Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the rites and what changed afterward. Before we begin, a quick word of gratitude. This podcast is brought to you by Choosing Presence. We believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction, choosing presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence dot org slash app. Now the Men's rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show, we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today we are joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Mike Whitman. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story. Thank you. I'm glad to be here as well. Mike, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Mike Whitman: So I'm from Tawas City, Michigan, which is about halfway up the Huron coast of Michigan, small town, tourist town. I spin I'm retired. I worked in youth ministry and youth catechetics for about nearly 50 years. So I've been uh retired since two thousand and nine. So uh my uh days are what I what I want to do is what I want to do so they can be very mixed. I like to garden in the summertime. So I'm kind of
Brian Mueller: eager to get out there and get my hands in the dirt. I can appreciate that. Now, let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop, it's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives, looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the very beginning. When and where did you make your rites, Mike?
Mike Whitman: So I made my rites in two thousand and eight at Pilgrim Park in Illinois. And about how many men were there? There were eighty uh eighty men like and there were a few from a couple from Europe, and I think one might there might have been one from Australia. And who was your weaver? Richard Rohr was the weaver and uh
Brian Mueller: Pica (Stephen Piccha) was the uh ritual elder. Now, when you think back to that weekend, what's the first image or feeling that comes forth for you?
Mike Whitman: So when I think back, I really think back initially a terror of just getting ready, getting ready to go. Not get so much not so much getting ready to go, but probably part way through the trip, I thought, what the hell am I doing? And if I hadn't been four hours into the drive, I would have probably turned around and gone back home. Yeah. So that that's my image initially starting out The impact was unbelievable. I mean, really unbelievable. I had no, no idea that it would be that impactful. I thought it'd be a nice retreat. I'd come home, be high for a couple Days or a week, and then it would be over with. But that's not what happened.
Brian Mueller: Let me back up just a little bit and say from that weekend, is there an experience or an interaction you had with another man? That you'd be willing to share with us? Maybe something that you don't feel you don't hold too closely because it's confidential or personal?
Mike Whitman: Yes. So I was one of the oldest. Actually, I was 60 years old. And I did my MROP. So I was one of the oldest guys in my family group, and probably there, other than Richard. Richard's two or three years older than me. So there were two young guys that were in my family group. And for some reason, they I took on this kind of paternal role for them. That was I think that was softening for me because I was terrified through the whole experience, which I can talk about a little bit. a little bit more, but these two guys kind of softened me 'cause I kind of was mentor and dad to them during the uh
Brian Mueller: during the rites. So Let's talk a little bit about what circumstances led you to participate in the rites. What was going on in your life at the time that you decided to register?
Mike Whitman: That's kind of interesting. I was pretty arrogant. I thought I had my spiritual life down. It was down, and I got it worked out. It's fine and dandy. And I had started my master's degree down in southern Indiana. My dad had died the year before, and my mother was diagnosed with terminal leukemia, so I transferred from Southern Indiana to Loyola and Chicago. And I was doing my work online. So I was working at the same time. So I couldn't go to campus. And I Bill McElroy from Illinois. He was also in the master's program and taking the same class. Which was called the spiritual and pastoral care of men. So Bill, toward the end of the class, we only had a virtual friendship because I had never met him before. To face. So he, about halfway through the class, he said, I think you, I think you're ready for a men's rites of passage. And I said, what the hell is that? So he said, read ÓAdam's Return.Ó So I read it. I had no acquaintance with Richard Rohr. I didn't read I hadn't read any of his books. That wasn't would not have been a draw for me. So I read the book and I just trusted Bill. So I signed up, got I was accepted and I started on the journey.
Brian Mueller: Came alone to the rites, or did you come with another man?
Mike Whitman: I came alone, drove eight hours from Michigan to Pilgrim Park by myself.
Brian Mueller: And when you told your family, friends, your brothers, those around you at your life, that you were planning to attend a rites of passage, what was their reaction? What did they say?
