Winnie: Welcome to Desi Films Decoded, the podcast where four friends from different backgrounds unlock the world of Desi cinema. I'm Winnie, the Desi who's never been to India.
Khilli: We have gone a few real stairs. You didn't say real stairs, you said Desi Films Decoded.
Winnie: I was so proud of doing it without looking at my notes app. You
Adam: just got the whole name of the podcast wrong, but everything else is spot on.
Winnie: - Welcome to Fear of Sairs, Desi Films Decoded, the podcast where four friends from different backgrounds unlock the world of Desi cinema. I'm Winnie, the Desi who's never been to India.
Khilli: Hi, I'm Killy, who admires Karan Jehor's film a lot.
Nicky: I'm Nikki. I occasionally like rom-com films.
Adam: I'm Adam, the Western film buff, and after watching this movie I learned that Mao was right and cultural revolutions are necessary sometimes.
Nicky: So today we're doing like a Netflix film of all things, which you know what that means.
Adam: High top quality, good writing, good acting, good cinematography, a lot of care being put into it.
Nicky: And that film is a very recent one called Nadania.
Adam: Nadania.
Nicky: Nadania. Yeah. It's a teen rom-com in the year 2025, which feels like a movie that was made in... 2003 Like a
Adam: She's All That era type romcom
Nicky: I'm in disbelief that such a thing exists today and I don't know about you guys but watching the movie was like eating wet cardboard it's just super but you can
Adam: get nutrients out of wet cardboard like maybe like very little but that's more than this movie maybe who's the director do you remember i don't remember
Winnie: but producer is karen joe her yeah i
Khilli: have i i have a feeling that the director was 17 when around 2002 2003 so that's that's what she remembers being seven i mean absolutely i like that you assume
Winnie: the gender the gender of the director is a woman
Khilli: I know. It is? Yeah. Yeah, it is. I forgot the name.
Nicky: Well, yeah, it's your typical... I think
Adam: they forgot they were directing a film,
Nicky: too. It's okay. It's like, this is what kids do. But yeah, this is a very forgettable rom-com. You have your usual two opposite characters getting into some... shenanigans and then them falling in love and there's your usual misunderstanding at the later part of the film. I don't know how... Well, we should
Adam: explain why we chose this movie. But before that, because we have some time, we're starting an hour late because what were you guys doing?
Nicky: Oh.
Adam: Which is nice. I don't know. We should talk about it.
Nicky: I just went to a Japanese onsen.
Adam: Okay. Just to
Nicky: relax.
Winnie: I just went to get a massage to try to cure my office syndrome back
Adam: So this is nice like this is you know, I hope that went well. How was the spa? I'm kind of envious
Nicky: Well, it got a little stressful because I knew it was running away Because you did confirm
Adam: four o'clock I think it was a whole hour late
Nicky: And then at four o'clock said
Adam: I'm leaving. I'm at the onsen right now
Nicky: I you know, I thought I had everything under control, but then my friend was in town and He's from Canada. He wanted to explore things he missed in Thailand. I thought I could squeeze in all these things before four, but then I kind of got lost in the sauna.
Adam: Wait, was there more than the onsen that you did with this guy?
Winnie: Wait, what? No, I mean, you
Adam: said he wanted to do activities and stuff.
Nicky: He wanted to go to Chinatown, but then I told him, yeah, if you didn't know, I got this podcast for... with with my few friends it was like what's about i was like it's it's on indian movies and he's like hmm yeah that's
Winnie: kind of the reaction i tend to get oh
Nicky: cool but
Winnie: honestly at this point if we say four i kind of know we're gonna start at five we're running on indian time which is i think pretty appropriate since we're doing a podcast about indian movies sure
Adam: fine i'll say three next time no i just i just want to know how the onsen went so it was
Nicky: relaxing it's not my first rodeo i mean yeah there for like a few years. Your Canadian friend
Adam: misses those?
Nicky: He's never been to a Japanese onsens of all the things. And now he's going to develop a new personality when he goes back to Toronto. He'll be like, you ever been to one of those Japanese onsens? It's a
Adam: great first date place.
Winnie: And then he's going to talk about how he only spent 20 bucks on a new one. And you could spend a whole day there.
Nicky: Is there not
Adam: onsens in, like, Toronto?
Winnie: I never saw one. I've seen New York.
Nicky: He did tell me there are, but I guess he never had, like, buddies
Adam: to go with.
Winnie: A massage, at minimum, would cost 60, 70 bucks in Rochester.
Adam: But the onsens is just hot water. And, like, for a place that snows, that would be incredible.
Nicky: Well, it's not just hot water. You have, like, a bunch of, like, pools. Like, pools that are set at different temperatures. So, like, you'll have, like, a cold bath at one end where you... like zero degrees. Why? Just to, you know, for the cold baths, it would be more like, you know, relaxing your body sort of thing. And then when you go, and then there's like the hot water, there's like a jet stream bath and then another one is like a signature bath where they throw in like all sorts of like salts and water. and nutrients and
Winnie: there's an outdoor area where you can just sit and relax under the sun there's a
Nicky: steam room yeah a tea bath a restaurant
Adam: a restaurant yeah you can
Winnie: wear a yukata and just like there's a sleeping room as well you said yukata is it correct it's correct oh yes because
Nicky: my friend was like when are we going to wear those kimonos and I'm thinking to myself I don't want to correct this man right now it's not a kimono it's a yukata
Adam: this stupid pleb doesn't know what he's talking about it's a very Japanese
Nicky: thing I guess Have
Winnie: you guys not gone to the I've gone to that
Adam: one I really like it
Winnie: Oh okay yeah So for the men's section You have to be completely naked The women's
Adam: you don't?
Winnie: No they give you like A little like a tube top Oh Yeah I mean it's still Kind of see through But you're not fully exposed Nice Yeah
Adam: Nikki was it weird Going there with your friend
Nicky: No I feel like I've seen all of my Arcadian friends
Adam: Not mine I've never been to an onsen with you Unless I'm not aware of it I've seen
Nicky: Tim I've seen Larry's You don't have to list
Adam: it
Nicky: They just got so
Adam: name blasted
Winnie: I'm just like naming people And then review each of them
Adam: You can't help
Winnie: but look
Nicky: Can I get some
Adam: dick ratings on each of them Yeah that's
Nicky: not happening You have to pay for the onsen Yeah for the Patreon You'll hear
Adam: dick ratings of our friends
Nicky: Keely you're the only one Keely and Adam's the only one left I haven't seen Fear of stairs I'll keep that as long as possible
Adam: Have you been to the onsen Keely? No never heard Yeah, we should go. We should take a field trip. I've gone
Khilli: to onsen, like a hot spring. Yeah. Not Japanese onsen, like hot
Adam: springs.
Winnie: It's a really good way to spend the entire day.
