Winnie: I'll just eat a slice of bread.
Khilli: With popcorn too?
Winnie: No, just plain bread.
Khilli: With popcorn. But bring the popcorn.
Winnie: Okay, bring the popcorn. You have the
Khilli: popcorn? Yeah.
Winnie: Welcome to Fear of Stairs, Desi Films Decoded, the podcast where four friends from different backgrounds unlock the world of Desi Cinema. I'm Winnie, the Desi who's never been to India.
Khilli: Hey, I'm Kili. I'm from India.
Nicky: I'm Nikki, and sometimes I'm very disappointed when a piece of media has no boobs. I'm Nikki.
Adam: I agree with that. I'm Adam. I'm American. And today I kind of feel sorry for Nikki for navigating the story. When I was watching this, I was trying to figure out how you were going to be able to do this.
Nicky: Yeah, this movie was just... It's a movie. It's a movie. It's a...
Winnie: erotic thriller that
Nicky: takes place in bangkok of
Winnie: all places
Nicky: not that that's important in any way let's be honest
Adam: yeah so killie what what is this movie why'd you pick it oh
Khilli: yeah so this film is murder it came out on uh 2004 came out in 2004 and So this was like, so when we were going through feberty phase, this was kind of a talk of the town in everywhere. And that was the kind of era where Bollywood was... doing a lot of erotic film for the big screen. In a way, this film was very controversial when it came out. I think that the IMDb rating and the Rotten Tomatoes rating kind of reflects the... Because I've seen like way worse film from Bollywood.
Speaker 5: And they have
Khilli: better IMDb rating or Rotten Tomatoes
Winnie: rating. We are from
Khilli: that era.
Winnie: So this came out in 2004 and you said that movies around that time were already starting to portray intimate scenes, make out scenes. Was that so or was this kind of like a breakthrough in the sense that it was the first mainstream Bollywood film that explored so much creativity? sexuality.
Khilli: There were films before. This producer guy, Mahesh Bhatt, he was known for making those kind of films even in the 90s. But there were like one or two. And then it became a different genre. It didn't normalize... having like so much of intimate scene on screen in Bollywood films because Bollywood films still stayed in its like behind the closed door version like you know
Speaker 5: cleaned
Khilli: and like sanitized version of every human relationship with
Winnie: it's interesting because at 2004 I think like Bollywood's dominated by like current Johar films, Shah Rukh Khan, Kal Ho Na Ho came out the same year
Speaker 5: and
Winnie: so I see we have like a lot of these like traditional very family oriented Bollywood films and then this is kind of like opening up a whole different genre where it became more of a cult classic
Khilli: hit Bollywood has always been a place of contradiction, I guess. There are different kind of films always stick together which portraying totally different values and stuff like that.
Adam: Were women into this movie at all?
Khilli: Yeah, I didn't have many women
Adam: friends back then. I just want to expose the truth, that's all. Who talked to me about
Khilli: sex stuff, though, yeah.
Adam: 2004, so again, the iPhone came out in 2006, so no one had a smartphone yet. And
Speaker 5: so I
Adam: do think this is as erotic as you'll get
Speaker 5: right before
Adam: all of a sudden everyone has a porn machine in their pocket.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Adam: About 10 years after this, you just see porn when you're 10 on your phone all day. So I think it is an interesting time capsule of what the erotic scene is.
Nicky: was like
Adam: right until everyone was exposed to hardcore right away.
Nicky: I just want to say that you all say it's erotic. I don't think it's erotic at all.
Speaker 5: I think it's mild. But let's be
Nicky: honest, okay? I just want to say that in 2001, in Thailand, we had a movie, a period drama, called Chandaraa. It was super erotic. More erotic than whatever is showing in 2004.
Speaker 5: So
Nicky: when you say that murder is an erotic film, I was expecting that kind of level of eroticness. Where there's nudity and some sensual ice play.
Winnie: Yeah, Nikki was very disappointed that there was not even a single boob, a single tit that
Adam: was shown. Yeah, I was
Khilli: really disappointed.
Adam: No nipple play, no feet. Nothing.
Khilli: Was that film like a mainstream film or an arthouse? It was a mainstream film. Was there nudity?
Nicky: There was nudity.
Khilli: A blue?
Nicky: Full on nudity. Male too? I think the man was wearing a jockstrap. I don't think you can really see it.
Khilli: So in India, like whatever nudity we saw, like before that, whatever came out was a part of like, you know, kind of an arthouse-y kind of films and stuff like that. Like we watched All We Imagine and Slight, like that kind of scenes or even if it's love scene or something like that, it's kind of an artsy scenes and then... Like, have this kind of cheesy story, like a mainstream Bollywood film with songs and stuff like that. It was one of the first ones. I mean, there had been before, but so many scenes, no.
Winnie: Yeah, so it seems like the early 2000s was a horny period of time for everyone because this movie is actually based on the 2001 Hollywood film, Unfaithful. With Richard Gere. And that is a movie based on a French film from like the 1960s. Also called Unfaithful, I believe. Is it the same story? I haven't seen
Adam: any of the previous films. I
Khilli: said it's the same. So it's almost the same. But the focus on the husband is more kind of. And then it ends where he kills them.
Winnie: So the husband... Oh, well, we're getting into the plot and the spoilers already.
Adam: Oh, I'm sure we're getting to it, yeah.
Winnie: Yeah, Nikki, take it away. So you
Nicky: have Malika Sherwatt as our leading lady who gets no respect from anyone in the movie. That's not funny.
Speaker 5: Anyways. It was the best part.
Nicky: She plays this lonely housewife who... She has a husband and a kid, a son. and i guess her husband who's like a workaholic moves to bangkok thailand and you know because she's such a housewife uh she feels quite lonely and with her needs unmet which i gotta add like if you know as an indian woman in thailand i think you can find friends let's be honest
Adam: Well, that's what... Wait, so you're saying she should have just been cheating on her husband
Winnie: the whole time? No,
Adam: I mean, she can have a social life. But
Winnie: her husband is also portrayed as this man who is so emotionally unavailable, cold, stoic, doesn't even want to converse with her. So kind of like you can see why the loneliness is such an important... point of the movie plot that like drives her to do all these things that she does later on
Khilli: I think also the Bangkok plays a role for her being isolated I mean so they didn't dwell in the fact that there is a Indian community here already like you know who lives there for a long time and stuff like that. But I think they just wanted to show that she's in a foreign land where she cannot make friends easily. But also, this kind of talks about this kind of toxic family value of this kind of families, like this rich, upper caste
Speaker 5: Indian families
Khilli: that the wives is not supporting. to go out that often
Speaker 5: oh yeah i can see that even
Khilli: if you are in a moreover if you're in a foreign land you're just supposed to so she she says that you know as one somewhere in the film i remember that she says like oh this is my boundary like i cannot go beyond
Winnie: that she has a part-time job right right i don't see any elements of like her being trapped and not being allowed to do things i think she is very much responsible for they have a son together kabir and, well, not really her son, but she's very much responsible for taking care of him, picking up from school, and her husband doesn't really help her much with that. And even
Speaker 5: though they live in this
Winnie: lavish villa, somehow she doesn't have any help, like a nanny or anything. So it seems like her whole life revolves around the family and the son, basically. Well,
Adam: let's talk, too. So what's the family situation?
Nicky: Why is
Winnie: it
Adam: not her son?
Nicky: Yeah, so later in the movie, we find out that... her husband actually was married to her sister, Sonia.
