Adam: I'm asking you
Winnie: How
Adam: do
Winnie: you feel?
Adam: Like I'm gonna vomit Need to reduce your volume
Winnie: Less volume, okay Silence myself Better?
Adam: Can you mute it too?
Winnie: Yeah, I mean I'm already on the floor I
Adam: might as well just like
Winnie: turn it all the way down
Adam: Yeah, just all the way down And then can you put
Winnie: the Down, more down? Opposite, opposite, opposite
Adam: and
Winnie: you see the blindfolds
Adam: can you put those on as well music
Winnie: Welcome to Fear of Stairs, Desi Films Decoded, the podcast where four friends from different backgrounds unlock the role of Desi Cinema. I'm Winnie, the Desi who's never been to India.
Adam: Hi, I'm Killy. I'm from India and I love films.
Nicky: I'm Nikki. I like trains.
Adam: Hey, I'm Adam. I like trains
Nicky: too.
Adam: Maybe we could be friends.
Nicky: Yeah, okay. We're not of age. We're not the same age, but yeah, we can be friends. I'm sorry.
Adam: We knew it picking As long as it's consensual We can enjoy trains together
Nicky: Today we're doing a 2013 film Called Chennai Express Which is an action comedy film Starring the ever-lovable And charismatic Shah Rukh Khan So in this one, Shah Rukh Khan plays Raul, who's a 40-year-old sweet seller, and apparently a bachelor, no less. And he lives with his grandparents, and one day they were celebrating his grandfather's 100th year, and... I guess he just ups and dies. And now his dying wish is for Raul to spread his ashes over two locations. One, the Ganges River. And the other is Ramaswaram, which is a municipality in the Ramaswaram. district of the state of Tamil Nadu. - Good job. - So, however, he wants to go to Goa with his friends as one would, right? And he travels by train in the titular Chennai Express because his granny wanted to send him off. So he couldn't like, you know, just sneak off to go off but in doing so he actually manages to miss getting off on the platform the train platform because one he forgot his grandfather's ashes and two he was helping this this woman and four other dudes on board and this woman is played by Deepika Paduko it's Sorry, guys. Who plays Minama, who's a woman that's fleeing from an arranged marriage. So this big man gangster called Tangabali, who's played by Nikitin Deer. And her father is Dergesh, played by Satyaraj, who is a mafia kingpin and landlord in Tamil Nadu. So yeah, anyway, Minama takes Rahul to her village as her lover And Tangabali challenges Rahul to a duel And what ensues is that, you know, Rahul pretends to take Pretends to be her lover And then at one point they go on some wacky adventures together And as most romantic movies tend to be Like buddy comedies They fall in love And that's the gist of the story And if you haven't noticed We are
Adam: doing a new format For the podcast We're just going to summarize the movie for you And that's it It's going to be five minutes Nikki's going to explain what happened And that's kind of it We got enough feedback that no one wants to hear our opinions So we're just going to tell you what happened And then quickly sign off
Winnie: Well, thank you for tuning in. Bye-bye. That'll be it. Yeah, we're
Adam: going to... We're playing with some format experimentation, trying to make it a little tighter, maybe a little more structured, a little shorter. We'll see. So this film was directed by Rohit Shetty. Okay, so see this director, when I was checking up, he was actually a stuntman for a very big star from Bollywood, Ajay Devgan. So, and Fuller Kante, the film, like I used to love that film when I was a kid. He was a stuntman for the actor. So later he grew in the industry. He did assistant direction. in some some other films and later he worked with like he started making films on his own like he became a director and so his film has this had this theme of like over the top stunts
Khilli: like
Adam: very fantasy like set up sometimes and then like the cars blowing up and everything so what he used to do like he so if you guys know Rohit Shetty he's Shetty he's from Andhra Pradesh so the film industry from Andhra Pradesh the Telugu film industry is like famous or infamous for their over-the-top actions. Like, you know, you might have heard of like Bahubali sometimes, and then all the films from there are like-- all the action films have these weird, superfluous actions. So he's from there. So what he started doing is like he started remaking films from that industry. And yeah, and then he started making this film remake films, which kind of became hit at one point. And his style, his choices. that kind of became a thing in Bollywood, right? So in Bollywood, the action sequences and in the chase sequences, there used to have like those kind of thing where the car is blasting off, the people when they're punching someone is like flying off to like 10 meters away and stuff like that. Like an
Khilli: anime.
Adam: Yeah. So he, this guy kind of, made that on your face and made it like fun to like how do I put it kind of tongue-in-cheek way the so he made the actions in a kind of tongue-in-cheek way but it still stayed with the value of the Bollywood like it's serious but not so serious it's kind of on the Twilight Zone of serious but not serious kind of of thing. So, Chennai Express is his first film with, I think only film with Shah Rukh Khan. So whenever some director is coming up in Bollywood, like making a film with one of the big mega star, Shah Rukh Khan is mega star, right? He's not just a star. That's a milestone for your career. So I think this was his to make Chennai Express. Yeah, so, and also that was a time when I think goofiness was becoming a mainstream thing in Bollywood. Like when we watched Happy New Year before, like we also got the... I mean, it was not well made, but that goofiness was a part of the theme of the whole film, right? I think this was the era where that was becoming mainstream, well accepted to be... like the main theme of the film. Do people... I was wondering that watching the film. Do people know it's corny or do they enjoy it being corny? Is it...
Khilli: Ironic or unironic?
Adam: That's also, I don't know yet. I mean, sometimes I feel like people... I mean, for sure, certain things people know it's corny. Like, when you keep on cross-referring the earlier films and, like, make a joke of that, it's corny. When you are, like... doing over-the-top dialogues and like fun it's it's corny but there are certain silliness that is intrinsic to that this kind of narrative like the way they suddenly like it's all masculine thing happening in the film and then suddenly someone starts talking about women empowerment all of a sudden it kind of sounds corny to me but i don't think people actually clog that as corny But like,
Khilli: was this movie
Adam: cool? Is it cool? Or not cool? I
Winnie: think this
Khilli: movie could push
Winnie: the limits of Corny because it's Shah Rukh Khan.
Adam: I feel
Winnie: like he can get away
Khilli: with a certain level of corniness.
Adam: Subjective thing. For me, it was never cool. No, but for other people.
Winnie: It was a very mixed review, which we'll get into later. But it was like, you get both. There
Adam: had been so many people who liked the film. There
Winnie: had
Adam: been so many people who didn't like the film. Very mixed. I just
Nicky: want to add that the... The goofiness of it all, it does remind me of Thai comedies.