Nicky: Oh, your body just feels like it's gone through some rebirth. Refresh.
Adam: But it was crowded. It's kind of tough when it's crowded.
Winnie: Yeah, Sundays are the most crowded. but like if you can go on a weekday it's pretty good do
Adam: you get the passes like the monthly uh
Nicky: I have a monthly pass I have like a I only buy vouchers yeah which gives you like you can enter you can use them within like a six month period Yeah I
Winnie: have a whole 10 day package Oh that's right Have you used it yet? Thanks to all three of you
Adam: Have you been using it? I haven't used
Winnie: it yet But I was going to today But I had the podcast So I thought I wouldn't have enough time
Adam: Sorry But
Winnie: yeah I'm sure I'll use it When I was
Nicky: at the onsen today I was thinking I wonder when he's used it any of those options you bought her.
Winnie: - Not just yet. I've been mainly getting massages lately. Trying to fix my back.
Adam: - Is that working with the, 'cause I have office syndrome too. - Not at all.
Winnie: I mean, it helps for a few hours and then by the next day on Monday, you go back to the office and it just comes back. - You have to stretch and exercise and walk.
Khilli: - Yeah, keep on, like keep to stay, resume your workout routine.
Winnie: - Yeah, my yoga.
Adam: Everyone in America When they're like When they know that I live in Thailand Ask about You know massages and stuff And it's true I get them all the time here I never got up in America And it's It's just
Winnie: not affordable It's not
Adam: affordable It's so expensive And like luxurious Yeah Over there that you're just you just don't unless it's like yeah birthday present But here like and it's not like an elite thing like Thai people get massages all the time, too. Like it's just very Available and like and it's really nice.
Winnie: Yeah, it's like a lifestyle here. So it's accessible like
Adam: this isn't the bragging corner but we do get massages quite frequently that is like a true stereotype and it's lovely killie
Winnie: we killie got one last night he's about to go back today he just asked me it would be weird to go back two days in a row and i'm just like i'm sure he'll be flattering that's what i said
Adam: he thought it'd be weird but i thought it like that it's repeat customers they like that that's a good thing okay when i was in uh no killie what was the air when i was in veranasi i was trying to get a massage why because i was in pain dude the bed sucked okay i like i'm very sensitive
Khilli: experience i really want to know a massage experience no well it
Adam: never happened because they split it by genders they're like if you get a first of all it's very hard to get
Khilli: Yeah.
Adam: And I'm fine. I had to ask some weird drug dealing like, what's that? Oh, Lassie, you know, like the shroom Lassie guy, the weed Lassie guy. Like I was asking him and like, you know, there's people, but he's like, if you're a man, it can only be with another man. Or if it's a woman, that's with a woman. And like, I've had... in India, like when they shave you, they massage. And I've never felt so much pain when they're like hammering on your shoulders and stuff. I was just very afraid of getting like a male massage while I was there. So I just didn't. But I really wanted one because I was like in like a ton of pain from just the hard beds. And if it was Thai... But no, actually, you know where the only place I got a massage in India was? In Bodh Gaya, right? Where they have the Buddha was under the tree.
Nicky: Yeah.
Adam: There's all these different temples owned by different Buddhist countries. And they have one from Japan and Cambodia, but Thailand's the biggest. And the royal family donated a lot to that area. And the Thai temple has... massage places fuck yeah so you can go get Thai massages and stuff and you can even go and sleep there like for free if you want like the Thai pavilion is huge over there and it's really nice but yeah that was the only place I got was a Thai massage in the Thai temple yeah that's beautiful
Nicky: oh it sounds sounds like a to do with to do I have to put that on my to-do list
Adam: you
Winnie: know what else everyone has to put on their to-do list watching Nadania okay sorry
Adam: let's go on
Winnie: I
Adam: was putting it off
Nicky: with cardboard
Winnie: no I can see why you're putting it off Adam I don't blame you so Nikki
Adam: gave the rundown but why did we watch it there
Nicky: is a very topical news
Winnie: happening
Nicky: happening. Winnie, would you mind explaining? - Oh
Winnie: yeah, I don't know. I just saw on Instagram a lot of top comments about people complaining about how Nadania was in our generation and I figured, I was wondering what this was. Turns out it was going viral on social media for being terrible. I'm not even on like Indian Instagram, but it was like flooding my feed. - Really? - Yeah. So I was like, wow, this is like pretty big news. And then I read up about it. I found that article about the controversy with the lead actor getting angry at the Pakistani journalist. So I suggested we watch it. 3.1 rating on IMDb. What did you see on your clips?
Adam: Like what was popping up on your feed?
Winnie: Just people complaining about it. If I looked up for it, you know, like, but most of it was just comments. But what are they saying about it? Complaining that we got this movie in our generation. I don't remember exactly. Okay,
Khilli: I'm just curious Karan Johor is making this School universe Where he has this Not in a MCU thing Not in a MCU way, but it's like In a thematic way Okay, so he's making these films where these rich students go to a like a posh school says and then there would be one guy who comes from apparently some poor background, like which is in Dharma Productions standard. They are not poor. They're very rich as well. But like they're poorer than the industrialists. right so there would be one guy is always a guy and then they would be like looked down upon like bullied for their economic condition and stuff like that and then they would be the underdog hero kind of film so he has done student of the year student of the year too and this film Nadania and then this who also like looks like a reminiscent of Uch Kuch Hota Hai which was like Karan Jura's first director directorial debut with Shara Khan, Kajol Wow, a million
Adam: times more charisma in those two people
Khilli: So there are a lot of kickbacks if you remember there was this principal of the school Miss Breganza or something like was like using all of the WTF
Winnie: OMG yeah yeah so even
Khilli: Kuch Kuch Wotai had the same actor the character name was Miss Braganza but that was not a school that was a college but it's a kickback I mean it's a and it would have made more sense reference
Adam: to Karan Jehor's earlier aesthetics she also played a prison warden in his other series no I'm kidding
Khilli: I'm kidding So that's the thing, like he's repeating doing it and he's known for launching kids from film family to Bollywood. So it's like he has launched Alia Bhatt at one point, who turned out to be a really good actor later. But he has done with few other people.
Adam: He's kind of like Coppola, in a way. Where like his, I feel like where he kind of shepherds new people, but also his family is in a lot of the film industry as well, maybe.
Khilli: It's like for him, it's not his family. He's, it's like other people's family because Oh, right. Because he doesn't have kids.
Adam: We're all laughing about having a family. What
Winnie: do you call it? Openly closeted gay. Yeah, that's how Khilli describes her and enjoy her status.
Khilli: Openly closeted gay person. But this movie was
Winnie: also going viral because of the lead actor being Saif, Abraham Ali Khan, who is Saif Ali's son.
