Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the Rites and what changed afterward. Before we begin, a quick word of gratitude. This podcast is brought to you by Choosing Presence. We believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction, choosing presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence dot org slash app. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show, we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today we are joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Tom Melancon. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story.
Tom Melancon: Oh, thanks for having me. I appreciate it.
Brian Mueller: Tom, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Tom Melancon: Okay, well, I'm from Seattle, Washington, and I am very recently retired. And when we get into the rite of passage, we'll talk about that. But it was last year that I did my rites. I think they call it it was in Oregon, I'm forgetting the name - Sky Camp in Oregon. And I was right in the middle of wrapping up my last year of service. I was a federal employee for almost 25 years. And the job I was ending was I worked as a federal mediator for the last ten years of my federal service. And so retired now and just Finding all kinds of ways to fill up my scaffolding. I feel like I'm just as busy as I was when I was working.
Brian Mueller: So, Tom, your men's rites of passage story is a little bit different from those we've featured in our past episodes. Let's start by talking about your introduction to Father Richard Rohr and men's spirituality. Can you tell me a little bit more about when and where you attended your men's retreat offered by the Center for Action Contemplation?
Tom Melancon: Yeah, absolutely. So. This was in the early 90s. I just called my little brother to try to help me remember because it's been 30 plus years. 93, 94, we traveled to Ghost Ranch for a men's retreat. They weren't calling it a rites of passage, but it was a hundred men and Richard was the leader, and it was for a week. And it was a powerful experience. My brother and I were on the younger side of the crowd. I mean, you know, I was. in my early uh thirties and uh he was late, you know, late twenties. He's five years younger than me. And uh we were really I mean, there was it was quite a few men that were most of the men were quite a bit older than than us. And I went two years in a row, and it gets a little fuzzy about which year which thing happened. But one of the years, I think it was when my brother-in-law went with me the next year, we actually had the opportunity to have breakfast with Richard one day. He said Put it out there that he had some time to, so we had breakfast with him, and we were in the process of trying to form kind of a little spiritual community in where I lived at the time, which was northern Nevada. And I asked him. I said, Richard, I'm watching these men, especially the older men, and they're having these really profound spiritual experiences. And I'm feeling something, but not that. And he said, don’t take this the wrong way, Tom, but you're not old enough. And I'm not sure I really even understood what he was saying. But when I went back and took - did the men’s rites passage with Illuman last summer, I was just about to turn 65. I had a profound spiritual experience. I understood all those years later what he was talking about. Yeah, it was transformative. And so it's just interesting. And I hadn't until I listened to your podcast a few weeks ago with the gentleman who went on the first of Richard's Rites Passage, I hadn't connected the dots that I mean, I knew Richard had something to do with Illuman, but I hadn't realized that we'd been to One of the gatherings of men that was prior to when he probably called it a rites of passage.
Brian Mueller: Right. Yeah. That was the time when he was actually developing the rites, probably. And you know, certain. It's kind of the precursor. Do you remember some of the themes or the names of these retreats that you went on?
Tom Melancon: Yeah, one of them was the Hero's Journey. God, I should have. You know what? I think I have some notes somewhere buried somewhere around it because I took notes. But I can remember some of the themes. It was. One of the themes that and it stuck with me because I've, you know, my whole life I've thought about it was that process of a man in terms of his life and his career Is that you're building this tower of achievements and accomplishments, and you're building, building, building. And then at some point, if you want to get to the level that you want to get to, you jump off the tower. And I thought that was a really powerful. And I was still building my tower at the time. You know, I was in my early 30s. I had a lot of my career left. You know, I had a couple of careers later after that. But it was pretty powerful, that idea of this tower of a common. And I remember, one of the things I remember from that workshop, too, was this. I don't know if they've used it in Lumen, but it was this Image of a world, and there's a man at each stage of his life, and there's a there's a Part of it where he's kind of looking eagerly because he's climbing, and it was part of this tremendous. And at one point, he's on top, and he looks like he's like, He's just got it, and then at another point, he's starting to slip on the other side. And it was this idea of this inexorable wheel of life that Richard was talking about. And that was one of the other themes that it just keeps going. You know, you have these accomplishments, and then maybe a defeat, and then you get back up. But it's a cycle and it continues.