Adam: Yeah,
Khilli: it reminds me a lot of Thai comedies. It was,
Nicky: you know, Thai comedy films have this sort of like corny goofiness, like jokes that anyone can find entertaining. I don't really personally. because it's quite lowbrow
Khilli: it's quite very simple
Adam: sound effects when
Khilli: anyone does anything exactly that's it it's the kind of movie
Adam: that's like this film is like that's exactly it it's very lowbrow so I was saying like this is where the lowbrow dialogues comes meets the lowbrow visual aesthetic in bodyhood so
Khilli: i
Adam: mean whatever it is i mean it was a huge hit
Khilli: uh this
Adam: broke like every single box office record uh so in india it was the fastest at the time it was the fastest movie to hit 100 crore which is about like 16 million usd uh hit it in four days and It was the biggest opening day in India ever. Highest opening weekend in India. Biggest overseas opening. It was the first Bollywood film to cross 200 crore, which is about 37 million. It was the biggest box office... or like the biggest Indian hit in the UK at the time. It surpassed three idiots. It
Khilli: became the biggest.
Adam: And in the UAE, it was the biggest opening weekend for a Bollywood film ever. In India, the weekend it opened, it made back its entire budget.
Winnie: So very successful box office. Incredibly successful. So
Adam: the budget at the time was around like 16 million USD. It made that back opening weekend.
Winnie: Wow. That's wild. Massive,
Adam: massive, huge hit.
Winnie: So despite it being a massive, huge hit, it did receive very mixed reviews from critics. I think there was a general consensus that this movie had a Rohit Shetty trademark stamped all over it. So one review even mentioned that it wasn't about whether it was going to be a hit or not. It was about whether it was going to be a big hit or an enormous hit, because you have Shah Rukh Khan as the lead
Khilli: actor as
Winnie: well. So a lot of mixed reviews Some of the more positive reviews Kind of praised it for having all of the Bollywood elements Brings like the masala theme Where there's big action, there's drama, there's romance The songs were also quite well received Other reviews kind of Criticized it for being very predictable Very cliche, a bit of a bore And the one review that really Stuck out to me was Times of India, which gave the movie 3.5 out of 5 Stars And kind of compared Shah Rukh Khan to Jim Carrey So that he was trying to like kind of evoke that kind of comedy.
Adam: Interesting. One
Winnie: thing that a lot of reviewers did agree on was that Deepika really outshined Shah Rukh Khan.
Adam: Hmm.
Nicky: What
Winnie: do you think?
Adam: Do you think that?
Winnie: So I do think that. So this was when she was still kind of an up and coming star. I don't think she had established herself
Khilli: as a lead actress
Winnie: yet. And I think this movie kind of really drilled that in that she was capable of being a lead actress. she was a lot younger than shara khan as well but
Adam: that was my thing like in the movie she looks she's very pretty and attractive but she looks so young but also like i think they kind of put it they kind of put it in the film itself that shara khan is old
Winnie: exactly there's even one scene right where they i
Adam: read that here the actor is old like he's like oh he never had the experience because he's old Yeah. Because of his grandfather, but he's old. Yeah. So they kind of made it like, yeah. Yeah, but so what?
Khilli: I mean, she's still very
Adam: young in the film.
Winnie: Actually, there's a review from India Today. It gave the movie three out of five stars. And it wrote, the good news first. Chennai expresses a pleasant and likable film in parts. The bad news is it does nothing for Shah Rukh Khan's indomitable star power except to tell us that he can still play a 40-year-old Rahul without faltering.
Adam: Yeah. So
Winnie: I think his age came into question as well. He's nearing 50 when this movie was filmed,
Adam: right? And Deepika is in her early 20s.
Khilli: So some critics also just kind
Winnie: of talked about how... Yeah, it's not a Shah Rukh Khan movie. He's trying to prove that he's not aging, but they actually pick on it in the movie as well when Deepika points out that he's a bit old.
Adam: Yeah. He does come off as a loser in this film. We talked about this.
Khilli: Yeah,
Adam: only at the end, he's somehow... Yeah, miraculously can... He's whiny and he's like, uh, he acts younger than he should. And if he was really like a 40 year old is there
Khilli: portraying, like he'd
Adam: be the lamest 40 year old. He's made like, he's like a stunted development. The individual Yeah He's not like An attractive person
Winnie: Some reviews also talk about How comedy is not His strongest suit And it kind of shows In that movie But because of the effort Like it still kind of Goes through Because
Adam: he has
Nicky: that Style power I have seen Shark's
Adam: Better comedy
Nicky: I don't know We've seen Happy New Year And look how that turned out
Adam: That was so funny Yeah Which one was funnier? Shark Khan? Like well He's a good actor He's a decent actor So I think it's It has to be With the director To make A good comedy Using him I mean the Jim Carrey Comparisons I mean That's a stretch
Khilli: But are they saying That
Adam: he's
Winnie: trying to
Adam: be Or that he is That
Winnie: he's trying Like Jim Carrey Kind of comedy where it's in your face, it's straightforward it's like kind of what Nikki called Thai comedy it's just for the gags and so this one review from probably the most critical review who gave it 1 out of 5 stars My Yang Shakar of Dainik Baksar I don't know if you know this Kili
Adam: you've paid
Winnie: for the ticket, yes now just sit back and suffer Shara Khan yelps and squeaks and shrieks and bears fangs and pouts and, well, exhausts himself overcompensating at every step, despite nobody else in the film following this template. Wow. Yeah, I mean,
Nicky: that's true. I find that a little too brutal.
Winnie: But, you know, but we had the same sentiment while watching the movie, right? We were like, why is he being so whiny? Like, what's going on
Adam: here? He feels out of place. It does feel like a Thai Looney Tunes film.
Winnie: yeah sorry i mean
Adam: indian and feel like an indian looney tunes film right and
Winnie: you have that comedy that is like kind of caricature almost right which yeah i mean i also add still
Adam: visual appeal of it referencing a lot of bollywood films like we already seen that like bollywood film does that right so it's referencing every time his previous films other people's like famous films and like famous scenes all the time and making fun of that but yet kind of trying to keep some grounded story around the thing. So, yeah. But with the Looney Tunes, you have, like, Bugs Bunny kind of driving the whole thing, being like...
Winnie: Shark Khan is Bugs Bunny. No, but he's not. This is my problem.
Khilli: Because he's,
Adam: like, winking to the audience. He's being like, hey, I'm a stinker. You know, Bugs Bunny is in control. But in this... Shah Rukh Khan is not in control at any point really in the movie.
Winnie: So you're just watching
Adam: a guy floundering the whole
Winnie: time. And I think that's why Deepika is seen to really have shined in this movie. Because you can almost see her kind of steering the plot in a way. And being the one who puts Shah Rukh Khan's character in check.
Adam: So maybe
Winnie: she shines a bit more. It's true. And it makes him look
Adam: even worse than a 20-year-old.
Winnie: Is being more
Adam: emotionally intelligent than this 40-year-old man.