Khilli: And the daughter of uh... Sridevi is she also famous Sridevi was like a terrific actress in Bollywood yeah so Nepo baby she was amazing and her already one daughter got debuted in one of the films and I think this girl is it's not her debut it's a third or some film and yeah so they're like two kids from film family yeah but wasn't Shah Rukh Khan and Kadral
Adam: even kind of Nepo Babies 2
Khilli: no I don't think no Shah Rukh Khan I mean these people had maybe some connection but the Shah Rukh Khan is not quote-unquote Napo baby. Rick de Groshen was.
Adam: Sure. It's just, those guys have so much, I mean, because even if they are, I'm saying like, at least those guys had tremendous charisma.
Khilli: No, there are Napo kids who are really
Adam: hardworking.
Khilli: Yeah, I mean, there are no good ones. So why were these
Adam: put in this movie? They have nothing.
Khilli: I think there have been always this influx of Napo kids and then some do well because they are good and some doesn't, they get lost. Yeah. Yeah,
Adam: it didn't seem like they spent a lot of money on this film.
Winnie: But I don't think he was terrible. He was receiving a lot of hatred on social media for terrible acting. From critics as well for just being really bad at acting. I don't think it was that bad. I think it was just bad writing, bad plot. The movie was worse than the acting. I was
Khilli: talking to Winnie about it. For me, it also felt like terrible writing, worse direction. It's it's it those like those technicalities of the filmmaking was were way worse than the acting part I mean acting I think they were salvage salvageable actors These two kids like they may not be that good But they could have been okay under different circumstances on different directors and stuff. They can't
Adam: dance though They didn't even dance or sing. - It
Winnie: was so not memorable. I don't remember the dances. - I don't remember any of them. - There's two
Adam: music segments and they just, it was very bland. 'Cause at first I thought the movie just didn't have music at all. I was like, this is
Khilli: bad. And then they did it and like they, you don't remember it at all. Funniest thing, we were watching this film with my niece. Actually, yeah, that's worth
Adam: mentioning. And your nephew. She's
Khilli: 17 and the characters are 17 after, after. So she was like very interested, like when I offered her like, oh, we are going to watch this film for the podcast. And she was like, yes, I want to judge this film because all of my friends are like writing about it and like talking about, talking shit about it, this film. And then I want to watch this film and judge. I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's come. Let's go and do it. And then after the film, the first thing she said, like, I am 17. I didn't relate a single thing, literally single thing in this film.
Adam: I mean, that's, I think, the key issue is like on every level, it's incredibly unrelatable. Like the actors are supposed to be in high school, but they all look like they're 25 and above. They are rich beyond... up like the the earlier films like the um keijo films right
Khilli: like
Adam: they were aspirational and kind of fantastical but in a way where like you didn't need it to be relatable like it was cool just rich people living in a weird world but then in this one they're living in our world In places that exist like that, with families that actually act like that, and it's not relatable, it's just insulting to watch. And like when she was saying that she gets a new car every year, I don't know who would enjoy looking at that or how. That's not aspirational. It's just insulting to everyone else because you know that's true for them. Is it? I mean, what are they talking about? Like, that's not a realistic or cool thing to say, if they're not. I feel like it's just true. I
Khilli: remember one of the film family kids, Ranbir Kapoor, you know Ranbir Kapoor, right? Yeah, he's like a good actor. So there was a... There was an interview he did with the newspaper where he said, "Oh, we were so poor, we didn't even have a Mercedes or BMW or anything. We couldn't go to trip to Europe." Like all of my peers were going to a trip to Europe. We struggled a lot. We know what it is to struggle. So that came out on the newspaper And people are like So Fucking So Hilarious Like What? Like Because you didn't have a Mercedes Benz Or you didn't have Yeah you had the worst life ever That's why like You had like a Toyota or something That's why like That's why you're That You struggled a lot. Every time
Adam: I had to put the key in my Ford, I was crying. Everyone was making fun of me. You couldn't go to Europe
Khilli: for your holidays. That's struggle. Yes, right. In India. It's the context of India, right? It's not the context of US or something. It's the context of India. Yeah. It's absurd.
Adam: They...
Khilli: And
Adam: the conflict comes because she's in a high class where she gets a new car every year and everyone's just filthy rich. And then the guy she wants to be with is in a lower class of being a very upper class class. person with like a doctor for a father and an incredibly nice home and he's like too lower class for them but he is already insultingly rich let alone her level so again it becomes just incredibly unrelatable because when they're like this disgusting poor person wants to like date you and then you see like an incredibly huge house and cars and like a rich family as well and you're just like if this is what they're calling poor like what is my life? He belongs
Khilli: to the top 5% of the population. Right, but is that fun for anyone to
Adam: watch that's outside of that bubble? That's what I think this movie completely failed on. But it's
Winnie: interesting because like Kapiku Shikabigam had the same level of wealth. Most of current Johar films always had the same level of wealth. And it related with the generation of that time. They still ate that up. But this time, like this movie has been rejected by Gen Z completely.
Adam: Why do you think that is? I'm trying to figure it out too. Why did that level of wealth back then work better?
Winnie: Because there's woke capitalism now, I guess. There's a lot of wokeness and there's more anti-elitism. anti-apriclass. But
Adam: those movies, I think that he did back then, do feel more dreamlike, I guess, or just like completely fantastical. Well, back then, I think we
Winnie: still bought into the idea of like the American dream or the capitalist dream, right? Where like you can work hard and attain that level of wealth that they have. Right now, we know, like 20 years later, we know that that's impossible. So we don't find it relatable or even desirable anymore.
Adam: Yeah. That's what I'm saying. This would be like the perfect propaganda film for Mao. To just be like, just chopped everyone's heads off in these like these people offer nothing they have nothing like a value to give like they are just complete parasites living like an extravagant wealth that are just doing nothing like and and our and the worst crimes we had to like watch them do it and they think it's like a good movie and also the plot sucks so what's the plot so what's
Nicky: the plot well adam adam briefly mentioned it but it's Has this like very rich socialite girl. I don't even know the actress.
Adam: She has 300,000 followers on Instagram in the movie. In
Nicky: the movie. She has like her best friends who she's at war with because there's this guy, we'll just call him the fuck boy. And he's like just always constantly harassing our main character. where he's like trying to get hooked up with her and like her best friend has a crush on him and you know they don't want to speak to her because she's not doing anything to stop it and like I guess you know what the people want to know is that like She is single as fuck. And she doesn't, because of the shame that she has to live with. Because that's so relatable. No, I think
Adam: it's because she was texting the guy. Yeah. She was
Khilli: not texting. She was not even replying. He was texting her. He was texting.
Adam: She just stopped him. Okay, so, but whatever. She's not afraid of being single. But her best friend found out that the dude that she has a crush on has been texting her. And the friend hasn't totally shut it down. So therefore, she's ruining her best friend's life. So the girl's like, no, no, no, I didn't tell you. I didn't. No, I'm not flirting with him. I have a boyfriend. I
Nicky: have a boyfriend who doesn't exist. And that's where our Nepo baby main character comes in, Ibram. Rahim Ali Khan. He plays like this supposedly middle class character that I do not relate with in any way.