Mike Whitman: My family would have been not indifferent, but they would have just have thought, okay, he's doing another crazy thing, so we'll we'll just we'll just accept that. So they wouldn't have been too surprised that I was doing something weird. My friends, they weren't interested or curious even there. So there wasn't much. There was no resistance. It was pretty much. Acceptance just because of who I am and what I do. And so there was not surprise. I don't think there was a surprise that I was doing something that they had no idea
Brian Mueller: what it was about, mostly because I had no idea. Now, as you entered the rites, was there something that you were hoping to be initiated into?
Mike Whitman: Absolutely not, because I had no idea what was going to happen to me. No, no, I had no idea what was what I was getting into. I just For some weird reason, I just trusted McElroy, which was weird to me because I'm pretty, pretty guarded and pretty I like to feel safe. And so I don't know why I did it. Yeah, it's a surprise to me even to this date. So 2008 is when I did mine. And Even now, I'm looking back and going, wow, how the hell? What what? What made me say yes to this?
Brian Mueller: Well, you already expressed that you felt a lot of terror as you approached Pilgrim Park and entered into the rites. Let's drill down a little bit on that. Tell us a little bit about what that terror was.
Mike Whitman: Yeah. So arriving, I came really early because I didn't know how long it was going to take me to get there. And I was already nervous as how Brought into the run-down cabins at Pilgrim Park, going, What the hell am I doing? And the First evening was pretty safe because it was just a talk, nothing else happened. But then the next morning they did the first ritual and like It was I had built all my walls, I had my doors locked. So the first ritual just broke through, was breaking through the barriers of my safety. And Making me feel could I couldn't name that. I could not have named this at the time, but it made me feel vulnerable. I don't like that. And so as soon as it was finished and I was on my own when they would send you out, I would build my wall up again 'cause I thought, okay, this is not happening again. I 'm s going to be safe. I 'm going to make myself safe. So But as the week four or five days progressed, I knew something important was happening. I couldn't tell you what, but I knew there I sensed there was something Significant going on, and it was meaningful. But I if you would have asked me at the time what it was, I would not have been able to explain. So I just kept each ritual would break through the barrier and I would build it up again and next ritual, you know, break down the barrier. and I would build it up again. But I sensed, like I said, I sensed there was something important changing, but
Brian Mueller: I could not have named it for you. You know what I'm hearing, Mike, and you can tell me if I'm wrong, but is the word that I'm hearing or maybe that to describe sort of your fear vulnerability, a fear of being vulnerable with these other men?
Mike Whitman: Yeah, because my raising up as a male would be other men are dangerous, so you need to be careful with them. So they're they're competitors. So that would be a part of in a way to be all unconscious. There would be no awareness of that. But like I said, those two guys that kind of I took under my wing, they were softening me because they invited the father, that generative energy. So that was softening me too. I think that was an important thing that Side thing that was happening that would made me more open, I think.
Brian Mueller: Now, think back to the the day the rites ended, closing ritual. It's time for you to go. You're able to get in the car. You've got a long drive back to Tawas City. And how were you feeling? You know, what was going on?
Mike Whitman: I was feeling pretty I was exhausted physically, but I was feeling something miraculous was happening to me. It was hard saying goodbye to those guys, the two guys that I had uh the attachment to. We kind of uh they drove a bus back to the airport, you know, spent as much time as we could until they left. So I was feeling strange because I couldn't name what was happening to me, but it made me feel new. It made me feel different. It made me feel richer. But again, if you had asked me at that time, I would have had no words to explain. I was up, but not No idea why that was. Because like I said before, I already I thought I had thought I had I got this worked out. You know, me and God are fine, and our journey is God is okay with it. So we're just going to keep on the the the way we've been walking, we're going to keep walking that way. But the uh the rites showed me I was pretty stuck. And I was pretty blind in a lot of ways. And I was very, very, very comfortable with my masks that I had created for myself and for other people to see me through. So And this took months before I could start finding names for things. And one of them was the invitation to vulnerability. That was the that was the the largest or the greatest invitation that the rites Offered me was this sense of you need to be more comfortable with vulnerability. You need to be more open. And it took months and months and months to open that package and to be comfortable with it.
