show and the theater of it all. I just remember thinking, isn't if we're really, really honoring this, why isn't Jesus enough? We have these giant video screens and we've got every creature convenience you can imagine, but we're using seems like we're leaning into that a lot more to get people in here, and we're just selling them something. It honestly, without it, sounds like hyperbole, but it felt really gross to me. I would feel nauseated driving to these churches knowing How we were going to kind of be expected to manipulate for thirty minutes.
Brian Mueller: Was a performance that sounded like for you because you were doing the music and it was, yeah.
Jared Adams: Yeah. And you learn how to use hush tones and how to passive aggressively say things. I just I couldn't do it anymore. So the last church that we were involved with, that we were actually fired from, met us at the door and had all of our gear on a big loading loading cart. And essentially, like, yeah, we're we're good here. Don't need you anymore. I think I had suggested what if we because it was a launch, we were helping launch a big church What if we put away all the chairs and we just sat in circles? Because I still was so fresh with the energy of I've just sat with people being honest in a circle. And we weren't critiquing each other and feeding back. We were just hearing and seeing each other. What if we tried that here? That didn't go over well. And trying to stop some of the theatrical Manipulations of worship time. When I couldn't do those anymore, people noticed. I was like, I think you've lost the anointing, brother. But on a Saturday night those exact same things are celebrated. It is entertainment. But we would also be Kind of judged if it seemed like it was entertainment on Sunday, but it was the exact same thing. You're just trying to put on a good show. Because as I said, Jesus seemed like Jesus wasn't enough. If that's the only selling point you had, there's no coffee, there's no Fog machines, better sound system than most venues. Like, people didn't seem interested. And I I just was distraught over it.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, it sounds like you came away from the rites with a really appreciating the authenticity. And I want to highlight what you said about sort of I guess in your home council, your home group and home council, you experienced a lot of vulnerability and just straight talk that you maybe had not experienced prior. I hear that same theme of people that go to twelve step groups. I think it's jolting for some people. I think it really does shake them up and then it becomes something that you really desire. It's really hard to live without it.
Jared Adams: Absolutely.
Brian Mueller: Yeah.
Jared Adams: Yeah. It just feels so good, especially when you're aware that there's a lot that you have to catch up on. I pity some of my poor brothers that have sat in some of those early councils where I got 30 years of bullshit. I got to get out here. So hang with me. They're like, okay, please put down the talking stick. You're done now. Yeah, but I could kind of feel that in, you know, in an abstract way, I could feel when, at a heart and soul level, I caught up to my real self. And that when I'm in council now, I can respond as current Jared. I wasn't trying to. Use the right keywords or buzzwords. I wasn't coloring it to make it more interesting or less interesting, depending on You know, reading the room.
Brian Mueller: You weren't putting together a playlist or a set list.
Jared Adams: Exactly. Yeah. Exactly. Yeah. I still remember, you asked about specific moments. It wasn't with a brother, but. I do remember kind of the this hurricane of emotions when we sat down the first time and did the I am statements. I think that's what we kicked off our very first council with. So we've just had an hour or two in sacred space. We go out to our chairs, and we started with I am. And fill in the blank. And I think we were supposed to do maybe 10 rounds of that. And by the second or third one, I realized I don't know what to say. Scrambling like to just think of a dictionary. Like, what's a really great adjective or something that sounds profound? What I have Yeah, that was such a a humbling but wonderfully terrifying moment that it it was beyond language. I couldn't fall back to my usual two or three shallow words. Kind of as we do in society. Hey, Brian, how are you doing? I'm good. You? Yeah, freaking good. And then we go on. Society would grind to a halt if we were too honest in some of those moments. So I realized I had done my little my niceties. I've been polite for two or three I am s. But then I thought I'm I'm going to have to really dig deeper and I s I just remember that feeling of like, why can't I think of how I feel or how I'm doing? And that that was the huge that may may have been the crest of my MROP Hill. Anything I was holding on to, any fear like, okay, let's This isn't going to get any easier, obviously. So I might as well say yes to this now and be vulnerable. I am scared. I am. unfulfilled. You know, I am jealous. I don't remember what they were, but just vulnerable words that I wasn't used to sharing with strangers. But that was that cracked it for me.
