Adam: Do you know Kirk Cameron? He was like a Christian actor. He was in Growing Pains and stuff. He used the banana as an example of why God's real. Because the banana is
Winnie: perfectly held
Adam: in the hand and it peels off. And how could... obviously God exists because how would this banana be so perfect otherwise?
Winnie: That's what she said.
Adam: Well, yeah, but also like, okay, coconuts, pineapples, all the other fruit, and that banana we made, that's not like a real banana.
Winnie: It's handheld. Yeah, when you think about it, it's perfectly handheld.
Adam: Because we made it genetically like that. It's us,
Khilli: not God.
Winnie: I think influence came from humankind. That's why it suits humankind. That's why it's
Khilli: true that human exists.
Winnie: God doesn't.
Khilli: God didn't
Winnie: make banana.
Khilli: We
Adam: made beer. Whoever made banana
Khilli: is God. God made mangoes though. But
Adam: it's not that easy to eat. But
Winnie: maybe God made bananas as like a way to practice things. Thank you. Welcome to Fair of Stairs, Desi Films Decoded, the podcast where four friends from different backgrounds unlock the world of Desi cinema. I'm Winnie, the Desi who's never been to India.
Khilli: Hey, I'm Kili. I'm from India, yes, and I love films.
Nicky: My name is Nikki, and I'm not good at pretending to be someone I'm not.
Adam: I'm Adam and I'm from America and this week I learned that India made the most progressive gay film I've ever seen in my life
Winnie: that's a stretch from this time period probably like the only gay film as well this was probably one of the first mainstream gay films
Adam: in India?
Khilli: yes
Adam: I've never seen a movie avoid so many landmines and just like I
Khilli: mean come on like I was watching like drift swiftly through it
Winnie: yeah the execution was beautiful
Khilli: it was like
Adam: mission like Tom Cruise avoiding lasers of all the things
Khilli: that could like
Adam: cancel this movie and they avoided it
Khilli: and then like stayed real kind of relevant for like still today I think it would not be looked down upon much like
Winnie: people cannot
Khilli: find like fault lines much apart from
Winnie: a few
Khilli: but like barely
Winnie: anything so any guesses on what this movie is
Adam: If you've read the title, you're right.
Nicky: Vicky,
Adam: what is it?
Nicky: It's the Stana. It's apparently a very influential movie when it comes to talking about homosexuality. uh it's 2008 film
Adam: this movie is softcore porn as well
Winnie: oh not really uh i felt pretty turned on like is it because supriyanka chopra no all
Adam: of them
Nicky: everyone like
Adam: john
Winnie: abraham is super hot that is true um
Adam: Yeah, the woman.
Winnie: Priyanka Chopra.
Adam: I mean,
Winnie: Priyanka Chopra Jonas now. Oh, yeah. Oh, that's her. Okay, cool.
Adam: Got it. Yeah, she's gorgeous. But no, there's like a ton of revealing clothes. They're in America. They're in Florida.
Winnie: So I think they have more of an excuse to
Adam: show off skin and stuff. And they do. And it's just all glamour shots. It's like, yeah, pretty. Softcore porn for guys and girls.
Nicky: Yeah. In this movie, it stars people we've already seen in past episodes. We have Abhishek Bakchan as Sam, who's a nurse. And then the other guy is John Abraham, the hottest man alive.
Winnie: For sure. Agreed. The hottest man alive.
Nicky: As some fashion photographer in his rock hard abs. Yeah. And then we have Priyanka Chopra, who's.
Winnie: come on no enthusiasm look at that
Nicky: wow I turned gay for like two hours
Winnie: watching this movie
Adam: same I like looked into John Abraham's
Khilli: life and career afterwards I was like this guy huge gay propaganda film
Adam: it's the same cast as Doom it has Abishak and John Abraham But it has the same exact problem as Doom where you don't understand why Abhishek is in the film. He offers nothing. He brings nothing. And next to John Abraham, you're like, well, okay, obviously, there's no love triangle. Obviously, he's better looking. He's cooler. He's funnier. He's a better actor. uh abhishek can abby suck my dick
Winnie: oh wow you heard that
Adam: right here john abraham forever
Nicky: i
Winnie: think abhishek was like the starring though like i think the movie like it was his role and abraham joined after and He definitely had, like, the star. I feel like it was very much the movie was trying to push him as a leading role. And John Abraham as, like, supporting actor. Which is, I think, what happened in Doom also. But just because of, like, presence alone, John Abraham takes up a lot more. You know, like, some of
Adam: the... I think Doom was John Abraham's first role. And so that's why he was, like, second built. But now, in this... Yeah, come on.
Khilli: I think story-wise, both has equal weightage, equal screen time. No, like Abishak was nominated
Winnie: for the best actor. It was not John Abraham for this movie. Okay. Yeah.
Adam: But realistically, looking at this scenario, Abishak, who plays a nurse and nothing wrong with that.
Winnie: Wait, wait, can we talk about why? Maybe that's too soon, but why is he a nurse? Yeah.
Nicky: to give sponge baths to women. Exactly.
Winnie: Exactly. That was literally his rationale.
Nicky: It was like a porn parody waiting to happen. Yeah, I
Winnie: just
Adam: sponge bath hot babes all day. I
Winnie: don't do that to
Adam: the elderly at all. I don't wipe old people's assholes. I just sponge bath really hot women
Khilli: all day. I think that that encourages him so much. He can do the other things.
Adam: Like. Like cleaning
Khilli: the ass all over other people. But
Adam: that's so weird to get into nursing. Because you can like.
Winnie: Right. Because in the scene it's like an old man in the hospital bed. Asking why he didn't just suddenly become a doctor. It's just a few more years. and then you see like a hot lady show up and be like nurse I'm ready for my bath it's completely out of a
Adam: porno doctors don't see that normally just nurses get the hot hot action
Winnie: it's a gay archetype that they're going for right he's a nurse Oh, man. Look at my bias showing. Is that gay people occupation? No, based on social conditioning and gendered profession.
Khilli: Nursing is gendered. So people... It's like... Doctor, like when you say doctor, people would say he without
Adam: knowing.
Winnie: And
Adam: then
Khilli: for nurse, it would be she without knowing. Breaking that down,
Adam: but step by step. But even the movie didn't make fun of him too much.
Khilli: No,
Adam: which was nice. They're like, no, it's cool. He's a pervert.
Winnie: He's fine
Khilli: as a nurse. And you're
Winnie: like, okay.
Adam: Yeah. The movie didn't make fun of nurses.
Winnie: And it didn't stretch
Adam: that too much. But the
Winnie: love triangle also was not that strong. Because Priyanka Chopra had another love interest the whole time. Played by Bobby Deol. I remember reading an article about this movie. And the person, the blogger, was just like... This movie tried to convince me that Bobby Deol is... hot and it's not working
Nicky: yeah
Winnie: it wasn't working for me i didn't
Nicky: buy that it gave me he gave me dumb that energy i'll get into
Adam: that it's like him
Winnie: with priyanka really it didn't it
Adam: didn't match up and it's your boss and
Winnie: he's being weird
Adam: and
Winnie: nothing and you have john abraham right there
Adam: like really
Khilli: yeah really priyanka is not going for like hotness only But
Winnie: he doesn't have much
Adam: personality
Winnie: either. We can get
Adam: into it later. But
Winnie: again,
Adam: John Abraham's right there.