Winnie: Yeah.
Adam: Yeah.
Winnie: And because this movie was such a big hit in the West, I do want to read a review from New York Times, right? It gained so much traction in the West as well. So Rachel Salts of the New York Times actually make the effort to review it. I don't know if she's ever watched any other Bollywood movies before, but she wrote, But she wrote, But the movie chugs along for most of its two hours and 20 minutes searching for comedy and characters in a frantically over plotted story. Which I think is a bit accurate, right?
Nicky: I wouldn't say it chugged along.
Winnie: I felt like
Nicky: I was thoroughly amused.
Adam: even
Winnie: during the intermission slapstick humor
Adam: when the intermission hit we were I was like we could have wrapped it up by now yeah
Winnie: yeah it felt
Adam: like a second story
Winnie: yeah I like the movie it was engaging but it definitely felt stretched out
Adam: and another thing is like so this is one of the Bollywood films like that's Bollywood is kind of popular in northern New
Khilli: York
Adam: india right so it's kind of addressing and involving chennai south india like
Khilli: yes tamil is
Adam: like tamil has a huge political history of like you know fighting against hindi imposition in india like which is happening right now as well again so they they don't despise hindi culture but like they are like actively politically fighting against like the hindi imposition in all across India. So this is like, okay, the industry is from the heartland of Hindi language, the Bollywood industry, right? It's because it's Hindi films. And then they are kind of going in Chennai and in its territory. And it treats Tamil... the way Hollywood treats India, like,
Khilli: you know, like,
Adam: typical those, oh, okay, like, Indian stuff, say, speak English, like, like, so, and then, like, with the head bubble and stuff, like, that's how, like, Bollywood portrays Indians, right? So, please break this down for me, because watching this as a foreigner, I did not know what languages anyone was speaking, and I
Khilli: didn't know what any of the stereotypes were.
Adam: So, the whole gag was... that they're speaking Tamil and he's speaking Hindi and no one understands each other. That's why all the misunderstanding miscommunication happening, right? And that's why they were like doing everything. So why... so okay, when we talk about the plot, I'll go in detail more, but like overall... So Deepika is from... Deepika's character is from Chennai, right? But her Tamil is like bad. It's not proper.
Khilli: And she
Adam: speaks, when she speaks Hindi or English, she brings in this fake accent that Northern Indian people think that Tamils have.
Winnie: Very stereotypical. Yeah. So
Adam: it's like, oh, you will do it. Like, people don't speak like that, but it's like, yeah, she brings that aesthetic to the on the plate. So that's what keeps on happening.
Winnie: She was also criticized for her fake Hindi accent. Yeah, yeah. That's what I'm saying. Right. When she's
Adam: speaking Hindi, she's using those, oh, that's how Tamils might speak Hindi if they speak Hindi.
Khilli: Mm-mm.
Adam: It's like Yeah That's the thing I'm saying Like how Hollywood Does to like The Indian Oh Maybe that So She speaks Hindi Properly in real life Like Indian actors Like Indian ethnicity actors In Hollywood Speaks English properly In their real life
Khilli: Right When they're asked To do the Indian accent
Adam: Yeah
Winnie: So this
Adam: is like, she's doing the Tamil accent of
Winnie: Hindi. Yeah, yeah. There was definitely a lot of criticism about the
Adam: movie, like
Khilli: being very incisive
Adam: of South Indian
Winnie: culture. But to be honest,
Adam: like stereotyping is a part and parcel in India. like all the film industry it's not only Bollywood but Bollywood is the big one because that's why people can attack it more but all other industry also like it's not very sensitive to us
Nicky: I mean look at Happy New Year North Koreans are kind of like portrayed as like Chinese-y
Adam: little
Winnie: people I mean
Adam: that has zero grasp on reality with that one so
Winnie: what were your all I mean we heard the critics' thoughts what were your all-over thoughts so actually I'm gonna go with
Nicky: Adam I mean like as a foreigner who's not Indian and
Winnie: It was hard to tell
Nicky: what languages were they saying, what, like, the dialects or
Khilli: the accents. But you understood
Adam: that they don't understand each other, right? I got that
Nicky: a little later, but then I had to ask Keely, like, oh, so are they not speaking the same language?
Adam: For
Nicky: me, I couldn't pick that up. It's a weird movie
Adam: to be an international hit because it depends on you knowing these cultural differences. And for us, it's all English subtitles.
Khilli: I
Adam: have no idea... That they're speaking different languages. So like oh, that's a big part of the movie that's missing for me is Tamil and Hindi similar. No, no, no, they're totally completely different. They don't share
Khilli: words or anything They
Adam: are similar vocabularies, but it would sound so different that you wouldn't even able to pick up that they said that those words They might have some sort but in language group they fall totally under different language group like one is Indo European language group and one is Diverian language group is
Winnie: One different language group Akili just told me Dada means
Adam: Brother No that's in my language That's Bengali That's not Tamil
Winnie: It's okay
Khilli: Was
Adam: Were Tamil people Angry about this film? Was there any anger Or racism? They never give a Flying fuck about the film much because they don't watch like most of the time is they don't watch Bollywood film that that well so they're not like but it's still a huge hit no I mean so whenever I talked spoke to my most of my friends they were like oh I never watched it and also people who watched it they're like okay it's fine I mean it's not portraying us properly
Winnie: Bollywood
Adam: does
Khilli: that all the time
Winnie: Times of India
Khilli: actually criticized
Winnie: they said the movie had too much Tamil for it to be qualified as a Bollywood film which makes it very difficult for Indians to watch it without subtitles like subtitles is a must no matter where you're from in India right but
Adam: there
Khilli: is
Adam: one point like so I was already always thinking that okay he doesn't speak English because he's like a sweet seller. He might not know English, but towards the end of the film, he speaks in proper English, like a few sentences with the proper accent. I'm like, okay, like, that could have solved the whole plot. Like, if you were just speaking English in Tamil Nadu, like, because, like, most of the people are like,
Winnie: like,
Adam: Looks like they would understand English. Like at least the father of the...
Winnie: The
Adam: father of Deepika would understand English.
Winnie: But I'm glad that this movie was such a big hit internationally. Because I think people outside of India tend to think India is just this one country. Same ethnicity. You know, same culture. Same language. Everything. But there's over a hundred different languages. Probably even more, right? It's such a diverse land.
Adam: 23 official languages. Right, right.
Winnie: So I think this movie at least might help raise awareness on this thing of like, yes, we can be from India, but if we're from the north or south, there's already such a big cultural barrier, a
Nicky: language barrier,
Winnie: all these things.
Nicky: I just think that maybe it might have helped if the subtitles did specify which language they were talking
Winnie: about. Yeah, for like a lot. Yeah,
Adam: for sure.
