Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the Rites and what changed afterward. Before we begin, a quick word of gratitude. This podcast is brought to you by Choosing Presence. We believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction, choosing presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence dot org slash app. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show, we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today we are joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Bill McElroy. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story.
Bill McElroy: Thanks, Brian. It's great to be here. And thank you for doing this work, too, to just get our personal experience of the men's rites of passage.
Brian Mueller: Bill, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Bill McElroy: Well, I live in Wayne, Illinois, which is a small town outside of Chicago, about 50 miles west of Chicago. And yeah, these I'm retired. That was my career. I was a pediatric dentist for almost 40 years and been retired for five years in June. And so, yeah, since then you know, I like being outside outdoors. My wife likes uh and I like to hike and bike and and doing some traveling and things like that. And I also spend, you know, time doing this kind of w work with men's work as well through Illuman and contemplative outreach, things like that.
Brian Mueller: Now let's dive in to talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop. It's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the very beginning. When and where did you make your rites?
Bill McElroy: Made my rites in two thousand four at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico. Was one of the last ones at Ghost Ranch. He Richard was doing all of them there for a while and then I think it got too expensive until they eventually started you know, they started and then we started going into regions. But yeah, two thousand four Ghost Ranch was my where my rites.
Brian Mueller: I imagine Richard was your weaver, and how many men were there?
Bill McElroy: Yeah, Richard was the weaver, and I believe Stephen Picha, I think, was a ritual elder. I can't remember. I think it was I think he was a ritual elder. And we had quite a few wee back then it was only doing one a year, so we had like one hundred and twenty, I believe, one hundred and thirty men. Pretty big group.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, those were really big rites in the especially at the beginning. Now, I'm going to ask you to think back to that weekend and what image comes forth when you think about your rites. What image comes forth when I think about the rites?
Bill McElroy: I guess the biggest thing would be The formation of, you know, it's sacred time and sacred space, you know, the container of the weekend. And, you know, so it wasn't any one thing, it was, you know, the totality of the experience itself. you know, entering entering into it. I mean, entering into it was one thing, and looking back on it, of course, is is is a whole different thing. But um, yeah, that was that would be the thing that really jumped out the most, you know.
Brian Mueller: Now without sharing anything that you consider confidential or too personal, is there a particular memory or an encounter with another man that you had during that weekend that kind of captures what the event meant to you?
Bill McElroy: Um, yeah, probably the the thing that jumped out. I mean, it was uh when I was going on to writes, I was uh going into it, I'm was uh hoping I would have like a mystical experience, you know, a real oneing-enlightenment type thing that would be it would mark, you know, this event right here, and then the rest of my life goes from that point. And while I did have many experiences, I didn't have that necessarily, you know, and maybe because I was trying to create it as it doesn't work that way, I don't think. I think these things you know, happen when they happen. The Spirit brings it when it brings it. But probably the most notable thing that happened, which I was not going into the rites looking for this at all, but it was one of the days where you're working with grief. in a grief ritual. And in that ritual, I just came to a point where I was it just occurred to me, just intuitively, it just occurred to me That there was some generic intergenerational father wound or pain in my patriarchal lineage And it just hit me really hard. I I realized right then, you know, my dad never even spoke about his grandfather. My grandfather, his father died before I was born. He was quite a bit older. But it just hit me right there. He never even spoke about him. And I said, There's got to be this big wound. I could just feel I could just feel it. And my father and I were not super close. A lot of reasons for that. He was, you know, worked six days a week, very busy. I was the oldest of six. But in any case, I I just said, I'm not going to pass this on to my son. And I said, I was angry. I said, It stops with me. And I pouted my fist down. And I was in the middle. And then I just said, you know what? Give me all the pain right now. I'll take all the grief. I will take all the pain then right now, and we're going to end this thing. And I swear, you know, I had this huge rush of energy. I can't even explain what it even felt like, but whatever it was, it dropped me to my knees and I just started sobbing right there. And like I said, I didn't there's nothing I was aware of before the rites, you know, but I've been acutely aware of it since the rites, you know. And so I really worked hard on my relationship with my son, too. And which has improved greatly. You know, we did many things together after that. I made a made a point of it. I made it just so drew it to my attention, you know.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, thank you for sharing that. I really appreciate it. Now, thinking back to just before the rites or to even several months before the rites, what was going on in your life? What were the circumstances that led you to decide, yeah, I want to participate in a men's rites of passage?