Winnie: Right. Argument over.
Adam: Anyways, yeah. We promise we're going to try to keep the length of the episodes a little shorter because the one feedback you like to hear for a podcast is talk less. So we've heard you loud and clear. We're going to try to make it so it fits your gym exercise. Okay. All right. Thank you. So Nikki, what's the setup of this movie?
Nicky: It's set in Miami of all places. And you have these like two bachelors who are just like sleeping around with women. One's a nurse. One's a fashion photographer as we've already established. And they're like apartment hunting. and they basically pair up to go look for this apartment, and then they manage to find one available apartment, but then they learn that the conditions to live there is that there's no men allowed, and Priyanka Chopra's character is living in there. So they have this funny little idea that they would be like, hey, why don't we just be gay and call ourselves a couple? and see how it works.
Adam: I also want to mention, because she'll come up later, the anti-character.
Nicky: The anti-character, yes. She was the one that was the liaison for the apartment, I guess. She has this very... I don't know the right word, like, narrow-minded view. I mean, we'll get that a lot. We get that a lot in this movie with, like, the elderly characters, like the mom and the auntie. They have, like, this view of how gays should be like or, like, how people should. you know society roles i don't know i don't know where i'm going
Khilli: like the stereotyping gay people i think they were like very very older conservative stereotyping of gay people like how they would do and then like kind of a condescending way of looking at them yeah that that that auntie auntie was doing that yeah a lot but
Adam: the movie is the most mean to auntie
Khilli: like yeah the
Adam: movie hates that character the most
Winnie: and they like
Adam: constantly make fun of her and they look down on her for being
Winnie: kind of bigoted and conservative
Adam: and stuff and and she's the she's the uh
Winnie: part of the joke
Adam: she's the but the joke instead of the gay people
Winnie: it's her for being kind of
Nicky: like old
Adam: and bigoted which is good yeah
Nicky: yeah there were there were a lot of things like you know they kept imagining fantasizing her there were like a few fantasy themes where like she's like dressed as Marilyn Monroe at one point
Winnie: oh my gosh yeah or
Nicky: like she was she and her like party girls they like touched Abhishek's character all over the place
Khilli: like
Adam: Yeah, she's a horrible,
Nicky: assaulting person.
Khilli: Even though to do that with the mother, like her part, like her sensible part is when she's sensible and then her, like when she's like hating the idea that her son is gay. she's caricatured a lot
Winnie: like
Khilli: her all the actions are
Winnie: caricatured but I think her character played like a very big part of the movie in showing that kind of progressive elements of acceptance from a parent because by the end of the film she accepts her son as gay
Adam: and loves him no matter what
Winnie: and
Adam: Yeah, the mom does a big
Winnie: character
Adam: arc. Right, right. It comes around. And
Winnie: she's like the mom in every... I don't know if you guys have started recognizing her by now, but she's the mom in
Nicky: almost all.
Winnie: She's like the mother of Bollywood, it feels like.
Nicky: I picked that up when she starts laughing in. think about your mother and her old age or whatever
Winnie: ptsc triggered all the times you've seen her slapping other yeah you were always like
Khilli: the first thing like she was saying like you were always always like that since your dad father died and it's like my father died when i was two years
Winnie: old i think it
Khilli: was harder to write a father character to come around maybe yeah
Winnie: maybe
Khilli: like needed needed
Winnie: more scene to pour
Khilli: her character and
Winnie: maybe it would have like caused more backlash they're like one step at a time let's let the mother accept it for
Khilli: this then
Winnie: that is a whole another battle that's how it happens
Khilli: in Indian Housel many times like first you have to like convince you most of the time I'm not
Winnie: saying all the time
Khilli: but the You have to convince your mother first.
Winnie: Most probably
Khilli: she would understand first. And then it goes to the father. And I've met quite a few Indian men who are progressive, liberal to some degree.
Winnie: But then when it comes to gay, they'll be like, Yeah, it's okay. I'm fine with people being gay. But I wouldn't want my son to be gay. And I think that's still a very common belief to hold. I've heard very deep.
Nicky: Yeah. So I think one of the things that the film spares no time in trying to show us is that Our two men are pretty hot. Like in the
Winnie: first opening
Nicky: scene, they have like raw, hard abs. They dress very stylishly. I'll just use the word stylishly. You know, they drive like fast cars. A lot of women are all over them.
Adam: You make big money as a nurse and a photographer.
Winnie: Yeah.
Adam: If you got it, flaunt it.
Khilli: How much would a nurse make in Miami?
Winnie: It's actually, well, I'd say
Khilli: $40,000,
Winnie: $50,000 $50,000 a year at least.
Khilli: So he's spending
Adam: half his money on rent. Yeah, $50
Khilli: ,000 I thought like
Winnie: maybe
Nicky: $50,000.
Adam: he's being very irresponsible with his money.
Winnie: Photographer is probably less paid. Way less.
Adam: So they get the apartment and they live in separate rooms. Yeah.
Winnie: Before I get there,
Nicky: I just want to point out how they got the idea to be gay. Oh,
Winnie: yeah. They went down
Nicky: to get hot dogs.
Winnie: Of course, hot dogs. The person
Nicky: next to them was like, a really a really stereotypical homosexual soldier
Adam: yeah that was so weird that it's a soldier it was
Nicky: so weird like to me i just broke out laughing the moment he popped in like he was he was like crying and talking and it's like weird and like stereotypical like inflection and he talked about how like oh my boyfriend got sent off to iraq and we we had a good life in afghanistan i
Adam: don't i don't know that was weird to me it was so weird that he's in the american military because they famously don't like gay people
Nicky: don't ask don't tell right yeah like they
Adam: just told you to hide it they wouldn't have been able to be in like an open relationship at the time i don't know why and it's miami miami like it's all gay people doing any other job. Be a hairstylist, dog walker.
Winnie: It's like if you want to feel like you're in Miami, here's a vet for you just to remind you that you're in America. No,
Khilli: but I think... Wait, there is no gay people in the army? There is
Adam: tons.
Winnie: But
Adam: at the time, they weren't allowed to talk about it.
Khilli: Oh. That's a video. But he's a veteran, is it? Or he's still in the... Was he in uniform? Even still,
Winnie: there's
Adam: no stereotype of gay military people at the time, you know?
Winnie: Like, it's
Adam: just... It's weird.
Winnie: But this movie's progressive for these things. Super progressive.
Adam: And they see the hot dogs and they're like, Hey, we have dicks that look like that. Why don't we pretend to suck each other's... Like, the hot dog we're about to eat.
