Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the Rites and what changed afterward. Before we begin, a quick word of gratitude. This podcast is brought to you by choosing Presence. We believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction, choosing presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence dot org slash app. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show, we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today we are joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Al Selder. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story.
Al Selder: That's good to be here, Brian. I was excited to get your email for the invite to have this opportunity. So let's see where this goes.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. Al, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Al Selder: Currently living here in Chandler, Arizona, which is one of the suburbs outside of Phoenix, and I've been out here since 1981. And so currently I'm a retired engineer. And enjoying that time that that gives me with our three grandkids and my wife of almost 46 years. And my kids live out here, obviously with the grandkids being close by. So just enjoying those times. And then I also like spending time up in Flagstaff. My brother and I and us have a house up there, so it's nice to get out of the heat. And so I just stay busy kind of locally, doing a little bit of traveling around and and different things. But yeah, never a dull moment. I never find myself getting bored.
Brian Mueller: Now let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop, it's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives, looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the beginning. When and where did you make your rites, Al?
Al Selder: So I did my rites of passage in two thousand and five in Oracle, Arizona, which is a small town northeast of Tucson and at a YMCA camp down there.
Brian Mueller: And who was the weaver and about how many men were there?
Al Selder: The weaver was Richard Rohr. Richard, this was one of the first MROPs outside of Ghost Ranch. And it was something that was brought on by a group of men that went in the In 2003, I think, to Ghost Ranch, and we're just really on fire for the work that Richard was doing. Basically, worked out to have to expand this to have it here in Arizona. And so I had maybe we'll talk about this a little later about the invitation process on that. But anyways, for again, Richard was the weaver. And let's see, how many men were there? Probably had about 40 or 45 men being initiated. And then they had the team a support team to put the event on.
Brian Mueller: Now, when you think back to that weekend, what's the first image that comes forth for you?
Al Selder: So first, if you're living in the desert for all these years, but primarily focused on the city area. being out there really had that sense we always hear about having that desert experience. So I think there was a little bit of a mystery there. So the impression initially was obviously didn't know anything about what the event was going to unfold. That was kind of intentional. And so it was just taken by the desert and a desert that I was maybe in at that time that I wasn't even aware of, which became very clear as the events unfolded for that few days.
Brian Mueller: Broadly speaking, as you think back over the entire weekend experience, what was that like for you?
Al Selder: I've done a lot of retreats over the years. And as you mentioned in the intro, the MROP is really Even though you're there with a group of men and you're interfacing, it's a unique experience for each individual. And that's really what I found. You know, it was things that welded up. in me that I hadn't hadn't for many, many years. It was just a an opportunity to really do a lot of self-reflection. on where I've been, what I needed to get to release. And it was just again, I think that was the that was what really impressed me early on. And then having the opportunity to be in the you know, the council circles and home groups as they were referred to at that time, to be able to kind of open up and process all that was really a unique experience.
Brian Mueller: And without sharing anything that you might consider too personal or even confidential, was there a particular experience at the Wrights, or was there a particular encounter with maybe another man or your home group that really stands out to you?
Al Selder: Trying to think back on that. I don't really the home group experience was very powerful. I don't have any really recollections from that. And maybe we'll get into this a little later, but I definitely had a very profound experience on the day in the desert. So, I don't know if that's a further on question or if it's something I should elaborate on.
Brian Mueller: No, please go ahead and elaborate. Yeah.