Khilli: It's
Winnie: a good thing we have Kili to always be the one like providing us context in these movies. Else we'd be lost. I thought the
Adam: movie was okay. I just... I thought Shaiwakhan was very weak in this. Like, I thought he was not a leading man in this. Like, look, even if Jim Carrey's in a comedy, he still has, like, a leading man quality. And Shaiwakhan's like... has that capability but he just is so bumbling and weak and annoying in this that like i just didn't really care or understand why deepika was into him at all it
Winnie: is very i couldn't follow it it's very difficult to think this is the same man that played joan
Adam: right we're so
Winnie: used to watching charlie khan play like this superhero, unbreakable kind of role. So it was nice to see him being a little wuss.
Adam: Or like charismatic or funny or he's like super powerful. But this one, he's like out of his element the entire time. He always makes the wrong decision.
Winnie: And he's kind of a selfish asshole. He's
Adam: a horrible person. He's not nice.
Winnie: Yeah.
Adam: He like lies to his grandma and... He,
Nicky: like...
Winnie: Ditched his plans.
Adam: Yeah, he, like, he promises he's gonna fling his grandpa's ashes somewhere, but all he wants to do is go south with his two buddies and, like, party.
Winnie: Oh, he wants to go to Goa, right? That's the thing.
Adam: So,
Winnie: actually, with that, let's get right to the
Nicky: plot. Yeah. Well, the first thing I wanted to mention was that, you know... The movie apparently seems to pay tribute to a lot of like old movies. Yeah,
Khilli: yeah, yeah. So like the one
Nicky: scene that you know both Winnie and Keely were pointing out was that there was a train scene which was like a spoof of this film DDLJ. I don't know how to pronounce it. DIL. That's it. It starred like Shahrukh Khan and Kajol in that one. Yeah.
Adam: And apparently
Nicky: this is an iconic scene. But I haven't seen it. Okay, so in the
Adam: final scene, it's like when the... So that's a very... It's a rom-com drama, like when the final... At the end, the hero and the heroine gets together. That's the scene where, like, the Shah Rukh Khan is already leaving the town on the train. And Kajol runs after him. So the train has already started. So Shah Rukh Khan lends the hand and grabs her to the train. So that's the final scene where, like, the hero and heroine meets... with each other
Khilli: very iconic that's a very iconic
Adam: scene so they do that with Deepika and then three other men he even does the does the joke like oh I have done this many times
Nicky: I'll admit it was kind of funny when Keely explained it as it was happening
Adam: yeah that was a really funny one I didn't think it was kind of funny and it was the same
Winnie: theme song again if
Adam: you reference a better film I would just be thinking about Kajul the whole time and how much I wish it was
Winnie: Kajul in this film Adam and Nikki are both big fans of
Khilli: Kajul I want Kajul inserted
Adam: into any movie just replace Deepika it's okay I love Deepika too
Winnie: Deepika is definitely one of the hottest now
Adam: she's very very pretty the comedy
Nicky: let's touch upon the comedy first because I think that's very important so yeah we had the train scene in the beginning where Shah Rukh Khan missed the platform But because he had to help You know The Deepika And those men And then like You have this like Extended scene Where he's kind of like Confronting Confronting these men About You know What's happening And like You know You have this whole Drawn out comedy scene Where he wants to like complain to them but they know these men were like seen as dangerous and then you see like Shah Rukh Khan uh going back to being a wuss
Khilli: and like
Nicky: like there's a lot of comedic elements like where he like moves into like the upper bunk of the train or something and then like
Khilli: he makes
Nicky: a lot of like you know whiny noises like like what Adam said he's
Adam: scared the whole time of everything
Winnie: but like comically scared I
Nicky: can imagine that maybe maybe it would be funny if I really understood what he's saying but to me it just kind of felt like
Adam: was it cool though this is why I keep asking if it's cool like he's not cool in this he's not cool but he's being him being a scared man is
Khilli: kind of is it funny
Adam: yeah I mean
Khilli: was
Adam: it funny that they so I kind of liked it because in Hollywood in Bollywood films like we always expect the hero to like always fight the bad guys right
Khilli: right up
Adam: front Speaking of the film. Right off the bat. Okay. And be like very assertive and stuff like that. But here he was kind of trying to portray that he's very assertive and very ballsy guy to stand up to them. But in reality, he's not.
Khilli: And that
Adam: was coming out as a comedy. So I kind of like that. And briefly, what is his job? Nikki at the start said he was a sweet seller. And he's referenced like that throughout as like a demeaning
Khilli: kind of pejorative.
Adam: Like you're like a...
Nicky: But he
Adam: seems very well off. I had to look it up It was a middle class thing
Nicky: Yeah I think
Adam: it's similar to like Those What film were you watching? Like where the middle class people Were like Look very rich The last movie we watched The
Khilli: Nadania
Adam: Yeah
Winnie: So
Adam: So it's the same thing, right? But he's supposed to be like a street seller.
Winnie: Well, when you say Halawai, you would imagine somebody who literally stands in the street with
Khilli: a little stall and sells. But he has a proper shop. That's
Winnie: shown in the beginning. He has like a shop that I think is passed on from his family,
Khilli: right? So
Winnie: it's not like street seller. He's a bakery owner, you can say. Yeah.
Khilli: So he has
Adam: a proper shop, but... I think Halwai used to be like, you know, those kind of comic relief actors in like older drama kind of stuff. So that's why I think the angle of the character, like so when you associate the Halwai, like the sweet seller to a man, you cannot imagine that character to be a masochistic
Khilli: yeah yeah
Winnie: like
Adam: a alpha male
Khilli: kind of dude
Adam: so you kind of associate that as a comedy like a funny guy like you know like who can be part of the joke
Khilli: and that's what he's trying to portray in the movie so that's
Adam: what so associate associating halwa i think is kind of bring that aspect to his character that okay he's not like a macho man he's like a sweet seller because he doesn't stop bragging about his 35 000 rupee nokia
Khilli: well
Adam: actually
Winnie: we should talk about that because in the beginning of the movie there were like
Khilli: probably almost
Winnie: a minute of sponsors and
Khilli: sponsors right and
Winnie: like throughout the movie we were just talking about all the ads that popped up nokia being one of them pepsi another one
Nicky: there's so many
Khilli: the
Nicky: videocon tv Yeah, that was a
Winnie: lot of that. Half of
Nicky: it's a commercial. But the way he, like, talks about the phone, my God, man, it is, like, the most
Khilli: commercial-laden... Even the phone
Adam: had such a nice product shot, like, when it's thrown... Okay, Nikki, look at this.
Nicky: Yeah, what happened to this phone? Yeah, like, it was during the comedy scene, like, the whole train banter between him and the captors. Basically, he, like... took out this phone and we get this shot. It was a commercial.