Winnie: yep and that's exactly what they did and they lived happily ever after
Adam: this is so much better
Nicky: yeah they managed to convince the auntie right and then like they
Adam: have to 69 each other in front of auntie for her to believe it
Nicky: and then like they so they even had to like cook up a story about how like they met each other in venice and you have like this very like which is
Winnie: cheesy encounter
Adam: they just wanted a film in venice yeah it was keijo being like let's go to venice there's no reason
Nicky: And they were like doing like the most like, you know, like they were doing like these feminine gestures and dancing.
Khilli: Yeah.
Winnie: In the most
Nicky: stereotypical fashion.
Winnie: I don't know how else to put it.
Khilli: I think Abhishek was being like more effeminate and right. Yeah. And then John was being like the like more duty. Yeah. Reserve. They were trying
Winnie: that stereotype.
Adam: Who's the top and who's the bottom?
Winnie: Yeah. yeah what's your guess actually that's a good question I
Adam: guess
Nicky: John Abraham stop the top yeah that's the stereotype that's what I would assume
Khilli: in my fantasy he's the top
Winnie: to me Abhishek is the top why
Khilli: explain
Winnie: I
Adam: No one's gay in this room, so we're all gonna... So go into why you think he's a top. Just
Winnie: the vibes. I guess he had... Like I told you, I felt like when watching the movie, they tried to push him to the front a bit more. He had a bit more of a leading persona. And also, I feel like John Abraham's like this really hot guy that someone like Abishek would keep around as his, like, you know, side piece or something.
Adam: I
Winnie: feel like I was like...
Adam: Do you think... Can you imagine...
Winnie: he's like a trophy wife like basically right but
Adam: could you imagine
Winnie: john abraham like
Adam: taking it from behind like that i just don't really see that in my head i mean he's the hotter person he's a hotter person right so i feel well but i just don't think he would do that
Nicky: i'm may i remind you there was a scene in the the the women's changing room and it was abby shank i was getting
Adam: um
Nicky: Getting drilled from behind. That's true. Allegedly. What?
Adam: Oh, yeah. In the dressing
Nicky: room, they were like...
Adam: Oh, jeez. Yeah, the filmmakers
Khilli: wanted us to see John as top and Abhishek as bottom.
Winnie: Maybe women just wanted to see
Khilli: Abraham. Yeah. So that's why the film works. Oh, babe. What
Adam: was that?
Khilli: yeah
Winnie: for sure yeah
Khilli: so
Adam: they they come to the condo they pretend they're gay but they live in separate rooms which never raises a question
Winnie: yeah exactly priyanka is just like all right you know like how is that not a concern
Khilli: what that
Winnie: they live in separate rooms if um like if a male and female couple came and did that you'd probably be like what's going on you have relationship issues
Nicky: Well, this is a bit of a reach, but I know that there are couples out there who sleep in separate rooms.
Winnie: Maybe after like 10 years, you know, when you're like married and you say,
Nicky: I'm sick of your
Khilli: snoring. I like to like have different room.
Nicky: Oh, there you go.
Winnie: All right.
Nicky: Myth is spelled.
Winnie: Okay.
Nicky: Gay people, they're just like
Winnie: us.
Adam: Comes in all
Khilli: colors and varieties. Does Niha
Adam: live with them?
Winnie: Yeah.
Adam: in this condo so it's three bedrooms right it's a three bedroom they
Winnie: never
Khilli: showed her bedroom they never
Adam: show her bedroom
Winnie: she's always on the couch
Adam: and we see their two because we know the layout and they have like a shared bathroom they talk about that a lot but we never see her room or if she has a private bathroom or anything
Khilli: yeah was it a condo
Adam: like in
Khilli: a bigger building it was beautiful it
Winnie: had like a massive kind of like window with a balcony
Khilli: yeah outlook
Winnie: like a nice view
Khilli: she
Winnie: had a pool yeah yeah
Khilli: do the nurses in miami afford to live like that we just talked about that
Adam: uh One thing, I like her reason for renting out the condo, which was like, yeah, I bought it. And then the bank started asking for money. So now I need to do something about that. It's like, what the
Winnie: fuck?
Adam: How did you think this would work? Where did you think the money would come from? Or do you know how buying things work? She's like, yeah, I just randomly bought this. And now I have to pay it back. So she rents
Khilli: it out. I think it was kind of a portrait that she comes from money.
Adam: Yeah. And then
Khilli: she doesn't give a... It's like an afterthought of buying a property. If it's an afterthought of the how are you going to pay for your property or buying, then you're probably like super rich. Of course.
Nicky: Of course. And you know, they fall in love with Neha, right? They're attracted to her. And how do we know this? Because they keep checking out her ass. There's a
Winnie: lot of ass
Nicky: shots in that movie. It was like she bends down and...
Winnie: Yeah, while Priyanka's wearing a lot of revealing clothing and they're
Adam: slowly
Winnie: falling in love.
Adam: Very revealing.
Nicky: So we get this montage of them spending time together, bonding over their friendship. They go to the beach. They check
Adam: Priyanka out.
Nicky: They go shopping. They drive through the... In a pink Cadillac. I don't know if you remember that. There's always a pink Cadillac in the movie. Two straight guys pretending to be gay.
Winnie: You guys remember the golden swimsuit that Priyanka wore
Nicky: when she was on
Winnie: the beach? That also became iconic. That outfit and the Desi Girls Zari. I think those were like... This movie had a massive influence on fashion.
Nicky: Yeah.
Winnie: But then it holds
Nicky: up. It really does. So tell me, Winnie, before the standout, there was never a shot of a girl walking in an iconic outfit or anything? It just starts from there?
Winnie: I don't know. Maybe Kili can talk about how provocative this was in that time. But I think Priyanka was an up-and-coming artist. She was kind of seen for her sex factor. So... This movie, I know for saris, I think it definitely like set off another fashion in saris where you just wear the bikini top and the sari on top and with the glittery and stuff that set off a whole sari fashion bikinis. It's a good look. Was it like very groundbreaking at the time, Kili?
Khilli: No, like we already started watching films that had like very revealing clothing.
Winnie: There were like
Khilli: certain films which have that kind of costume. And then there will be certain films that will not have. So the costume designer was Manish Malhotra and Aki Narula. I know this guy Manish Malhotra. I mean, he was like a very big fashion designer for... celebrities and also films uh and then i think she he designed the costume for priyanka
Winnie: and
Khilli: the other guy aki he designed for everyone else so manish was like this all glittery glamour
Winnie: kind of
Khilli: yeah so i think he brings out that side of the fashion he comes up with that fashion
Winnie: and it's
Khilli: kind of a trendsetter yeah but in terms of revealing it was it was already yeah we were already seeing and
Adam: it was okay fine yeah but it feels like a like sports illustrated swimsuit edition
Khilli: movie yeah yeah
Adam: it's just skin everywhere like just hot people showing skin the entire movie
Winnie: but
Nicky: like we like Winnie said the the fashion in this movie is quite influential you see all the characters they are there's a lot of style to it. Every shot you see.
Winnie: And Abhishek and John Raham for not being gay was still just very gay. Do you guys remember with the scarf that they had tied around, the sweater? I don't know if that was
Adam: intentional or not,
Nicky: but...