Brian Mueller: That's great to hear. I'm excited to hear a little bit about what some of those events were that kind of led up to the rites. Can you tell me a little bit about what was going on in your life at that time that compelled you to go to this retreat?
Tom Melancon: So, the first time or the last year?
Brian Mueller: No, the first time.
Tom Melancon: Yeah, so the first time I think part of it was my younger brother and I, and then my brother-in-law, because we kind of attended with each one, we were attempting to create Kind of a little spiritual community. We were getting together with some families. It was mostly our family, but it was also some friends. And I lived in Reno, Nevada at the time. We were going to And my brother and my sister lived in a little town called Loyalton, California, a little mountain town. We were going over there every Sunday. Getting together, kind of praying together, and then talking about what community could look like. And, you know, one, we were, we were. talking and thinking about buying some property and having like a planned community. And one of the communities we'd thought about or read about was a one that Richard had Had established New Jerusalem. It was before he was even at the Center for Action and Contemplation. It was prior to that. I know he had worked with the community. So we were kind of in this spiritual quest. But interestingly, one of the things that was going on with me, too, and it took me years to figure it out, and it's part of my story, and I don't mind. Talk telling people about it because it is just what it is. I was also starting my career as an alcoholic and it was starting to ramp up. And so it took me years. It took me about 10 years. Well, Yeah, almost seven or eight years from that date to realize that I needed to get in recovery, and I've been in recovery since since I moved to Seattle in 2001. So almost 20 it would be 25 years of November. But that was a big it was it was impacting me and I didn't even realize How yet. You know, it it was something that, you know, I realized that if I was going to have a spiritual practice, I was going to have to figure out how to keep from killing myself with drugs and alcohol first. Right. Because the two were not going to, you know, they were kind of not going to exist together. So that was going on.
Brian Mueller: So it sounds to me like you were aware of Father Richard Rohr's involvement with the New Jerusalem community in Cincinnati. Maybe you also had some subconscious calling, you know, or a draw to the work to do some spiritual work.
Tom Melancon: Well, I was. And I was going to mention one other thing, and Stephen and I, my younger brother. We'd also been reading some works like Robert Blies, Iron John. We were interested in ways in this idea of young men especially having some sort of a rite of passage. We were talking about it. We didn't know what it looked like yet, but we were kind of looking at whether it would it would be possible to create such a thing, right? Now we didn't get around to doing that, but we had that was part of part of the reason the reason to go to the to the retreats with Richard was to explore that and to learn more about that.
Brian Mueller: I'm glad you mentioned that. So you were aware of Bly's work and Mead's work, the mythopoetic movement, men's movement that was going on at the time. Yeah. Yeah, let me ask you, so but when you did come out of this retreat experience in the early 90s, what did you take away from it? What did you take away from that experience?
