Brian Mueller: 00:03 Welcome to Follow Me to the MROP, a podcast dedicated to the journey of the masculine soul and the transformative power of initiation. My name is Brian Mueller. I live in suburban Dayton, Ohio, and I made my rites at Pilgrim Park in Illinois in twenty fourteen. I'm your host, and in each episode of our show I'll sit down with one man who has made his rites, and I'll invite him to tell his story. This won't be an abstract explanation or a theological lecture, just a real conversation about what it was like to cross that threshold at the Rites and what changed afterward. Before we begin, a quick word of gratitude. This podcast is brought to you by choosing Presence. We believe that the greatest gift a man can give his community is his own presence. In a world of constant distraction, choosing presence provides the tools to help you stay grounded in the now. If you'd like an easy way to begin learning about the practice of presence, you can download the free Practicing Presence app at choosingpresence. org slash app. Now the Men's Rites of Passage, or MROP, is an experience designed to help men move from the first half of life into the second, shifting from a focus on ego and achievement to a life of meaning and soul. On this show, we just don't talk about the rites in theory, we talk to the men who have walked the path. Today we are joined by a man who has made his rites, and we're going to hear exactly what that journey looked like for him. My guest today is Gary Maher. Brother, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks for making the time and for being willing to share your story.
Gary Meagher: 01:31 Oh, no. Thank you, Brian. Thank you for asking me.
Brian Mueller: 01:33 Gary, tell us where you're from and how you spend your time these days. Oh, Lordy.
Gary Meagher: 01:39 I'm from Planet Earth, but my home is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am a proud Badger. I have lived most of my life here. Even though I spent time in New York City and Chicago. professionally and school-wise, but I've and spent most of my life in in the Madison and Milwaukee areas of Wisconsin. And I Have been lucky enough that for the past many years I'm retired. I'm retired. I spent wandering. After college, I was a I worked for a textbook publisher. I thought I was going to be a rare book dealer, and I went to school for that and worked in the trade for five years. I realized there's no way to support a family. I found a company that was very nurturing and foresighted and it was in the printing industry, which I knew nothing about, but they said, well, we'll take you on and we'll train you. 26 years later, I retired. It was a good ride. It was a very good ride.
Brian Mueller: 02:42 Now, let's dive in and talk about the men's rites of passage. The MROP is a unique experience. It's not a retreat or a workshop, it's an initiation. Many men arrive at the rites at a crossroads in their lives, looking for something they can't quite name. Before we dive into the why and the how, let's start at the very beginning. When and where did you make your rites?
Gary Meagher: 02:58 When and where? Okay, well, now I'm really aging myself or dating myself. It was 2008. So that's coming on 18 years ago. It was in Illinois. Was watching the Center for Action Contemplation's calendar and saw that there was going to be what was called the men's rites of passage in Illinois at a place called Pilgrim Park. And I had been stalking my wife and I had been stalking Richard Rohr for many years, and I was aware of his wild man. Work that he had been doing, and also that he had been going and created this thing called the men's rites of passage. So I thought, well, you know, I think I'm ready. I was 55 at the time. Hitting that point where you become a little more reflective, or the past is speeding away from you, and the future looks kind of dark or hazy. So I thought, I'm going to do it. I'm going to do it. So I went to Pilgrim Park, signed up, and the weaver was Richard Rohr, and the ritual elder was Steven Pika. Who was the director at the CAC at the time? And I distinctly remember. This may be your next question, Brian. So I don't want to jump all over this, but I distinctly remember driving to it. It felt like I was almost on a dream. crossing the flat plains of Illinois and then getting into the river valleys of north central Illinois where Pilgrim Park is and descending from these cornfields down into this valley of Illinois. A cradle or a womb or a grave, whatever you want to call it, but down to Pilgrim Park. And there was a man standing there welcoming me. It was Bill McElroy. I went and parked my car. There was another man named Bob Colreesi, welcoming people in and giving everyone a hug. Both of those guys to this day are two of my closest friends. So it was a good beginning.
Brian Mueller: 04:59 A very good beginning. In general terms, how would you describe that weekend for yourself?