Al Selder: So, it was really interesting as. is that we were preparing for that, and Richard had us write some some guides down along the way, and I picked Some of the obvious ones, I think it was the Pope at that time. I think it was Pope John Paul II was still the Pope. I always have an affinity for Saint Joseph as the patron saint of the carpenters and those sorts of things, and many others. But I'm enjoying woodwork and that myself. I thought, oh, St. Joseph's would be good. And then I had obviously Jesus as one of the guides. But then, you know, there was a fi a fifth one. I said, You know what? I'm going to have my father-in-law, who had passed away several years before Lou Lou. At the time, I didn't really think much of it. So anyways, so I had those guides and I you know, so made my way out to for that experience and just remembered sitting there and going through the process and those sorts of things. And all of a sudden I started singing Que sera! sera! Whatever will be, will be, and I go What the heck am I singing a Doris Day song for? But everything just came to a point of clarity. And I think what really hit me is that and it was actually having Kathy's dad there, Lou, is that he definitely had a lot of brokenness in his life, and he di could really have used this experience and others that I've had over the years with Illuman and council work and those sorts of things I just had a strong sense at that point that I was that I needed to continue with this work. And since 2005, I Up until recently, I have been very involved with Illuman and the Arizona chapter to make sure this opportunity was available for other men. And even though I'm not actively involved with the Arizona chapter, at this point, I'm still involved in a council circle myself. I'm very involved in our church. And the interesting thing is, I just found out from my son, is that he's interesting in forming a council circle. He's talked about wanting to do something like that. He says, I just don't know how to do it. And he's just Told me last night that that's something that he feels called to do, and he's been talking to some guys about that. ironically, two weeks ago was brought up in my council circle that of his desire to do that unbeknownst that he was in this process. And so when he brings this up to me last night, I go, You won't believe this. So when I started this, you wonder, well, what impact are you going to have with this? And I always have felt like, you know if I do this and I bring one man to some sort of a transformative experience where he has changed his life, then I feel like I have accomplished something. And if we all had that same goal of touching one person, and making a difference in their life, we would all be touched. And over the years, I've been blessed with many men coming and says, hey, you know, that invitation that you had for to go to the MROP or to do this or that was such a life-changing experience. I felt, okay, I feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do. And I did one little story that I you know, that often many people have heard is about the little girl that's going down the beach and there's all these starfish that have washed up and she's picking them up and throwing them into the water. And this old man comes by and says, What are you doing? He says, I'm throwing these starfish back into the water. And he goes, Well, how are you going to make any difference? There's thousands of them out here. She says it makes a difference for this one. And I just have always remembered that little story and I think used that as I say, yeah, we don't always have to do great things. Sometimes these little things all have some sort of an impact.
Brian Mueller: Thank you so much for that, Al. What I heard you saying was that the day that you spent in nature at the Immense Rites of Passage, where you were offered the opportunity to invite some guides to go with you out there, and you selected your your late father-in-law is one of those guides, that really led you to want to bring this experience to more men.
Al Selder: Yes. Yeah, just you know, when the invitation I got was from one of the men that went in that group in 2003, says, just trust me and go. Obviously, I did. I didn't know what to expect. So, this, and over the years, again, of doing other types of retreats I've never had an experience that was so deep as I had from the MROP. I think a lot of it's just the way the whole weekend is structured. So I always tell men, I said, when they're discerning, I said, you know, the way I look at it is you get a point in your life and you just feel like you're stuck. And sometimes we call that a midlife crisis or whatever it is. But you've got so much baggage that you need to sort through And I say, you know, the MROP is an opportunity to identify that, release it, grieve over it, and then be open to see what you're called to do next. And I think that's a, for me, that is how I summarize the experience is just an opportunity to basically, just get in touch with yourself. We don't give that that type of time to ourselves very often. And just to have that time to really do an assessment of where you are release stuff that's no longer serving you, and then just be open to what's next. I think I followed that path pretty closely in my experience.
Brian Mueller: So let me take you back a little bit to before you attended the Rites. What was going on in your life at the time that you decided to register for the Rites? Or what made you decide, yes, this is an experience I want to do?
Al Selder: Well, at that time I was in a fairly large parish here in Arizona, and we had a very active men's ministry. And got involved in that and just in various roles throughout the years. And of course, at that time, I was at the peak of my career, a lot of stuff going on with the job. Family was growing and all sorts of things. Can't say there was anything that really specifically said, I really needed this event. other than curiosity and again the invitation to just trust and to go through it because of the experience these other men had. And really it it I was Surprised what came up. So there wasn't any specific thing that I could say, yeah, I was dealing with some maybe addictions or those sorts of things, and I just needed to have this opportunity. But it was more of just an openness and a curiosity. It was also very profound.
Brian Mueller: When you made the decision to attend and you told your wife, maybe your family, friends, maybe even a spiritual director, what was their reaction?
Al Selder: My wife didn't necessarily completely understand it. In fact, that's still a little bit of a struggle, even to this day, some of the men's work. And I'm going to try to explain. She's been to a couple of talks that Richard has done. And I think she doesn't understand why guys need to maybe do this sort of thing. And I think that's one of the things Richard actually talks about is that. men sometimes need this initiation in our in the whole male history is something we that has just been missing of late. And that women tend to do this naturally. In fact, we just had this conversation just last night when my son said he wants to get this group together. So
Brian Mueller: Yeah. Now, when you went to the rites, did you drive alone or were you with a group from your parish?