Tom Melancon: I mean, I think I realized that there was more that was possible. And part of it, again, going back to my experience, I was watching these men have this really powerful experience, and I wasn't quite having the same one. And, you know, why that is, I'm not sure. Again, Richard said it was possibly that I hadn't lived enough, really, to if I understand what you were saying. But also, you know, I was still you know, battling some of my demons, like I said. So so it definitely opened up possibilities for me and where things could go. But it took me a few years to just, you know, again, kind of get my Alcohol and drug demons, you know, and by the way, you know, that's a lifelong thing. I still, I'm still an alcoholic and a drug addict, but I've been in recovery for 24 years. So I feel like, and that's a It's a day-to-day thing, you know, and I and I'm still involved in a recovery program. I still, you know, sponsor people and I'm active in it. And so that was part of Part of what I think I just had to go through. But it did plant some seeds. It really definitely plants some seeds. And there's some themes that I'll never forget Like the one we just, I talked about where it's this idea of jumping off your tower of accomplishments, or things that really resonated with me my whole life
Brian Mueller: Yeah, that's a theme you continually hear in the men's work is that we are constantly building towers or we were climbing ladders and we find out when we get to the top, it's leaning against the wrong wall, I think is another. Yeah. Yeah, you know, you mentioned, I can really relate to what you were saying. Recently, I reread a book that I had read in college, and it was like, and I had really liked it then, and I was inspired by it on some level. It's called The True Believer. It's a philosophical book about the theory and nature of mass movements. But I read it again this winter and it was a totally different book for me. I really needed experience to go deeper. So I totally understand what you're saying about the rites. There's so many things that you're mentioning that I hope we'll hit on in this conversation. If you don't mind, let's go into talk a little bit about the men's rites of passage. Before we do that, I always like to read this. Statement just to let the listeners know, because this podcast is really dedicated to men that may know about the men's rites of passage, but really are not familiar with the experience. So, let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience, it's not a retreat or a workshop. It's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at The very beginning. So you've been, you know, there was a big gap in your experiences of the men's spiritual work. I guess that in the organization that became a Illuman. But tell us, when did you make your rites then?
Tom Melancon: So I made it in May of last year, and it was a really interesting time for me because I won't go into too much detail, but the the listeners can imagine what was going on last year. I was a federal employee and there was probably some stuff in the news about what was happening with federal employees. We felt like we were kind of under siege. And uh and I was uh but I was still working as a federal mediator uh for a little agency called the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. And uh I was I was one of the things I was uh other thing that I do in my a vocation of mine is I've been a musician for many years, played in played in bands and and led bands, and I was getting ready to go to France For two weeks to participate in a musical artist residency, a place in Chateau in France. And then I was going to spend another two weeks with my partner. So I had a whole month That was carved out in April last year. And I needed to save up all my leave because I'm a you know, I'm a public servant, we don't get inexhaustible leave, and I'm saving and saving and saving. And I think I just have enough, and a week before I am supposed to go to France. I get an admin a letter that says we're going to be put on administrative leave. Okay, you know, and and but it also means I don't have to use my leave. They're going to pay for the government's going to pay for me to be in France. That's just the way it works out. So I go to France, have an amazing time. That's a whole other experience. And then when I got back, a friend of mine named Mark Titus had been involved in a rite of passage the year before, and he said, Tom. We've talked about, I know you've read Richard Rohr's stuff, you've got a connection with him. There's this group that I was involved in, and I think you'd really dig this thing. And he told me about it. And the reason I hadn't signed up for it is I didn't think I'd have enough leave because I was using all my leave to go to France. Well, I didn't have to use any of my leave to go to France. So I got back from France and I said, Mark, I'm going. And I signed up. And got to go to Sky Camp, and it was in May of last year.
Brian Mueller: And that was the first rites of passage that was done in Oregon, right?
Tom Melancon: Was it?
Brian Mueller: Okay. I believe that was the very first one. Who was your weaver? It was Ned. Ned Abenroth. Okay.
Tom Melancon: Yeah. And you know, I tell you, the experience was really different. And so and part of the reason I think it was different was, you know, in those 30 years that went by, especially the last 24 between My first exposure and this brighter passage. I had done a lot of work spiritually, and I'm not going to go into great detail about it because it's an anonymous program, but I am in recovery and I participate in a program that helps people stay sober, right? And it is a spiritual program. It really is. It's not the same. I mean, there's differences and nuances, but it definitely part of it is focusing on your spiritual Development and your connection with whatever your version of higher power that there is, right? So I'd done that work, but also when I got when I arrived at Sky Camp It was a time that was I'm in a transition. I am literally looking at jumping off my tower 'cause I've been working for the federal government for almost twenty five years. I can see the end is near. You know, they've already put me there, already laid me off, kind of ready to go anyway. I was I was looking at the end of that year anyway. And then the other thing is, I really decided to lean in to the experience. I mean, I made a conscious decision that, you know, I trust Mark, my friend. He told me this thing is. Is legit. I believe in it. I've been connected in one way or another to Richard Roare for all these years. And I decided I'm going to say yes to this experience. And I did. I kind of jumped in.