Adam: Everyone in this movie has a name that starts with S. So it's very confusing for us and you, the listener. So the leading
Nicky: lady is named Simran, which is also coincidentally a common Thai-Indian name, in my opinion.
Winnie: Common Punjabi name.
Nicky: So apparently, like... I'm a little hazy on the backstory, but she sent her sister off somewhere, and then she never returned. And so she took responsibility for their child. Well,
Winnie: I think it's given that she bought her sister a plane ticket, and I assume there was an accident or something, right? So her sister is dead, basically. I think
Speaker 5: the plane crashed.
Winnie: Right. They didn't really get into it, but you kind of tell that her sister is dead. The sister is actually one of the 9-11 hydrogers.
Nicky: So then she apparently... Okay, I was going to say steal, but assumes the wife role of the family. Which I want to ask, Winnie, is that something you want to do? Like save your
Winnie: sister? Absolutely, right? Self-sacrificing, that's what makes a woman nice.
Speaker 5: It's
Winnie: the epitome of a good woman. I have a question about
Adam: this, Kili. If a woman... has a boyfriend and then her sister dies and leaves her kid and her husband. Does the woman have to leave her boyfriend for this husband? I'm not a woman.
Winnie: You don't have to do anything. There's no codified rules. It's just how much responsibility and obligation you feel as a woman to... put the betterment of a child ahead of you.
Adam: But the child doesn't need her to fuck the husband to take care of him. But
Winnie: if you want a nuclear family, which most Indian families would strive towards, then you would want to preserve the family unit as such.
Nicky: Preserving the family unit is a big theme in this movie. Exactly. It's a very huge
Adam: theme. So the reason, Winnie, I said, the politics, I think, are actually like, all right, is they give... every leniency to this woman. Like, I feel like if this was an American film, it would be like, this bitch. What
Winnie: are you talking about? You kind of see how her actions lead to such horrible consequences, like near imprisonment, murder. But they excuse her completely.
Adam: Even the officer is like, I don't blame you at all. Like, and the husband's like, you're right. It's my fault. Her
Winnie: husband beats her at one point. I feel like this movie, you see two sides. You see her, her desire. She's driving towards that. But you definitely see the consequences and how she's punished for it. But they
Adam: make the guys look bad.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Adam: The movie is saying
Speaker 5: this woman
Adam: is like kind of faultless and these guys
Speaker 5: are all bad
Adam: and she is fine. And like her desires are like valid. And like because of the situation she was in, like it's very forgiving of her. I
Winnie: think because the guy that she ended up having an affair with was so extreme in his actions and it led to like, you know, like stalking and murder. Now it kind of almost is a warning sign to women. Like, hey, you know, even if you're lonely, if your husband's not emotionally available, this is what could happen if you go and pursue something that is more fiery and passionate. It's going to blow up in this way. So I think it serves as a warning sign of it's not worth it.
Nicky: You have a scene where her like, Work colleague warns her of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Nicky: That
Adam: work colleague is so funny. She's like, I'm a veteran cheater. And let me tell you why I don't think this is a good idea.
Khilli: I think it's a cautionary tale, but not vilifying her for, like, going, having sex with someone who is not her husband. Like, she's not... vilified for that but he's like oh poor woman don't do that please it's it's it's it's gonna get worse kind of cautionary tale and
Winnie: i think the plot of like that being her sister's kid and her entering this marriage more as a self-sacrificing thing than out of love kind of helps vilify her less you know like it takes away some of the onus on her actions of
Speaker 5: she's already doing
Winnie: she's already sacrificing so like she's just trying to find a bit of happiness now You see her in less of a nasty wife
Khilli: mode,
Winnie: right? And more of just a woman who's trying to have it all, who's trying to be a good mother, but still wants to be happy and doesn't want to subscribe to a lonely, emotionally cold husband, which is fair.
Nicky: All that being said, the movie begins with her being chased through the business district, Chong Loon Si.
Speaker 5: Chong Loon Si, yes. That's where me and Winnie...
Nicky: our work is you i used to work
Speaker 5: there but
Nicky: you get to see like do
Speaker 5: sitani in
Nicky: its uh original glory which i thought was very interesting anyway that doesn't matter she's being chased through by a bunch of thai policemen whose whose chief is a an indian man like i'm gonna have to say it man it's no way possible it's like It's like a Thai man saying that Wakanda can't be real.
Winnie: I was just kidding. I disagree on this. He's Thai Indian. I think it's interesting that they portrayed this man as a Thai Indian character.
Nicky: Yeah, but let's be honest. When was the last time you've seen a police chief?
Winnie: I think we have Thai Indian governor now. So like Thai Indians are just entering politics, but definitely not on the police level.
Adam: This does the same thing as Dostana where like they live in Indian world in another country.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Adam: Like they only interact with other Indians. Like the police is for some reason Indian and like, They live in that bubble.
Winnie: But you know this actor who plays the police chief, he's just an Indian man, Indian actor, right? But in the movie, they portray him as Sikh, as Namdari specifically. So he's wearing the white, what do you call it? Patka. I don't know what the term is. It's kind of like white Patka turban. So he's portrayed as a Namdari because that is very much prominent in the Thai Indian community out here. There's all Sikhs, there's Namdari. So I think they tried to make it a little bit more feasible in that way.
Khilli: Yeah, that Indian world thing, like in a foreign land, it's getting really less day by day as subtitling is like more prevalent and more accessible to people. But back in the day, I think we were discussing during, what was that? Dostana right That is It's mostly because Like they don't want to include Like other languages Apart from Hindi At all In the film Like
Speaker 5: There are
Khilli: like few dialogues here Like when he's Explaining something To the police chief At the end That he says in English But otherwise like yeah So keep all Every dialogue in Hindi Yeah You have to bring Like Indian characters here
Adam: Yeah
Khilli: I think that's the reason.
Adam: Yeah, they all live in Bangkok, but there's really no reason. They don't use the setting or anything.
Speaker 5: It could have
Adam: been in India. Yeah,
Nicky: so she's chased by a bunch of policemen and then they just bring her into interrogation because she's been accused of murder and the title.
Speaker 5: Dun, dun, dun.
Nicky: And, you know, I guess the whole, the part of the whole movie is told in, like 90% of the movie is told in through flashbacks.
Adam: False flashbacks. False
Nicky: flashbacks. Like, we get to see from her point of, from, from Simran's point of view, so yeah she has husband son and then one day on during a rainy day she just happens to meet this man like there's like you get to see this magical connection and i'll be i'll also say that street is not bangkok i am like 90 sure it's patia
Speaker 5: where the where
Nicky: where so like this man that she meets it's sunny and at first we're not so clear who it is like it's just they just have this like magical connection and the first thing he says like do you want to come up to my place
Adam: i was so blown away i was like there's no way she says yes this is crazy they meet like on the street in front of a car he's like standing there in the rain staring at her the car is like honking because he won't get the fuck out of the way and he's like blocking traffic and then he's like hey it's raining come to my room and she's like no and then she goes and i'm Who the fuck is this person?
Nicky: Yeah, like she just goes up to his room and it's like a very like creepy, dingy ass hallway. And then like she goes inside and like he asked her to like go change and everything. Yeah. And then one of the things that gets really confusing from the start is like she was she was asking him questions like how long have you been here and or whatever. And then in the first of many instances in this movie, he just yells at her like, why don't you just ask me how long I've been in jail? And it's like, you know, I don't really know what that was. At first, I was a little taken aback. Like, why is this stranger like berating her for something that she should have known or something? But then we find out that this guy was like her ex-boyfriend. So it's like Sunny is her ex-boyfriend in college, I'm assuming. And apparently in the past, he was like beating people up because they were assaulting her. And he was like, I don't like it when people are touching you. And then before like the police take him away, he was saying like, oh, I love you. But she never says I love you back. So yeah, he ends up in jail. He's like a
Adam: creepy incel in college. He's very controlling. Are they going out? They are going out.