Brian Mueller: Thank you so much for sharing that. Let me ask you so, there's been a significant amount of time has passed since your rites, almost 20 years now. So there's a long period for you to have processed that experience. And of course, I know you because of your deep involvement and commitment to the aluminum community, both in your region and even nationally. So I want to ask you, what has changed in your life since making the rites, thinking practically, relationally, even spiritually?
Mike Whitman: So on a relational level, again, I would return to vulnerability. I have been in the chapter. I've been with that chapter since it began and been with the evolution and my evolution along with the evolution of the chapter. I think it took so long. We would have retreats where you would have to we'd be in the sharing groups and you would have to talk about prompt but respond to the prompt questions and I would have to unlock so many doors. I would have to tear down so many walls to try to get to a place where I could respond. Honestly, concretely, and from the heart, not from the head, it would take so, so long. And I would be hoping That everyone would share and there'd be no time left. That is exactly what I would try to manage to happen. And so then the last five years, there's been a lot more comfortableness with It doesn't take as long to get to that point where I can be honest with myself and with uh the men in the In the sharing group. So I think that's the biggest gift that the MROP gave me was recognizing the masks that I've created for myself and I've created for I've given you to look at me through. to see them as masks and not as who I am. I think that's one of the greatest gifts, as I said, that
Brian Mueller: the MROP gave me. Mike, I believe you come from a very large family, that you're the oldest of many siblings. And I sense that you participate in a community of men. you're very active. And so I want to ask those of closest to you that know you've been through this rites experience and your involvement in Illuman, what would they say? What's changed in Mike? How would they perceive the changes in Mike over these last twenty years or so?
Mike Whitman: Well, I actually asked one of my sisters. I have five sisters and four brothers. So I asked one of my sisters who's Eight on the Enneagram. So she's pretty honest. She's pretty in your face. I said, Kathy, have you noticed any changes? And she said, Yeah, you're a lot less negative. Well, that's good. Yeah. So Yeah, I think if you'd ask the guys in my chapter, they would say that I have softened. And I think that 's that's another one of the gifts that the rites and Illuman has provided and the guys in my chapter, because they have been so So patient and gently, gently challenging with me. So I really I have written, and I've said before, I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't had that experience. It really That's how changing it was for me. And it continues to be unpacked now. Even now, I'm still unpacking my experience.
Brian Mueller: Thank you so much for sharing that. How is your understanding of masculinity, initiation, and even the male purpose in life changed over these years?
Mike Whitman: So initiation ritual, especially rituals become very, very meaningful and for almost from the beginning. I've just ended that role in the chapter. I have been the ritual elder, so ritual has been very, very important. So we have in our chapter, we've created a rite of passage for boys and dads or mentors. So watching that and how meaningful it is to the men and the boys, especially the dads or the mentor, the transform there's a big transformation that takes place. The masculinity, the definition for that is so flexible for me now. It's not as defined as it was before, and it was so hard to achieve the the goal that had been given to me for defining what manhood was about. It was a goal that was painful, hard, and only encouraged Encouraging me to be more and more protective of myself, more guarded, more hidden. So yeah, my understanding of masculinity and maleness has been transformed in significant ways. I think in a healthier way. So I'd say I see it up to each man to define how he is going to try to live out masculinity and his maleness. Not so well defined as it was when I was a kid. I know my dad and I crossed swords all the time because he had some certain expectations and I would not meet them partly on purpose. Those expectations came out of his own way that he was trained, and the archetype that he was a dark archetype that he was trained in as being a man and being masculine.
Brian Mueller: Absolutely. In fact, I was hearing so much good stuff that I was going to ask you a little bit more about your spirituality, but let me put a finer point on it. you know, as somebody who's dedicated his life to his own spiritual formation and then through the pastoring of youth, their spiritual formation as well, you know, how has this experience energized your paternal energies and changed your approach, both especially I guess I'm curious in how you mentor and pastor young people and young men.