Brian Mueller: Did you know anything about the rites? Had you read Adam's Return? I mean, you have a little bit different journey, but what did you know going in?
Tom Melancon: I'd read Adam's Return just prior to the workshop or to the rites of passage. And so I knew, you know, I had some idea of what to expect. But obviously, you know. You know more about it than I do, but it feels like the Illuman group has really taken Richard's work and expanded it.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, it has evolved some in recent years. But you obviously had a great deal of trust. You had a friend recommender. You had experienced Richard's retreats in the past and you had read Adam's Return. Who else did you share? With the your decision to attend the rites, your partner or anybody else, maybe?
Tom Melancon: My partner knew about it, and she was very supportive of it. I think I I reached out to my younger brother 'cause I I was uh wanted to let him know that I was going to another Richard's retreat or you know con something connected to Richard. But you know, the other thing is um I actually have a fair amount of skepticism when it comes to anything that can feel guru-ish or, you know, cult-ish in any way. And so When I arrived, you know, my my antenna were out. Like, okay, is there, you know, is there anything that's going to be weird here? And one of the things that I started feeling right off the bat is just an immense amount of trust. Because I could tell how much planning and care and attention had gone into this process. And you know, I've been involved in my professional life in planning Conferences and events related to my work for years. I know what goes into it. And I know this is different, but there's some similarities in terms of food and everything you need to do in terms of preparation for lodging and the activities. And so I was just I was kind of blown away. Right off the bat, I could tell this is these are serious people really trying to make this an experience that people could come away with that'll change their lives. And so I really leaned in.
Brian Mueller: I'm really glad you noticed that. It really is a labor of love for the men that put on these men's rites of passage. It's a lot of work, but it shows their deep care and affection and willingness. They want to do this for others. They've had the experience themselves. And they want to carry that work forward. So let me ask you: what when you were heading into the rites, just about to start, was there something you were hoping for? Was there something you wanted to be initiated into?
Tom Melancon: You know, I don't know if there was anything tangible like that. I had a healthy amount of kind of fear. There was a certain amount of me that's like, oh, am I going to have to do something that's going to make me really uncomfortable? Or, you know, am I going to have to be vulnerable in some way? And it turns out, yeah. If you decide to. And it was fine. But I had a certain amount of just anxiety around that. But also, just really, again, this openness to Like, this is a time in my life when I think that this will benefit me. And so I'm just kind of open to what happens.
Brian Mueller: So, when you think back to those rites, what's the first image that comes forth for you?
Tom Melancon: Well, and I'm going to be careful, I don't want to give anything away in case somebody hasn't gone to one and wants to, but you know, each I can say this, each day there they ask for a group of men to volunteer to help Create a ritual, right? And the very first day they asked for that, I volunteered. I raised my hand. Again, it was part of me. I'm jumping in. I'm going to get involved in this thing. And I won't even describe the ritual, but there was this team that formed around that. And for the rest of the retreat, we were a team. Like, because we raised our hands for that, and because we got connected. I mean, I connected with a lot of men at the retreat, but that was like my little posse. You know, we hung out. We we got to know each other because we we participated in this pretty powerful ceremony that was very much at the beginning. It was one of the first things that happened that everybody participated in, but we were facilitating that with the leaders.
Brian Mueller: And so that was one of the things that kind of really got me involved in the stories about fraternity. Yeah, that's a big deal. So was there a without, you know, obviously you're You're very aware of the confidentiality and things like that. And I don't want to ask you to share anything you don't, but was there a particular experience that you had while at the rites, or maybe even an encounter with another man, that was especially poignant for you?