Brian Mueller: I want to recognize you mentioned earlier that you and your wife were pregnant with your son. You had two older daughters, two daughters that are older than your son already. But as you were going through the rites, you were expecting him. That's it sounds really significant, especially in the context of the rites. So usually at this point I ask, how has your ideas and thoughts about masculinity male initiation, even the male journey through life changed and been impacted on this. And knowing too that now you have a son.
Jared Adams: Yeah, it's been a beautiful ride. One thing that I jumped into a few years after the ride, even Cohen was still just a baby. Tom Pollock and Michael Whitman had developed a really beautiful youth rites of passage around building an honest drum, but all the pieces to it were metaphors of stepping into boyhood, manhood. as well as the things that the father or mentor hopes for their son. And I've been so blessed and honored by that, they asked me to start helping out on the team. In twenty sixteen, we did our first one. So 10 years we've been doing this now, doing a twenty four hour version suited for thirteen to seventeen year olds using some of the The moments, the concept feels like too simple a word, but elements maybe is a better one. Some of the the elements of the MROP Shaping that for young men. Been a fascinating gift to see and be a part of, to see fathers and sons walking through this together and mentors and young boys. Post-MROP it, it created opportunities for me to be involved in helping that play out. Any fears or insecurities, ways I might have felt self-conscious. I've been able to help I can inject that in as well and work through that with these other dads doing the same thing. So that's been, beyond words, a gift to me. And Cohen is looking forward to doing it this year. So I'll be stepping off the team for the tenth year, and I get to do that with him. which we've both been looking forward to. I saved one of the slats that's used on the drums that Tom Pawlak just so masterfully created. I thought I'm going to keep one of these and Someday when Cohen's old enough to do these rites and we can do it together, I'll have this from ten years ago. Kind of creating the this bookmark, but I think it's helped me In personal ways, just honestly, just relax about it. So much of the religious upbringing I had, very little spirituality. I knew there was Something spiritual was calling me, but within the construct of religion, I was not finding it for sure. It was more about what you avoided, what you resisted, what boxes you stayed in. Don't do this, don't say that, don't think about this, don't entertain that, these are the people you should avoid. But then the Sunday morning messages were quite the antithesis of that Loving your neighbor and compassion. So it was very confusing for me. I think. So I say relaxing in that I realized no matter how hard I fight to maintain this construct in my mind, it's not changing anything. It's just making me miserable. So it opened me up to the larger life of seeing, respecting everyone's journey, realizing I had some of the privileges I had, or the also the things I was lacking, simply because of where I was born. And people were born all over the world, believe it or not. I don't know how I missed that. Thinking that That everyone needed to be drawn to this one idea of religion, of masculinity, of faith. That somehow we would all work our way into this funnel of domesticated, watered-down religion. It blew that up for me. And I realized, oh my gosh, people are beautiful right where they are. I don't have to change anything. About anyone. That was a huge release. And it was kind of, I mean, even saying it out loud, I've talked about it before, but like, it's a little bit embarrassing to feel like You know, you're almost middle age and you're finally stepping into these global, like cosmic truths that have been around forever. But I encountered it when I encountered it. I couldn't change that. Just like. You know, the early twenties brother and the eighty-year-old brother in my home group. When you're on the path, just this path of surrender, this path of seeking just honest spirituality, it It encounters you whenever it does, and there's no right or wrong. Like I said, there's no optimum window of really stepping into that. So Yeah, so I just relaxed and I let myself off the hook. I don't have to keep anything propped up. I don't have to keep my neighborhood propped up. I just need to be present and kind.
Brian Mueller: I know a lot of our men in our work really identify with Father Richard Rohr as one of the great spiritual teachers and leaders. And of course, he really developed the rites that we We continue to adapt and share through Illuman. And we all have our own common threads with Richard. Mine goes back to his time in Cincinnati. I wonder about you with being from Kansas, that Kansas upbringing, that very Midwest, somewhat rural farm upbringing, those sorts of things. And coming, you know, Richard talks a lot about his conservative roots in Kansas, conservative faith, you know, as a hymn for him as a Catholic. But you've also come through your own, you know, faith tradition and that experience into a much bigger world, as did Richard. And so you've been you mentioned a couple of times talk about deconstruction. And I'll be honest, that's not a term that I was familiar with until a couple of years ago. When I went to the Wild Goose Festival, when I really encountered a lot of people, a lot of earnest people, a lot of deeply faithful people In their own Christianity and traditions, really trying to figure out a path forward for them through with faith, with a deeper faith. So how how did the rites help you with that that uh journey of deconstruction that you and I know your wife has been on as well?