Adam: No middle class person lives like that. Yeah,
Nicky: and basically she's paying him to be her boyfriend. Nikki,
Khilli: talk about the introduction scene of the guy for where he wins the chance to be a debate team captain. Oh, yeah, we have to get to that. Oh, my God. I
Nicky: totally forgot about that, man. Let's not forget. Yeah, it's like... That was the
Adam: best part. So they're in the debate club.
Nicky: They're in the debate club and there's this guy. Was it the fuckboy that was like... No,
Adam: it was like a debate guy. It was a debate bully.
Nicky: Debate bully. Okay. And then he was saying... He was making fun of our main character about his upbringing. And then he does this powerful speech where my family goes through hardships and I'm career focused and I come from Noida. Or something. Noida. I don't know. And then, like... I mean, by the end of the debate, the bully was, like, completely owned, and everyone was cheering for him, and for whatever reason, our main character gets up and, like, strips...
Adam: Strips topless... Yeah, he pulls his shirt up.
Nicky: I don't know. I cannot imagine in any situation realistically where someone would be so pumped they would strip naked. And a debate
Winnie: club. He's standing
Adam: over them and they're all like clapping as he's just holding his shirt up to show off his six pack. at the debate club after he owned someone with logic yeah
Khilli: it was the last card of up up on his sleeves to like we know what that is debate bully that like he has abs that's how he became like that was the last nail on the coffin that he became the captain of
Adam: the debate this guy is so sexy we have to make him our leader this is debate club the
Nicky: whole point of him bringing tablets is because it's a setup and for the girl to walk in on the debate club to see that this man, this man will be my boyfriend. That's literally the point. - He's smart
Adam: and he works out. He just came to school. So I'm gonna pretend that he's been dating me. I'm gonna pay him.
Khilli: - She's gonna pay him like 25,000 rupee per week. - Yeah. - Which is roughly like $300. - It's about
Adam: $300 a week. - Yeah. - So he's getting paid, that's solid.
Khilli: That's a lot for India. What's the average wage for India? So if you've done a graduation, proper graduation, you get a job in an IT company. Most probably you are getting paid that per month, not a week. So you get paid...
Adam: 25
Khilli: ,000 per month Yeah, if you're starting a job That's the usual white collar starting salary So
Winnie: this 15,000 a week He's getting like 60,000 a month
Khilli: No 15 ,000 25,000 he's getting Oh yeah,
Adam: 100,000
Khilli: 100,000
Adam: So how much is 100
Khilli: ,000 is like a
Adam: So it's like a thousand dollars It's like
Khilli: a mid-level corporate employee employee salary yeah it's a very lucrative deal so again
Adam: yeah way unrelatable I think when you're like the majority of people watching Netflix being like that is more than like my both my parents make even
Khilli: if a Gen Z sees it like if they're their uncle or like like me or like um like elder cousins or like brothers or sisters they're earning people and they were like none of them even even the pairs none of them earn that much of money it's crazy how insulting is
Adam: that if you watch then you're like this high schooler is getting paid this much to take a few photos with this woman yeah i would my eyes would go red yeah yeah you
Nicky: have you get this cringe worthy like montage where like they she started taking photos of him yeah photos of him sharing his like like you know doing like a soft launch as they would as the kids would call it these days soft launch where you like subtly like reveal certain parts of your partner have you guys ever done that also i've done that in the past yes the
Winnie: fact that nobody recognized that it was him even though there were parts where like you could see his body and he showed off his six pack to all these guys before yeah
Adam: they all studied that they know exactly what he looks like and
Nicky: then that resolves the conflict that we had in the beginning like oh you know her friends didn't like her because you know they thought that she was having an affair with the the fuck boy and then they easily like wrap that plot point completely right that's the other issue with the movie
Adam: there's no primary driving yeah because it just it's very episodic it just keeps going to one issue to the next like we need to talk about class issue and then race issue and parent issue and they just kind of hit all the checklists you know i
Winnie: feel like there was almost no social commentary They tried to. There was a gender. There was a class. They
Khilli: tried to. It poses as a social commentary. I'm not saying it did it well.
Adam: I'm just saying check things off its list.
Khilli: And the point that it's so regressive. The film is so regressive in its social outlook. It's nauseating. Like how though? This girl, you're showing this girl is like like sidelining the main actor because she is not stopping a stalker to... He was definitely stalking her and like harassing her over messages and stuff. But then
Winnie: he addresses it later on in his speech about how they're not real friends, if they're going to do that. So I feel like they end up painting that friendship dynamic in a negative light to show that it's wrong. And then there was a whole point about empowering her to, you know, be a lawyer woman because her dad always wanted a son. So I feel like they tried to be progressive to appeal to the Gen Z crowd. But the context of the film was so unrelatable that I don't think any of the messages really got across.
Adam: This is a genuine question I have. So a major plot point is the dad hasn't had dinner with them, I guess, her whole life. Because when the boy comes over, she's like, this is the first time dad's ever had dinner with me or something. And she thinks that her dad's never talked to her because he always wanted a son and was disappointed that he had a daughter. Now, but my question is, well, the dad is surprised that she wants to be a lawyer and has never, ever asked her any questions or knows anything about her. And he says, no, that's not the reason why I never talked to you. But what was the reason? Like, did I miss it? Or did he ever explain why he never did? Because he did say, like, it's not because you're a woman. I didn't need a son. I
Khilli: think he was gaslighting her. But
Adam: I didn't understand what he did. What was the reason he never did her with her? He assumed
Winnie: that she was going to go to university for art or crafts or something like that. So it might have just been that he never saw her in an intellectual light. creative at most because she's a woman reason
Khilli: to talk to her yeah
Winnie: he's like why
Adam: can I talk to someone who's gonna go to
Khilli: an art school
Winnie: it's not because of women it's a traditional gender role that he just used to judge his own daughters of getting to know her
Khilli: so the men never talk to women in the family like the men never talk to their women kids. Yeah. Because at first they decide, they think, they already decide that, oh, they're not going to be smart because they're women. And oh, I don't want to talk to an unsmart kid.
Adam: But then he said, no, no, no. Like, it's not because of that. It's not because I wanted a son. But I never heard the part of why he did do that then. and I couldn't figure out if I missed it or not. He just never answers why. So he just completely ignored her, didn't have dinner with her, not because she's a girl, but just because he's a bad father would have done it to anyone.