Khilli: They have like, yeah. He's not incel. He's just like a positive. He's talking a lot actually. Yeah,
Adam: my bad. Yeah. He's just very jealous. Some guy assaults her. He protects her. beats her too much
Khilli: he was in the cell
Winnie: an incel in the cell
Nicky: so yeah they reconnect and then you know you get this hint that there's a spark going on and she goes back home and then we learn that her husband's a jerkwad he's like this guy who never pays attention she was telling him she's met an old friend and he didn't give a shit he has to look for some stupid ass file
Adam: or whatever goddamn folder i need the content
Nicky: folder and then like he was like um he calls her her name by mistake he calls her sonia instead of simran and it's not at first to us it's not it's unclear why what that name means but that's the name of her sister as we've
Adam: mentioned and
Nicky: yeah you get to see the the whole their whole relationship problems right
Adam: and then and one important part we also find sonny is in bangkok to DJ
Winnie: At a club called Moonlight Moonlight! I
Nicky: was like, I don't remember I remember a club
Adam: called Moonlight He says this is the club where I compose my songs
Speaker 5: So
Adam: we're supposed to believe he like makes songs and then plays them But he does stay in the nicest apartment I've ever seen
Speaker 5: Like the
Adam: building's dingy but he's like in a two level loft and
Speaker 5: stuff For
Adam: this club no one's ever heard of and like they brought him all the way from India
Winnie: Also, what's interesting is that he said he was out of jail a year and a half
Adam: ago,
Winnie: right? And he didn't contact Simran. Not a year and a half ago.
Adam: He was only in jail for a year and a half. So, like,
Winnie: that's why
Speaker 5: it's
Adam: even weirder. He wasn't even there for God for that long, and she should have known he was out. But she just... you know, after her sister brings down the trade center, she marries the husband. And then, you know, really quickly, I guess.
Khilli: I think that happens to the college romance. Like, after you graduate from there, you don't, like, keep in touch or
Adam: something like that. The guy that, like, your ex-boyfriend that went to jail, for being, For trying to protect you, you think you know when he would come out or something?
Khilli: Yeah, that's the only scene that this Simran committed. Not keeping in touch with her estranged wife. Keep in touch with your exes that go to jail.
Winnie: Yes. And then go to their apartments after bumping into them.
Khilli: Instantly.
Winnie: and
Adam: we can all agree he went to Bangkok for her right
Winnie: I feel like he was living there he didn't reach out they just bumped into each other
Adam: which also questions
Winnie: how obsessed he is actually about her it seems to just start when they meet again
Speaker 5: I feel
Adam: like he specifically moved to Bangkok because he knew she was there no
Winnie: because he gave her the choice of coming into his apartment if she just turned around and didn't follow him the first day I don't think he would have kept pursuing her I don't plan that
Khilli: he knows her but but honestly like how long did he say that he was working in Bangkok a couple years
Adam: yeah so
Khilli: why didn't he like like make a move people he
Adam: was waiting on that street for her to
Khilli: come for years
Adam: he was just Standing there in the rain for years until she finally saw her. Then he ran into her. His plan came in motion. It had to be in front of his apartment. Keeping
Khilli: extra warm clothes at home.
Adam: He had
Winnie: the
Nicky: script memorized. Do you want to come back up to my place?
Winnie: I'll just say
Nicky: nothing and stare at her.
Winnie: And he's a bit of a womanizer too, right? Simran is not the only woman in his life.
Nicky: That's a twist that
Winnie: we'll find out later.
Nicky: But yes, they... We know Simran's situation, so then she sparks up an affair with Sunny. You get these long extended scenes where they're just having fun. At one point, he rolls up in his motorcycle. I think it's Siam like suriyam area he rolls up on the footpath like a boss and then like she gets on and i think it's so funny in that scene because you see all these thai bystanders watching watching this indian man roll up i don't know i think that's pretty funny
Adam: it has the montage where they're like having sex in different places and they keep having sex outside so they'll like be on like a which is crazy because especially bangkok like if you go on a rooftop with
Speaker 5: just the sun
Adam: out like you will die Like that is so uncomfortable and so hot. But like, and they're like where all the air cons are stationed outside. So it's like double hot because it's all blowing on you. And they're like fucking out there in the hot daylight. They're having sex like one level above the cars on like a balcony with like no barrier. And if you're on like the BTS level, you can just see two
Khilli: people kind of hanging out. They want to smell their sweaty armpits.
Nicky: I was just saying they have a long scene
Adam: where they smell each other's sweaty armpits. They go to a, like, a Patea hotel for days, even though, like, she only sees him, like, when her kid's in school somehow. Yeah.
Nicky: They were up on, like, these water towers on the... on the roof of a building and it was so funny when i saw that scene i was reading the news just just just earlier this week and apparently a man went missing and they thought the police found him inside a water tower and all i could think about is that if they were making out what if there was a body there i don't know that's all
Adam: my goodness
Nicky: well it's dark that's when
Adam: dark
Speaker 5: you
Adam: guys see that type of matter about that woman that did that too remember like
Speaker 5: there's like
Nicky: the security
Adam: footage of her in the elevator
Nicky: she looks crazy
Adam: and then They found her in the water tank. No one could figure it out.
Nicky: It was like a cold case, right? Like no one figured
Speaker 5: it out. Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. That's a creepy story. It's super
Adam: creepy, but it turns out she just fell in it. But she has something like a psychotic break.
Khilli: Didn't in Hangover, also the guy was on the rooftop near the water tank or somewhere for the whole time. He woke up there on the rooftop. Yeah, for the whole time they were looking for him. Just to say,
Winnie: that's not too weird. Like in my high school, we lived next to a building that had a... rooftop that a lot of students went to after school to do stuff with their
Adam: you know their boyfriend and girlfriend sonny lives indoors you guys had to do that
Winnie: right
Adam: right he
Winnie: he was hot as
Adam: hell when he tell me from first-hand experience how bad was
Winnie: when you're when you're like a horny teenager it doesn't really matter right but that's like your only option it's like
Adam: p.e day and you're wearing your p.e. clothes and everyone's all smelly and stuff he
Khilli: wanted change of place change of seconds all the time i think
Winnie: it adds to the erotic element like voyeurism it's And then you're climbing all the
Adam: way to this balcony and you're drinking there and you have to climb all the way down naked and shit.
Nicky: So while
Adam: all
Nicky: those moments were portrayed as romantic, there are some scenes that I just can't help but feel like it's super rapey. Like the belly button scene. Well, no,
Adam: but that's not. He's just going down on her. And it's like the first time anyone's gone down on her and her belly
Nicky: is trembling. Well, he keeps saying no. And she was like, it's not
Adam: right, Sonny. It's not right. But her belly is like shaking. I've never seen anything like this. I've never seen a woman that excited by a guy just like being near her legs or something. something it's a really
Khilli: large belly when she says saying no it's her like the culture
Adam: tread carefully yeah
Khilli: yeah I mean we gradually find out that Sunny is indeed very rapey person
Nicky: mm
Khilli: after all but from the very
Winnie: beginning you see that he's not really respecting her boundaries because obviously she still has feelings she's attracted to him and she says no it's not right but he doesn't stop he just keeps going and then physically she gives in right so it's already a disrespect
Nicky: of boundaries from the get go
Adam: yeah but she comes back
Nicky: I just want to interject with some cultural thing from my experience. Like, in Thai series, right, they would always have this, like, relationship dynamic where the man would have his way with the woman, and the woman would be like... It's basically raping, but as they get into it, she falls for him. It's like a common Thai
Speaker 5: series
Nicky: plotline, I guess. I'm
Winnie: not sure if it's other cultures. They call it the slap and kiss phenomenon in Thailand.
