Brian Mueller: Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the Rites and what changed afterward. Before we begin, a quick word of gratitude. This podcast is brought to you by Choosing Presence. We believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction, choosing presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence dot org slash app. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show, we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today we are joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Rich Horton. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story.
Rich Horton: I'm glad to be here and really willing to share my story.
Brian Mueller: Rich, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days.
Rich Horton: Well, I'm originally from Northeast Ohio, outside of Cleveland, but for the last almost ten years now I have lived in Columbus, Ohio. And love love Ohio for the most part. Love the topography and the people. It's a very welcoming Columbus in particular is a very welcoming community.
Brian Mueller: How do you keep busy these days?
Rich Horton: Oh well, I have a lot of interests. And one of them, of course, is I facilitate The Columbus Council of Illuman, which I have been doing now for almost nine years. And I love it. It's really a great group. And our group is getting a bit large. We have between eight and ten almost every month. And sometimes we get twelve, which is a little bit tight around my dining room table. But it's always very, very enjoyable. And so that's one of my major interests. The other one is: I am president of the Columbus, Ohio Prime Timers, which is a group of almost a hundred mature gay men and those that like them. A social group and a lot of wonderful men. And then my other major interest is my church. I'm on the vestry of St. Stephen's Episcopal. and University Center on the campus of Ohio State University. Plus I sing in the choir, and I do all the flowers for the church.
Brian Mueller: Wow. Yeah, you do keep busy. Well, thank you for all that. Now, let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop, but it's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the very beginning. When and where did you make your rites, Rich?
Rich Horton: I did my MROP in twenty fourteen. And in Illinois, it was a beautiful setting. I can't remember the name of the park, but it was really, really lovely. We've had a lot of natural areas, which beats my heart since I'm also a naturalist. So it was really, really lovely. And I will never forget walking in that very first night. And this was with the ritual drumming and the smiles on so many people's faces. There's probably well over thirty men, I think, there at that re at that MROP. And one of the first feelings that I had was welcome. It was probably the first time I did something like this since I came out as a gay man back in 19 oh gosh 89 long time ago but I never felt in any way this is the problem being there back I felt so encouraged to participate and be a part of everything that was going on.
Brian Mueller: That's terrific. So I believe it was Pilgrim Park that you were at. That's where the rites are in Illinois. Who was your weaver?
Rich Horton: Oh, that was Belden Lane. Oh, what an incredible man. He was one of the ones that really set the tone of the whole experience. I think I connected with him. I still believe that he was a retired minister. And I had in 2014, I had just completed my training to become a spiritual director. And so it was kind of like I was moving from that whole new chapter of my life because I had been retired basically since 2009. And looking for how I could transfer my life or the rest of my life in my journey. It was the right decision. To come to Pilgrim Park and be a part of it.
Brian Mueller: And when you think back to that weekend, what are the images or what is the image or the feeling that really comes forth for you?
Rich Horton: I don't think I will ever forget the rituals. They were powerful. In fact, just sitting here now, I remember the one with the broken mirror, you know, that whole experience of shattering the past. Looking into where I've come from, that ritual wasn't the only one, but that was the one that stuck with me. And in fact, I still have pieces with that mirror and a shadow box in my study here. It was just and again I remember because I was part of a ritual, and I remember on my hands and knees going to every man in the circle. and looking into their eyes. And I'll never forget it.
Brian Mueller: Powerful. Now, without sharing anything you might consider confidential, is there a particular story or moment at the rites that stood out to you, maybe even an encounter with somebody else?
Rich Horton: Well, there was one of the men who was I don't know if he was one of the presenter. And I think that I remember him the most because he shared so deeply the pain of Being abused sexually. And while I was never abused sexually, I was abused emotionally. And it touched me because One of the things that and I'm willing to share this, one of the things that has always been a crossroads for me is in the time I was five years old and my father told me he didn't want a sissy for his sons. I knew why it was different. And it took me forty five years to finally come to terms with that. and to deal with it. But it was that came forth also in the rite of passage, that the pain of that experience in the past. But then the overcoming of that pain and the transformational every time I think about the MROP, I think about transformation. And for me, there were all those nuggets of old that I hold on to that I got at that retreat. It was truly a rite of passage.
Brian Mueller: Now I want to take you back to the decision to go to the rites. I know you said that you retired about 2009, so you were still relatively early in your retirement. But you also said you had just completed your spiritual direction. Can you tell us a little bit more about the circumstances, though, that led up to your decision to go ahead and register and participate in the rites?