Tom Melancon: Yeah, there were several, and I will be careful not to describe it, but there was a particular ritual that we were involved in. I think I can say it involved grief. I think it's not giving any way about it. And it was extremely powerful. And I I found myself at at several points during that ritual just feeling like I had I was able to let go of some things that I had been carrying around for a long time. It was a way to ritually kind of represent That and in the process of this ritual. And that's the thing, these things were so well thought out. I was just, every time I experienced one, so that was super powerful. And then there was another Another ritual it involved kind of interacting with almost every person in the every man in the room. And this was one where we were kind of letting go of some things we'd carried around, some shame and guilt. And then at the end of the Process basically kind of connecting with another man. And it was really, really powerful for me. It really, the ritual is really where things pivot, right? Absolutely. Well, so just a funny story is after one of these events, I had cleaned myself up, but I hadn't completely cleaned my face up, and there was some some Ash and I cried and stuff like that. And this friend of mine from the that I'd gone to the retreat with, because he was there as one of the assistants. People in the background. So, Mark was there during the retreat, and I got to connect with him periodically. He said, Tom, are you having a nice relaxing time here in Oregon? He says, I should take a picture of your face. And I said, yeah, it's not exactly like that. I mean, it is great, but it's like it's not just like a summer camp. It's - it's there's a lot going on here, you know.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, you're going to do some work, but it's so well that leads me into the next question. So, when the event was open, the closing of the rites happened, and it was time to drive back to Seattle. How were you feeling?
Tom Melancon: Well, that's a great question because what I experienced, and I feel like I'm still experiencing it to an extent, they talk about that liminal space that you get into, right, that you arrive in, and the rituals create it. I felt like for weeks, maybe months afterwards, and I still feel it to an extent now that I was That I had a, I was walking in a different state, like a, I mean, a kind of a state of grace. It felt like, I don't know. I mean, and again, I remember hearing and reading. Richard Rohr talked about this. The colors are brighter. I can hear the birds and they sound differently because it was this experience really. I walked in there one way and walked out another way. And it's really. Difficult to describe unless you've gone through it, you know? But it but it really was different than just about anything I'd ever, maybe anything I've ever experienced. Difficult to describe. I mean, I think one of the things, and I don't remember who said this, Meister. There was this, I'm going to garble the quote, but I'm going to try it. Best things can't be talked about. The second best things are often misunderstood. So we end up talking about the third best things.
Brian Mueller: Yeah.
Tom Melancon: Right. That kind of made sense to me.
Brian Mueller: No, it's hard to speak about the those transcendent experiences. They're they're very deep. And somehow it does feel like you you lose them when you do try to articulate them too. So Yeah, that's great. So I also tell guys sometimes, if possible, take some time after the rites before you re-enter your normal life. Not everybody has that luxury, but if you do, you definitely will benefit from some time to process. So you come back and you tell your partner, maybe you tell some other people. What was your report on the rites to others?
Tom Melancon: Well, I mean, I think like you just talked about, it was really difficult to describe. The person that I could Describe it to the best was Mark because he would been there and he'd been through the right deer for. And so we talked about it a lot. I decompressed with him quite a bit. And, you know, I did, and I did let my Partner to know what the experience was like and how it had impacted me. And I was fortunate because I came back and I was still laid off. I was still on administrative leave. So I didn't have to go right back into work. I did end up going back to work. That year and ended up retiring at the end of September. But yeah, I had some time to really kind of sink into it. And I have a meditation practice that I do every day. And so I was able to meditate it on every day. And continue reading and trying to stay connected to it.
Brian Mueller: Yeah. So, I mean, obviously, the rites came for you at a very transitional point in your life. honestly for the country as well, right? We had a new presidency that affected your job. You're maybe transitioning, you're moving towards retirement, those sorts of things. But what's changed in your life since the census rites, practically, relationally, spiritually, anything?