Nicky: It's very popular. This moment right here reminded me of that. I
Khilli: think that has been a stereotype in Indian mainstream things as well. Where like, oh, so that's why this whole abusive rape case is also coming from. Because the culture also portraits like that, that women's know is... Not no, they're just pushing you because that's what they're supposed to do. But you have to find a way to get it done like
Speaker 5: that.
Khilli: And also like it puts an idea of a woman into man's head that like, okay, so women saying no means nothing. they want it but they're just shy
Speaker 5: to have
Adam: it so
Khilli: that's the stereotype and they're also playing in the stereotype
Adam: just to be fair like that's harrison ford's entire career as well it's in america too
Speaker 5: okay in
Adam: indiana jones and like in blade runner stuff he just like throws people like against the wall and makes out with them and then they like it
Speaker 5: like so it's not like
Adam: america was like great at this but um again she's not traumatized she loves it and comes back and i'm not like excusing him but i'm just saying like she does like sunny and likes having sex with
Speaker 5: him yeah she voluntarily
Adam: comes back all the time
Speaker 5: the
Khilli: films gives her a lot of agency in that sense it's all
Adam: her decisions like she decides to go in the apartment she makes all these calls to keep visiting him and that's good like you know it's because they're acknowledging that she likes sex which i think is cool actually
Nicky: but what's not cool is when
Winnie: by
Adam: the way Whitney do women like sex
Winnie: no no we
Adam: just yeah
Nicky: completely unpleasurable
Winnie: because men don't know how to yeah what's
Nicky: not cool though is that eventually her son has a fever and then she decides it's always these
Adam: bitch kids in these movies
Nicky: yeah I love
Adam: getting rid of the kids
Nicky: they're always sick
Adam: and ruining relationships
Nicky: as we all know we got they got she got to stay with the family stay for the kid right and then like you get this like moment where like Sunny calls her out and is like why aren't you here And then she said she has to be with her family. And then he like, I don't know how to say this, but like he like gaslights her into thinking like, it's always about your husband and your son. What about me? And he like punches like, there's a scene where he like punches like the windowpane and then like a part of the windowpane comes down and he punches it again. I don't know
Adam: if you remember that. That
Khilli: was, that was amazing.
Speaker 5: He also
Adam: said, he's like. why can't i see you at least once every
Winnie: 24 hours i'm like that's a lot and then he says i'm addicted to you he literally says
Adam: 24 hours is a really like that's a lot that
Winnie: was quite a pivotal scene though because you see her face just completely fall when she has the phone right when i think that's the realization that a lot of women have probably experienced at least once in their lifetimes
Speaker 5: when
Winnie: they realize with a complete nutcase they just yeah
Adam: Like, oh, this is too far.
Winnie: Yeah, yeah, because I think she knew Sunny was very, you know, but she probably didn't expect it to get to that level. And you see that realization dawn on her, and it's a very uncomfortable feeling. There's that
Adam: famous quote that men are afraid of women laughing at them and women are afraid of men killing them. Yeah, touche, touche. It sucks when you realize that every time...
Nicky: And so because she can't go out and meet Sunny, what does Sunny do? Fucking pretends to be a bystander and then walks into their home, tells her husband that, hey, you know, we're friends.
Khilli: He befriends the
Speaker 5: husband on the street and
Khilli: comes back home. And yeah, and then saying, oh, nice to meet you. Like, does that whole charade to Simran and... And
Nicky: it was very uncomfortable because he was looking for the toilet. So the husband was like, all right, Simran, can you just take him to the toilet? And then he fucking tries to eat her face.
Winnie: And it's like... Yeah, we get another rapey scene.
Adam: Yeah, he takes her down to the maid bathroom and then tries to make out with her...
Nicky: It's like a straight out of a Brazzers porn scene where like the unsuspecting cuck is like nearby and like they're
Adam: just about to do it. You know, he wanted to see them. He was disappointed when he came downstairs and they weren't making out. He wanted to catch them doing that. But
Winnie: that's when you see like her agency kind of breaking down a little bit because that's probably the
Speaker 5: first scene where
Winnie: she really doesn't want to. Her husband is right up there. And she's just trying to push him off, but she has to give in also halfway through.
Adam: I'm glad you
Nicky: realized that, Whitney, because at that very moment, I was like, this is not erotic. They told me it was going to be an erotic film, but instead it was like all rapey and everything. And I'm like, damn it. I had tissues ready, but I can't do it, man.
Winnie: Using tissues to wipe my
Nicky: tears instead now.
Adam: Just to be clear, it's worth the tears.
Speaker 5: Yeah,
Adam: you started getting angry. It's 90% rapey and 0% boobs. It's not erotic at all. One thing.
Nicky: You know, you get that scene where, like, Simran's best friend, like, warns her, like, you know, hey, you know, cheating leads down a path of, like, unhappiness and yada, yada, yada. She has
Adam: a co-worker that, like, cheats all the time, I guess, and has, like, deep experience cheating and is like, I know what you're doing. I've done it before. It's not worth it. Just get a vibrator.
Nicky: so while that was happening like her husband his name eludes me Sudhir yeah he hires a private investigator
Adam: he looks like a like a racist cartoon of what would be on like a pizza box he
Nicky: looks
Speaker 5: like a racist Italian stereotype
Adam: he looks like the like Luigi and Chuck E. Cheese with the big mustache he's like an Indian Italian man
Nicky: so yeah so So he hires faux Italian man to investigate on whether, you know, Simran is cheating. And then like you get this scene where like Simran has to drop her kid off at school. And while when she drops her kid off to school, like that's when Sunny comes in and then they have a moment together. And what I can only assume. Oh, yeah. He was like rubbing rubbing her leg with his like
Speaker 5: stinky
Nicky: ass sock. This is very disgusting, man. Anyway, he literally took Simran back to his place for, like, a sesh. And, like, in what has got to be, like, a bad parent of the year award, she realizes that, oh, shit, I gotta go pick up my kid at school.
Adam: They fuck, like, for, like, ten hours or
Nicky: something. Because
Adam: she drops him off, so then they're fucking until he's, like... three hours after school has passed yeah
Nicky: yeah and that's when she realized oh my god you know it's affecting my family you know my the consequences of she has this epiphany consequences of her actions lead to you know
Adam: because for a woman you have to choose orgasm or family you Indian women,
Khilli: yeah. For the detective, his photography skills are like impeccable. Like the photo he takes, like where he was rubbing her legs under the table, that photo was like so good. Like, I'm joking. It's sarcastic. It would be cool, by the way, if like you did like...
Adam: uh what's that pokemon snap but you're like detective pikachu trying to find pokemon cheating on each other like
Speaker 5: they hire you
Adam: as detective pikachu to like you know find if their spouse is cheating and stuff so like you just go around on the bows filming pokemon cheating on each other to send to them wearing
Nicky: stinky socks
Adam: yeah so
Nicky: anyway she realizes that you know i forgot to pick up my kid because i was too horny so she decides to like End things with Sunny. And then what did she find? As Winnie mentioned earlier, she sees that Sunny has a girlfriend. Like twist. It's weird. It was a little left field, but I guess it's trying to drive the point home that he's a fucking scumbag. Is it his wife? They say his girlfriend or
Adam: something. Yeah, it's his wife. Because he's like picking her up and carrying her around and stuff, and she knows everything about her. But I can't figure out if she lives with him or not.