Adam: It's like something out of a
Nicky: commercial. This is so
Adam: funny because... Okay, okay. Movies take years to make. And then they come out, right? And phones get released every year. So the amount of money they... spend to advertise this one model of Nokia cell phone and they probably went bankrupt the next year because like Nokia was like going down the drain like how many people do they think would buy that phone model based off because like you see movies we're seeing it now like 20 years later 10 years later but like I just don't think advertising a phone is smart because that has like a year of shelf life it's like associating your brand name with with the huge hit film is
Khilli: also a thing
Adam: but it's for the model they were he was advertising that specific Lumia model the Windows OS Nokia Lumia model I was a fan of Nokia I think everyone was it one point no Nokia even Lumia I was a big fan I just miss Snake
Winnie: I miss playing the Snake
Khilli: game on Nokia right
Winnie: there's so many Snake games on like the app store for iPhones but it's not the same
Khilli: golden era of Nokia yeah I do like
Adam: the diminishing period like when they made the smartphone Lumia.
Winnie: I just like being able to throw it against the wall and nothing happens because it's
Adam: indestructible. And the battery lasts for a week. Right. I think that's what they were kind of shown in the... I was expecting that kind of product ad in the app
Khilli: Sorry I have to play Snake for a second It's
Adam: on the Railway station And their friends are calling for a week And it's still running on battery
Khilli: I was expecting that kind of an
Adam: ad
Nicky: That would have been smarter But instead the
Winnie: South Indian gang Just threw it out the train
Nicky: R
Winnie: .I.P. Nokia
Nicky: Yeah And then he also They also threw out That man The train ticket guy
Khilli: Ticket ticket
Winnie: I don't know That was funny I don't know You guys Well obviously I find it funny They did just
Nicky: Toss him in the river
Adam: They just tossed
Nicky: him To show him Who's business I guess
Adam: I think That's the reason Why they captured Shah Rukh Khan As well Because he's The I mean, he's the witness of what they did to the ticket checker guy.
Winnie: Yeah, exactly. That's the
Adam: main plot point that why they carried Shah Rukh Khan back to their village.
Winnie: Basically, the train guy met the same fate as the Nokia. They both got thrown out the train. That's crazy. Yeah.
Adam: I was looking at pictures of behind the scenes footage and the Shah Rukh Khan on the train part... is all on green screen.
Winnie: Yes.
Khilli: But like even
Adam: outside the train, he's like, you know, grabbing her hand and stuff. And my friend asked like, why don't they just film in a real train station? And you said, because he's like too big of a star or something. I think it would be like almost a very huge production to like
Winnie: pull off
Adam: with him in a very
Winnie: big movie. It would have to be hired actors. They would not be able to pull it off with commoners. I don't
Khilli: think it would have to be a whole set.
Adam: The logistics of carrying such a big star to execute the shoot in a railway station. Because in a railway station you have to block a busy railway station. station to pull it out
Winnie: yeah but
Adam: people have done that before
Winnie: it's such a missed opportunity though because chaya chaya chaya was also shaharakan
Adam: on a train real train on top of a real train and so they should have done this
Winnie: with the movie they made all these references to past movies and they missed out on that one i'm really glad
Adam: that they didn't refer to that because that's
Winnie: really
Adam: i love that that song and then that film
Khilli: yeah in
Winnie: the 90s there was another big
Adam: hit what
Winnie: was it 2000s okay big hit with Shara Khan on the train and a famous song
Adam: how do they now reference that then that's
Winnie: the thing right they reference DDLJ because
Adam: he was on the top of the train
Winnie: right
Adam: but on these trains he cannot go on the top maybe maybe he could go on the top bunk and do that song
Winnie: with the urn with his grandfather's ashes yeah So how did the journey To his grandfather's ashes Another
Nicky: thing I still need to point out It's like The thing that we mentioned earlier Is that The use of different languages Right That is also part of the comedy Yeah
Khilli: Very big So when
Nicky: When Shah Rukh Khan meets Like D They're like singing all these songs And I later found out They're actually parodies
Khilli: Of all those songs Never would have picked up I didn't know that at all Yeah, I would not have picked that up So
Adam: what they were doing Is like they were singing So that the people Her captors Or her father's goon Think that they're just singing singing songs, but what they were doing is like they were putting on the message in the song in Hindi so that they can communicate about what to do about the situation. And while the other guys, the other Tamil guys, the goons, thinks that they are just singing songs. So
Khilli: that's what they did.
Adam: To be honest, the funny thing, like one of my friend, like Russian friend, Nastia, like she was saying that one of the guy, one of her friends from Indian film industry, like they were saying that, okay, they used to do that kind of thing in Bollywood film when... during british period like they would put a lot of messages like cryptic messages and stuff in in in in songs and she was asking me like do you know about this i was like no i don't know she couldn't explain me properly but she was asking me that and then i just i just remember and then they roe chatti uses that thing in the film i don't know if they are connected or then they're just by chance no i highly doubt it it's just a funny bit yeah but i think like that's what they were doing like they were just trying to sing songs so that's why they were using like popular songs so that like the people think like
Khilli: oh they're just singing the songs we just didn't know it's
Adam: popular songs i thought we thought i thought they were making them up as they went along no no they were always singing like popular songs and many times many times the songs from their own films
Nicky: So yeah, that was another thing that I guess would have flew over our heads as
Khilli: international
Winnie: viewers.
Adam: I also didn't know it took place in India. It would have been nice if someone told me.
Winnie: I mean, it's called Chennai
Nicky: Express.
Adam: Well, you know, I don't know. I don't
Nicky: know what those words mean. He didn't know the name of his mom or something. I don't know. Okay, so... You know, another thing that Adam mentioned that I think deserves a mention is that there is a lot of moments that you can tell is green screened.
Khilli: When they're
Nicky: traveling in a car, when they're like, like Adam said, when they're on the train. And there's also a lot of use of transitions.
Khilli: Yeah. Like
Nicky: that's one thing that I noticed a lot that I just felt the need to mention it now. And then, you know, like remember in the opening shot where there's like a CGI mansion and then like it zooms in around.
Adam: Oh yeah, I was getting nauseated. It feels like the guy watched Fight Club and he just wanted to be David Fincher and do all these one shots with CGI. CG and stuff.
Winnie: There were actual scenes where it just looked like the whole scenery was animation.
Adam: Like,
Khilli: full-on animation. Yeah.
Adam: Yeah, I have seen that aesthetic in this guy's film a lot.
Khilli: Oh, his Shati.