Tom Melancon: I think it's the rites had a big part of this. When I got ready to retire, I had this I have this friend who's a really bright guy, and we have lunch periodically. And he said, Okay, well, now that you're retired, you have to build your scaffolding. And I said, What does that mean? And he says, Well, you know, whatever Whatever your structure is that you're going to do, it's important to have it, you know. And it was really good advice because when I finished work, Last September, it took me a while to create it. It it takes a while. It is you kind of have to just kind of ease into it. But I do. I have this basic outline that I do every day, and there's a spiritual Practice every day. You know, I get up and meditate and pray every morning. And that's something that I'd done before, but I have a little bit more intention about it now. And then, you know, I met position where I can, you know, because I've been doing this musical thing for so many years, I have, you know, I get together with guys and play music a couple of times a week. I still am a Part of this recovery program they're involved as, I'm pretty active in that. I spend time with my partner, I travel, and I just think that I've been given the opportunity to just be more reflective about my life because I'm not having to go to a full-time job every day. I am still, you know, I'm on a board and I do a little bit of contract work, but I really have. More time than I've ever had before, and I'm not having a hard time filling it up. I have signed up for the Awaken Event in November for Illuman. Yeah, so I'm going to go to that.
Brian Mueller: I'm excited. That's great. That's the annual gathering of Illuman this year. It's going to take place at Camp Glorietta outside of Santa Fe. How has your understanding of masculinity initiation or even the male purpose shifted over this time?
Tom Melancon: Well, that's a great question. It's a it's a A concept I've thought about, like I said, for many years. Even my brother Stephen and I were talking about it way back when we went to the first event with Richard. But really, I was really impressed with Watching this group of men that was being initiated last summer. You know, I think the youngest person in the room was like 24. And there were men in there that were older, you know, that were in their 80s and a good cross-section in between. And just how important it is, I think, right now, if you think about all the things that are happening in the world. I mean, I heard about this. I don't know if you heard about this. There's like a social media thing going on right now with a, I think the young, the guy who's the leader of it is called Clavicular. I mean, and it's basically around Kind of almost destroying your body as a young man so that you have this particular form that you're trying to get to. And it's not even realistic. It's like If I'm hearing it right, they're like hitting themselves in the face with like hammers to create a certain look, and then they're Starving themselves and taking steroids so that they, you know, kind of have that Ken doll sort of thing. And that is what young men are aspiring to, some young men. And it just seems like, oh my God, that Is is so tragic, and then we have this opportunity, and it's it's I think it's important for everyone, but especially for the young men. To have another path, to have another opportunity of looking at life as a life of service rather than what can I get out of it, which is so much of our By popular culture, you know. I mean, good, good grief. As hard as it's hard enough to be a young man, and go through everything you go through, the changes that are happening, to have that to try to aspire to, I have to do that. Like that just my heart breaks for anybody that feels like that's the path that they need to be on, you know.
Brian Mueller: Well, that's one of the things that maybe it's a good time to mention this. One of the things we learn about in our men's work is about mentoring and how important it is for younger men to have a mentor, an older man who can appreciate them. in a very real way and help mentor them throughout their life. So yeah, I think we're speaking to some of that. Let me ask you what counsel or advice you would give to a man who's currently debating whether or not to register or attend a rites of passage?
Tom Melancon: I would say go and in my experience and judgment, based on you know, 65 years beyond this planet, there's no way it's going to hurt you. It can only help you. It can only help. And so if you're open to it at all, go in and lean in when you get there.
Brian Mueller: I'd also like to engage a little bit about 12-step work, specifically because I've been involved with Illuman for more than a decade now, and I would say that A significant portion, perhaps a quarter, a third of the men that I encounter in Illumina have some sort of background in 12 steps. And I include myself in that. My first invitation into spiritual work came through Al-Anon. And had I not participated in Al-Anon, I do not think I would have ever made a rites of passage. I say that that first step That it was a humbling step, the powerlessness that you have to admit over whatever it is in your life. That sort of tilled the soil, you know, softened the soil, and made it possible, I think, for me to attend a man's rites of passage. What can you tell others who might also be members of a twelve-step community and how the rites could kind of complement that experience?