Bill McElroy: Well, I went back. It was one of these situations where something I wanted to do for a while. I was introduced to Richard, it was really the one that really got brought me into it. My spiritual director, this is back in the mid-nineties spiritual, so it would have been about 10 years before when I made my rites actually, my spiritual director was saying to me, you know, sometimes when you pray Just listen. You know, don't say any words. Just listen. He didn't even use the word silence. He'd just listen. And I'm like, well, listen to what? you know, and I couldn't hear anything, you know, and uh but he'd just listen, just sit and listen. So I was fine and I was doing that in my prayer. on and off for a year. And then I was introduced to a tape series, you know, by Richard Rohr. It was Spirituality Subtraction. I remember I was at a friend's house. He goes, Hey, you might like this. And I listened to it. And I get the tape number three, and this is what he's talking about, is contemplative prayer in silence. And he's putting a name to what you know, I had never heard that term before, in cradle Catholic, but that just contemplative prayer never came up. But it really really hooked me. And then later I I was in a bookstore and looking for some things in the children's section. My wife and I were doing some confirmation work in our parish. And somebody had laid down a tape series by Richard in the children's section. You know, didn't belong in that section. I just just happened to notice it. I thought, oh, it's the same guy. So I got to listen to this, and it was a men's retreat. And it was on the archetypes, the heroic male archetypes, lover, warrior, magician and king. And that language and symbology really just really hit a note with me. That's why I got to go to the desert with this guy. You know, and I realized After that, then the next thing was, you know, I don't have any kings in my life. I'd really notice I don't have any kings in my life. I've got to change that. And so I committed to one day going to the desert. And in the meantime, then Richard developed the rites in in the middle to late nineties. And I saw that and I thought, well, I eventually have to do this and it was just a matter of when the time was right. You know, you're taking five days off, you're going away, it's expensive, leaving my wife home with the kids and all that. And so it just worked out that two thousand four was the right time for me.
Brian Mueller: How did the people in your life, your wife, your spiritual director, others in your community that you let know about your decision, how did they respond initially to you saying, I'm going to the rites of passage?
Bill McElroy: Back then, not many people had heard about that or knew about it. I think The men going off by themselves on a retreat like that. You know, there was this notion of oh, the men are all running around naked in the woods and drumming and yelling and screaming and stuff like that. And it's kind of like a I don't know, a tribal kind of a thing. It was an interesting way people looked at it. So I didn't like advertise it too much, but some of my small group that I was with, I told them they were going, have good luck, have a good retreat. It was more like Assuming I think it was like a regular type retreat, I don't think the impactful nature of it was known to them at the time. So yeah, so uh but my wife was supportive of it. She's in a spiritual journey herself. Like I said, she's a spiritual director. And that we weren't at the time, but you know, since then we both have went in and got our master's degrees in that. So she was supportive, you know, I have to say she's a little bit like, well, what are you going to get involved in now? You know, just because I have a tendency to really go away at it. And she just didn't want me like just to take off on a new adventure and leave her behind, I think, 'cause it was the men's work, it's just with the men, you know, and so There was an ad nature of it, and that still even persists to today a little bit, but generally she's very supportive of it. She knows it's good for me. So
Brian Mueller: You alluded to this a little bit before in terms of like a turning point, the right rites wanting the rites to be that. But when you arrived at the rites, when you arrived at Ghost Ranch, was there something that you were hoping to be initiated into?
Bill McElroy: Oh, well, that's a good question. I wasn't anything I really entered into it because the instruction is, you know, when you enter into this, go with the beginner's mind, you know, and try not and so I was trying to really guard against not having an expectation of really having a beginner's mind that just allows spirit to flow and so I settle into where I'm supposed to settle in. So, I didn't have an, I really did not have an expectation aside from what I alluded to before is that I was hoping somewhere in there there would be this mystical I don't know that Jesus would appear before me or anything like that, but it would be some type of a mystical morning experience, which I with that grief ritual, that was definitely something beyond the ordinary that happened, this energy that that rushed through me and dropped me to my knees. I didn't just make that up. I mean, that happened. And so in itself, I guess we would put Coach Run and say it was of a mystical nature, certainly beyond five cents, three-dimensional, linear time world, whatever that was. not what I had anticipated. And that's which I think there's wisdom in that, just to go in without expectation. Yeah. So I initiated into, you know, the community of men that was that would have been, you know, around the fringes. I was hoping to to join this community, men that are willing to go deep, you know, and and be a man for others. And so that was certainly been around the the fringe of it for sure. Trying to be careful not to get too Too much of a solid expectation. This is what I hope to get out of it. I don't have that much wisdom.