Adam: Where he kind of tries to make, like, a very cartoony feel to the land he's, like... the set sometimes it's work sometimes it's just a mishmash of like being realistic and like those animation like back like side by side doesn't match together so what what do you guys feel in this film like was it that that that aesthetic
Winnie: was I feel like Bollywood just goes to extreme. You have movies where they're flying to Switzerland, New Zealand, just to take videos for one
Khilli: song. And then you
Winnie: have full-on movies where they're just using CGI to make it look animated. I don't know why there can't be a middle ground.
Adam: It's really funny that they're like, this is a train in India. We need to green screen this. But the other movie is like, we're going to fly to New Zealand for this one shot at the park. Yeah. I love the spot where they stop the train to get down because there was no station where her
Khilli: village is, right? Oh yeah, the waterfall. That
Adam: was a really
Khilli: nice
Winnie: spot. Oh, actually that's a pretty big scene, right? I don't think that's a green
Adam: screen. I think that's a real place and real shot.
Winnie: Yeah, so what happens at the waterfall? The waterfall,
Nicky: so like, you know, because Shah Rukh Khan misses his stop, he decides to go. to tag along with Deepika and the
Adam: four
Nicky: henchmen. And they stop by this spot where they're like... They meet the girl's father, and he's like this mafia kingpin kind of guy. And she tells him, you know, Deepika's character tells him that this is her new lover. She was just, you know, escaping the forced marriage to get with shahru khan and again this is what ensues is that the whole comedy bit is that like shahru khan does not it does not have a a good understanding of the tamil language so he gets into a lot of like misunderstanding Like the guy that he has to duel with, he agrees to a duel with the soon-to-be-husband, right? And then there's also like, you know, while that was happening, right? Shah Rukh Khan needs to concoct an escape plan. And I think one of the scenes that gave me a good laugh was like the one where he writes the note, meet me at the storeroom.
Khilli: Yeah. That was a good gag. That
Adam: was a good
Nicky: gag, you know, because like you get this whole misunderstanding between characters picking up the notes. And it's done in a very like smooth comedic way that I, you know, I'll admit that was pretty. nice
Adam: explain the gag explain it's funny it's
Nicky: like he writes meet me in the storeroom but then like he throws he tries to throw shark kind of tries to throw the note to deepika but then it lands somewhere else for like some other woman picks it up and then when she picks it up and reads the note like she just looks up and sees that whatever the person she sees she thinks that that's the guy that threw the note so like for this this girl with the glasses this case she was looking at one of the henchmen and then like you get this like comedic moment where they she looks at him like lovingly and he looks back and they think she believes that he he sent her the note but then like uh i think someone bumps into her or something where she she throws away the note basically just
Adam: like they keep reading it and then like winking at the person and then they themselves crumple it up and toss it for some reason and
Nicky: then someone else picks
Adam: it up and thinks it's for them
Nicky: yeah and then like Adam was saying you know it would be so funny if they all ended up in the storeroom and they actually
Adam: did so it
Nicky: paid off we thought they were
Adam: going to just leave it but they all show up in the storeroom for a big suck and fuck orgy that
Nicky: wasn't expected but it was so funny they ended up there and then they realized it was a misunderstanding and then they just leave like there was
Adam: no consequence to that it was just all done
Nicky: because it happens
Adam: all the time in that village everyone always meets up in the storeroom for the weekly orgy
Nicky: laughing yeah that's that but yeah he back to the plot like Shah Rukh Khan agrees to duel right but then like in order to prove that he's like the future husband like I think he he engages in a lot of drinking the night before
Khilli: the duel every fucking
Adam: sorry every Shah Rukh Khan movie has a fake drunk scene
Winnie: Dave does yeah that's true and happy
Adam: new year And every single thing we've seen, there's always a really over-the-top fake drunk scene. I think he's just... Before the fight, they bring some woman to dance. Which is not at all common. I haven't seen that kind of dance
Winnie: in Tamil reference
Khilli: at all. At
Winnie: first, I thought it was Deepika. It took me a while
Adam: to realize it's not
Khilli: her. This
Adam: is very
Winnie: common in
Adam: Hindi films. They call it item number. like where where like a sexy woman like dances
Khilli: yeah that is true amongst the
Adam: men and stuff like that it keeps on happening well it's the woman's fault that the guy is looking but like
Khilli: yeah in this
Adam: here like
Khilli: he's doing
Adam: it and I think Shah Rukh Khan gets drunk because at that point he's not still in love with Deepika he just gets horny about that girl woman, I guess. Yeah, he gets very drunk and horny because this girl's dancing. Wait,
Khilli: I don't
Adam: think
Winnie: there was any chemistry between them. I feel like it was just a filler scene, right?
Adam: He's just drinking because he has
Winnie: a face-off, a fight with the to-be
Adam: -husband of Deepika. No, he was supposed to fly, like, he was supposed to run away with Deepika, not fight. That's
Khilli: not the point. That was
Winnie: their plan. Oh, yeah, yeah. He was just having fun. Shurkan likes to dance. Let the man dance. Yeah, and he
Adam: started drinking and dancing and
Khilli: totally forgetting about the
Winnie: plan
Adam: they chalked out and then...
Winnie: I mean it kind of adds up to all his like character traits Right he's just dumb Not strategic
Adam: Yeah he keeps getting
Winnie: into
Adam: situations That he causes He causes all these problems for himself Because he's stupid
Winnie: And then he blames Deepika for it
Adam: And then
Winnie: like runs back to her And then she likes him This is
Adam: my issue She's like I want to marry you Even though like you make life bad For me Life sucks She wants him to make him into a better person person. So it's up to the 20 year old to make the older man a better
Khilli: person? I can fix it. What are you
Adam: referencing? Who's 20
Winnie: here? What are you referencing to Adam?
Adam: I'm not referencing anything I know. I'm just saying is that a normal thing? I don't know. Can that happen? What a sleep
Winnie: totally asleep huh so like
Nicky: yeah right Kili said that like he was supposed to run away with Deepika right but the night before he gets super drunk with this woman dancer
Khilli: yeah that
Nicky: we all thought was Deepika but apparently some cameo that I I didn't catch her name I don't know if you know
Khilli: but like what do you guys think
Nicky: about that song that song you said it was a hit right do you
Adam: remember the song
Nicky: I
Adam: think it was kind of more or less the songs of this film what was the
Winnie: song is that Lungi Lungi Dance no no Lungi Dance was
Adam: the title track at the end
Khilli: do you remember the song no
Adam: but I when I listen to it I remember one two three four get on the dance
Khilli: floor one two
Winnie: three four get on the
Khilli: dance floor that song
Adam: used to irritate me a lot when I was around that area around those years because they used to play that song like in loud volume everywhere and I used to get
Nicky: so pissed Big
Winnie: wedding song too So yeah
Nicky: He gets fake drunk And he like Makes an ass Makes an ass of himself In front of everybody As one would Wow Every single scene And then like He runs You get like this chase scene Where he like Runs off a motorbike And like Doing all these crazy stunts Out of the blue Which was kind of funny But he meets like He enlists the help of this Punjabi guy
Adam: Yeah So he He runs away with like like, showing massive, like, motorbike skills and then he just falls up side of
Khilli: the
Nicky: screen. That was weird.