Jared Adams: Yeah. Yeah, good old Kansas. It's it doesn't get much more mid. I think there's even there's very little west to Kansas. It's just mid. I mean, I grew up 20 minutes from Kinley, which I think is the like The cardinal center of everything, I can remember a really profound moment that's just kind of coming back for me. I remember a really profound Moment that after I had marked myself the night before, it was the day of your death. You know, the M up started with the retreat, end to your death, end to your death, breaking the sticks. I just tried to stay fully committed and to not intellectualize, to not try and fill the gaps that Belden might leave and think, what is he really saying about that? What's the deeper metaphor? I just try to leave that and just be present with beginner's mind. So I'm sweaty. I'm covered in this blood that's marking me. I haven't showered 'cause Gary wouldn't let me shower 'cause he'd always beat the damn drum. But I walked out of sacred space as we all kind of file out into my death and I I laid in the meadow Let my knees give out and I laid on my back, and it was a hot August day, of course. Lay there for a while, trying to Trying to unthink and just be. But I noticed that, you know, some gnats and flies would land on me. And I'm committing to this. But I would still kind of swat a pesky fly away, and then I would see ants crawling up on my leg, and I would try and do that away. And I realized dead men aren't going to be bothered by a fly or an ant crawling up your leg. So I fought that, and it, as simple as it sounds, again, back to the profoundly simple truths: like, oh, yeah, dying to yourself, if you're really going to Experience that in a deeply ritual way, you need to stop worrying about the ants and the flies. And oh, that was so hard. It just butted up against my convenience. I want the benefit of these rites, but I still want to be comfortable. So then I just told myself, we're not swatting any more flies, trying to not pull myself out of the moment. And I just laid there for another I have no idea how long. I remember very little after that moment. But the surrender at the ego level, the spiritual level of just letting the flies land on me and the ants crawl over me. That was the the closest up till that point I'd I'd really surrendered at such a deep, soulful level and committed to staying that way. Give me the question one more time.
Brian Mueller: Really, you know, I was asking how has I was asking about your deconstruction, how that's been impacted by the rites.
Jared Adams: So I just surrendered to letting the bugs, the gnats, the flies crawl on me and recognize I'm just honoring my death right here. I think a lot more cracked and let go on me than I even had language for that day. Another layer of the MROP. coming back kind of fast forwarding few weeks, months post MROP, I grew up with good old Reformed religion. Like I said, if you weren't in church and your pew, people would often call Ask if you're okay, like it would initiate a, it would trigger a welfare check if you weren't in the same pew. But it felt like Like you said, I I didn't have deconstruction in my vocabulary either. I just thought you were a believer or you were an atheist. as simple as I saw it. So it felt like, well, I I surrendered a lot of stuff out there and laid down the the God of my parents' beliefs, the God, the idea that I had been trying to maintain, you know, in my scaffolding. So to me, it it felt like you either were a believer or you were an atheist. It was very black and white. at least how I interpreted it growing up reformed in Kansas. Those were your two avenues. There wasn't any deconstruction that fit the gray area. So I wrestled for a while thinking, I don't know, if I don't believe virtually anything I've been holding on to And struggling to make these concepts feel real to me, I guess I'm an atheist. Maybe I'm an agnostic atheist. What am I now? Because I left all that in the woods. The beauty of an MROP, like the guys that have been anticipating it, I mentioned. You know, taking a few years before they they do their rites They might come into it and gain all kinds of spirituality and freedoms. And equally, I feel like I was able to lay down A lot of the wrestle of spirituality and religion and what I thought was freedom that was just mental bondage. I left all that out there. and had some really honest conversations with I didn't even didn't even call it God at that moment. I just felt the release of This is a profound moment and I'm going to take full advantage of it. And I'm not going to pretend and glamorize this moment, especially my full day out there. It was pretty raw and pretty ugly. And especially opening those damn Envelopes. Everyone just reduced me to tears. Because at the same time, it was kind of this paradox I was letting go of so much that You know, I thought I was important. And I thought I was doing pretty good at pretending life wasn't all that hard because, you know, insert spiritual bypassing excuse here. But I was also having my heart broken for realizing it's hard for everyone, for all those people that I realized were born in different parts of the world, to different religions, to different cultures, to to their own parents' beliefs that maybe they were struggling with. And I realized, oh my God, we are I just felt such a huge connection to mankind, to humanity, and such a A cracking and separation