Khilli: Something to do with the mother as well. So the mother was complaining that, okay, in this family, like if you cannot provide a son, quote unquote, provide a son, that you don't have respect as a wife. So she was always up about like, up on his ass about like, okay, producing a son and then since she was always about making a son the guy was disgusted about her so he started a relationship with another woman outside and then she was like no I did it because that was expected of me from this family that's why I was so up and he was like I didn't want that and she's like who gives a fuck what you wanted have you seen your father like how he treats me so it's kind of tries to address like a multi-tiered fashion of like gender roles in a patriarchal Indian family where that I mean it's not only about husband husband is patriarchal okay but there would be another set of people like your in-laws who are all more patriarchal because they come from the different generation and they will have the power still power over the dictation like how the family runs so the women end up like the the wives end up falling prey to the patriarchy while practicing patriarchy as well so that that's kind of interesting because to see but they saw they they i mean i cannot give the credit to the film because it was shown in like one sentence. Yeah, they just showed the old grandfather sitting at the table. I'm talking so much, so many things because I've seen like many Bollywood films and I'm from India. I've seen these dynamics being played out again and again. So that's why I'm saying it. But in the film, it happens literally in one sentence.
Adam: We should say, so he... He has an affair and then she does give birth to a son.
Khilli: No, no, no. It didn't reveal that. Well, we don't know if it's a son. She gets
Adam: pregnant.
Khilli: Yeah.
Adam: And then he finds out, like, the girl sees it flashing on, like, the dad's cell phone. So they find out he's been cheating and then he immediately gets a divorce. He's like, I have a new family. I'm leaving now. Bye. That's just how it goes, which is the least Indian thing I've ever seen in my life. I mean, you
Khilli: cannot have like you were a millionaire, like an industrialist. You cannot have one kid out of your wedlock.
Adam: It
Khilli: was good
Winnie: rationalizing.
Adam: I'm just saying he goes so against the grain, but they made it seem like that's the rule. I think they're also
Winnie: maybe trying to show the progressiveness of the film. What is the
Adam: progressiveness here?
Winnie: Divorce is allowed. Right? Because like... What? You leave your wife?
Adam: The mom like lost everything. You leave
Winnie: your wife because you cheated on
Khilli: her and had... Like she didn't even ask for divorce.
Winnie: Yes, yes. I mean, I don't think it's progressive in the sense that the woman should have asked for the divorce but in the sense that back in the day you could have...
Khilli: You cheated on someone and then suddenly like, oh, get the fuck out of here. Because I cheated on you. I'm going to abandon
Adam: my family. I'm so woke.
Winnie: But you don't really see divorce in other Indian movies. So the fact that divorce is like... It's not that
Khilli: bad. There are divorces. I
Adam: mean, it's the most anti-Tai thing too, for the most part. Like where they're like, I have like... I'm not saying like everyone like cheats on their spouse or anything, but I've never seen... It were like the guy feels like it's a societal obligation to go be with the family he cheated on. Okay,
Winnie: but what's the alternative? Because it seems like everyone knew he had an affair, right? They all knew he had a mistress. Take care of
Khilli: both kids. Yes, but... He
Adam: abandoned her and she got nothing.
Winnie: We don't know that. We don't know the divorce proceedings. We just saw the conversation where he said that he wants a divorce because he's actually in love with his mistress.
Adam: And
Khilli: why is she leaving the house again?
Adam: Yeah, they lost money and had to move and stuff. They went
Nicky: back to the grandmother's house.
Khilli: Because he cheated on her. They have enough proof, like everything. I mean, definitely she would get like a whole lot of money. And then like most probably the house is under the name of his father. Then then. But
Winnie: we don't get too much exposure into the divorce. I wish it was a
Adam: divorce. I think the film was
Khilli: about the divorce. I
Adam: want to see what a set she gets. And okay,
Khilli: we almost had the three -fourths of the film
Adam: at this point like, wow. Okay.
Nicky: So the thing that I find so frustrating about this movie is that there's so much happening in that two-hour frame and yet I can't really remember anything. So
Khilli: many things happening and
Adam: nothing is remarkable. Oh, they have Bonfire Night. What is
Nicky: Bonfire Night? They keep
Adam: talking about Bonfire Night and in subtitles it's capital letters but I asked... you and your niece and nephew they have no idea what bonfire night is I assumed it was like a prom thing it sounded like a prom thing it's nothing but they acted like we all know what bonfire night is but we ended up
Winnie: seeing the bonfire night there was no
Adam: bonfire it
Winnie: was like this AI it was like
Adam: a postmodern arts sculpture yeah
Winnie: there was no bonfire so what
Adam: but that's why it makes me think bonfire is even more of a thing because like it used to be a bonfire now it's like these lights but no one has any clue what bonfire night is but they put a lot of lore into what bonfire night is in the movie I
Khilli: can't understand what they were doing here. They were showing that it's a tradition in the school or in that fictional world that these people live in. And everyone knows about Bonfire Night in the film.
Adam: Yeah.
Khilli: And we kind of accept that. Okay, for you guys, Bonfire Night is a big thing. And we accept that and we watch on that context because no one has Bonfire Night. Like in Delhi, what the hell? I
Adam: think it's a secret, rich, elite thing that they do. Yeah, that we don't know. Where they have a big bonfire and they throw all the plans and the virgins in. Where all the matchmaking happens.
Khilli: Like all the industrial matchmaking. Yeah, they plot out the next
Adam: 10 years over the bonfire. And now the kids do it. All the
Khilli: startup discussions. Like what? Oh, shoot. That is the... Oh, we have to get to the startups, right? No, remember that?
Adam: His dream, remember? Oh, yeah,
Khilli: dream. Okay, before that, we have to be thankful to Netflix. Do you remember that? Like, what are you thankful for today?
Adam: Yeah, Netflix was advertising itself on the movie. They
Nicky: always get a shout out in every... property okay
Adam: we have to talk about the mood board do you remember vision board sorry not mood board yeah so he has a vision everyone has a vision board in this movie including the very poor guy and his vision is to become his is to like get rich or something go to a nice university and then come back to India and make an app no no no no
Khilli: no He was not supposed to go to outside. So that's why I was shouting, how does it change anything to your plan if you go abroad to study?
Adam: Well, okay. So the end goal though is he wants to make an app that connects common people to lawyers, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard because I think that already exists. They do have lawyers and I don't think that solves the issue of them affording the lawyer or not. I don't think the issue is finding one. I think it's, can I afford a lawyer and would that help? So yes, this guy wanted to make an app to connect
Khilli: lawyers to common people. It could be also that so you have like a slight problem and you don't want to hire a whole lawyer for it. You just go to the app, post a question and there are like a bunch of lawyers, paid lawyers by the app companies. who will see your question and answer it like, oh yeah, you can do this. And if for more action, okay,
Adam: you can hire someone. That would be a nice... You put more thought into it, but he acted like it was going to be a guaranteed hit. Because I'm not a 17-year-old. So why did he not want to leave India for this? Yeah, that
Khilli: made no sense. So in his vision board, he's going to the top law university area in India, and then he becomes topper every semester, and then he gets the best job possible from the law college, and then he saves up some money for a few years, and then he opens the app. That's his vision board. And now, in this thing, it doesn't make any sense that why would he not go abroad? I mean, if he goes abroad, he can earn in like, like stronger currency and save the money quicker and then come back to India and make the app anyway. So what is stopping him?