Adam: They fit like that. They look super gay. I mean, they have sashes and yeah, they're like unbuttoning their shirts and stuff. Yeah. I just
Nicky: think of like the Ritik in Kabi Kushi Kabigam when he was like wearing like sleeveless shirts.
Winnie: Yeah. There
Nicky: was that reporter that said like, hey, you know, you look kind of like she didn't she didn't outright say it, but like he looks kind of feminine. It's that it reminds me of that. There's a lot of like.
Khilli: Yeah. Uh.
Winnie: which is basically like karan johar influence you could say it's always his movies like
Adam: what a dream if you could just dress up these guys as gay guys and get away with it like barbie dolls
Winnie: yeah exactly
Adam: you
Khilli: guys remember the discussion during dhoom like how they were like so they felt like they should like start kissing each other Yeah, so I think this is like a script written after watching Dhoom. Like, okay, cause those two guys.
Winnie: It's fan fiction.
Adam: What if they lived together? Yeah.
Khilli: You see, they said like in some other life, who could have been like good friends while... Like before killing himself, John says like in some other life, we could have been really good friends. So that's what Devstana is.
Adam: For sure. This is like an alternate universe where
Khilli: they make
Winnie: out
Adam: instead of fight with
Khilli: each other. Yeah,
Adam: exactly. This is like a girl's fantasy land too though, right? Like living with two hot dudes.
Winnie: Yeah.
Adam: i know but which
Winnie: is funny right because priyanka gets stressed about it when she finds out they're both in love with her and i'm like wow what a terrible situation to be in like two hot guys okay one average guy and one really hot guy is in love with you i think
Khilli: they were like equidistant to her so she cannot choose and pick at that point and she already kind of started seeing the other guy who
Winnie: was like
Khilli: being like a puppy to her kind of like I
Nicky: mean for
Winnie: a while she was talking about
Nicky: her struggles right in the beginning she was talking about how like oh you know I'm still single the guys I'm with are gay
Khilli: yeah
Winnie: family
Nicky: probably would have vouched for that though
Khilli: yeah she already had a heart for those two guys that's that was sheer but she was in her head like oh they're gay so
Nicky: yeah like Priyank uh her character Neha she works at a magazine so so her boss is basically like leaving for another publication and then he kind of wants to be like like, you know, figuring out who should take over. And Neha gets this funny idea that, you know, why don't I invite him to dinner and meet my gay roommates in a ploy to, like, you know, get her to win the position, I suppose. Yeah. And then, you know, you get this dinner scene where it's, like, You know, it's a very funny one, I think. They pretend to be gay in front of her boss. And they also get the immigration officer, surprise inspection, who's just trying to see if they're really gay. And then...
Adam: Wait, but let's... Come on. So... But they – we need to talk about that plot. They're going to the American courthouse, right, to do like a gay marriage certificate thing. To
Nicky: get the permit, right? Residence permit. Right.
Adam: And then they meet this gay government officer who's like, okay. But then he just randomly shows up to their house – and uninvited and doesn't tell them and says, I just need to make sure you're gay. So I'm going to hang out with you and party all night. I'm also gay. I'm just going to hit on all of you as well. And so like this government officer is just kind of like assaulting them and forcing them to be gay in front of him. So like they can get residency. And I don't think they do surprise gay inspections like that.
Nicky: Well, I want to ask Adam, does that work in Miami? Do they get... Do gay people get shorter queue times at the immigration office?
Adam: If you're a straight couple, yeah, they can randomly show up at your house and just say, okay, now dance with each other to make sure you're a couple. And sometimes the government officer will hit on the wife or the guy, depending on his
Winnie: sexuality.
Adam: And they can just show up anytime. And so I guess it's the same for gay people.
Khilli: He actually has hot for John Abraham.
Adam: So that's why
Khilli: he sent a letter to Abhishek Bachchan's home
Winnie: address that he
Khilli: gave in England.
Winnie: And
Khilli: then to cross-verify with his mother whether he's gay or not. And his mother says that, like, no, he's not gay. So that's why he came to like with a heart for John Abraham that he can hook up with John or something like that.
Adam: It's an immigration officer trying to ruin their relationship and deport someone so that he can be with his like a strange lover. And also, yeah, so Abhishek's mom lives in London.
Nicky: Yeah.
Adam: And they're like, oh, we sent it to that address. And then it cuts to her house with a bunch of palm trees. like very clearly not in england and then like one hour later she's in miami because she like hopped on a plane from london i thought the time and geography was
Khilli: no i think that was like a flashback to how she really is or is it
Adam: like oh no she had her house in london with palm trees i don't
Khilli: oh yeah that that part is not it just
Adam: looked like miami but for some reason it was london
Khilli: To the
Winnie: immigration officer's defense, though, like he did walk into the bathroom and see John Abraham and Abishay plotting this whole thing, right? Yeah, so he had reason to be suspicious. You would think he would have denied their application because he saw them scheming against the system.
Khilli: But they were talking in Hindi.
Winnie: And that's another point that really bothered me. Usually films don't irk me the way they irk Adam. Like, I don't get hung up on any small details. But throughout the dinner scene, which is, like, quite hilarious, like Nikki said, it's very unclear whether the immigration officer understands Hindi or not.
Nicky: Yeah.
Winnie: Because there are some points where he's, like, understanding what's going on. And
Nicky: then there was a part where the mom was, like, talking to God. And he was, like, there was, like, a throwaway gag where he was, like, Who is she talking to?
Winnie: Yeah, yeah. It's just really strange, that whole setup. Can we
Nicky: fuck
Winnie: yet? When's a threesome happening? That's what I'm here for. I have to stamp your residency here.
Khilli: Do you guys remember Priyanka Chopra didn't tell her boss that... they're a couple.
Nicky: Yeah. Because she
Khilli: needed them
Nicky: to
Winnie: think that they're single.
Khilli: Yeah. So that he can hit on them.
Winnie: She was pretty much trying to pimp out her gay roommates for her job to get a promotion. So not
Khilli: everyone is like, everyone is gray here.
Winnie: Everyone's manipulative.
Adam: That side of their
Khilli: character. That's true.
Nicky: That's true. yeah there's a lot of manipulation god damn you know how gay people are so in the dinner party the last person to show up was Abhishek's mom as Adam mentioned I think that's when they have a heart to heart about how you should accept your son's happiness like no you should be happy for his happiness but like before
Khilli: before coming around like she did like some weird as hell stuff like you know like going at night is his son's bedroom and like doing some dark magic on
Winnie: him so that like he does he's not gay
Khilli: anymore so it's like i think it's a good reference to like how people like now like even even in every culture people kind of say like oh we can make like gay people come around and be straight either by this or by that they need treatment and and kind of like the film film kind of uses that trope with like literal dark magic and shit that which we all know like doesn't work and then that that that that contradiction was like and that not contradiction that that parallel was pretty good in my opinion yeah
Winnie: i think it's a very nice depiction of how dramatic indian parents can be like i think they used her character in a very comical way it serves an important plot point in terms of like the key takeaway message that the film wanted to promote but they did it in such a funny way where they show her doing all these yes like dramatic things and then fainting and then she has like this one scene with the song madalala where she's like moving through couches and it's like her world is falling apart just because her son is gay.