Gary Meagher: 05:07 It was a blur. That's about as general as I could get. It was definitely a blur. I had read a couple of the books. I don't know if Adam's Return was put out at that time. But I had read from Wild Man to Wise Man and some of Richard's early books, Why Be Catholic? and so on. So I had a general idea of the path that I was hoping the Wrights would go on. I thought, okay, I'm going to bring some books and read them when I'm in nature Until I realize, no, books are locked up. This is not about going somewhere else. This is about going inward. So, yeah, I think I'm straying from your question here, but how would I describe that week? It was. It went by very fast and very slowly. When you're in liminal time, traditional time takes on a whole different dimension. I felt like I was suspended. I think it was a look back, sort of suspended between here and there.
Brian Mueller: 06:07 Now, without sharing anything you consider confidential, tell us about some of the elements of the rites that stood out for you.
Gary Meagher: 06:13 Well, they were I think the rites in in particular were had a certain amount of shock value to me, which is probably what I exactly what I needed. To take me out of my thinking head, my thinking frame. They were visceral. I kept trying to retreat into an intellectual Perceptive mode, and the rites would not allow me to do that, which is exactly what they're meant to be. So, my I guess reaction to the rites were that was sort of yeah, just felt like I was floating or suspended.
Brian Mueller: 06:56 Was there one particular event or ritual or interaction even that you had that really stands out to you in reflection?
Gary Meagher: 07:03 Well, there are many. The story I tell over and over again that really doesn't reveal what the rites are about is the first day after arriving, after spending a night in the cabin. I was at breakfast and there was a seat open next to me, and Richard Rohr came over and sat down. And he said, Hi, I'm Richard. I am Gary. And so on. And so how did you sleep last night? And I said, being sort of a wise acre, I thought, okay, well, I said, I slept about as well as you could expect, considering I was on a one-inch mattress, it was on top of a plywood board. Surrounded by seven men who were snoring. And he leaned in and he said, That's exactly the point. And I thought, Oh, damn. I flunked the test. But what he's telling me is that this is limited space. This is not meant to be easy. This is not meant to be a retreat. This is meant to be a journey. So that still sticks out with me. I tell that story many to anyone who will stop and listen. But there are many, many other Images from those five days that stick with me, but I think that that was a good opener.
Brian Mueller: 08:12 Well, you mentioned earlier that You and your wife were knew about Richard for a while and were familiarizing yourself with his work and following the CAC, and you learned about the Men’s Rites of Passage. But can you talk a little bit about the circumstances in your life? What was going on at that time that kind of led to your participation or just happened to be coincidental with your participation?
Gary Meagher: 08:33 Sure, sure. No, it's as I said, I was fifty-five. And at that time, the CAC, which was running the rites, kind of said, if you're 55 or older, maybe this maybe you're too old. I thought, oh, man, have I missed this? And unfortunately, that's been re-revised and re rethought through. But I was at that point, my kids were in college. The mortgage was getting paid off. I was living comfortably, but I knew I hungered for a deeper dive. I hungered for a deeper dive. I like to. kind of equate our journey and did especially the rites and the work that Illuman does is jumping into the deep end of the pool where you have nothing underneath you. I also like it. Maybe using the image of a pearl diver. You go down into the unknown, you find these clams, and you look for the pearl. You look for that great connection, that great connection in the deep end. So I think that's what I was searching for. I was searching for something greater, something that would make me that would help my journey. I understood that I was on a journey. I understood that if I did not take a few steps, My journey might take me in a different direction. So that was pretty much my state of mind at the time. I was ready. I was definitely ready. And I was open, but what I got Who knows? It still reverberates.
Brian Mueller: 10:08 I hear you saying that you were maybe hoping for some personal and spiritual growth at the Rites. Was there anything that you feared in attending the Rites?
Gary Meagher: 10:17 Well, You go into something like this and my makeup on the Enneagram. I'm a five. I'm an oldest child of Four boys. You know, vulnerability is not something we like to do or show very well. So I was not comfortable or prepared necessarily for the amount of vulnerability that was required. During these rites. So, yeah, that was a big thing. I'm not certain if I'm answering your question or going in a different direction here, Brian. That's kind of my mind. As I look back on myself 18 years ago, I think that was a big part of it.