Mike Whitman: when I finished the MROP, I I retired in two thousand and nine. So when I finished the MROP, the idea of initiation was more I had been engaged in creating rituals for myself, trying to find my own way to manhood, without knowing I was doing it. I'm looking back now and seeing it. And I was talking to my baby brother, and he's 22 years younger than me. So I was a second dad to him in a really, really, in a serious way. So he I was talking to him about my rites, and he he said to me, Mike, do you know you did that for us? meeting him and my nephews. And I said, how? And so he would talk he would talk to me how I had created these kind of liminal spaces, passageways. That I was not aware of. I had some awareness I was doing it on purpose, or that was my intention. After the rites of initiation, then I became very intentional when I was mentoring a kid. I became very intentional about noticing the liminal spaces he or she might be in, and I would. How to have them identify them and to say yes to passing through them. So I think I became more intentional.
Brian Mueller: One of the things that has been a cornerstone of yours and my relationship, and I'm not sure exactly where we met, Mike. It might have been out at Soularize, which used to take place at Tamaya, New Mexico. But very early on, you identify as a Type One on the Enneagram, and I do as well. And I firmly believe from my own exploration of the Enneagram and what I've learned is that some of our best teachers are the men and women that are the same type as we are. It's one of the reasons that I was I think I've been very attracted to Richard Rohr and his work, and maybe you could say the same. But there's going to be some people listening to that are not as familiar with the Enneagram, although it's really popular within Illuman as a means for further development and growth. First, let me ask you, can you tell our listeners What the Type One on the Enneagram what's the titles or the names for that and what that is, being a Type One?
Mike Whitman: For me, the title that I was first exposed to was The Perfectionist. which fit me so well because it was being the oldest child of ten and parents telling you you have to be their model and it just spoke to my personality type, the the one the perfectionist who just spoke to that. So part of the problem though, which the Enneagram has helped me to recognize, and it really has softened me because The Enneagram asks you to accept yourself the way you are. Accept those broken, those sharp edges, the masks that you create, just to accept those things, not complacently. But let them tell you let them tell you the story of how they came into existence, why they came into existence, why you need them. and how you can use them as a tool instead of them using you, instead of them being on automatic and inviting you to only be reactionary rather than that you're intentional about Using your personality type as a tool. So I use, I'm a spiritual director, so I use that with my directees, and I always say to them, you are not your personality. There is more mystery there than that personality identification. And that's the thing you need to open yourself up to: that deeper mystery of who you are.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I experience you as a wonderfully integrated One. And you mentioned the title Perfectionist, another one that people will hear often is Reformer. And unhealthy Ones are known for being maybe too critical. Although I I think a lot of people don't understand that the worst criticism One's often reserved for themselves. It's that voice in their head. And there's some wounding, there's some deep wounding within the One that a fear of not being good enough. And once they're more integrated in their better perspectives, they're able to kind of see the world more holistically as sort of having a divine perfection, and they're able to do that for themselves and actually invite other people into that space of serenity and peace. So I don't know if you were aware of your type when you did your men's rites of passage, but how has the rites of passage helped with your understanding and integration of the of the Enneagram?