Khilli: Yeah.
Winnie: Yeah. And she actually received a nomination for best supporting actor for this role. So she's quite applauded for that.
Adam: It keeps winning. Like it's portraying everything correctly. Like I, I loved it.
Winnie: Yeah.
Adam: They did a great job. I had – so they're trying to live with this woman that they're in love with, and they can't hit on her because they need to pretend to be gay. I texted you guys in the chat that I had the same experience. So in America, I used to work at a – there was a gay hamburger restaurant that was like a family – drag queen restaurant in Colorado.
Winnie: So definitely not Chick-fil-A. It was called Hamburger Mary's. Anti-gay.
Adam: It was pro-gay, but it was a family restaurant. And they did like drag queen bingo and karaoke and stuff. And before that, I used to work at a sushi restaurant as a waiter. And I was very bad because... You can tell by my voice, I come off as very rude sometimes or very curt. And so I didn't, I don't do like the American hospitality that well. So I was like, okay, I'll go to a gay restaurant. And then I could just speak the same way, but they think I'm like hitting on them this time. and it is true so like I was the only straight guy in this gay restaurant but I killed it you know like because I would just talk the same but they're like oh he's being like a jackass but he's gay so it's funny instead of like the sushi restaurant they just like hated me and wouldn't tip me but I would do the exact same thing and they would like tip me so huge here but then I also got the most numbers from girls at this place because like tons of like girls would come and you know, they really like the gay bar because they feel comfortable.
Winnie: They can like hit
Adam: on guys without being afraid of like getting hit on back. And like, they're just like in a safer environment with hot dudes and stuff. And, and they'd always say like, Oh man, I wish you weren't gay. And I'd be like, well, guess what? I don't know. surprise wolf in sheep's clothing i'm not bitch and i just met a lot of people there but there's one time i had this this uh returning guy customer who like kind of had a crush on me and he would kind of come to see me sometimes and there was this chick that i was trying to hit on but they were like right next to each other So, like, I was trying to, like, just communicate with my eyes to her that, like, I'm not gay. But, like, still with the guy next to her, like, kind of still flirt back with him. So I wouldn't, like, lose him as a long-term customer. And I saw this girl later. And I was like, yeah, man, I was trying to, like... make you understand that like I was like hitting on you and like I but I couldn't say anything at the time and she's like yeah I could not understand why you were acting so fucking weird the whole time I'm just like
Winnie: stealthily trying to like hit
Adam: on her and like not let this guy know I'm straight so the movie hit close to home
Khilli: I
Winnie: understand
Khilli: we've
Adam: all been there
Khilli: that sounds like a short film right there
Adam: it was hard I still remember because I'm like man this is going to be really tricky I can't like lose my money but like maybe she'll get the hint
Nicky: alright that's a goal if we get 2 million subscribers we'll film this
Adam: yeah we'll We'll go back in time and recreate my. Oh, sorry. With the same restaurant, I'll just bring up one last thing because it always stung me. During the job interview with that place, the guy asked me, like, what are your hobbies? And I don't have many hobbies. So I was like, I have friends that are DJs. and he's like we don't need to talk about this anymore he's like that was the saddest thing he'd ever heard he's like we could just move on and i was
Khilli: like that got you hired i think he
Adam: felt so bad that my hobby was having friends
Winnie: no this guy's probably like well he has no hobbies so he can spend all his time at work
Adam: which was true which was true he loved me as an employee
Winnie: so
Nicky: neha neha gets like you know she gets like this pass from her new boss right They redesigned the magazine. She's
Winnie: working
Nicky: for a magazine.
Winnie: She's working, yeah. We've already met her. So
Nicky: she has to redesign the magazine in two weeks. And, you know, she didn't get off with the right foot with the... with her new boss, right? And, you know, the... We get, like, scenes of, like, the... The three of them bonding, the three friends, right? And there was, like, a montage... I remember there was, like, a montage where she was, like, redesigning... She was doing the photo shoot with John Abraham. They were doing, like, some photo shoot. They quickly explained her project, her new boss... is proud of her. And there was like, we get like a quick cut to like this fashion show where it was a success. And they wanted to see the boss come out on stage. And what does he do? He holds her hand and they come out. I guess we get this moment where she's like smitten with him. And when they come out on the stage, the two men realize that, oh, they've got some competition. so
Winnie: the second half
Nicky: of the movie
Adam: yeah they have an intermission which is nice
Nicky: yes the second half of the movie is like a lot of manipulation
Khilli: some of
Adam: the most fucked up manipulation I've ever seen I
Winnie: felt uncomfortable at one point I was like can this just stop
Adam: how
Winnie: are we supposed to root for these main characters how many lives will they ruin I
Khilli: like that they went to that part that the main character you won't root for them That was a really nice one because you know they're doing bad things. But by the way, the way the boss was behaving with her, was it like HR violence?
Adam: Yes. Absolutely.
Winnie: He was
Khilli: kind of flirty in his tone a lot when he was giving work and stuff like that. You can do it and something like that. Very seductive manner.
Winnie: It was like mutual. I feel like she was reciprocating which made it seem a bit less creepy. It was definitely
Khilli: like
Adam: a violation
Winnie: of like workplace policies but. Yeah because he's
Adam: presenting her as like his girlfriend and as getting promoted in the company
Winnie: at the same time. There was not much romance between them. I think it was meant to show that he's a good character because he's allowing her to get recognition for her work. I think a lot of companies, the man would just the boss would take the credit for it but he went to extra mileage and
Adam: gave
Winnie: her credit for it. I think it was just meant to make us like his character because They're going to start this romance between them. And so now we should
Khilli: root for him
Winnie: while the gay couple is being pretty much dickheads to everyone around them.
Khilli: Thanks for the defense, Sweeney. In
Adam: India, that's
Khilli: the most
Adam: progressive thing a boss has ever done.
Winnie: Literally. That's the least sexual
Adam: harassment any girl will experience in that type of
Winnie: workplace. You're giving a subordinate credit. You must be the best person ever. Can I
Adam: marry you and be a mom to your kid?
Khilli: I got you the promotion, bitch.
Adam: Could you just put on this mask of John Abraham
Nicky: and I'll marry you? She finds out that her boss is also a divorced dad. he has a kid named veer uh and you know that you know they they the the two men they tried to like you know uh win her affections one by one right uh you get like this moment where so like john abraham uh his character has like a photo shoot in philadelphia so he goes away and then abish's character gets like a funny idea take her out on a date.
Winnie: Winnie,
Adam: I'm
Nicky: going to ask you one thing. Imagine you don't know any of us, the three of us, and we all pretend to be gay.
Adam: Which one would you believe is gay more?
Nicky: Oh my gosh. We're like a throuple, right? And then Keeley decides to go shooting somewhere else and Adam has to go away and edit the next Fear of Stairs episode. So I'm left with you, right? And I'll be like, you know what? I'm going to take you as friends. to an amusement park. I buy out the whole amusement park
Adam: where there's
Nicky: nobody there and I'll be like, you know, this is just a hangout, right? And we go on all the carnival rides. We ride the merry-go-round. We play mini golf. Play DDR. And then not only that, but at the end of it all, I give you a gift and I say, this is our diaries. and it's just the photos of us. I don't mean us four. I mean just us two. And it's like, this is the first day we went on a walk.