Khilli: I don't think she lives with him, but, like, they have a relationship where he actually shared the story of, like, him screwing this other Simran. So, she knows that's why, but, like, she loves him. He is just using her for... something.
Winnie: Yeah, and she knows that he's obsessed with Simran.
Khilli: Yeah.
Winnie: So that's a very
Nicky: interesting movie.
Khilli: Yeah, very interesting dynamic.
Nicky: And so, like, when she finds that out, she realizes, oh, wow, you know, she called, like, Simran blames herself that she's a whore even though the subtitles say slut. Yeah. I don't know if you noticed that, but anyway And like, you know She wants to end with Sunny And then, what does Sunny do? He like, tries to have his way with her In the kitchen And it was like the most uncomfortable scene But then you get this like, moment where she grabs a knife And it is implied That she murders him
Khilli: That's what she said to the police
Nicky: investigator in
Khilli: her...
Speaker 5: Supposedly.
Nicky: But then I guess we have this like another big plot twist that the police chief calls her out for lying because what they heard is that her husband murdered Sunny. And then we get to see... I'm assuming this is an intermission part. But then we get to see that, yeah, Sudhir... Sudiya murdered him we learned that we get to see his point of view he basically knew he knew all along that Simran was cheating and then he was trying to go to Bombay to make sure that she had all the free time in the world to do whatever she wants and then the private investigator finds out and everything so we learn that she with the knife I'm assuming she brings out the knife but doesn't do anything
Adam: with it I think the knife is the fake part
Nicky: I just don't
Adam: think she ever touched the knife
Nicky: but then we see her like disposing of the knife I don't fucking know
Adam: the movie doesn't make that much sense it's not very
Speaker 5: clear
Nicky: but what is clear is that she leaves Sunny's place all shame in a shame and that's when Sudhir goes into Sunny's place and then they have like this confrontation and uh sunny in his most psychotic moment yet is like he taunts he taunts to dear about how like you know he fulfills all of simran's needs and points out that like you can you can smell his bed for her scent and in the most ultimate humiliation move he he He keeps her panties in this box and throws it at his face. Of course, that could break a man, right?
Adam: Well, no, yeah. So we watched this all together to rewind. It's implied that she gives him her panties every single time they're together. Or they're from
Khilli: the university.
Adam: No, no, no. He said she gives me her panties always.
Speaker 5: That's what the subtitles said. So he has
Adam: a box full of her... So every single time she fucks him, she's like, here's my panties. And I guess that's expensive, I would think, too,
Speaker 5: because that's
Adam: not cheap to buy new panties every single... Because women's panties are
Winnie: expensive. But maybe that's why he's living in such a nice apartment despite being only a DJ. Maybe he's selling these panties on eBay, racking
Speaker 5: up quite a
Winnie: bit of
Adam: fun. There's a huge trash bag full of them at this point. So, like, I wouldn't be surprised if, like, that is paying his
Nicky: rent. So, yeah, he out, he murdered. So, okay, it breaks a deer. And long story short, he murders him. And it's like, man, I keep, I, Kili, I gotta admit, like, these, these fight scenes, man. In, I don't know what's up with Bollywood or Indian cinema, but, like. Some of the choreography is just so
Speaker 5: bad. It's
Nicky: bad. Like the action. It's not convincing all the fun. And like Sudhir likes, there's this move that Sudhir likes to do that. We get to see like, he likes to punch, uh, sunny around the stomach.
Speaker 5: There's
Nicky: a lot. There's a lot of tummy shots. I don't know. Anyway. So the next thing, the next outrageous thing is that he wraps Sunny's body in a carpet. And then we get like this very hilarious scene where he drags the body out into the hallway and passes like a bunch of like bystanders who notices that the big roll of carpet he's dragging has left a shoe. they ask him is this your shoe and he's like no so they just put
Adam: the shoe imagine this the guy is dragging a carpet rolled up in the shape of a body and there's like feet sticking out and there's one shoe that's on the ground and they ask if it's his shoe and he's wearing both shoes as he's dragging this carpet
Nicky: and
Adam: So they're like, oh, I guess it's not your third shoe. Oh, well, they just put it
Nicky: there. And it doesn't stop there. He goes out onto the street and then drags the body on the street out in broad daylight. Throughout Bangkok.
Adam: He's just dragging a dead body through Bangkok.
Nicky: I'm assuming it's Pattaya. Maybe it's Norman Pattaya. I
Speaker 5: don't know.
Nicky: So he stops the body. He gets help. They come and help him lift up the dead body. Just another death. Some man fell off the building. So he stops the body in the trunk and then buries the body near their home. Near his home. Well, like a weird
Adam: park forest thing. Forest
Nicky: thing. I don't remember. I
Adam: broke that in my notes. Is this Lupini Park where he's
Nicky: throwing the body? You don't have a lot of big forested green space.
Adam: No. that's the Indian part they for sure like probably filmed that Indian like just
Nicky: so of course naturally that that gets the police sorry
Adam: it's in like the sand like the kid area like the sandbox he's like he just buries he like digs the hole in the sand and buries his body with all these kids there
Nicky: yeah That's where his file's missing. Oh, I found it. So that gets the police's attention. And then, like, you know, they confronted Simran. Simran notices that, okay, maybe my husband has committed murder. And then, like, we get this, like, moment of, like, confrontation between the two where he admits to Simran that, you know, I knew it all along. And then while that was happening, like... A fucking heavy loader, tractor, just crashes into their home. Wait, he slaps her.
Speaker 5: Yes, he missed the beating scene. The beating scene. He slaps her. And then says, I wish I killed you instead.
Khilli: Sunny was a rapey guy and her husband is an abusive piece of shit.
Winnie: So... and he slaps her multiple times
Adam: right like
Winnie: punches her right across the face
Adam: and keep saying i wish you were on
Winnie: united 91 instead
Adam: of my wife and that's
Winnie: when he also admits to her that he killed sunny but then in the way of saying yeah i killed him but i should have killed you instead that makes
Khilli: her fall in love with him right
Winnie: and then you see this
Speaker 5: scene where he's like sitting on the steps
Khilli: and he's angry
Speaker 5: and
Winnie: she goes to him and tries to like apologize like you can see that in this scene she is not upset at all about the fact that she just got slapped by her husband
Khilli: she's
Adam: honestly used to this
Winnie: right that's what
Khilli: happens if your first lover is an abusive piece of shit
Winnie: yeah the whole time you get
Khilli: it like as a like a no like that's normal
Nicky: yeah
Khilli: they
Winnie: go through these emotions where like you can see she's like yeah i deserve this i was not a good woman can you please forgive me and he still doesn't forgive her so apparently that's a very yeah
Nicky: yeah it's a very uh i mean this movie is making me uncomfortable i don't understand how you guys like this
Speaker 5: i'll explain later so the tractor bashes into their room there's
Nicky: a tractor that rams into their room drops the carpet without the body uh as a sign of like you know i know what you did last summer kind of thing
Adam: but like what a way to show that like why not just leave the carpet in the front door because then Whoever's driving that tractor then has to jump out and run away. Wouldn't they be like, who's that guy that just left the tractor? Just leave it and hide.