going both ways, shrinking for me and expanding for the world. So I came out of it thinking, I have no Fall back right now. And I didn't want to muscle memory myself into the same routines and eventually appeasing any discomfort that I had. trying to treat any anxiety with my quotes and and scriptures, I let that go. I said, Those are in in the woods, and if somehow those come back without me telling myself I need them, if they come back to me in a real honest, organic way that isn't going to be pulling me back into everything I was before the rites, then I don't want them. And surprisingly, uh not much came back, at least for me. And I've talked to guys that have had the opposite experience of that. So I don't know if maybe I'm the MROP podcast exception. I don't know. But it allowed me to replace all the certainty and all the structure with mystery. Yeah, I can still feel agnostic most days, but I can still lean into a divine mystery that leads me in unexplainable experiences and connection and moments. But it doesn't intervene with me the way that I needed my pre-MROP God to do. I came back with a love and an appreciation of mystery that can feel like God. That's something we could call it. It's also opened me up to a lot of other brilliant truths from a lot of other religions that, as I said before, I was told to reject and resist, and those are footholds of the enemy, and you can't let the enemy get a foot in the door. Everything was was this cryptic spiritual battle. And thankfully, I left that in the woods as well. I said, I'm exhausted. I'm not that important. I'm not this key player in this cosmic spiritual battle, and I alone. Can pray the right prayers to change things. That was also a relief. Could lay that down and just get in the river of of mankind. That's that's a cheesy man of imagery, but it works that you know, we're all just We're all just kind of floating down this river of mystery. And sometimes people climb out and do whatever they want to, you know, offshore. That's their journey. But I'd just rather stay Stay in the river. Letting go of certainty was a h perhaps one of the biggest revelations the MROP gave me. anything that happened. I didn't need to keep giving it significance. If it didn't work out, then it was the enemy. If it did, then it was God's favor. And somewhere in between there is the spiritual battle. That was just my That's what happened in my brain for many, many years. And the MROP gave me the space to lay that down. And I think driving, you asked about the moments immediately after when I just had to pull over. Overwhelmed by nothing, by this non-emotion, I think, you know, fifteen years later, I can just barely start to take a guess at what that emotion was. And I think it was The relief of not holding all that up anymore.
Brian Mueller: That's wonderful. Thank you for sharing that. That's profound. And I think I just want to ask you one more question, and that would be. What advice or what counsel would you give to a man who's trying to discern whether or not to participate in the rites?
Jared Adams: Yeah, that's good. I remember the year I think it was in 14. I was helping on the the team because I was pretty pretty quick to recognize I wanted to stay involved and I also wanted to help give back. So helping out the Illinois brothers on the team setting up like you and I have done registrations now for chapters and but serving on the the team, we were assigned a few people that had maybe had questions. So we called them back and and talked to them. When they had questions about their MROP. And even then, like I said, I was just so perplexed. Like, what is it like to know what you're getting into? How you even have a question? Mine would be my advice. And I can only speak it really truthfully because it was so fruitful for me, was that it was such a gift to not have any preconceived ideas or Maybe guardrails that I wanted to try and fit this experience into. If anything, I had the awareness I didn't want to look for confirmation bias. I didn't want to try and reinforce anything because I had done so much of that as a worship leader. I felt like I had said a lot of things that simply reinforced What I knew the congregation already believed and wanted to hear. I just didn't want that element of spirituality anymore. To where it was all originating from me. And then I would also say, Yeah, yeah, that's what I think. That's good. I wanted to be open. To this primitive notion of sitting around a fire with wisdom teachers that I wasn't looking for links to my belief and faith and my prejudice, my biases. I didn't want any of that. So I would say If possible, trying to detach yourself from it being something that's going to please you on all those levels. Because in some ways, you know, the me before my MROP, I think I could have left completely unsatisfied and miserable because it was so different than any other retreat or conference I had attended again for the listeners air quotes doing heavy lifting there with previous retreats They just always felt like there was an agenda to send you home believing even more fiercely the things you already believe. And some small voice told me that I might not have a chance like this any time soon, knowing what I carried from Everything Belongs and the very little bit I had read about the retreat, I just thought I want to seize this moment. And be open to this grand reorienting. I needed it in my life.