Brian Mueller: Well, conversely, was there something that did you feel some fear? Was there anything that you were concerned about heading into the rites?
Bill McElroy: No, at that point I don't think I really had any fears. I was all in going into it. So I didn't really have I was really anticipatory of whatever would come, you know, and that that's kind of my nature, I guess.
Brian Mueller: Yes, so you get through the the five day experience and come to the closing rituals. It's time to leave. How did you feel when you were driving off to the airport or wherever and heading back to Chicago area?
Bill McElroy: Well, it was I guess it's you know, one of the things we talk about in this work is is liminality or liminal space. And it's all of a sudden you've been through this experience. And that's really what it was for me. It was the thing about it's not like a regular retreat, like you mentioned. It's so experiential, you know, and so it's just the whole thing, you know, the drumming, the circle, the ritual process, contemplation, all these things just create this container that you're in. But it was very liminal for me. The only thing I say is that I was like I was energized and I was charged and I knew it was good. I knew I could trust it. And I knew it was something that was needed. Even I got the airport and on the plane, I was just thinking to myself, this has to go on. We have to bring this to I'm from Illinois. So we have to bring this back to our region. I have to do something. It's not something I can just like, oh, that was a great experience and check that off. I knew that this had to somehow continue. And that was right there from the beginning for me.
Brian Mueller: You know, it's been more than twenty years since you did the Rites of Passage. What has changed in your life, practically, relationally, spiritually, in these twenty years, in part perhaps because of the rites?
Bill McElroy: Well, I would say spiritually for sure, it was just part of the process. I'd been on the spiritual journey for quite some time. I kind of had, I won't say a midlife crisis, but kind of a it's not one crisis that I have. I had an earlier one. My father died when I was twenty nine. And there were several events for about a three-year period that were kind of impactful events where things were going south and were not going the way I thought they should go, you know, being a good Catholic boy and obeying all the rules and doing things right, why is all this stuff, you know, the proverbial, you know, SH One T hitting the fan? You know? In my life, and I'm like, what's going on here? So I got kind of got started on this adult journey right at the very end of my twenties and early thirties. And so So I've been on the journey for a while, but it was convoluted when it, but coming off of the rites, God just became More personal, not as much of God is other out there somewhere that I would relate to, like as a second person type of a thing. It was getting more personal than that. Not just like a Jesus and me thing that like that. It wasn't like that at all. It was more, I don't know. There was more of an inner experience with God. This became more personal than that. It's harder to to describe, actually. But But in any case, it did hi it was impactful in that regard. And I one of the things I learned in this process of the rites and processing it afterwards was Beginning to trust my own experience of things, you know. So, not so much outer authority as, you know, beginning to. Develop a little bit of my own inner authority on that. Not that I'm certainly not the end to all of any of everything, but You know, it was different than just being totally everything out outer. It was more of a combination of inner and outer for me. Hard to describe that.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. How did the rites impact your ideas about masculinity, initiation, even the male journey?
Bill McElroy: Well, first of all, it helped me to see when I was with all these spiritual generative men coming together and doing their work with each other in small group and in a large group and a ritual process, all that. I really could see to me what a healthy masculinity looked like. You know, I mentioned the archetypes before, you know, the king archetype that had no kings. you know, there were there were kings there and magicians there, there were mature men there, and you could feel the difference. And so that kind of like highlighted when you when I would see like what we would call and there seems to be A lot of that going around right now, the toxic Max Masculine, it really stood out, you know, and I could really so it really changed my whole idea of You know, the goal as a king is you have, you know, spiritual energy, but you have an overflow of energy to be a man for others. So you're not there just for yourself and trying to, you know, get me to heaven. And it's just being there to support other others on that same journey. We're all in it together type of a thing. That that why that's what I would say as far as masculinity goes. You know, and you know, it's not that in our culture It was at least especially we're as a boomer. John Wayne w or Rambo would have been, you know, the images that we were given when we were young, we were growing up, you know, a little messy, I'm right across Apache territory for you. Yeah. So the whole image of masculinity that was kind of embedded in me really had a shift at that time and since then.
Brian Mueller: Bill, you're somebody I remember from my rites of passage. You were there. You've been at many rites of passage as a teaching elder. assisting with ritual, just supporting the rites in general. I think you've been there almost every time they've done it in Illinois, except perhaps one year you were sick. But let me ask you what Why do you keep coming back? Why do you keep coming back to the rites?