Al Selder: I drove down with one other man. A lot of people remember Jim Scher. And Jim and I drove down together, and we drove back together. So I did not go with other than with Jim, I did not go with anybody else from our parish at that time.
Brian Mueller: Did you and Jim have conversations about the rites, both coming and going, about what you might anticipate?
Al Selder: Not so much going, because I think we both went in with at that time and probably still is, is, you know, yeah, we could have read Adam's Return, and which would have been good, but the invitation was just to go with an open mind. And just let the spirit work. But definitely on the way back, in fact, we were sharing so much of what our experiences was. We missed a turn and we ended up driving fifty miles out of our way.
Brian Mueller: So when you arrived at Oracle and the rites began and you entered into the rites, was there something that you were hoping for, something that you wanted to be initiated into?
Al Selder: I was open to what could come up. And it was really the affirmation to continue this work. As a matter of fact, One other thing that, as I was sitting there in the desert, I had this vision of these quaking leaves and a running stream. And it just kept reoccurring. And so afterwards, I was sharing this with Brad, and he says, you know, that's Aravaipa. And I said, really, I said, where's that? I didn't know anything about that. Well, he was sharing his story that he was in his MROP experience, he had these visions of these golden vistas, and he was sharing that with Richard Rohrer. And Richard said, Oh, that's air of Aravaipa. And so we made a trip down there and I think it was it was a two thousand six time frame. And as we drove up here and I saw the Aravaipa Creek, the cottonwood trees lining that, that's exactly what I saw. So there was a really a mystical experience that occurred. So if this background shows up in the podcast, this is the Brandenburg Peak north of the property there at Aravaipa Ranch. And this is what Brad's experience was. There's also this creek that runs right past the ranch that we have done many MROPs since mine in 2005. And it's just a very, very special place.
Brian Mueller: I just want to make a note here. You're speaking about Brad Kuluris. He's the original convener for the Arizona chapter. He preceded you in that role. Yes. Did you meet him at the MROP?
Al Selder: No, I knew Brad actually from our our common ties with the men's ministry at the parish we were both attending. And once we had this, we realized Actually, it was post the same time frame, a group formed in Arizona, and we became one of the first chapters. that we're continuing to do the work of Richard in doing subsequent MROPs here in Arizona. And we've done them the last one we did was in 2024. And so we've done, gosh, probably a dozen of events down here, and each one unique and each one very special.
Brian Mueller: Now it sounds to me like you went into the MROP in a very open minded way and openhearted way, which I think is wonderful. Did you have any fear, anything that you were nervous about?
Al Selder: No, not really. I think because I had you know, been doing a lot of other men's work and stuff like that, I just read this is just another stepping stone. So I I didn't really have any fears or trepidations going into it. Again, I think part of it is that I did trust Brad and others that had gone and they just said, okay, I'll just be open, see what happens.
Brian Mueller: Now when the rites ended, you you were at Oracle for a few days and it was time for you to drive off. You and Jim got in the car and presumably you eventually got home, but after the wrong turn. But how did you feel immediately after the rites?
Al Selder: You know, one of the things that is brought up is, again, the story stories that we share, obviously, we keep to ourselves. And in the insights, it says don't share your gold too soon. And I took that to heart, and I really didn't know what where this was going to end up going. And it wasn't until, again, late 2006 or so. Where I started getting more involved in moving out of the ministry work at the church into doing this with the chapter here in Arizona. And so it just was something that it wasn't 100% sure where it was going to end up. But looking back at it now, it's it's been a wild ride.
Brian Mueller: Well, Al, since making your rites, what has changed in your life for practically, relationally, spiritually?