Brian Mueller: I'm hearing you say to the man who might be discerning whether or not to come is Don't come with a lot of preconceptions. Try to come with an open mind, an open heart. And also, don't expect to leave with a lot of extra baggage or things like that. You're probably going to leave a lot of stuff behind. So.
Jared Adams: Yeah.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. That's what I hear your your was your experience somewhat and what you might advise others as well to do.
Jared Adams: Yeah. And be be gentle. I think the Weavers probably still Give the the subtle warning. Be gentle with yourself afterwards, because it is disorienting, at least for me. Disorienting, but in a great way. Yeah, don't expect to plug in all these amazing insights that you might think you have. Just sit with them for a while. Let the dust settle. Let some of those layers reveal themselves. Pull over and cry for absolutely no no conscious reason. Don't feel like you have to run home to your family or friends and just start spilling everything that happened and explaining the significance of every single thing. There was very little I knew how to explain. I remember coming back in our kitchen and I just leaned kind of sat down in the corner of the cabinets and cried again. But I just felt such a relief. I thought that I might float away Because I did leave some baggage, I think. If you grew up similar to how I did, you you want to start analyzing and figuring out what it all means, what was significant about it, and what can I implement. I don't think there's there's anything to be anything of value for you to jump right to analyzing and trying to plug in the data. I'm still unwinding. I I mean, I've I saw some truths and realized things just talking with you here today in twenty twenty-six. So I think the MROP exists a little outside of time and space. If you really surrender to it, as opposed to, like we said at the beginning, another note-taking Selfie opportunity. It's none of those things. And it's the closest I feel like we can get to some really deep, honest, sacred truths. with just sticks and rocks without devices and big screens and all the entertainment and comforts.
Brian Mueller: Jared, thank you so much. This has been wonderful to talk to you. One of the great surprises to me and benefits of my own involvement in Illuman has been of being part of this community for so many years and to being able to call brothers like you friends and even more than that. I don't know, people may not be aware, but you've had deep involvement not only in your local chapter, Indiana, Michigan, but also in some of the national work. been involved with helping chapters, like you said, set up registrations for MROPs. You were involved with one of the web design New web designs for Illuman. org. Last year, you helped us with the logos and stuff for the Awaken, you know, our annual gathering. So much else I probably don't even know about, but You're a beautiful man. You're gifted. You have a beautiful family. And I really appreciate your vulnerability and telling your story. I love you, brother. Thank you so much. Love your brother - any time. For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The Men's Rites of Passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve a Illuman has been the steward of this work. Preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading Adam's Return by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, there are four opportunities in the United States and another in the United Kingdom in twenty twenty-six. The first is in Northern California, May thirteenth through the seventeenth. the second in the United Kingdom, July twenty second through the twenty sixth, and in Illinois, August twelfth through the sixteenth. There's one on the East Coast, in New Jersey, September sixteenth through the twentieth. and the final one of the year is in Texas, which is in MROPN Umbrales, our Spanish language rites, September thirtieth through October fourth. You can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash MROP, or Illuman dot org slash events. Additionally, mark your calendars for Awaken, the annual national gathering of Illuman. taking place November fifth through the eighth in New Mexico. You can find more at Illuman dot org slash awaken. Finally, a special thank you to our sponsor, Choosing Presence. If today's conversation moved you, I encourage you to bring more intentionality into your daily life. Download the Practicing Presence app for free at choosingpresence dot org slash app It's a simple but profound way to stay connected to the journey we've discussed today. Thank you for listening to Follow Me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.