Mike Whitman: I think it's the intentionality of maybe I'll use a different word. I have come to a place where I've been asking God for radical inner honesty, which I'm like, what the hell are you doing? I'll be 79 on May 7th. So I'm at a place where I think it's common for people this age, or hopefully anyway, to begin to reflect, do life reflection, looking looking at back at one's life and So I've been able I'm not sure if I'm answering your question, but I've been able to step into a place where I realize, wow, you are so, so dishonest there. or into a relation relationship that I may have engaged and thought, wow, this is I'm doing really good work here. Then I realize you had a lot of other needs that you're trying to have met to that person. And so I've been able to stay inside of that pain of recognizing that dishonesty. And not try to escape into a mask where I'm the good boy, the image of being the good boy. So I think that's that one thing that that's been a gift to the Enneagram because of that softening that it's done for me of accepting myself the way I am and other people, accepting other people the way they are, and life as it is in the moment I'm in, and being open to the fact that tomorrow is going to be different. Or the next moment might be different, but just to try to stay present in the moment that I'm in. Yeah, so my spirituality, going back to that, my spirituality has changed a great deal. The kind of spirituality I engage I'm engaged in and have been for most of my life is Spousal spirituality. So it's really a heart spirituality. Most of the time, in the beginning, I was in my head though, that that's the part that the MROP and Illuman has helped with of recognizing that It might be spiritual spousal spirituality, but you've been in your head trying to live it in your head and not in your heart. I think that's what the MROP and Illuman has dropped me down into my heart. And the Enneagram has done that too, because, like I said, the softening part. where it softens you and doesn't leave you so hard. As a One so hard, where you're in your head criticizing yourself constantly.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, that's very resonant for me, that hard edge. And again, the hardest edge at you is for myself, reserve for myself. I used to think these people think I'm being hard on them. They should be inside my head. I can tell there's a lot of transformation that's gone on with you. This is an audio-only podcast, but I'm looking at the sign that's hanging behind you on the wall. It says, ÒMy family tree is full of nuts.Ó And that made me chuckle. And I think that's testament to you as a Type One and Enneagram being able to just kind of accept happily, the situation of your family members and just sort of the crazy making things that are just part of life. Let me ask you one more question, Mike. Since we've been talking Enneagram, can you make the case for someone who knows their Enneagram type number and says, yeah, I think I'm a Type One on the Enneagram, make a case for them participating in the men's rites of a passage and what that might do for them?
Mike Whitman: So I think if if you're a Type One, I would say to you , go to the rites of passage because it's going to invite you Into a place of generativity, into a place where you are going to love yourself and you're going to look out and you're going to see out there, miracles going on around you, ordinary miracles just happening everywhere. And it will put you in a place where you will not want to escape from ever again. It will make you Want to be with yourself. I want you to be with all the other imperfect people in the world that you're going to encounter. And the realization that our perfection is in our imperfection. That's the piece that I really appreciated from the Enneagram and the MROP. my life with Illuman and how I've been trying to incorporate that, integrate that into myself. That acceptance of imperfection, not complacently, but accepting it. It's a part of life and transformation is just around the corner. And I think that's the liminal space that the MROP offers. It offers this huge five-day liminal space, and there is a communal experience of that liminal space and a unique experience of that liminal space unique to the individual person. So And when I look back in my MROP, I see so many doorways that open, passageways and liminal moments that I said yes to. And I'm like I'm surprised that I said yes to Bill McElroy's invitation. surprised I took those passageways, no matter how terrified I was. I I walked through them. Yeah, I think that's the courage that you
Brian Mueller: experience. Thank you so much. That's wonderful. And I just want to acknowledge, too, you obviously have a Two-wing on the Enneagram. I always feel your big heart. I really appreciate that. You have a lot of love for people and for the men in this work. And And so thank you for your time today, for sharing your honesty, your courage, sharing about your rites of passage experience, and thank you too for being such a big part of the Illuman community. Thank you, Brian.
Mike Whitman: I'm glad that we bumped into each other wherever that was. And I'm so glad I bumped into Bill McElroy. I really don't know what life would have been like.
Brian Mueller: I hear you. I love you, brother, and I look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you. For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more Allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The men's rites of passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve Illuman has been the steward of this work, preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading ÒAdam's ReturnÓ by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, there are four opportunities in the United States and another in the United Kingdom in twenty-twenty six. The first is in Northern California, May thirteenth through the seventeenth the second in the United Kingdom, July twenty second through the twenty sixth, and in Illinois, August twelfth through the sixteenth there's one on the East Coast, in New Jersey, September sixteenth through the twentieth. And the final one of the year is in Texas, which is an MROP and Umbrales, our Spanish language rites, September thirtieth through October fourth. You can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash mrop. or Illuman dot org slash events. Additionally, mark your calendars for Awaken, the annual national gathering of Illuman, taking place November fifth through the eighth in New Mexico. You can find more at Illuman dot org slash awaken. Finally, a special thank you to our sponsor, Choosing Presence. If today's conversation moved you, I encourage you to bring more intentionality into your daily life. Download the Practicing Presence app for free at choosingpresence dot org slash app. It's a simple but profound way to stay connected to the journey we've discussed today. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.