Bill McElroy: Like I was saying before, just being part of that process, because I know what it can do for a man and how So many people over the years, just they talk about the experience that they've had, the totality of the experience. It hits different men in different ways in different places. It's just miraculous to watch that. So there there's that aspect of it. It's just the satisfaction you get where sometimes you can just see some of these things unfolding. Maybe even that the man can't even see himself, but it's just like, ooh, you know, oh, yeah. And that's a real positive aspect of it. And then there's the logistical side of it is there has to be somebody there. There has to be a body there, you know, to set up chairs. you know, and to you know, to bring men into the circle, to gather men, you know, try to get them to you know settle into the space, to create the sacred container and and that type of a thing. It's so Crucial to the rites is to do that, is that draw yourself out of that outer world, the busyness of it, and all that, you know, and just bring it all in for that container. So there's a logistical part of that, of of being the body that's there doing those things. That that's a necessary thing, you know. But the enjoyment of it is a is a big part of it too. You know, seeing the process right before you, laying out right before you that you went through at one time.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I really hear you. In some of my previous conversations, especially some of the ones I've had more recently, one of the things that comes up is that how supportive The men are that put on the rites, and how some men may have had some trepidation coming into this about what the experience would be like, but they haven't experienced that sort of love and care and tenderness from other men before in their lives. That along with the possibility for transformation that exists in that space, it is it's a beautiful thing.
Bill McElroy: Yeah. I'm going through it. Each individual has their own process, their own thing they're working through, and you're going through it with other men, may have different issues, but you're all going through it together. So it's that Process, you know, the communal immersion nature of it and the experiential nature of it going through it together, you know, makes such a difference when you're going through it with summer. I mean, camaraderie makes Such a difference when you're going through difficult times like that. I did found that in my past. Just if you know somebody else that is suffering, you happen to be suffering from something, just walking shoulder to shoulder, walking almost breaks down. almost brings tears in my eyes right now. It's you know, walking shoulder to shoulder with somebody through that, you totally different issues. It doesn't matter. You're just you're just with somebody. You're not alone. And then the community nature of it, you belong. You belong. It's powerful.
Brian Mueller: Our Illuman community is celebrating thirty years since the first rites of passage, formal rites of passage in the New Mexico desert out there in at Ghost Ranch. What I'd like to ask you, I mean, you've been around for quite a significant part of that time. How have the rites changed and evolved in your estimation or what you've seen?
Bill McElroy: Well, certainly going from the one time a year at Ghost Ranch to the regions. The regions were just getting started right around the time. In fact, I think at my rice, it was the first or second rice where Richard wasn't doing all the teaching. We had teaching elders, men that have been through the rites come in as teaching elders. There's three teachings that are given like that over the five days. So that was one of the one of the changes, and some of those men were actually given and then Richard would come out afterwards and just nuance a little bit, fill the gaps. But now there's more of a regional flavor to these things. And each region is different as far as what's just the environment that you're in. In the Midwest, here are no mountains. biggest thing we got floating around here would be like a a large anthill, maybe. You know, so it's just it's just a different environment as far as that But the essence of it, I think, is the essence of it is still there. And it has to necessarily change when it went from Richard eventually he would come when the region was having their first rites. he would come and do those rites. He did that for us at our two thousand eight rites. You know, he was there. But then after that it was we had other weavers that would that would come in. And each weaver, you know, brings their gifts. You know, but the essence, it really done a really good job of keeping the essence there. And there's been a decided commitment and effort. to keep that there. Things have changed a little bit. Some of the, you know, there'll be some nuancing to some of the rituals as time and culture change. But that essence, though, is still there. And so I find this pretty remarkable. One of the things I like about it.
Brian Mueller: I'm going to try something different now. I would like to read a poem that I became aware of from something I read or something I listened to that Father Richard had done. And it's by D. H. Lawrence. It's called - or it's referred to as “Healing”, I believe. I'm going to read this poem. I think it speaks a little bit to what brings a man to the men's rites of passage or to the point where they might benefit some from initiation. But I'm going to read it and I'm going to ask you to comment and see if there's anything that resonates with you. It's called “Healing”. I am not a mechanism, an assembly of various sections, and it is not because this mechanism is working wrongly that I am ill. I am ill because of wounds to the soul, to the deep emotional self, and the wounds to the soul take a long, long time only time can help and patience and a certain difficult repentance. long, difficult repentance, realization of life's mistake, and the freeing of oneself from the endless repetition of the mistake which mankind at large has chosen to sanctify.