Adam: After a while. Like, he just, just crashes.
Nicky: Yeah, so in this movie, Shah Rukh Khan has moments of, like, goofiness and then he'll be, like, a badass for, like, four to five minutes whenever he's
Winnie: on wheels like every time he's on a bike or in a car he actually turns into a badass
Nicky: and also the final fight scene
Winnie: yeah but on feet he's
Nicky: oh yeah
Khilli: the final fight scene
Nicky: becomes a heroic superhero action
Adam: star
Winnie: Jawan is
Khilli: born which we call Jawan's
Nicky: origin story yeah
Adam: You're right. He is like fast and furious. Like it's only in a car that he can do anything. Yeah, so his Punjabi Buddhist friend? Yeah, actually, who
Winnie: introduces himself by saying, Which, according
Nicky: to Winnie, is like a very like stereotypical thing for a Punjabi man. So that's what this
Adam: film does. It stereotypes
Khilli: every other ethnicity
Adam: in India. Like, so it... it like stereotypes the Punjabis stereotypes the Tamers like
Winnie: ballet is a type of dance that Punjabis do but I can assure
Adam: you I don't think most Punjabis
Winnie: are going around saying hi you know my name is Sing Sing whatever ballet ballet
Khilli: like that's
Winnie: not part of the normal
Adam: introduction
Khilli: for Punjabis
Adam: - It's just the weirdest thing. - It's like when Michael Jackson did that doesn't matter if you're black and white and it's just a whole music video of stereotypes that are really
Khilli: offensive on the screen.
Adam: Like anytime someone tries to be like culturally accepting, they tend to be the most offensive. So this is like It's a small world in India
Nicky: It's a small world But then like The Punjabi guy Helps Shahrukh Khan Into like a boat Or
Khilli: something And then he ends
Nicky: up In international waters
Khilli: Sri Lanka smuggling Sri Lankan
Winnie: The
Nicky: Sri Lankan army Like arrest him I'm
Khilli: the captain now
Adam: Indian
Winnie: area. He was trying to prove he's Indian, not Sri Lankan.
Adam: Is
Nicky: that
Winnie: a weird... Is that another stereotype? They were Sri Lankan smugglers.
Khilli: Pirates, right? They were like pirates
Winnie: or something.
Adam: They were not... It was not explicit whether they were Sri Lankans or Indians. They were just saying that they were going to Sri Lanka to
Khilli: buy diesel. Yeah. Like
Adam: diesel, like, yeah, fuel. And then come back to India to sell it. Because, like, maybe it was... cheaper in Sri Lanka so that's what they're smuggling
Khilli: so
Adam: yeah so yeah and Shahrukh strives to prove when confronted with the police that like he's not part of them he's an Indian like a patriotic
Nicky: Indian
Adam: and stuff like that yeah he starts doing weird racist stereotypes in front of the police see i'm not like that i'm like this i don't have
Khilli: squinty eyes i'm not dark skin
Adam: look at my white indian
Khilli: skin
Adam: there
Nicky: was a scene where they like stopped by like this really green foresty area
Khilli: and
Nicky: then they lose the car right like the car in the lake you Remember that?
Adam: And another car explodes. I got time.
Nicky: There was also, yeah, the action scenes are so... They had to have a car
Adam: explosion for the trailer, so it had to
Nicky: occur in the movie,
Adam: but there's no reason for it. They're like just driving down a muddy
Khilli: road.
Nicky: So you get this weird scene where they, Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika are arguing, and then like they go their separate ways. for a while and i'm gonna mention this next scene where you know it kind of stuck out like a sore thumb but i'm gonna try my best to imitate it but like he meets a certain character and he goes something like yeah yeah like what's up with that who's that dwarf character what is the point
Adam: of that i don't i don't understand it just raises so many questions
Khilli: it
Adam: was like a munchkin land thing
Winnie: that character have you guys watched harold and kumar The kid in the basement?
Adam: Yeah, was that a reference? He just reminded me of that
Winnie: kid in the basement who is the product of an incest couple.
Adam: Holy lord. He just
Winnie: didn't get so hard.
Adam: Well, it was like, look how genetically fucked up these southern towns people are, but we can still be friends with them.
Winnie: And they
Khilli: just
Winnie: go live in a forest. It's kind of giving me weird vibes.
Adam: Look at these, look at these, like... yeah I thought it's like spirited away forest creature I thought it's like God in disguise time like you know later it will come into play like the character will come save or something
Winnie: nothing it's a cheap laugh cheap laugh attempt that's all yeah
Nicky: and then like Shah Rukh Khan just goes back to the spot where he separated with Deepika and then they continue their adventure together so he meets
Adam: this truck driver who says like the whole
Khilli: southern
Adam: India is like looking for
Khilli: you because of this
Adam: one thing he did in this village and then that's why he's like he goes back to Deepika for this and he's like okay only you can help me
Winnie: so after like accusing of Deepika for being the source of his problem so many times
Khilli: saying that
Winnie: anytime she's involved it makes his life a whole disaster he still keeps going back back to her. Yeah. Over and over again. And she keeps taking him back over and over again.
Nicky: Yeah. Willingly. Willingly. So then they walk together and they stumble upon this village where I don't know who are those people, but... but Deepika manages to tell them that they're a married couple and that's where they laid low for the time being and then you get like I guess we all have this iconic scene you know we were all talking about it it's where they were like to prove that he can take care of Deepika for all of their lives like Shah Rukh Khan has to like go to this shrine that has like 300 like it's like a long flights of stairs it's like
Khilli: 300 steps and
Nicky: he has to like carry her up there to prove her love prove their love
Adam: or something it's supposed to be a normal ritual she says we're like this is what the town does all the guys carry a woman up like 300 stairs getting like like absolutely bonkers horny while being the while sharukhan
Winnie: yeah that's a scene where like you can see she visibly falls in love with him she gets horny
Adam: i guess it's all the pheromones of his sweat and he puts the thing on her forehead the
Winnie: the the the sindhu
Adam: the vermilion that's like uh that's at the top that's which like a
Nicky: sign of like a marriage she's
Winnie: in love Or lust.
Adam: Yeah, I think both.
Nicky: All favor and horniness? Aye, okay. A gender
Winnie: divide. How surprising. You have to go there, Winnie. No,
Adam: Winnie's right. She learned a lot about his personality during the flight of stairs walk. All right.
Winnie: Well, apparently there were no fear of stairs in this movie. 300 stairs. Ooh, nobody
Khilli: died of that. Hell yeah.