Winnie: He's from a middle class family. So he doesn't
Khilli: want the education loan, but he was getting the full scholarship.
Winnie: He did in the end, right after the girl encouraged him to aim higher.
Khilli: No, that means Brieganzo was telling her. No, Brieganzo was already telling him that you will get the full scholarship. That was so
Adam: funny too, the way that they think scholarships work. Because her advisor, when he tell me if this is the case. Oh, a sports
Winnie: scholarship. He was banking on getting a sports scholarship because he was the captain of the swim team.
Adam: Oh.
Khilli: We never saw him swimming though. Yeah, I don't remember that at all. It was all in the awards. Oh my God.
Winnie: But that was his description, opening description.
Adam: Oh, he was. No, there was briefly he was in the pool, I think.
Winnie: Yeah, yeah. So he was going to get a sports scholarship and then he did end up in the end of the movie getting a sports scholarship.
Adam: Good filmmaking.
Winnie: He didn't get the sports scholarship? What?
Khilli: He didn't get the D-Bitch scholarship? I
Winnie: mean, he became captain of the debate team by showing off his six-pack. So we never really see his lawyer skills or if he has the capacity to become a lawyer. Maybe that's why he's banking on the app.
Adam: He got captain of the pool team with his good debate skills.
Winnie: And then he became captain of the debate team with his good swimming abs.
Adam: I think the way they just give him the scholarship, like the college advisor is like, you get the special scholarship where you can go to any school in the UK you want for free. we all just love you so much pick whatever school you want that is a very magical scholarship and i think to every other kid that's just called having rich parents i don't think and they think that that could just apply to anyone but you don't just have the advisor say like look the university's reached out and they just love you so much you can go to eddie uk and then he has a real tough choice to figure out where he wants to go we
Winnie: should talk about how they fall in love because it's a rom-com so this is kind of like central to the movie how she pays for him and then eventually starts to fall go back to Nikki for
Khilli: help
Nicky: for the plot fuck man all I remember is that like they have there was that stupid dinner scene where they I don't know uh what was pia the the lead girl she her father saw that you know arian has is like lawyer material or something and then like you know with arian's suggestion that uh pia should be in the debate team and then he was like defending her because her father was being like misogynistic, I guess.
Adam: The father didn't think that girls can be lawyers.
Nicky: No. But do you remember how she proved that she can debate? Vaccines. Being knowledgeable on
Khilli: medicals. Why vaccines shouldn't be free. Why vaccines
Adam: should be for profit. And she gives a whole debate on why we need to extract profit from the vaccine process. And the dad almost breaks down in tears because he's like, that's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.
Nicky: Yeah. It was the most foreseen. I hated it. I was very angry
Adam: at that moment that she like, first of all, she uses debate points that like any dumb baby can come out, come up with. But then the fact that her father's like, you're a genius. Like I, wow, we could make money from vaccines. You're right. I never thought about it this way. Like, That's very morally bankrupt That they're They're applauding her On this point
Khilli: Yeah I think the father Realizes that The women can be Equally morally bankrupt Yeah And be part of our business
Adam: Yeah
Khilli: She can run
Winnie: my business Because it's harder To argue for that The fact that That vaccines should be charged. And she didn't do a great job at it. She did. Ish. Enough for her dad. Her dad's
Khilli: a dummy. Enough for how things are running in this film. But it's actually interesting that
Winnie: they chose this. Like, you know, if you think about the director of the movie, why they chose this debate, that art side of the argument to present Yeah,
Adam: it is a good, yes, this is a message they want to say.
Winnie: Exactly, exactly.
Adam: They chose that. Yeah, and I think it's going to fall on deaf ears. I don't know how many people love to hear that. What was
Khilli: the debate? I don't think the writer ever has been a part of the debate team. Because in debate competition, you cannot choose for or against, I guess. It's a decision. You were assigned. So he was like, why did you choose this side? Because the other side would have been easier to defend. And she said, no, I wanted to show something that I can win a
Adam: harder argument. I'm like, no, you cannot choose. Her argument was that vaccines cost money to make. and so we need to pay for it. Well,
Winnie: basically also that you need to be able to fund future studies for future vaccines. So you need to be able to contribute to it so that it's more sustainable. If it's free, then research would not be sustainable. I don't
Khilli: think any any set group of people who like argues for free vaccine, wants the researcher to be not paid. Or like to have no future vaccines.
Winnie: If you think about how much money the pharma industry is bringing in, like you really don't need to charge for the vaccines. They have more than enough to be able to cover more science and development. We can't regulate that with
Khilli: the capitalist system.
Adam: Yeah, it's fine. We got polio just fine and people didn't stop making vaccines because... because of it. It's okay. - But
Winnie: this point kinda is in trend with the theme of the movie, right? Being very pro elite, pro capitalism. - Yeah, it's very revealing that
Adam: that's what they think is like an interesting thing to talk about. It's very revealing. But again, I think that's what is so revealing is just how out of touch they are with everyone. and in more of an insult and i guess the the greatest sin is that the movie's not entertaining i guess that's it because at least the older films were entertaining and so if you can't even be fun to watch then it's just not and it's not relatable like of course you're going to get the ire of everyone it's
Nicky: not relatable it's not memorable there's nothing that i i try to recount anything i don't remember anything There was nothing fascinating about it. So how does it
Adam: end? They go to bonfire night?
Nicky: We didn't cover one specific plot point. It's when Pia's family gets a divorce. She meets her childhood friend, the rich boy.
Khilli: Oh yeah.
Nicky: He's a prince. The prince. Oh, thank
Khilli: you. Because
Nicky: that's normal.
Khilli: Been there. How
Adam: many princes do you swipe on Bumble? Every day,
Winnie: yeah.
Nicky: Yeah, the prince is like, I don't know He's like that He's like that typical conflict in rom-kong The one that does all the misunderstanding They went out for one night And then people, because he's a prince Like people, the paparazzi Decided to take photos and videos And upload it on social media And, you know, with a lot of debate competition going around, I don't remember a scene about debate at all. I don't remember
Adam: anything. It was just abs.