Bill McElroy: I have not heard that poem, but I love it. And D. H. Lawrence was he was a good, excellent poet. Yeah, I would say that directly applies to what a lot of what's going on with the rites and with the inner work in preparing for the rites, the rites themselves, and what goes on afterwards. you know, the soul is wounded in many ways. We each have our own woundings in our life experience, you know. And as I mentioned, part of my experience was the intergenerational nature of some of that that father wound. You know, certainly I experienced it wasn't really a father wound. My dad was a a good dad, a good man. It was more father hunger. He was he was emotionally Kind of distant. You know, he was an alcoholic, which I didn't really know until after I had actually moved out of the house. It was came later. But he wasn't, you know, violent. He was just numbing himself. So I experienced that personally. What is his experience? That's one of the things that helps you look back and say, Well, I wonder what his experience was. So, one of the things that happens with all this work is An expansion of your perspectives, able to see various perspectives, not just your own. And that soul work does take a long time. It doesn't just pop out. Some of the woundings that happen to us are really from early childhood that we're not even aware of, and they kind of get shuttled into the unconscious. buried down in there. But you know, anything like that that you bury, you bury alive. And it does have an impact on your life. And that's what some of the work is, is to You know, and that's why Ritual is such a good teacher. Because some of the symbols in ritual for me, you know, they really help to connect From my conscious awareness to what is unconscious, what's underneath it. Why do I react that way to that? Why does that trigger me? Things like that. And so those are like inroads to getting in there. So I love that poem. That would I think that would be a good one to send out to people ahead of time. ”Healing” it’s called. So when we get off, I'm going to go look that one up and add that to my collection.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I'll put a link in the show notes as well. Just to wrap up here, let's you and I make a case for someone to attend the Illinois rites this year, whether they're coming for the first time or they want to come back as an initiator. to experience the rites again. It's happening August twelfth through the sixteenth at Pilgrim Park. What would you tell a man trying to discern whether or not to come in and join us this year?
Bill McElroy: Well, I would say to them, trust your intuition on that. There's always all kinds of things that are going to get in the way. There'll be tons of excuses. You can make a big, long list of excuses. And you know, some of them five days away, taking off of work, you only have so much vacation time, all these things. Plenty of excuses there. But this is I would just say Take this time out for yourself. You know, this is five days. It's a little longer than a typical weekend retreat, you know, Friday night to Sunday noon, you know, type of thing. you need a couple more days in there to to kind of unwind some of this stuff and and let it let it get in. And I would just tell you the the group of men working and the the Weaver that's coming in, Jim Clarke, that you'll find is outstanding. Joe Lonergan, Ritual Elder, outstanding. I've worked with these men over the years and the team, just committed men that are there for you. So where do you find that in the workplace where you're going to have a team of eight to twelve men that are just there for you? And for your process and your life. So I would say trust your intuition and just get it done. And then you can always beat yourself up afterwards if you didn't work out. There's plenty of opportunity for that. But Probably that's not going to happen. It'll be a positive experience for you.
Brian Mueller: Thank you so much, brother. I want to say I love you and I really appreciate your time. and the courage in sharing us vulnerably your story and experience at the rites and beyond. So thank you so much.
Bill McElroy: Yeah, well, thank you, Brian. You do a great job with this and appreciate it. This needed work. It's been great having call you as a friend over the years too. And we will see you there at the Rice as well. So looking forward to that already. See you in August.
Brian Mueller: Tray Pal, take care. God bless. For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The men's rites of passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve a Illuman has been the steward of this work, preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading “Adam's Return” by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, there are four opportunities in the United States and another in the United Kingdom in twenty-twenty six. The first is in Northern California, May thirteenth through the seventeenth. the second in the United Kingdom, July twenty second through the twenty sixth, and in Illinois, August twelfth through the sixteenth. There's one on the East Coast, in New Jersey, September sixteenth through the twentieth. and the final one of the year is in Texas, which is an MROP and Umbrales, our Spanish language rites, September thirtieth through October fourth. You can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash mrop or Illuman dot org slash events. Additionally, mark your calendars for Awaken, the annual national gathering of Illuman, taking place November fifth through the eighth in New Mexico. You can find more at Illuman dot org slash awaken. Finally, a special thank you to our sponsor, Choosing Presence. If today's conversation moved you, I encourage you to bring more intentionality into your daily life. Download the Practicing Presence app for free at choosingpresence dot org slash app. It's a simple but profound way to stay connected to the journey we've discussed today. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.