Winnie: This is the day you beat
Nicky: me at Tekken. This is the day we smoked a joint together. I don't know, you know, it's... At that point, you would realize something is up, right? That's like perfect friendship.
Winnie: I don't
Nicky: believe it.
Winnie: Gay friendships that all women dream of. Really the ultimate
Adam: gay best friend. I've given Whitney so many friendship books between us. That's normal. How does a nurse rent out an entire amusement
Winnie: park? That was
Adam: my question. That was so romantic.
Winnie: Making jobs really
Adam: pay really well.
Winnie: Incredible. I
Adam: want to be a nurse. If
Winnie: I could
Adam: own amusement parks like that.
Winnie: So now we have them not staying in the same bedroom. Abhishek wooing Priyanka in this way. And still, no flags have been raised.
Khilli: And then a beautiful romantic dinner by John Abraham.
Winnie: Yeah, where they watch Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. While
Khilli: hugging, like, really touchy, nice, like, you know, comfy.
Adam: And he hires a boy to just, like, squirt. use sprinklers on them to make it rain and stuff. She's having the best dates of her life.
Winnie: I have never even had these kind of dates from straight men, you know? So it's like... You'll never have dates
Nicky: like that from
Adam: straight men. That's the thing. Straight men would never do that.
Nicky: No, it's because they can't afford to buy out the whole amusement park. So here
Winnie: you
Khilli: learn the trick. Like you ask straight men to like, you know, like... You know, like pretend you are gay. And you're my best friend. And you're gay.
Winnie: Will you guys pretend to be gay? Is that where we're going? I
Nicky: will have to try and see if I like kissing beers. Looking at new feelings.
Winnie: oh gosh well you know what's gonna happen after this
Adam: winnie whose date was better oh
Winnie: that's a good question i think john abraham was nicer
Adam: like more intimate
Winnie: and also because like it's john abraham
Adam: so i might be biased them i
Winnie: think still like what are you gonna do in amusement park is cool can we go on the roller coasters are there gonna be any like people to
Adam: you know navigate they went on everything
Winnie: yeah definitely amusement park yeah
Adam: I mean I'm with you Winnie that's
Winnie: my dream me too it feels like zombie land
Adam: so she goes on these dates and she's like oh these are my fun gay best friends and then she's still gonna marry the guy right yeah
Nicky: it hasn't happened yet uh so then what happens is that the her boss invites her to this like children's charity event with an adult twist i don't know it's like a paradox i don't know
Adam: come to
Winnie: this triple x kids party
Nicky: yeah so uh that's when they you know uh try to woo her affections and we get that scene with like her wearing the silver sari and all that and it ends with like him uh it ends with abby coming in late and the the two guys notice that she really has she really has the hearts for him basically and that's when they you know the evilness of this movie comes out they just they so sam and kunal they team up together and and uh try to manipulate behind the scenes
Khilli: yeah they went be really dark they
Nicky: went really dark so the first thing they did was like they they went to to abby and befriended him and i don't even know why abby would be listening to these two came in in the first place
Adam: i would be so suspicious of these two guys exactly
Nicky: but he he's just like a dumb guy like he just follows every word they say so like You dress up in a colorful outfit. You take... You rip out your... You wax off your chest hair.
Adam: She said she liked it. She's like, I like his chest hair. So they're like, take it off.
Khilli: But all this while, he's like a main editor of a fashion magazine.
Adam: Right. Like,
Winnie: how did he get there when he's so easily manipulated?
Khilli: Yeah. He does the worst fashion ever, being like the chief editor
Winnie: of a fashion magazine. That's so weird. The things you do for love.
Khilli: that's what he said
Adam: he makes her pay for dinner
Winnie: oh yeah
Adam: she was
Winnie: talking about how she likes that he's still chivalrous pretty much and they start telling him that he has to be equal and treat her as an equal But the worst part What they did was when they Got his son involved
Adam: That's the darkest it gets Yeah that
Winnie: is when I just turned against them Crossed the line They befriend
Adam: the kid And tell him that If the dad gets married this kid will get Abandoned
Winnie: They instill
Adam: fear in
Winnie: him They're
Adam: going to send you off to
Winnie: boarding school
Khilli: He's going
Winnie: to love Neha instead
Khilli: It's a stepmother archetype from like old generation stories, I guess. Like stepmother will hate you and like send you away kind of thing. Yeah. So they were like doing that. It's
Adam: like so bad. And then they make the kid fake being sick so the dad can't go on a date with Neha.
Winnie: Yeah.
Adam: And like so they're like pitting them against each other and making the kid lie and
Winnie: Abby lie
Adam: and everyone lie with each other. At the
Winnie: same time, they're telling Neha like, look, he's always going to choose his kid. Like you're not his priority. So they push her to push for the date while his son is pushing him to stay home because he's pretending to be sick. And this is pure evil. And what's the end game?
Nicky: Yeah.
Winnie: right like who's gonna get her at the end like between the two of them they're really just plotting to make her lose this guy and while
Nicky: selfish yes while this was happening they were so smug about it like there was no sense of remorse whatsoever
Khilli: thinking from dick
Adam: They didn't care
Nicky: about her as
Adam: a friend, even though they
Khilli: gave her a
Adam: friendship book.
Nicky: So Abby invites Neha
Adam: to a
Nicky: basketball game. And that's when she finds out that he plans to propose to her.
Adam: At the basketball game. At the basketball
Nicky: game, because he ordered a ring. and
Adam: this is the second date by the way right it's like the second date
Nicky: right they
Winnie: have dinner and
Adam: he's like i'm gonna propose to her at the basketball game yep i
Winnie: mean you see the relationship progressing through songs and stuff right like yeah but
Khilli: this is the worst thing you can do to anyone like you know like put them in like this huge thing
Adam: without any discussion
Khilli: and just propose them and put them in that spot
Winnie: also it has that
Adam: weird uh indian movie love affair with basketball right Which I still don't get yet why. Like, I think they're just obsessed with basketball. Because they don't play it themselves.
Khilli: No. Right. Maybe some, like, passionable, like, international school
Winnie: kids. Yeah. But
Khilli: that's, like, limited to that. Like, very small number of people.
Adam: Maybe it's
Winnie: representative of America to them. Yeah.
Adam: I think it's, like, Quidditch to them. You know what I mean? Like, if they see it, it's like, oh, that's America.
Khilli: It's basketball. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Baseball is too... baseball is too i don't know baseball i never see baseball much though no
Adam: yeah because i think it's too close to cricket i think basketball is super alien and weird
Winnie: and very
Adam: american it's only really in america
Khilli: yeah so they
Adam: just like love basketball in these films
Khilli: and they they use that as a bullying prop yeah
Adam: and they love just the ball to like throw people and stuff yeah So he proposes to her.