Nicky: It's a pretty wild series of events.
Adam: Also, that means they're driving the tractor through the city, right? So they go to the park, get the carpet out, and then they're just driving along Bangkok again with this body getting held by the tractor to go to this house.
Nicky: Yeah, so when that happened, what does Simran suggest? She suggests that her husband should leave the country. Yeah, that's the best solution right there. Just run.
Speaker 5: And just run.
Nicky: And I think it's kind of funny because the movie is made in 2004, right? They go to Don Muang Airport.
Speaker 5: Because
Nicky: one of whom never existed back then.
Speaker 5: Oh, wow. They have to
Nicky: fly to India. They're flying back to India in Donwood. That's a nice little piece
Speaker 5: of history
Nicky: for me. But instead of him going through with the plan, he catches wind that she was being chased by the cops. So that's when he decides to go back. And it goes back to the present day where he confesses that, hey, you know, he... he did the murder
Winnie: this whole act of her pushing him to go back to India with Kabir also kind of makes him fall in love with her a little bit you see this playing out in the background as all this is coming along where he's starting to realize that he feels like a stronger man with her by her side
Speaker 5: yeah and
Nicky: and then he actually did say like you know we get this like really nice touching moment like i guess where he like tells her it's not your fault
Speaker 5: i'm
Nicky: the one that caused it you know
Winnie: right being
Nicky: unattentive
Winnie: i never cared for your feelings so you see that so that's
Adam: why i
Winnie: like this movie it's very mature he
Khilli: always had reason to fall in love with her she was caring she was everything yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah But I never realized how come she fallen in love with that piece of shit guy.
Winnie: That's the biggest mystery. Yeah. I don't think she is in love with him necessarily. She's doing it out of duty, right? Like to
Khilli: be the mother. At the beginning, yes. But towards the end, like it's
Winnie: kind of shown that like,
Khilli: they are in love now and together. Well, of course,
Winnie: by the end of the movie, she'll fall in love with him because she just dealt with Sunny, right? Like, when you realize that that kind of man
Speaker 5: exists, yeah, you run back into the
Winnie: arms of the man who slaps you. At least he's not going to kill you and rape you. He's a nice guy in this scenario. Pick your poison,
Adam: ladies.
Khilli: I would have liked both of them to die. But anyway, yeah. If I
Adam: was him, even though she's hot and stuff, like, I would feel so weird fucking my dead wife's sister. No matter how hot or caring she is, I would not be into that.
Khilli: yeah uh
Nicky: and it would have ended there you know he admitted he goes to jail but no we need to have like a very bodywood twist that we're like hang on that doesn't explain where the body went
Adam: yeah wait a second actually we didn't solve shit because there's no body and
Nicky: then what did we find out he was Sonny was alive the whole time. I think this is the moment where it's like a jump the shark moment to me.
Adam: So go back in time. He's like faking dead the whole time. He's getting dragged around Bangkok when they're like asking about his shit. He's like listening to that. Yeah. He's just getting dragged around like alive. Why? Just get out. Yeah. Just run. Beat him up.
Nicky: They find this out because like they arrested like his girl, Sunny's girlfriend, right? And then she said that, oh, I saw him dragging the body, so I followed him. And then there's a moment where like Sudhir like walks away from the car in the parking lot. And then like, she just goes up to the trunk of his car and then it just opens.
Winnie: he's just like
Adam: chilling drinking tea
Winnie: there's a bloody hand sticking out
Nicky: and then Sonny was like we gotta keep up the charade because like blackmail him and he's gonna pay we're gonna get all the money and then we can live a happy life I
Winnie: don't know and Sonny's plan is also to get Sudhir into prison right make it
Nicky: look like
Adam: he killed
Winnie: Sonny so that Sonny could then be with Simran but
Adam: he's telling this girl like look if you take these photos and blackmail him then i will leave you so like this is all so i can be with this other girl she's like okay cool i can't wait to
Khilli: get broken up with infatuation
Adam: yeah it's
Nicky: like the second girl makes the plot a little kooky i guess sonny's
Adam: really good at sex is what the movie's trying to
Nicky: like
Speaker 5: convey to you like crazier
Nicky: these chicks
Adam: go crazy over his dick man like that's all they're i mean that's all understanding from this So,
Nicky: yeah, that's what happened. He's alive and he shows up at Simran's home. And again, he tries to get all murdery and rapey. And then we get this really thriller-esque scene where she's trying to run away from him in the rain. And then the police catches wind of it. Sudhir in jail hears of it. He fucking jumps out of the police station window. I don't know if you remember that. He jumps out like... And then runs away from the
Winnie: top. And police are like firing
Adam: shots at him and he's
Winnie: just running.
Nicky: None of the shots. He's like a
Adam: messed out Superman at this point,
Winnie: by the way. He did remind me of Clark Kent. He
Speaker 5: totally does. Yeah, checks
Winnie: out.
Nicky: So yeah, where are the, you know, and so this is like the finale, the climax. They're like end up in some sort of like... Hedge maze?
Adam: It does not exist in
Winnie: Bangkok. They're
Adam: running around and
Winnie: they're such
Adam: a fucking hedge maze that you'd find like a Halloween place. I've never seen this anywhere in
Speaker 5: Thailand.
Adam: And they're like just stuck in this maze.
Khilli: That's Sukumit, bro.
Nicky: It's the Sukumit hedge maze. Haven't you guys heard? Sorry, I'm late. I was stuck
Adam: in the hedge maze again. I
Nicky: couldn't
Adam: find my way out. The one that's in the middle of the sidewalk. I always get lost in there.
Nicky: And then, yeah, to make a long story short, they get stuck in this hedge maze. The three main characters, Sudhir and Sunny, gets into a fight. In the rain.
Adam: It's kind of like The Shining, actually. Yeah.
Nicky: Sudhir wins, and then, you know, he embraces Simran. Not before, like, Sunny comes back with a rake, and then that's when the police chief comes in and shoots him to death. death
Adam: like through the hedge maze through the hedge like
Speaker 5: somehow
Adam: he's like running around this maze and missing dead ends and then shoots him right in time yeah it's also really funny
Winnie: because we have this scene where Sonny like gets up and he sees the two of them hugging and he just turns around and walks away and they think that's the end they're like well this guy just tried to ruin our lives but now we can just keep hugging he's gone danger is gone There's no way he'll show up again with the rake. He
Adam: doesn't seem crazy.
Winnie: Yeah, right? He seems like a reasonable guy. He sees now we're in love. He'll leave us alone. He says
Adam: we're married, right?
Khilli: Firing three shots to a man who doesn't have a gun. It's like so unnecessarily overwhelming. Like, why are you shooting
Adam: like three? He had a hoe. Like, that's dangerous as shit.
Winnie: You mean when Sunny was gonna hit them with a rake and the police fight? Yeah, police fires
Khilli: like three fucking shots. Like
Winnie: when
Khilli: he's like falling down, like just fucking fire a shot with his hand or something. Like why are you killing people like left and right? Why are you killing the
Winnie: rapist police? Save the rapist. The
Khilli: police doesn't know what's happening. The police is killing himself.
Winnie: The police have enough context.
Khilli: You're killing someone. It's a proper investigation. Now you just have like... like details from two
Adam: people he's about
Winnie: to
Khilli: he's about to
Winnie: kill
Khilli: like the couple
Winnie: rake
Khilli: is i mean they're in between of a fighting like you see people fighting and then someone is attacking someone is of course you have to de-escalate the situation you shot you shoot his hand his leg or anything i mean He shoot like three times to make sure he's dead. Like, you could have shot like one shot anyway. He's like falling down. Okay, done. No. Like two more shots to make sure
Adam: he's dead. But if they shot him in the foot, he'd still hold on to that rake, which can kill so many
Speaker 5: people.