Brian Mueller: 11:01 Now, as you got in your, so the rites ended, it's a big event. It lasts parts of five days. But you there does come there is a moment when you're able to pack up and drive away. You're heading back to Milwaukee. How did you feel immediately after the rites?
Gary Meagher: 11:17 I felt very calm. I felt very calm. I was grateful for my three and a half hour drive back because it just felt like, okay, I need this time. Again, I feel like I had not come back down to Earth. I almost felt like I was floating. I knew it was going to take me. I didn't know what hit me. I don't, you know, at that time, I did not know what hit me. I still don't. You know, it's the rites provide doorways into mystery. And then there was certainly a lot of that. I returned to work the next day, which might have been a mistake. But I felt like I was skipping upstairs. And everyone I saw was saying, Oh, it's a good day, good day for great things. And they start scratching their heads, like, okay, give me some of that drug urine. But it was a high. There was definitely a high that, like all highs, does not last. You know, there comes a point where, okay, you know, gravity takes over and you come back and you need to sort of say, What hit me? What happened here? So my initial period afterwards summed up like that.
Brian Mueller: 12:37 So this is broadening that a little bit, but what has changed in your life since making the rites, practically, relationally, spiritually?
Gary Meagher: 12:45 Well I'll tell you a couple things here. I found the right Open doors. They presented doors and they opened doors to me. Doors that I continue to walk through. Doors that I'm perhaps not reluctant to walk through. Doors into liminal space that are limital space that that lead maybe in different directions, all pointing you into my who am I? To the question of understanding myself, understanding my relationship. With our Creator, with our Creator's Earth, with our relationships. So I would say that. In the long run, the pathways that have been opened up probably would not have been as clear to me As they became. A case in point. In college, I was an English major. I just hopped around from history to psychology. I thought, okay, English is what really speaks to me. A classic English major degree is Chaucer, Shakespeare and Milton, and maybe American literature and stuff like that. Well, I experienced Ecstatic poets. I experienced a metaphor that were not introduced to me through the sort of the classic education system. And those are those are points and those are paths that I continue to follow, especially in poetry, especially and the arts and seeing the world. The man who was the who I mentioned was the ritual elder, Steven Piccha. I distinctly remember him standing up at the end of the rites. And I don't think I'm giving anything away here to men who have yet to experience it. But he said: as you go back into your life, there are three things you must embrace. You must embrace the natural world, become comfortable with it, do not be a stranger to it. You must embrace contemplative practice or practices. Be they centering prayer, be they chanting, be they dancing, be they any of the branches on the tree of contemplative practices. And thirdly, you really should find a community of men, like-minded men. So those are three things that I boy, I still clear as a bell can hear that being said, and there still are sort of North Stars that I continue to follow. I came back, I another guy, another man who had been through the rites at the same time with me, we looked at each other and said, Well, let's start a men's group And we got a list of men in our area, sent out an email, gathered, and 17 years later we're still gathering. We're still meeting. We're still talking. I also joined a centering prayer group, a centering lectio group. Seventeen years later, they're still nourishing. My journey and the nature part I just can't sue. Can't get enough of. So those are some of the things that Of the signs that I keep following in my life.
Brian Mueller: 15:53 So before you went to the rites, did you have conversations with people about attending the rites? And what were those like?
Gary Meagher: 16:00 None. Of all my long answers, that's easily the shortest. I wasn't really certain what I was getting into. The descriptions were vague, purposely so. They were sort of mysterious. Just said, you know, be open. Be open. So I really didn't speak to any of the men who were planning it, or even I had not connected with any man who had been on it. I just came with a lot of trust.
Brian Mueller: 16:31 But afterwards, did you have conversations with people? You said you went back to work the next day. Oh, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, no, no, that's actually just the extension. I want to see if things have flipped one way or the other.