Al Selder: I think the big thing is, is just seeing the value. One of the things that has evolved from the MROP is that The event in of itself is very powerful. And when you're ready for it, it's a great stepping stone. I think men gathering in council and sharing their stories on a regular basis and hold each other up. And I you know, I can cite many things that had occurred in my life where having these brothers shoulder to shoulder have made a huge difference. I think now we're referring to that as the journey of illumination. And so the MROP is just one part of that. But it is a journey and it's a lifelong commitment. And I don't feel I would be who I am today had I not had that initial experience and then the continuing time meeting with my brothers on a weekly basis. We've been doing this for many, many years. And so I think that's really the big takeaway of it is you got to take it's not something you just check off and do. There's got to be something even Richard mentioned to be generative. You have to give back in some manner. And I think that's really what Says, what can I do and give back? So, again, one of the affirmations I just had yesterday is that, you know, my son, who we Used as a guinea pig for a lot of the stuff we were trying to do here in Arizona, took a lot of the stuff to heart. And just now that he's You know, he's well into his career and stuff in his mid-30s. He's seeing, hey, I need this. I've seen what it's done for you. I've had some experiences myself, and I want to now take this on it, and feel very grateful for that.
Brian Mueller: How do the rites affect your relationships, specifically you know, your personal relationships, your relationships with other men in your community, and how did that affect also the conversations you would have with others?
Al Selder: I think the big thing was, as I mentioned earlier, is that How what can I do to provide these experiences for other men? And I know for me you know, everybody has different gifts that they have. And one of the things I realized too is that the group of men that we we ended up forming in our chapter here, we all had different gifts and different backgrounds. And it in a in an secular world, if you will, we probably never would have connected. But in this work, we had that common goal. So we all brought different things to that. And so my drive was to I tended to be the one working in the background on the organizational side of things. And so I always had the goal : what could I do to create the environment that this transformative work can take place. And so I was looking to make sure there was just the creature comforts were taken care of so that that wouldn't be a distraction. so that the men that would come to these events could do the work that they came to do without worrying about what they're going to eat or Where they're going to sleep and all those sorts of things. So that's really where I kind of felt my calling. As far as me personally , This question has come up before says, where would I be today had I not done this? And quite frankly, I'm not sure. It would have probably been different. But I think as a whole, I don't regret any of this. And I think it's made me somewhat a more compassionate person. There's been other things that have come up that have realize that, hey, I'm just not an island. I definitely need other men, other people around me to get you know to get to where I need to go. And so there's definitely been some humbling experiences that have come out of this. And so it's really hard to say what distinctly has changed. There's not been any major aha moment like this. It's just been a slow, gradual transition.
Brian Mueller: Now, let me ask you, did the rites change your understanding of masculinity initiation or the male purpose in life? And if so, how did they change?
Al Selder: You know, in the early part in my twenties, just starting my career, in the interfaces you had, most of the conversations tend to be fairly shallow. And I think this what this experience has shown me is that it's okay to open up to others, especially another group of men. But what's important is to gain trust and to allow yourself to become vulnerable. And I think that's the key thing that I didn't get again, that's one of the things that really drove Richard to do this is that guys would have a tendency to bottle things up. I thought I was kind of open, but I think I was never getting to that level where I could really get into the any issues that might be coming up. So that's the sharing of your stories, but listening to other men's stories, because there's so much that can be learned from what others have, they are going through. And some of you can just relate to and say, yeah, I kind of went through that too. And it's good to hear how others have done that. And so in your normal work life Social life, what have you, don't you don't get into those sorts of things. And I think it's necessary to really be a whole person to sort through that. I think I think a lot of the issues with depression and addictions and those sorts of things are just because the guys don't have that That intimate contact and things within either their church community or whatever. And so I think this is a valuable, for me, anyway, I don't think I'd be where I am today. without it. But as the question you asked earlier, I can't pinpoint any specific things that has changed. I think as a whole, I'm sure I'm different than I would have been had I not done this.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, Al, thank you. I hear you saying that there's a depth of relationship and even the ability to be more vulnerable in your relationships. Let me shift a little bit here and let me talk a little bit about Aero Vipa. I just want to say, you know, years ago after I made my rites, I was not tethered to any one place and I spent some time out in Arizona and I found your council group in the Phoenix area to be very welcoming to me and the community that you and others have created to be just wonderful. And you invited me to a retreat that spring at Aravaipa Canyon. And Aravaipa Canyon Ranch is also where the MROP is hosted. Can you tell us a little bit about why Aravaipa is such a sacred place for so many men in the Illuman Community and describe that a little bit?