Winnie: Yeah, yeah. But also, I think it's okay. It's okay that he died
Adam: in the
Khilli: end, right? Weapon of mass destruction.
Winnie: They know the story. She's explained that, you know, she's explained the rapes and everything as well. And he has a criminal offense. So he's also...
Adam: And he's a DJ. Right,
Winnie: right. Yeah. So worthy of.
Adam: So
Speaker 5: like nobody gives a fuck.
Winnie: Like Moonlight will find another DJ. It'll be fine.
Adam: Nobody
Speaker 5: cares.
Adam: Yeah, that's the end of the movie. He really wants that DJ gig at Moonlight. The police officer really wants it. Sonny was his competition. Now at the end credits you see like the police officers DJing at Moonlight. He's super happy.
Winnie: that was a plot that's the plot
Nicky: yeah that's it that was the end they they drive home very silently like the end of a horror movie like they just survived an ordeal and that's uh that's murder for you um oh before
Winnie: that the police congratulates Sudhir and Simran on being able to sustain their marriage and discovering this newfound love and wishes them a good happy life together
Nicky: I rolled my
Winnie: eyes when
Adam: he said that I'm
Winnie: like
Nicky: oh my god dude the
Adam: police is like yeah like hey you guys love each other like your marriage said you really can't leave this like you're bound so just enjoy your new marriage just don't worry about it no trauma
Speaker 5: like
Adam: they really like send them off like again the movie is very forgiving to her they don't paint her in any bad light they totally forgive her and then the guy kind of redeems himself and he admits his mistakes and like tries to put more effort into the
Speaker 5: relationship
Adam: he's not like expecting her to like love him without him doing anything
Winnie: right
Adam: right you know and yeah she has a lot of agency and and the police officer you know says hey you're okay too you know like we don't care and you know that's a pretty solid message if you're gonna cheat that's the way to do it yeah
Nicky: you cheat to
Adam: make your marriage stronger That
Winnie: is a takeaway message.
Adam: It helped
Winnie: them find love. When you excite your marriage
Adam: with cheating and intrigue and near death by rake, it just brings you guys closer together. It's a big kink thing. Jesus.
Nicky: yeah yeah so and then I find out that like Murder is actually part of like a trilogy of films
Speaker 5: there's a second
Nicky: Murder with the same actor but
Speaker 5: he plays
Nicky: a different character I don't know anything do you know any about that Kiwi?
Khilli: I know they have come up with Murder 2 and Murder 3 or something and
Nicky: stuff like
Khilli: that but I've never watched them I think maybe murder 2, like, Sunny is, like, leaves the game or something. Oh, I think it's a totally different
Winnie: story. It is the
Khilli: common theme of
Winnie: it, I guess. And I think he didn't come back for murder 3, but they're apparently making murder 4 now, and he's going to return for that. Ooh! I think Sunny
Khilli: should return.
Winnie: Like, the three bullets are
Khilli: not enough. Like, fuck, fuck, fuck, this... Policies, guns, and everything. Why? Why he has to die? He wants that DJ
Adam: spot back. He's going to kill the police officer to get back that moonlight gig. That sweet moonlight gig.
Khilli: He could afford such a big house. Murder 2 and 3 is all about everyone just
Adam: trying to get this moonlight gig. Should we do the fear of stairs scale? Yes. Okay, so the staircase moment, I don't know about you guys, mine was when the guy rams the wall on his motorcycle in that song, if you guys remember.
Nicky: It was just a romp, like someone crashed in that musical number and then they look back and then it just cuts to another scene and they never talk about it. So
Adam: they're doing like a montage about them being together, Sonny and... Fuck. Simran.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Adam: Sonny and Simran. And they're like, this was them during college, right? And they're
Speaker 5: living like a fast
Adam: and furious lifestyle.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Like you got a motorcycle
Adam: and they're doing all these races together and they're doing this one race with this other guy. And it ends like when they... approach a wall with a very narrow hall and only Sonny goes through and the other guy just slams into the wall and dies instantly and they just kind of move on
Khilli: but I like like so the guy was like showing some wheelie and like motorcycle stunt and Simran was like cheering for him so that irritated, sunny that like, Simon is cheering for another guy. So he becomes jealous and starts to like, ram his motorcycle. And then somehow there is no conversation. The guy, the guy who was doing that, they know the drill. Like, this means like this race that ends with the hallway, like with one door and one person dies. He just instantly goes into the race mode. And then like, okay, this is the thing that they have been doing.
Adam: Like someone always dies in one of these races. It's definitely.
Khilli: it was psycho if not someone always dies someone definitely sometimes dies
Winnie: and I guess another big fear of stairs moment is when Sunny comes back to life right
Speaker 5: because we all think
Winnie: he's dead that is
Speaker 5: my fear of stairs moment when
Nicky: we realize he's alive it's like a very Bollywood-esque twist for me
Winnie: and I really didn't see that coming because at that point it felt like there was enough plot like
Nicky: it had already
Winnie: peaked and it was about to like come down and all of a sudden it's like whoop another peak another plot twist
Nicky: I did feel like Sudhir going to jail would have been like an ending
Winnie: yeah exactly i
Khilli: think that's where the french film ends as far as far i i read the synopsis of the uh unfaithful wife uh synopsis floor synopsis yeah that's where the film ends where sudir goes to jail and that's then the volume starts
Winnie: it makes sense right because it kind of makes sense and everything like flows well up till then and then you see like a bit of like Bollywood craziness coming in like that masala twist that doesn't really add make sense it's like confusing.
Adam: When that happened I like pause the movie like what time is it like I thought the movie was done I'm like why is there an hour more of this shit?
Winnie: So basically when I try to add some originality that's when things go haywire. They're like uh coming back from the dead I
Adam: guess like where do we take it from there? Yeah that makes a lot of sense okay yeah the coming back from the dead thing is the Indian thing.
Khilli: yeah that's just like like you take and i like a french food and put some garam masala on top
Adam: of it to make it indian so
Winnie: i would say give it like a four out of five for that
Adam: there's a couple shocking moments that
Nicky: i genuinely
Adam: didn't see coming uh
Nicky: dance floor clause i mean it does serve the plot in a way right you get to see moments where like you know, Sunny and, and Simran's relationship blossoms. And there was even like this really cool, I don't know how to explain it. Like salsa music. I don't know what it's like. It's like, it's like they, it's like when Simran and Sudhir attend this like business dinner. And then they have like this really nice tango dance.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It's a tango type thing. It's a tango type
Nicky: thing. I thought that was kind of cool. and there's a lot of tension between like you know jealousy and and and being unfaithful i don't know i think it does serve the plot you guys said the songs were super popular right
Winnie: yes yes this album was one
Khilli: of the highest selling
Winnie: of the year well
Khilli: kill you the kaho na kaho song the first song that where they show the romance of sunny and simran in the university time That's kind of taken from an Arabic song. Like it has the Arabic part in it. That's my most favorite song in this. And that became really popular. And then there was another one, Bhege Hort There, like when they're like again rejuvenating their romance in Bangkok, like where they're like having sex all over the place.
Adam: Yeah, that song got also popular. I don't get, I did not like the music at all in this movie. I thought it was so boring.
Khilli: Yeah.
Nicky: It was kind of catchy. Yeah,
Adam: I liked
Nicky: it.