Gary Meagher: 16:43 Well, oh yes. Yes. Yeah, the conversation stone. Interestingly enough, I think I mentioned a couple of men I met. During my entry to the Pilgrim Park area, I would say there are at least a half dozen men who also attended the rites when I did. And there were over 80 men on there from all over the world. But at least At least a good half dozen, maybe double that, who I still consider very good friends, who I still walk shoulder to shoulder with on our journey. Processing the rites afterwards was a challenge, and I think it's becoming easier now. I think we have created pathways and tools to help you help men connect and process it. But at that time, it was like the instruction was on the 30th of the month, reach out to the other brothers who were in your small group. And we did that for about two months. It was all email. It wasn't very satisfying. We all kind of dropped it or drifted away. But other conversations continue to evolve. I love that. Poem by Rilke, where he says, I live my life in ever-widening circles, and I can continue to travel in those ever-widening circles that Really started with the rites. Or I don't know if they no, I shouldn't say that. They were enhanced by the rites. I think my life has always been hopefully moving. outward in circles, but I mean I was turbocharged by the rites.
Brian Mueller: 18:12 Now have you fully realized the impact of the rites on your life? Or is that an ongoing journey? Are you still having new revelations?
Gary Meagher: 18:21 Oh, yeah. No, it's the journey is outward and it's inward. The inward journey is one of reflection and discernment, and the outward journey is connection, I think, and both those directions. They still resonate. There's a case in point. There's a Japanese adage that I love that says there are three things are to be feared And hate it. You might have heard this: earthquakes, fires, and fathers. Well, I don't have a problem with my father. You know, my father and I get along really well. You know, this is, you know, what's up with that? But I saw a lot of men who did, who really struggled with wounds. The wounds of neglect, the wounds, wounds of expectation, and so on. And I came to understand and appreciate more my relationship with what I have had. With my father. It continued to open up and it became a path of appreciation, of understanding him. And where he was, the journey that he had been on, and my journey, and how we had come to that point. My parents were very young when I was born. They were 22. Which now seems almost should be illegal. But I was born nine months later, and I realized, I've come to realize, you know, I was probably. Raised as an experiment. Neither of my parents really knew how to raise kids. As I said, I'm the oldest of four. But I've come to really appreciate their challenges and where they were coming from. And my father passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 93. But the last, after my mother died six years earlier, I was his primary companion. He lived 90 miles away, but I would be helping to take care of him. get his finances in order, getting his apartment shut down and stuff like that. But we really walked a path of equals, which was I hope that I would have had that experience without the riots, but I'm not certain that I would have.
Brian Mueller: 20:27 You know, I know you not only as a man, that is. Participated in the rites of passage, but now also is actively involved in offering men's rites of passage and supporting that journey for other men. So, how has that experience changed your understanding of masculinity, initiation, and even the male purpose in life?
Gary Meagher: 20:44 Oh, brother. That's a loaded question. As I said, I participated in the first men's rites of passage that Illinois put on in 2008. I was blessed to be asked back two years later to help out with that team. And I've been a member of the men's rites Team ever since, every year, except for the year that you did it, Brian. I was an observer there. I wasn't part of the team. But each year I'm very grateful for the opportunity to help and participate in and create the container for men who are there. But also, It helps deepen my appreciation of what the rites have meant to me. And it's brought more clarity. I think most men Who go through the rites. And the rites are not for everyone. I've met men who came away saying, yeah, okay, I can check that off my bucket list. It was interesting, but not earth-moving. But other managers say it's transformative. They can look at the time before and after. And as I continue to help out and participate in my chapters offering the rites, it grows. It grows and it grows and grows. And at this point, if I may put in a plug for those who are in who feel that way, if you've been to the rites, most likely you come away going, What hit me? You know, what happened? And thus Illuman has created an initiator program to allow men to come back and experience that five-day journey from a different perspective. And if I had not had that opportunity by working on that, I think I would be much different right now.
Brian Mueller: 22:36 I'm glad you mentioned the initiator program. In other conversations, the elder rites has come up, but to date nothing, none of us have talked about the initiator program. Let me invite you to say a little bit more about that, specifically because you and I are going to be working with initiators this summer at Pilgrim Park when the Illinois Rites happens in August.