Al Selder: So as I mentioned, in my time in the desert there during the MROP, I had that vision of the flickering leaves and the running water. And you don't find that in a lot of places in Arizona, let alone it be year-round. So, you know, Aravaipa Creek is uniquely runs, water runs year-round. So, as we learned a little bit more about this ranch and the owner, David Riker, he had a connection with Richard years ago when he bought the ranch. And Richard came out initially blessed The site, and there was a particular area on there that they really were drawn to. Some of the history of Aravaipa ran of the Aravaipa area is that there's a lot of the Native Americans who are very prevalent in this area. In fact, I don't tell this story as well as others, but I think it was Geronimo was actually in this holdup in the Aravaipa area. But one of the the tragic things that happened is during the, you know, some of the wars that are occurred in the early part of our our nation is that there was a massacre in this in this whole Aravaipa area. And so there's a spiritual connection, very strong spiritual connection here. With what has happened. And so there was you know, David had this desire to have this retreat center set up. And so he has this this ranch house that can accommodate up to thirty people. And so when we decided to do the MROPs there, we realized that we're going to have to expand it. And so one of the things that I think was interesting is when we were looking we had to set up a a tent area to you know for the meeting space. As we were looking for a spot we gleaned in in the field To have this one area, it turns out that is the area that Richard felt this very strong connection I think one of the draws at Aravaipa is, again, that spiritual connection to the land, to the history, to the people that were there before, the magnificent views It just had all the elements that you would you would want to have for that the quote desert experience. And so it just we become very connected there. And every time we go down there, it's just like we're entering We talk a lot of times in this work of the liminal space. And so it's just like we're entering into, it almost doesn't matter what's happening outside. We enter into this, and there's just a peace that comes over everybody. And So, when we plan these events, and I think this is true profit for everybody that does these MOPs, you do all this planning. But things never tend to work out the way you plan, but they work out exactly the way they're supposed to. And so we finally just kind of laugh with it when things go different directions as well So we now, as we enter into the space, we say, okay, go to the Holy Spirit. It's all up to you now. And we just kind of go with the flow. And that this place really makes that it's it's magical. If opportunities come up, definitely invite anybody to go down in this to the air vibe
Brian Mueller: area. Thank you. I'd like to invite you to say a little bit more about the MROP from your many years of experience. I was so fortunate to be able to volunteer to help support the MROP at Aravaipa in 2024. And one of the things I always like to tell guys is that's the best food you'll ever have at an MROP. Your cooking staff does a great, great job. Of course, I was fasting during the MROP, so I missed out on a lot of it. But I just think it's such a wonderful location, the opportunity for men to sleep outdoors as part of the event. But those are just some personal reflections. I I really want you, because you had so many events at Aravaipa, many MROPs, but also many other retreats and things like that. Just talk a little bit about your the depth and breadth of your experience in men's work, Illumante men's work specifically, and where that's led you.
Al Selder: Again, as I first got initiated in 2005, got involved in helping out with various events and then We really had this des we had the first two MROPs in Oracle in 2005 and 2007. It was at a YMCA camp, and it was very nice, and they took really good care. But we just felt like there was just something Missing. And so that's, as I mentioned earlier, as I was reflecting that time out in the desert, I just had that strong sense of this place. With the running water and the flickering leaves. And when I went out here, we saw this and said, This is the place where we need to do this. And so we found the ranch and we got connected with David. And the history of the ranch was it was built in the 60s by a Seven Day Adventist minister. It was right by the creek. It was pretty basic, but at least it was s had some of amenities that would be useful for doing an event. So I had a kitchen, a couple stoves, a few refrigerators. And we realized if we were going to do an event there, there's no catering service that we could probably get to come out. There's no grocery store nearby. And so part probably one of the most difficult things to make this work is is the kit you mentioned the food. And so the first part of my involvement out there is I was managing the kitchen. And so I came up with a process to get everything put together for that. And that was Quite an undertaking. In fact, I ended up writing a guide on doing this for any other chapters that were going to do an MROP where they had to provide their own food because it it adds a whole different level of complexity when you have to add that element. Because it it's necessary that provide food over those days. And so that that was probably the biggest challenge, but I I I've always enjoyed uh food prep and just rather than just preparing for a small group or the family Back one year, I think it was in twenty sixteen, we had ninety two men at Aravaipa. And so we had men about thirty in the houses. We had tents set up all over the property. It was quite a transformation from this ranch to almost a small city. I still don't know how we do we pulled that off, but it was really quite an experience. And so as time went on, I just took on more and more responsibility, eventually became the MORP coordinator for the event. So I had to build a team to do all the things. including the kitchen, and then eventually became the convener for Arizona, as long with still managing the MROPs. It was just like the little stepping stones along the way. But again, I think the big thing was that we wanted when we found this place in the feelings that we had. and the subsequent events that we've had there. It's the you know, remember I mentioned that one of my goals is to create an environment for transformation and take place. This is that place.