Khilli: Our scale was for dance numbers. To be honest, there is not much dance
Speaker 5: number. Only where Sunny grinds
Khilli: against Simran while leaving his DJ desk. During the DJing, he leaves his DJ console, goes on the dance floor and starts grinding on his girlfriend. I think that's how DJ does it.
Adam: The
Speaker 5: tractor shakes
Adam: a little bit when it drops the
Speaker 5: body.
Adam: That's like a robot dance, I guess.
Winnie: But yeah, there's not too much dancing. I think the music kind of drives the plot forward. You see snippets of their relationship and... rendezvous adventures but yeah
Adam: family feud factor well absolutely this whole
Winnie: movie is pretty much a domestic issue right it's
Adam: very weird incestuous stuff going on
Winnie: yeah
Adam: like you're sleeping with your sister's husband and taking care of your sister's kid and then sleeping with your college boyfriend who went to jail and for killing a guy
Winnie: but i do like that this movie kind of explores family dynamics in a very like nuclear individual family sense you don't have the in-laws
Khilli: and the relatives and
Winnie: the parents that comes with so many bollywood films
Khilli: i think that's where the like bangkok comes into
Winnie: right they had
Speaker 5: to get out of india yeah i
Khilli: mean even in different city of india wouldn't fail far enough it's
Adam: actually really interesting so like if they're gonna take the french story they're like we cannot do this in india because there'd too many in-laws to deal with. So they would have to change the story too much. So they just have to literally move out
Speaker 5: of India so they
Adam: can
Khilli: do that story
Speaker 5: and have
Adam: it make sense to anyone.
Khilli: Yeah, adaptation. Now, this is
Adam: actually, this is kind of the first time I think we'll ever go to Nikki for this, but regional heat check. Well, how did they, did they get a... The region of Bangkok or Indians in Bangkok? Actually, sorry. I don't know. Yeah, you too. Sorry. What's the regional heat check? Just if they got Bangkok right.
Nicky: Well, I mean, I was going to say that there was, we did mention it a little bit, but they were like, oh, I have to go to meet a friend within the city, within the next shot is like a beach. Yeah. I'm definitely 80-90% sure that where Sunny was living that's a paria walking street that has to be it's not accurate but again I don't think anything of that really matters
Adam: maybe? They do the same weird geography stuff in The Hangover too.
Nicky: Yeah. Like where
Adam: they go from like one tower to like a boat you know which isn't really possible. But at
Winnie: least they depicted Bangkok as a normal city. It looks like you know what real Bangkok does. There's no yellow filter like there was in Hangover. They're not going to the slum areas
Speaker 5: intentionally to
Winnie: show like the poverty sides of Bangkok. It's a balanced you see the sky trains the really nice skyline he has from his office like
Nicky: yeah the bts
Speaker 5: train you see
Nicky: the taxi with the taxi
Speaker 5: yeah
Nicky: like
Adam: an erotic thriller they don't show any of like the things thailand is known for like erotic wise like
Winnie: they don't show walking street
Adam: or soy cowboy or anything
Winnie: like yeah yeah so that's why it doesn't serve like a direct implication the plot line i think it's just to show that they're away from india like kill you said when i first
Adam: like heard that it was like an erotic thriller set in bangkok i was like oh that makes sense like they need to be in thailand because it's like sexier and there's like more nudity no you don't see any like
Speaker 5: thai girls there's
Adam: no nudity they literally just did to get rid of the family
Speaker 5: yeah and they don't use any
Adam: of like the thai like
Speaker 5: sexual stuff
Nicky: And then another thing that I found funny was that the private investigator called Sudhir to meet up with him. And he said that let's meet at Kings Park Street.
Speaker 5: What's Kings Park
Nicky: Street? What is that? That's an Indian name for
Speaker 5: sure.
Nicky: That is not in Bangkok. I even Googled it. Is it something in 2004 that kind of like gets phased out? by now and I was like no there is no such thing
Winnie: no they're just like Thailand has a royal family or we'll call it King's Park Street
Nicky: King's Park Street
Khilli: where were they sitting they were sitting somewhere near the palace palace area right they
Nicky: were like he was like Sunny was like driving the motorbike and then you see like a shot of the palace
Winnie: oh yeah right it
Khilli: was not the private investigator yeah they do show
Winnie: quite a bit of scenes in Bangkok they show democracy monument as well and a couple rooftops they're on right right Danmung
Adam: Danmung airport one uh what's the moral of the movie cheating is bad no like cheating helps saving marriage that's that's what i think it was yeah was that like actually setting up elaborate role-playing games makes you closer with your partner
Winnie: well yeah i'd say the takeaway is just you know be mindful of the men you go with sometimes it seems fun on the surface and like if you're bored in life yeah like that's a tempting shiny new thing but it comes to consequences so You know, the moment you see a red flag. If you see a red flag,
Speaker 5: turn around. Are there
Winnie: any red flags that
Adam: you noticed in Sunny, Winnie, that would kind of make you, you know... I
Winnie: think this was a timely watch. So thank you, Kili, for suggesting this film.
Adam: I have
Winnie: applied it to my personal life. And... yeah hopefully I'll be better off women
Khilli: should watch it obsessive would be the right word
Winnie: like not passionate
Khilli: no
Winnie: at first it seems passionate and then you realize it's a very thin line between passionate and obsessive
Adam: right so like walk that
Winnie: carefully I
Adam: think if anyone's obsessed with you after barely talking to you that's pretty big red flag in this movie. I'm not talking about anything else.
Winnie: But
Adam: yes. Alright. Yeah. I guess that's it. Yeah? Yep. I love this movie. I mean like I'll say that. Sorry. This is my final reason I really like this movie is because when you tell me like we're going to watch like an Indian erotic thriller set in Bangkok, I'm really expecting shit. And like the IMDb score was really low. I was like whatever. But like honestly like and maybe because it's based off other movies but it is well written like the story is constructed well and there is like compared to movies now like i i did think the the the structure and the story and the writing was good and yeah like i do like that they don't she's not like a whore in this like they don't treat her like that
Speaker 5: and so
Adam: I was like this is like a 10 out of 10 for me compared to like my scale of what I was expecting
Speaker 5: which was
Adam: just a very misogynistic kind of like shitty thing this was a pretty good kind of pulp pulpy detective fiction
Nicky: I liked it Yeah, when you put it that way, I understand it. But I was disappointed there were no boobs.
Adam: Right. I mean, if there were boobs and it was a really horrible, misogynic story, I mean, yeah, I would have loved it more. But it wasn't. So take what you can get. Yeah.
Winnie: No, I think it's a very interesting movie. Like, it made me feel uncomfortable, to be honest. But I enjoyed it. It was an easy watch. I think you guys are like... I'm not happy about the fact that she's not really held accountable for cheating. But I do think that is quite progressive for Bollywood at the time
Speaker 5: as well. Because
Winnie: usually women don't really do much wrong. But they're still painted in such a negative light anyway. So it's nice that she was able to kind of have this infidelity. But she was not shamed upon. It was not the main point of the movie. It was also... there was enough context actions from the guys to kind of
Speaker 5: take the
Winnie: weight off of that alone so people don't just vilify her but also understand the context and I think that is that is probably progressive for that time and they it still is now
Nicky: right I really liked it when the guy when her husband was gonna go to jail and he told her it's not her fault
Winnie: right right and then you see a big redemption arc character growth there It's a very
Nicky: good scene. I love it. But still, no boobs. So zero out of ten.
Winnie: Bye. Bye-bye.