Rich Horton: I had been a part of the training program to become a spiritual director for two years. I started in 2012. I was kind of at a crossroads. I had been in a short-term relationship with a wonderful man, but a man who was not available to me, really. emotionally and even physically. And so I didn't know where my life was going. And even though I had retired I retired from full-time work in 2005, and then I worked 20 hours a week for the next three years. But in 2009, I retired completely. And so I felt that I was at a crossroads. It was one of the reasons I went into spiritual direction training. After being pulled greatly by my own spiritual directors and another friend who just raved about this program, the spiritual direction program. So then when I finished the program, it was like, okay, where do I go from here? You know, it was 2014. I was in my early 70s at that point, and it was like, okay, what do I do? But I also As part of my spiritual direction training in that, I had really gotten in touch with my own spirituality, and I wanted to deepen that. And I felt that going to the men's rites of passage would help me get more in touch. With their true self, that's deep within them.
Brian Mueller: Now, when you entered the rites, was there something that you were hoping for, something that you were looking to be initiated into?
Rich Horton: I guess for me, it was to be initiated into the world of helping masculinity. Having grown up for so many years feeling that I wasn't I wasn't physically attractive. I certainly didn't think. Turns out I was wrong. But I really. I wanted to really go deeper for myself in my journey.
Brian Mueller: Was there anything, though, on the flip side that you were fearing or any fear that you had entering into the rites?
Rich Horton: Well, I think as a gay man, I was fearful of coming into a group of men who I assumed would be majority heterosexual. That was probably my only fear. I had gotten beyond that a little bit, having come out in 89, but I had also gone through some very severe trauma. my teaching career where I had a superintendent tried to fire me for no reason really because I was gay. So There was always a hesitancy for me to get involved with other men and would I be accepted. Or the man I am.
Brian Mueller: Who did you share your decision to attend the rites with, if anyone?
Rich Horton: That's a good question. I don't have much family here in Ohio. I think the only one I shared it with was my were my two sons. And they were supportive, even though they didn't quite understand what I was doing. They go, Dad, you're going to an initiation program for men and you're how old That was kind of the attitude, but they were still supporters.
Brian Mueller: Now, the rites lasts for parts of five days. It's a long event, but we all get through it. You get through it. How did you feel in that immediate period as you were leaving Pilgrim Park and heading back home?
Rich Horton: I was riding on a club. I'm remembering that there was a time in the afternoon one day of that retreat where we were to go off by our fell, which we did a lot of, but this was a really significant amount of time. And I found myself sitting amongst the trees and really meditating on what are the What are the nuggets of gold, the crystals of whatever diamonds, whatever you want to call them? But what are they that make up my soul? And it was while I was sitting there that it came to me something that I had discovered even a number of years before, but had not really taken to heart, and that was that I am the possibility of love, joy, and wonder. And that was totally affirmed at that initiation program, men's rite of passage. And so as I came out of that experience All I wanted was more. I still fear how I wanted to do more. I wanted to feel more. I wanted to be more a part of What it means to be a healthy man, spiritually grounded through love.
Brian Mueller: That's beautiful. So you come back and I imagine you spoke to your sons again, but who all did you tell about the rites and maybe how did some of those conversations change?
Rich Horton: Well, I was very fortunate because Before I even went on the right, I had already formed a men's group in outside of Cleveland, east side of Cleveland. So I was very eager to get back and to share my experience with the men. So that's who I shared it with. And I hope that maybe some of those men went on to do their own That's right, it passes. I think some of them did.
Brian Mueller: Are you continuing to have new realizations? Is there anything that is continuing to emerge in your life that is coming out of those rites that rites experience you had?
Rich Horton: I think one of the biggest things that has really stuck with me is the fact that I need to go into silent, deep meditation. And connect with, I call them my angels or my spiritual guides or whatever, but connect with God and feel the present every single day. And as I've shared with many of my own helpful members here in Columbus, I have a spirit guide that visits me almost every day in the form of a red cardinal. And it is truly a spirit guide. And I walk out my door in the morning at like 6:30, 7 o'clock to take the dog out. And there's my cardinal singing on the top of the tree. So my connection with nature is deep and deep and more. I just feel like My life is still evolving, is still growing. I'm going to be 83 in a month. And I just love the experiences that I've had and how it has created such a positive journey for me. And I think about the journey of eliminations, following the men’s rites of passage. I still deal with that. I still go with that. My life is full of present every single hour of every single day. And I experience that with the contact that I have with the other people that come into my life, which is a lot.