Gary Meagher: 22:54 Right, right, right, right. Well, it is a program that has been evolving and developed, and it is an invitation for men who have Participated in the men's rites of passage to return, and it is a parallel program. I need to stress that. It's a parallel program. You're not Doing the same thing that the men who are going through the rites for their first time. But you have your own circle. You have your own leaders. In this case, Brian, it'll be you and me. You have Your own prompts, rituals, and opportunity for deep sharing. At the same time, you are asked to be a witness. To open your arms and hold the container for those men who are there. You know, you may be asked to haul some lumber, some wood, some firewood. You may be asked to set something up to help clean up afterwards. But overall, it's an opportunity to be in that sacred space for That those five limital days.
Brian Mueller: 24:04 You know, that's terrific. I told you at the outset that I don't like to insert too much of my experience into these conversations. I really want to. At my guests' experiences to shine forth, but I also want to prove that you're not chatting with an AI, Gary, and tell you that I don't know if this is a common experience, but the Wrights were such a transformative and powerful experience for me. As I left the Wrights, my first instinct was, wow, I survived that. I'm never coming back. And the two years later, I was back as an initiator. And it speaks to me to the power of that experience to even draw you back, even when it was, for me, on some level, overwhelming. But that experience as initiator was so powerful, informative in my ongoing relationship and entering into the community and has informed my own ongoing commitment to support the rites. So I'm excited about joining you there for this initiator program. But also, even as men who've been there before, you're always a little tentative.
Gary Meagher: 25:07 I found The word haunting keeps coming up when I think about my rites. They kind of haunt you, not in a bad way, but in a good way. You yearn to return to that place. This is a real sidetrack, but a couple of years ago I had the opportunity, the privilege to walk the Comino de Santiago in Spain. It was an experience that when I finished my walk, it was 38 days, I met people from all over the world. But I got home and it was, I felt empty because I wasn't there again. It was haunting. It just sort of was like one of those top-level experiences that you yearn. To go back and experience over again. Some of the people I've met along the way in Spain have returned. It's the same refrain. You know, what was that? You know, how it was, how can I process that? And I would put the men's rites of passage right there. Right there with that type of experience. There are very few in our lives. There are very few in our lives like that.
Brian Mueller: 26:23 I just have one more question for you, Gary. And that's what counsel or advice would you offer to a man who's now discerning whether or not to participate in the rites?
Gary Meagher: 26:31 Well, I become a men's rites of passage junkie, I think, because I've been so helped out with so many of them. So I would say open Your heart, open your gut, get out of your mind if the call is there. Answer it. Answer it. And talk to other men. Talk to other men who might have done it, who might be able to respect and might be able to give advice. But I would say listen to your heart. Blessed your heart.
Brian Mueller: 27:07 Brother, thank you, really. I love you, and I appreciate your honesty, your courage, and thank you for giving us a window into your MROP experience.
Gary Meagher: 27:15 No, thank you, Brian. It's been a privilege.
Brian Mueller: 27:17 For those listening who are now feeling a tug in their own soul and are curious to learn more, allow me to share a bit about the history of these rites. The Men's Rites of Passage was originally developed by Father Richard Rohr, and was first offered at Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, in nineteen ninety six. While it was supported for many years by the Center for Action and Contemplation, since twenty twelve a Lumen has been the steward of this work. Preserving and adapting the rites for men all over the world. To learn more about the history and the theology behind this work I highly recommend reading Adam's RETURN. by Richard Rohr. If you are ready to make your rites, there are four opportunities in the United States and another in the United Kingdom in twenty-twenty six. The first is in Northern California, may thirteenth through the seventeenth the second in the United Kingdom, July twenty second through the twenty sixth. and in Illinois, August twelfth through the sixteenth. There's one on the East Coast, in New Jersey, September sixteenth through the twentieth and the final one of the year is in Texas, which is in MROP and Umbrales, our Spanish language rites, September thirtieth through October fourth. You can find details and registration information at Illuman dot org slash MROP or Illuman dot org slash events. Additionally, mark your calendars for Awaken, the annual national gathering of Illuman, taking place November fifth through the eighth in New Mexico. You can find more at illuman dot org slash awaken. Finally, a special thank you to our sponsor, Choosing Presents. If today's conversation moved you, I encourage you to bring more intentionality into your daily life. Download the Practicing Presence app for free at choosingpresence dot org slash app. It's a simple but profound way to stay connected to the journey we've discussed today. Thank you for listening to follow me to the MROP. Until next time, brothers, stay present.