Adam: You could have dropped
Nicky: her. She said it. She said the thing. Okay. So anyway, the... Deepika's family manages to catch up to them To this village I don't know how
Winnie: It's also worth mentioning that he had the ability to go anywhere else They were going to go to Mumbai or other places But
Khilli: she
Winnie: falls asleep And he intentionally drives them back to the village
Khilli: Just to get her family's
Adam: approval Yeah, the point is He's like, okay, how long are you going to run away from your father?
Winnie: Let's face it and then let's do...
Adam: Let's do the right thing.
Winnie: So you can see character development here. Yeah, he has an
Adam: arc. He starts confronting things. It's just he's like 40.
Winnie: 50, actually. Yeah, so it's
Adam: like, dude, I don't know, man. Congrats that you learned it now. But I
Khilli: don't know.
Adam: So after that... After that It's still like Okay There's a fight And the father is like
Khilli: Impressed Holding
Adam: Deepika's hand All the time That she cannot go And save The guy And Yeah Nikki talk about the duel That finally happens With the Thangabali The big guy Yeah
Nicky: so it's like It's not just I guess it's like You know It's a glorified Like fight scene right
Adam: Yeah It's like the whole
Nicky: The whole fight scene Is meant to like Show that You know he Shao Kahn would do anything to prove his love for her
Khilli: and it was
Nicky: like the speech that Keeley mentioned it was more like you know you never listen to your daughter or whatever and then like
Khilli: you know he's defending
Nicky: her honor that's basically and it's like all of this is just basically you know it's your typical romance film.
Adam: The funniest thing is, like, he says all these things, and at the end, like, okay, how to prove your worth is, like, fighting other men. It was a very macho
Khilli: thing. Like, you have to be
Adam: masculine macho to win over the girl, but, like, you know, at the end, like, at the end, that's the thing.
Khilli: But in between,
Adam: you address so many,
Khilli: like, patriarchal
Adam: issues and stuff like that and go back to the... He says like You need to listen to your daughter She needs to be free Now I'm gonna fight this guy And whoever wins Gets to fuck her
Winnie: Actually you guys are so right I didn't see it in this way at all It's so paradoxical When you put it like that
Adam: They don't ask her anything He's talking to the dad about her
Winnie: And saying how the
Adam: dad should treat her
Winnie: He doesn't even ask her About bringing her back to the village Which she didn't want to do at all So yeah He surprises
Adam: her She's like This is what we're doing I need to ask your dad And then I gotta fight this guy To take you It's like address
Winnie: patriarchy only when it can get the man's respect. So you're still giving into patriarchy. It kind of threw me
Nicky: off when like he kind of like the father just goes up to Shah Rukh Khan. He's like, you win. You are a real man. While he's
Winnie: bloody and completely tattered because he was just in a massive fight.
Nicky: Yeah, that's
Adam: the only way. Like, it's like, oh,
Winnie: no, no, you love
Adam: my girl, you can't have her. Like, no, no, not that. Like, oh, you are a fighter. You could beat that stupid huge guy.
Nicky: Yeah, the huge guy didn't even, like, put up a fight or anything. He's just like, I respect you. everyone went
Adam: to like suck his dick
Nicky: everyone wanted to suck because he knows they
Adam: all like stood up to take turns and express how much they wanted to suck his dick at the end of the fight because he's such a cool big man
Nicky: guys this was like
Winnie: watching a movie with these guys Shah Rukh Khan reigns victorious And all they can talk about is everyone wanting to suck his dick
Adam: The dad is like Excuse me sir You can fuck my daughter but can I suck your dick first
Winnie: Only a true
Adam: man can do this
Winnie: So the movie ends with a bukkake
Adam: on the dad. It's called the Chennai Express. You ever heard of it? It's when they run train on the dad.
Winnie: And we see Shah Rukh Khan with
Adam: Deepika
Winnie: again in Jawan, right?
Adam: Yeah, so there is our theory, right? That this Jawan, this is like Jawan's old Shah Rukh Khan. So this is the first Indian movie that has the same actors in different movies. It's crazy. No, because they might be Because how How do you think A sweet seller Can fight that well He was always hiding His secret agent
Khilli: Yeah Identity
Adam: No you're right
Khilli: And in the whole movie Always a
Adam: secret agent And then He He was I mean Yeah Okay His front is a Sweet seller I mean his His grandpa was actually A top Top boss In in the secret agent Indian secret agency and then that's why like yeah so it's a family thing and then he can fight off the big guys so well and then he starts a family with Deepika and then everything happens like where his son becomes the superman superhero in Jawan.
Winnie: Yeah. This is Jawan is a sequel for this movie according to Kili's terms. It's airtight
Adam: and the whole time in the whole movie he keeps whispering vote harder to everyone he talks to. So it makes sense.
Nicky: Well I'm actually surprised this movie did well in the way it did like breaking box office records and
Adam: whatnot. Yeah, I don't know how that works. I have no idea. I was
Nicky: thoroughly entertained but I did think that the movie was just mid. This film was,
Adam: which year did it come out? 2013.
Winnie: 2013.
Adam: Yeah, I was of the age when I was like obnoxiously like watching only good films. Contrarian.
Winnie: You mean, I don't think you've grown out of that phase, Killy. I still want. You agree to this movie with like... I
Adam: go watch mainstream movies now just for the fun of it. Yeah, that's what they're for. Huh? That's what they're for, fun. Yeah. Yeah, but yeah, it's okay. But then like this this one I didn't watch in theater or this is the first time I'm watching this film
Winnie: yeah Khalid was not a big fan of this movie before even watching it so that tells you something about him what do you think after watching it I mean it's
Adam: okay yeah it's good it's good yeah I mean like I mean if you if you the movies we watched before like you know Kabi Kushi Kabi Gum and then what is this Nadania and then Happy New Year I mean this is classic classic more better than them yeah okay i mean yeah i thought it was mad i'm with nikki like it should not have broken these box office records there's much better films like he's been in better films yeah
Winnie: yeah i agree with adam and nikki here i feel like it was quite mid um yeah it's entertaining it's highly forgettable if you ask me but
Adam: like yeah
Winnie: but you can kind of see the appeal for of it you know like it has all that elements action drama comedy
Khilli: it blends different
Winnie: genres really well into one movie but it's nothing i'd ever watch again
Adam: all right uh good i don't know how we end this on this part yeah well
Winnie: i mean that's
Nicky: that's the episode let us know if
Winnie: you prefer this format if you found this a bit
Nicky: tighter that was the roof and
Winnie: the train scene. The DDLG.
Adam: That
Khilli: was actually
Winnie: funny. I liked
Adam: that too. Alright, tune in next week.
Winnie: Thanks. Bye.
Adam: Bye. Thank you.