Khilli: Because for debate, you have to actually study about the current politics or current topics and then write the right. argument for to show on screen that debate is happening for the writers right they have to write proper arguments to show on screen I think they didn't want to do that
Nicky: because like the thing the whole reason that they fell in love is because they're preparing for debate right yeah there was no debate
Khilli: you're right
Adam: there wasn't a debate
Khilli: watching a watching a sports film without
Adam: without having any sports involved
Khilli: in the it's like Mighty
Adam: Ducks and they just never get on the ice rink at all
Khilli: it's like yeah And that, no, okay. There was another thing, like, when the paparazzi take photo of... So, basically, she was, like, she was giving a hug to the prince guy, right? Yes. But later, when we saw the photos, like, it was a very romantic stare. Like, they were, like, holding hands and, like, whatnot. Like... When did all that happen? Is it AI? It looked like AI manipulation. They took like a hugging photo. He has six fingers. And then like they created those photos out of nowhere. Because never saw that happening. Like they're holding like their arm and then like staring at, staring into each other's eye. Like a total romantic like... pose that never happened. They were just walking side by side, talking about things and then just hugged because he was very supportive to her. That's, that's what happened. And the photos came out. The mom wants
Adam: her to be with the prince because he can, he's just super rich and can give her all the money she needs. But also the guy that she is pining for is not poor again. So like it's that's why it's not super. He's not living in the slums like his dad's a doctor. They're all very rich. He's getting a full fledged scholarship to the UK. He's fine. You know who we need in this film? Who? He's called Dancer. Yeah, he would get a machine gun. He would do like the Matrix scene where he loads up on all this arsenal, go in there, and act like a 12 year old in like a doomba just blowing the place up. It
Nicky: sounds like a school shooting. He would.
Adam: He would commit. He would just be spraying everyone down. Just so we don't condone the frontline shooting America Could you tell?
Nicky: Just Disclaimer we don't condone School shooting in America My
Adam: only solution Is just gun fights? Yeah sorry My culture killy don't knock it He can dance the fuck
Khilli: out of them Right yes Yeah, break dance, sure. And maybe like electrocute the guitar. With machine gun legs. The debate mic stand, electrocute the debate mic stand. That would have been the fine thing. His mom could just
Adam: beat everyone over the head with an electrocuted microphone stand. Yeah,
Khilli: I mean that's
Adam: what I was getting
Khilli: at like you know like when the rich versus poor narrative in Disco Dancer where he's literally living in the slum and then fighting the industry. Correct, yeah. And then here his doctors. He's like a super rich dude. He's like a huge huge house. And so there's no downside
Adam: if she dates him that's the they keep trying to set that up as like he's from a different class His last name is bad. He's not a prince,
Khilli: but
Adam: he's like the biggest catch in the world His
Khilli: last name remember that all
Adam: the kids were making fun of his last name
Winnie: So they keep talking about where he's from not What is the significance of no idea because
Khilli: I lived in no idea sounds for no idea Yeah, I think so because I lived near no idea. I mean Noida is this new place next to New Delhi, which falls. So around New Delhi, there are like two places, Gurgaon and Noida. And with New Delhi, it kind of becomes national capital region, NCR. So where they would establish all the business, all the industries, because Delhi is like a small... not small, but it doesn't have enough space for expansions, right? So they created this national capital region. Noida is part of that. Noida falls in another state, but... But I saw it developed in front of my eyes, and then it has huge society... It has rich people. But see, that's the issue.
Adam: It's new rich.
Winnie: That's what they have with it. That's why the old rich is looking down upon it. Yeah, it's new money. Okay, that makes sense. So they hate it. New money. Fakers.
Adam: And
Winnie: he does represent kind of like new money working class. His father is a doctor. His mom's a teacher. He's actually worked for it, so they
Adam: hate him. Oh yeah You work for your money Your dad Disgusting He saves people Disgusting He
Khilli: doesn't scams people For money Oh my god
Adam: Gross You can't marry him You have to marry the prince That contributes nothing Yeah He's much better
Nicky: New money Are we trying to say The movie's doing A smart observation yeah
Adam: very smart we
Winnie: are doing a smart observation for the dumb movie that can't be right
Adam: they have like a huge axe to grind with these new money crowds and this is their chance to say it
Khilli: and this guy is the personal doctor of a uber rich family so he's not even a struggling doctor but he's the help
Winnie: for them it's the
Adam: same as the serving you have a serving, you have a personal doctor it's worthless, you know what I mean?
Winnie: and his mom's a teacher at the school that they're at which obviously seems to be a very expensive private school so he gets in for free too
Adam: yeah
Winnie: So also, yeah, he doesn't seem like he's doing that bad.
Adam: They both have to be employed, though, is the problem. And if any of those, if they lose their job, he's screwed. And that's a class you don't want to deal with. And a prerequisite
Winnie: is also white crime. Your family has had to commit some sort of white crime to be eligible by. bachelor
Adam: correct yeah so what are we at the end I want to talk about the drama that Winnie found out I want to talk about his statement I want to talk about the reaction the only thing
Nicky: that I can only think about is that you know after the misunderstanding with the prince occurred like we get the scene where he kind of just confronts Pia and then gives this speech about like does the reveal that he's been paid to be her boyfriend and then He makes a speech about how everyone is all you rich people are so fake with your social media and your likes and That guy is sleeping around with a lot of women women and you should know that
Adam: And then the guy high-fives himself. He's like, yeah, I rule Yeah,
Nicky: that was like I feel like the best he was trying to make some sort of commentary on that But it just feels so half-baved, so... Right. If he,
Adam: again, was actually from like disco dancer world, he would have legitimate criticisms. But because all these people are in this rich bubble, their only... The only sin they think they're committing is like gossip or being a playboy perhaps. Like their world is so small that they don't even know how people would legitimately criticize them. So it comes out super bland.
Nicky: Yeah. And then like, I guess to wrap it up, he tries to apply for like universities and then...
Adam: And he gets it. He gets to go to any UK university once.
Nicky: He gets it. But then like, I think we find out that it was Pia that sent the application for him. Oh, his personal statement. Personal statement. Cause his was too angry. His was too angry. Oh, that made me...
Adam: That's right. Yeah, that's it. That's right. No, you're right. He got criticized because he was sending a letter and we never get to see it, but they're like, you're being way too aggressive in your personal statement. You need to tone down your aggressiveness. Stop being an uppity poor person that has any complaints. You need to tone it down. And he refuses to. but they just paternally do it for him anyway and send it. And he gets in and he's supposed to thank them and lick more boots. And Pia doesn't
Khilli: go for what reason? Her parents
Adam: are divorced.
Khilli: That's why? That should be the best reason to move the fuck out of there. She can't
Adam: afford it anymore. She's super poor because the guy made the right thing and abandoned his family for the mistress he was with. The morally right thing to do. I think they're going
Khilli: to get a huge, huge sum of money. Well, she's stuck in India now crying and he gets to
Adam: go to the UK. He
Khilli: has to pay for her education. Doesn't matter if he's divorcing or whatnot. He has to pay for his daughter's education. But maybe she cannot
Winnie: leave her mom alone now that she's divorcing. But the mom has her
Khilli: mom. and a friend circle. She could easily go. Like, none of the people, like, when the guy told that he cannot go abroad to study, the reason was, like, never enough, good enough. And the girl, when she doesn't go abroad, she doesn't have a good enough reason to not go. So I think the writers, like, part of the society they come from, they never have, like, they couldn't even cook up a proper reason, like why a person cannot leave the country. I think they don't know that what the reasons actually could be. It's not finances.