Nicky: He plans to propose to her, right? And then there was a moment where he has to go get the ring. That's when Neha has a little interaction with his son, right? Where she was scolding him. That triggers his fear that she's mean and that his dad will leave him. for her. And Neha gets up and then meets Sam and Kunal, right? And then tells her, like, should I say yes or should I say no because he's going to propose to me? And that's when you get, like, that turning point where both the men confess their love for her. And that's when things start to fall apart, right?
Adam: I'm just gonna
Winnie: wrap it up
Nicky: okay I don't
Adam: know they just leave and they're like we're sorry we fucked up they come back and see her thinking that she was gonna get married to this guy and they're not like they both broke up cause of the fucking kid kids ruin everything you know, and, uh, and yeah,
Nicky: it was like a fashion show, right? And then
Adam: Hotel
Nicky: Delano.
Adam: Is that a fancy? They're all at Hotel Delano in this movie.
Nicky: So yeah, that's, that's happening, right? And then they, they literally came up to, you know, to tell her like, hey, you know, We're the assholes. We fucked up. We manipulated everything, including Abby's little boy. And, you know, to prove that they would go to great lengths, they had a makeup session.
Khilli: To
Nicky: put it simply... that was
Khilli: the punishment right yeah
Winnie: that was obi's kind of like he told them make out then we'll forgive you and then as they're making out you the camera pans to obi and he's just like man even i wouldn't do that for you which kind of like just punches into like how bad homosexuality is i feel like at the end of the movie where this is the one moment yeah
Adam: where they do some gay panic yeah Like, not the characters, but the actors, I think, themselves are doing gay panic. Because they're not really kissing. No. It's very clear they're not really kissing. The camera covers it up. So, like, they are afraid of kissing each other.
Winnie: Absolutely. But I think the fact that they even showed, you know, like, two great actors were willing to act like they were kissing was probably quite... radical at the time. But I didn't even like that whole scene, you know, because I feel like they were apologizing. At first, Neha and Abi were not forgiving them. They were going to walk out. And so these two guys, like, rush up to the stage and kind of, like, almost, I feel like, forcing them to forgive.
Adam: I don't know. I feel like they're selfish to the end. They are. And also the premise is, like, you have to humiliate yourself to prove that you're real about this, which is, like, a weird test. you know like you could just be nice to her or something but they like want to ridicule them to like debase them one
Winnie: last
Nicky: time and that's it that's the stana right there it's just a cute little movie about homosexuals when if you pretend to be homosexuals manipulating relationships
Adam: it's about the gay agenda manipulating children to ruin straight people's lives
Winnie: So the movie was quite popular. It received a lot of critical acclaim. It used a lot of star power to bring homosexuality into the mainstream conversation in India. But it was also criticized to some degree for promoting negative stereotypes about gay people, like we mentioned earlier. But do you guys think it did that, having watched the film? How do you think the approach was? Well,
Adam: before that... When the movie came out, how did you guys feel about it or how was it received? It
Winnie: was received pretty well. Yeah.
Khilli: So it was the hype was like, oh, are they gay? Because I think from the, I don't remember the trailer, but maybe from the trailer you couldn't say that they were actually gay or not. I think that like this thing that two big major actors are like appearing in a gay movie. So that was kind of a big deal. But when the film came out, it was well received. And yeah, then like in this like mainstream films, there hadn't been any many gay representation. Also, this is even if it is not a gay representation, but it brings the gay culture, like when you say.
Adam: Right.
Khilli: yeah
Adam: I would have loved to be in the theater like if nobody knew about that and like hearing the theater when they're about to kiss or like when everyone finds out their game like that would have been so fun in theaters that would have been a blast if nobody knew about that yeah I would have loved that and I think if I was a teenage girl Winnie, if I was your age when this came out, I would have been sexually awakened
Winnie: at all of it. The
Adam: gay fantasy of it, the Miami lifestyle, John Abraham, all of it would be, I think I'd be obsessed with it.
Khilli: There is actually like only two gay characters in the film, like real gay characters, the ex-boss and the immigration officer, right? Were there any other?
Adam: The producer.
Winnie: Right. So Karan Johar in an interview addressed kind of like some of these comments about... All of the gay criticism promoting gay stereotypes. And first he mentioned that after this movie, he received so many emails from young people in India who were like thanking him for making the movie because it allowed their parents to become aware of homosexuality and just be able to talk about it. But then when he was kind of like prompted on some of the stereotypical representation of gay people... I'll just read the quote because I think it's quite nice. He goes, this is in 2016, an interview, which also shows that the movie was relevant like eight years after its release. He says, there was once a point where we weren't even aware. People criticized me for stereotyping homosexuality in Dostana. It's ridiculous how unaware people were before. The film, at least, brought the conversation about homosexuality in the drawing room of every urban home. Yeah, he's right.
Adam: And, you know, in America, maybe we had films like Brokeback Mountain or something. But those were indie films. The majority of people did not see them.
Winnie: And at
Adam: the time, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal were major stars. They were like, you know, young actors at the time. So for it to be like such a major studio production with huge actors and a big budget thrown behind this, like that's a big deal and bigger than anything America did at the time.
Winnie: This movie was compared quite a bit to I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. And I think the people who made the movie also mentioned that that was kind of like where the influence came from. Now, I've watched I Now Pronouncing Chuck and Larry like so many years ago. Can't really remember the plot too well. But did you guys see any similarities?
Adam: No. And Adam Sandler does not look like John Abraham.
Khilli: No.
Adam: they're not super good looking. And that movie had way more gay panic, right?
Khilli: Also, at any point, you can just say, oh, these are straight people pretending to be gay. And then you can just walk over that... yeah the director talked about
Winnie: that he mentioned like when making the movie he didn't want it to be overly preachy if you didn't want to take the gay message just enjoy it as like three people living together in miami like it's not overly preachy at
Adam: all and and that's what i like too is it's not it doesn't just handle the gay stuff well but it handles like the friend zone well like the end of the story
Winnie: isn't
Adam: those guys like having sex with her she does get married to the older guy and they're just happy being friends and that's cool
Khilli: yeah and
Adam: that's chill and i really like that like they're the movies like you can be friends with girls and guys and that's it's a good uh message
Khilli: that's a rarity in bollywood films as well like very less film has that aspect where the main characters become friend at the end and not like cup like in a relationship if
Adam: you think about it the traditionally like the least masculine stuff is to be accused of being gay and uh being friend zoned by hot girlfriends right
Winnie: yeah and both
Adam: of these big main stars happen it happens to them both of those things and they totally own it and own this movie and it's not a black mark on them at all
Winnie: all right we're going to
Adam: the fear of stairs scale right we're all good
Winnie: all right all
Adam: right all What was the staircase moment? I
Winnie: mean, for me, it was when
Adam: they manipulate the kid.
Winnie: Because you're like, well,
Adam: what the fuck? I just didn't see that going that place for these grown men to just
Winnie: ruin a
Adam: kid's life like this.
Winnie: It was surprising, but it didn't add a huge twist to the plot, right? It was
Adam: just kind of a supporting
Winnie: plot line to show their antiques getting very nasty. It made them evil.