Brian Mueller: This is the year that Illuman is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the very first rites of passage that Father Richard gave at a Ghost Ranch in New Mexico. And as someone who's been involved in this work for many years and through many iterations, including Illuman, what hopes do you have for the future of the MROP?
Al Selder: I'd certainly like to see those continue due to many factors. We didn't do one here in 2026, but I think the work needs to continue But I think, again, I know there's been a shift to really make sure that men can, beyond the event itself, need to stay engaged. And so I know there's been a real push to really further what they would call the Journey of Illumination of connecting and serving and all those sorts of things. And I think the connection element is one of the keys is guys need to fi connect with others to share their stories and to hear the stories. you know this day and age we so we we get so distracted with social media and all those other things that we've almost in a sense been isolating ourselves I mean it's a real a real issue with some of our young people this needs to always be available as a healing experience for whatever is needed. As I as unlike other retreats, as mentioned This is a unique experience for each person. So there may be 40 or 50 men that are being initiated. It's a unique event for each one of them. They're all going to leave with something different.
Brian Mueller: Thank you. I have just one more question for you. And we've now started what I call MROP season here as we get into the late spring. Summer months. And so the very first men's rites of passage actually began yesterday in Northern California. And that'll be the first rites that happen this year. I'd like you to extend an invitation. I'm hoping that other men will be listening to this and be considering participating in a men's rites of passage. What would you say to a man urging him to participate in a men's rites of passage?
Al Selder: Do I get a a call or if there's if I run into a man that I think is struggling in some manner, and I think this could be a good experience is usually what I ask on an invitation is, have you found yourself in a point in your life that you kind of feel stuck? You're well into your career, other things are going on, and there may be some things that you're struggling with, but you don't know how to really deal with it. And a lot of it is, is there's all this excess baggage. And I said and I said, what this event will help you do is to sort through that baggage. Release it, grieve over it, and then open yourself up to what the possibilities are. And just to go with that mindset. So if you feel like that, yeah, I'm stuck at this point and I really need a way to kind of reset in some manner. I think the MROP could be very a very positive experience. I know when Richard set this up, it's a second half of life thing. So this is like after in your forties and what have you. And the majority of men that do attend tend to be in their probably forties, the fifties and sixties and older. But we sometimes have some young men that have had some really strong Had some life experiences that they need to dis to sort with. So I think a lot of it is an invitation process is to get to know where a man is and his journey and And because you've experienced the MROP yourself and you know what you went through, you can help share a little bit about your story. But again, just and then as I was invited, hey, trust me, it was a great experience for me. I think it'll be a great experience for you. Just do it.
Brian Mueller: Thank you so much, Al. I was looking forward to this conversation for a long time, even though we just made plans for this just in the last twenty four hours or so. You and the men in Arizona really exemplified to me what it means to be generative and supportive and really create these opportunities for men to experience the rites and transformation in just an awesome setting. So just wonderful to hear about your experience. I just want to say I love you, brother, and I wish you all the best.
Al Selder: Thank you so much. And who knows where the journey will be taking us? It is indeed a journey, and this is just a small step along the way.
Brian Mueller: For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The Men's Rites of Passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve Illuman has been the steward of this work, preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading “Adam's Return” by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, there are four opportunities in the United States and another in the United Kingdom in twenty-twenty six. The first is in Northern California, May thirteenth through the seventeenth the second in the United Kingdom, July twenty second through the twenty sixth, and in Illinois, August twelfth through the sixteenth there's one on the East Coast, in New Jersey, September sixteenth through the twentieth. And the final one of the year is in Texas, which is an MROP and Umbrales, our Spanish language rites, September thirtieth through October fourth. You can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash mrop or Illuman dot org slash events. Additionally, mark your calendars for Awaken, the annual national gathering of Illuman, taking place November fifth through the eighth in New Mexico. You can find more at Illuman dot org slash awaken. Finally, a special thank you to our sponsor, Choosing Presence. If today's conversation moved you, I encourage you to bring more intentionality into your daily life. Download the Practicing Presence app for free at choosingpresence dot org slash app. It's a simple but profound way to stay connected to the journey we've discussed today. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.