Tom Melancon: Well, yeah, they're very complimentary. I mean, that's one of the things that my friend Mark knew when he mentioned to me, you know, that he knew my experience with being in recovery and also interest in these. Yeah, I think there's just a natural connection there. The thing that I was one of the many things I was impressed with with Illuman was there was no Definition of what your spiritual path was going to look like. It was so open, which is the same with 12-step recovery. There's not a definition that's given to God or higher power, whatever you want to call it. The idea is find one. find one and hang on. And the other thing that is a really amazing parallel, you mentioned mentorship. So I - one of the one of the best parts in my experience of the 12-step work is the mentoring because um Typically, in whatever program you're involved in, you get a they call it a sponsor, but you get a person that guides you through the process. I've had the same one for almost 25 years. And in some ways, I mean, in some ways, he kind of raised me. It's not like I was, you know, I was, I grew up in a family. I had two parents. But I just feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff. Like I wasn't paying attention, or somebody else handed out the rule book and some basic things that you should know as a man in terms of honesty and integrity and just All the stuff that you want to have, I felt like I kind of missed it somehow. And so, working with this man that I still work with. He walked me through it. And I think there's parallels with that work and the work that happens in Illumina because there's this, like you said, this mentorship through the rituals and also the Not to give away too much, but the small groups that happen while the process is going. It's a great way to kind of amplify what's going on in the rituals and in the big room. So I think the whole, the way it's put together, there's r there's great parallels with anybody that's done his 12-step work. It won't be alien to them.
Brian Mueller: Yeah, I'd say if you have 12-step experience, when you come to the rites, you may actually have a little bit of a head start over somebody that has not experienced that. And the 12th step, the one about having us, having had a spiritual awakening. I always like that because I think that that reminds us. To continue, continue our spiritual journey. And I always say that any good spiritual work has open doors and windows. You know, it allows you to come and go. And this is to say that you can walk out 12-step work. Bill Newman, you can walk back into 12-step work. You can do them simultaneously. You can go on to something else, but you should never feel trapped by your spiritual journey.
Tom Melancon: Right. Well, and one of the I think when I saw Richard, one of the times I saw him, I think he said, turn your video cameras off because I'm going to say something if you have a video or don't record this. And he says something, and I'm going to paraphrase it, that in his experience, some of the most authentic spiritual experiences he's seen have happened. Occurring twelve groups. I mean, and that was pretty profound coming from a theologian of his stature, right? So, yeah, there's something going on there.
Brian Mueller: So, yeah, no, I was just going to mention about you probably read Breathing Underwater. Did so Richard encountered the 12 Steps and was really taken by its spirituality and Yeah, wrote a whole book about it as he often does.
Tom Melancon: But yeah, that's a great reference. It's a really, really good book if you want to connect the dots between, you know, the kind of spirituality that's in the Lumen and what's taught in the Twelve Steps. It really is a good a good text.
Brian Mueller: Tom, I'm really glad you reached out to me and that we've been able to have this conversation. I just want to add, is there anything else you'd like to add about your experience or anything about your earlier experiences with men's work?
Tom Melancon: No, I just really appreciate the opportunity, Brian. It's been a pleasure. It's great to talk about this stuff.
Brian Mueller: Brother, I look forward to seeing you at Awaken. And I really want to thank you today for your honesty and your courage and for giving us a window into your experience at the Men's Rites of Passage. Thank you. For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul, and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The men's rites of passage was originally developed by Father Richard and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was imported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve Illuman has been the steward of this work, preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading Adam's Return by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, there are four opportunities in the United States and another in the United Kingdom in twenty-twenty six. The first is in Northern California, may thirteenth through the seventeenth, the second in the United Kingdom, July twenty second through the twenty sixth, and in Illinois, August twelfth through the sixteenth. There's one on the East Coast, in New Jersey, September sixteenth through the twentieth, and the final one of the year is in Texas, which is in MROPN Umbrales, our Spanish language rites, September thirtieth through October fourth. You can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash MROP or Illuman dot org slash events. Additionally, mark your calendars for Awaken, the annual national gathering of Illuman, taking place November fifth through the eighth in New Mexico. You can find more at Illuman dot org slash awaken. Finally, a special thank you to our sponsor, Choosing Presence. If today's conversation moved you, I encourage you to bring more intentionality into your daily life. Download the Practicing Presence app for free at choosingpresence dot org slash app. It's a simple but profound way to stay connected to the journey we've discussed today. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.