Khilli: Yeah.
Winnie: right but
Khilli: yeah i was also thinking of that but there was a weak staircase moment for pianka for sure yeah right oh yeah the
Winnie: basketball game would kind of be the closest staircase moment where they confess her love she has a big proposal the guy is not really proposing anymore because the kid doesn't want him to get married it's just a mess of a scene right
Nicky: okay i actually thought abby was gay
Winnie: so
Nicky: like when he held piyanka chopra's hand that was my story that
Adam: would be such a good
Nicky: movie twist if he's like sorry i'm
Adam: gay and then her two gay roommates are straight and
Winnie: that
Adam: would be good uh dance floor claws oh
Winnie: yeah five out of
Nicky: five yeah yeah top notch i felt like i felt like all the musical numbers had served its purpose to show like plot progression
Adam: what's the best one
Nicky: For me, it had to be... It had to be the one at the adults-only children's charity event.
Winnie: Desi Girl?
Nicky: Yeah. Sing
Winnie: it, Nikki.
Nicky: Just
Winnie: the chorus.
Khilli: Desi Girl, Desi Girl, Girl, Girl. Okay. For you, for me, Winnie?
Winnie: I was such a big fan of this album. So I watched this movie quite a few times in high school. I had like... a really good friend who was gay not fully out of the closet we watched this movie with him so i have like good memories of it and this album was like something i downloaded and listened to because all the songs were so good my favorite was janik you janik you i'll be all right i'll be all right okay i'm gonna cringe when i hear this it's a great soundtrack which scene was that i don't remember but it also plays at the end no at the end is madalala that's also really good but also to give a context that like this this the soundtrack of this movie was highly acclaimed they received nomination for best soundtrack it became the fourth highest album selling album in india in the year which is like quite surprising for a movie soundtrack to gain that kind of recognition so And Desi Girl comes from it, and I think that's a hot staple song. I don't think you'd meet any Desi person who doesn't know it. I don't think I've been to an Indian wedding since the song came out where this song didn't come on. So, yeah.
Adam: I've heard that song before. Of course. And I've never heard any songs, really. Family Feud Factor.
Nicky: Yeah.
Adam: mother
Nicky: three out of five I guess
Adam: auntie, mother like it was like
Nicky: the conflict was there but it gets resolved son
Khilli: versus dad
Adam: with the little kid
Khilli: that's
Adam: true yeah How about this? Regional heat check. Did it
Khilli: reflect
Adam: Miami culture
Khilli: well? Yes. What's your thought?
Adam: I mean, Miami is super gay. I think they kind of nailed it. Even straight guys look gay in Miami. The bowl colors, like the beach, the atmosphere. I thought they nailed it. and Hotel Delano is a dream. We all know about Hotel Delano. I
Khilli: didn't block that name actually. Because they kept bringing
Adam: it up, and I was like, are they sponsoring this? And I was looking up the Hotel Delano website and stuff because they just keep talking. They're always meeting at Hotel Delano only. All their events are there. And so I looked it up. It's like a famous hotel in Miami that they started branching out later, but I think they were just the big hotel in Miami that paid for this movie.
Khilli: Maybe just give like free staying for
Adam: people. Moral of the melodrama. What was the big message?
Khilli: Be cool. Don't be evil.
Adam: Kids are easy to manipulate.
Winnie: Don't
Adam: manipulate. kids
Winnie: it's okay to be gay this movie has no real gay characters but it's still okay to be gay
Khilli: yeah it brings on the message very nicely without having any main gay character yeah i
Winnie: give it a five just because i feel like it has a good it has that kind of moral message where it's like take away from it what you want we're not going to shove it in your face
Adam: yeah it's
Winnie: open to interpretation all
Adam: the characters are very sexy but none of them have sex with each other
Winnie: yeah
Adam: And that's a good moral message.
Winnie: You
Adam: don't have to fuck everyone. But you
Winnie: know, you can also see that the moral of the message is that affirmative action is the wrong way to go because it'll always be abused because we do see them
Khilli: abusing the
Winnie: policy to fast track their green
Khilli: card or residency. That's how we'll make America
Winnie: great again. It was
Adam: about immigrants exploiting our system.
Winnie: I think we should be more strict. That's what right-wing Americans would take away from this movie. They didn't
Adam: have to do gay sex acts with each other to get it, and I think that's bullshit, to be honest. This movie's
Winnie: going to make it a requirement to submit a porno video. Yeah, view
Adam: it your spouse. Okay, yeah, so what'd you rate it? Out of five.
Nicky: A strong four for me. I think it ticks almost all the boxes. I don't know much about the representing Miami aspect. Yeah,
Adam: I loved it. I thought the movie was like a breeze to watch. I thought out of all the faults it could have, it really didn't have much. Super impressive for that. And yeah, just extremely attractive cast. It's very fun.
Khilli: For me, it's like I think... it's the Karanjir film I like the most as of now how many like whatever film I've watched from him this is the film I like the most
Adam: same it's my favorite Kjo so far
Khilli: yeah
Winnie: yeah I love the film overall I give it a 5 out of 5 I think objectively yeah 4 4.5 but I just feel like it was such an easy watch you don't really realize that 2 hours flew by it stays interesting the whole time yeah great movie
Adam: We highly recommend.
Winnie: Yeah, and we forgot to mention, but we did this movie in commemoration of... Pride Parade. Yes. So
Nicky: this episode will come out just in time for Bangkok's Pride Parade. It'll be the first year that we're celebrating under the marriage equality law, which has come into effect since last year.
Winnie: are you guys going
Nicky: I am I usually go I've been to the last yeah
Khilli: I went once and like it was really nice I was taking photographs just standing looking at the parade
Adam: are there pride parades in India it sounds so creepy when you're like I was just taking photographs of gay
Khilli: people
Adam: on the side of the street
Khilli: there are so many photographers
Adam: taking photos of
Khilli: the parade it's a nice parade
Winnie: are there pride parades in India yeah there are But
Khilli: I don't think it's the same time. Is it like International Pride Month?
Winnie: It's Thailand,
Khilli: right? Yeah, yeah, yeah. So it's like different time. I keep on seeing photographs on Facebook.
Winnie: Yeah, so big progress has been made in Thailand. We have a bill now, marriage equality bill. Maybe one day India will get there, hopefully.
Khilli: and
Winnie: this film will one day be looked at as the starting point for such a big reform.
Khilli: Landmark. They decriminalized gay sex.
Winnie: Okay,
Khilli: that's a start.
Adam: Okay, so I can go back to the country now?
Nicky: So yeah, love free, be who you are, and we'll see you next episode. Yeah,
Adam: the next movie is... We talked about it.
Khilli: Murder.
Adam: Yeah.
Khilli: We're gonna do murder
Adam: next. Ooh.
Nicky: Ooh. Sexy.
Khilli: It's a very sexy film. Does
Nicky: it involve shooting fathers?
Khilli: I don't know who gets murdered, but someone gets murdered in the film. Like... like assassination
Winnie: I would not have guessed that okay interesting seems
Adam: like a big plot twist alright see you guys bye bye