Brian Mueller: Thank you, Rich. I love the image of a cardinal as your spirit guide. I think that's beautiful. Let me ask, has anything how is your how has your understanding of masculinity initiation or purpose shifted since your experience at the rites and all the years of work in between?
Rich Horton: I think what I've come to realize is that an awful lot of men have learned the wrong kinds of things about who they are. And I think in many ways they are craving an experience like I've had with Illuman and continue to have. And I can remember once I was sharing like I was actually sharing that I was going to this wonderful writing retreat. In January, sponsored by Ohio Illuman and led by you and another man - Tom. And the women were at most of the men most of the practitioners at the Reiki Center are women. And they were saying, you know, us women have these kinds of relationships, but so many men do not. They were so excited and wanted to share what I was doing with the men in their line.
Brian Mueller: So what counsel or advice would you give to a man who is currently kind of discerning whether or not to register or participate in our rites of passage?
Rich Horton: I think the first thing to do is to go into prayer and to really focus on what it is you're looking for in your life. And what is hampering you or holding you back? And then, as you approach it in meditation and prayer, and compassion for yourself, come to a decision that this could be a really important step. for continuing your journey as a helping man in our society.
Brian Mueller: I just have really one more question for you. And I want our listeners to know that you and I were both initiates of the same rites of passage and Rich, you're a very dear man to me, and we've been in community together since that time and have really both been on our own journeys of illumination and our together journey. And you've done a lot for gay men. I think that's a particular part of your spiritual journey. And I would just like to hear a little bit more about your experience as a gay man within Illuman and also what you might share with other men about not just about Illuman, but your own individual experience, what it means.
Rich Horton: I guess. The thing that strikes me every time I listen to it or watch it is the welcome that was given at Awaken, the first Awaken in Virginia that I went to. And that is the experience that I want other gay men to have is we are all welcome. And this journey is for all men. I just, you know, I think back to my own council here in Columbus. We have just gone through a big loss. One of our members died just the Monday after Easter. And our council meet tonight without Don. And it has just been such an incredible experience to be with men. And it doesn't matter if you're gay or straight or bi or just, you know, what matters is you're present. And to be present and to listen from the heart. Here comes the guidelines. Listen from the heart and speak from the heart. Every night when every month when we finish our council, I turn to my husband and I'd say, I don't know what I would do without 11. And without them and support for my journey, as well as supporting others in their journey.
Brian Mueller: Would you like to speak the name of the man who passed away into the you know as a blessing and just a memory for him? I know he was a member of our community for a while.
Rich Horton: Donovan Vicha. He’s been a member of the Columbus Council since it was formed nine years ago. And he's very dear to me, and I - we are lighting a special candle tonight at council. And so with the blessings that we will be sharing, I bless Don in my heart right now. Because he's been so much a part of our journey together. I'm sorry, I don't get emotional. Sure, sure. But yeah, Donovan.
Brian Mueller: Brother, thank you deeply. I love you. I appreciate your honesty, your courage, and for you giving us a window into your MROP experience and beyond. Thank you, Rich.
Rich Horton: Oh, I'm very grateful to do it. Thank you, and love you too.
Brian Mueller: For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The Men's Rites of Passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve a Lumen has been the steward of this work. Preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work, I highly recommend reading “Adam's Return” by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, there are four opportunities in the United States and another in the United Kingdom in twenty-twenty six. The first is in Northern California, may thirteenth through the seventeenth the second in the United Kingdom, July twenty second through the twenty sixth. and in Illinois, August twelfth through the sixteenth. There's one on the East Coast, in New Jersey, September sixteenth through the twentieth and the final one of the year is in Texas, which is in MROP and Umbrales, our Spanish language rites, September thirtieth through October fourth. You can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash MROP or Illuman. org slash events. Additionally, mark your calendars for Awaken, the annual national gathering of Illuman, taking place November fifth through the eighth in New Mexico. You can find more at Illuman dot org slash awaken. Finally, a special thank you to our sponsor, Choosing Presence. If today's conversation moved you, I encourage you to bring more intentionality into your daily life. Download the Practicing Presence app for free at choosingpresence dot org slash app. It's a simple but profound way to stay connected to the journey we've discussed today. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.