Adam: It's not visa. It's kind of just weird choice.
Khilli: Yeah. Yeah, they never cook. I've seen many people who couldn't go abroad for reasons, even if they had a chance. Yeah, I talk to them every day at my job. For proper reasons, they couldn't leave. They don't have any proper reasons. And they couldn't even write a proper reason for them to not leave the country.
Adam: Here's the thing. So, because, yeah, I work with a lot of Indian students that are trying to, like, study in America. And every one of their little sentences about why they cannot go has more... drama and story than this entire movie of like why they can't afford it or some issue going on with their family is vastly more interesting and complicated than whatever this movie says and has two hours to say.
Winnie: actually Kylie not that you point out it's a very regressive ending like the movie spends so much time trying to build up her character show her capabilities to do law prove that women can do that just as much as men and then in the end she just doesn't pursue it
Nicky: she stays in India
Winnie: it would have been such a sad ending if he stayed and he didn't get to pursue his vision board but like but it didn't happen for her there's no reasoning behind
Nicky: it nothing the thing that pissed me off the most was the very finale at bonfire night whatever the fuck that is it's like he just gives that like I love you speech and then proposes to her like what? yeah that didn't
Khilli: make any sense
Nicky: for what?
Khilli: Marriage?
Nicky: Marriage. Oh my god. I think I
Adam: zoned out. Yeah, I don't even remember.
Nicky: He did.
Adam: He had that weird ring, right? That weird
Nicky: ring and then they promised that they'll come back once they're done with their studies. So he flies off to the UK while she stays in India and then they need to get back and marry. What the
Winnie: fuck? They're 17, by the way. They're 17.
Adam: He's getting a handjob on the plane to university by some other chick. It's not happening. We
Winnie: watched this entire drama movie and they're going to break up in three months. at most anyway the moment he's in UK the
Khilli: father was like having a heart to heart conversation encouraging him like it's like he's she's your Juliet like she's the one if she's the one then go for it like a 17 year old kid that's bad parenting drop everything and bury
Adam: this woman who doesn't really like you
Khilli: I think this is a like a Very regressive group of people thinking... No shit. Thinking of themselves as progressive and trying to make progressive argument in the film. They must be so proud of themselves. At their core and at their outlook towards society and everything, they're super regressive people. They're so proud of themselves. I had a non-racist
Adam: thought today. I think everyone should applaud me.
Khilli: Yeah.
Winnie: We made a movie about women's empowerment. Now women are going to pursue law in India. She's a girl boss.
Adam: Yeah. even though the schools are really dirty here and bad even a woman can do it though
Winnie: oh gosh I think we checked how much time there was left in the movie about like five or six times while watching it yeah I thought you almost walked out like five six times I almost walked out I did not though
Adam: what was your niece's final thoughts on the movie
Khilli: that's that's the only thing she said and she's like uh it was fun watching with us but nothing else was fun about the film what
Winnie: was really fun though was watching the three of you try so hard to not swear because there was a nine-year
Khilli: -old in
Winnie: the room me
Khilli: no oh
Winnie: you mean killie was the worst like yeah killie is the uncle here we were not swearing killie was
Adam: swearing up a storm and i
Winnie: just
Khilli: shit. No, you weren't. You were saying more. You said fuck at
Winnie: one point. Oh, yeah. Fuck.
Khilli: I'm sorry about that. But is shit swearing? I don't know. That's why I did. I was like, hey, Kelly, I don't know if
Adam: this is wrong. I don't know what they're used to hearing, but like you're swearing. I noticed it. Adam,
Winnie: you nearly called his nephew a nine-year-old a dick but i didn't but i
Adam: didn't i heard the i heard the no but i didn't
Winnie: i held
Adam: my tongue i did that for that entire night i'm actually pretty good about holding my tongue around kids i'm like uncle kelly over here yeah
Winnie: kelly won't lost like you would swear at the most That's where your uncle Was full
Adam: of money You just
Winnie: traumatized them Like Uncle Killie What happened to Uncle Killie? Who is
Khilli: he? Who does he become at night? No This is English version Yeah The English version Doesn't have Doesn't come with like PG PG-30 Um You usually speak
Nicky: to them in Bengali, right? Yeah. So they just saw you speak and criticize in English. In Bengali I have two different
Khilli: ways of talking. Like when I'm with friends, I'm swearing left and right. And when I'm with family and kids. I'm totally into like Not swearing And then Totally into not swearing Like it's No Initially it took a lot of effort from me To not swear in front of them But then Like And then I got used to it Now I barely like Anything slips out But in English I didn't have the practice
Winnie: So
Adam: Yeah then the nephew Beat us all in Tekken
Winnie: And
Adam: we all Except for Winnie
Winnie: What?
Adam: He didn't beat you
Winnie: No no he won
Adam: Oh yeah yeah yeah He won
Winnie: yeah How like Yeah How much of that was like Genuine on your guys I did lose
Adam: legitimately You did
Winnie: lose legitimately That's why I almost Called
Adam: him a dick I was that was genuine
Nicky: no I was holding back I was holding back I didn't want to beat this kid oh no I
Adam: really lost to a bad I was pissed I was going
Winnie: super easy like one side of me was like should I just win so that maybe he'll think like girls can play video games it'll be a life lesson And then the other part of me was like, no, he's a kid. You should never go easy
Nicky: on kids.
Winnie: And all of you guys let him win. So I was like, I can't be the dick now and be the only one who wins. I did
Nicky: not let him win. I wanted you to do the right thing in Avengers.
Adam: Yeah, how dare you? I was really trying hard. And the kid destroyed me. Oh, man. I was
Khilli: beating him in football all the time. And he legitimately beat me like two, three games. Yeah, he
Winnie: beat you in FIFA. 10-5.
Khilli: No, that was I. Mine was 10.
Winnie: Not according to him.
Khilli: No.
Adam: What was the controversy of this movie? Oh, yes. Keep on going back. I just want to talk about this text.
Winnie: So the movie was heavily criticized, of course, but one notable criticism came from a Pakistani journalist, Taimur Iqbal. And he criticized the movie and Abraham's nose. So I don't know if you guys noticed his nose. It was a little bit on the bigger side, right? He has like the bridge.
Khilli: So
Winnie: I think that's where he crossed the line because for the most part, I think Abraham has been handling the negative criticism well, but this is where he shot back. Wait, what did he
Adam: say about the nose? He was saying he has a big nose?
Winnie: Something like that. I think he accused him of getting a nose job or suggested he get a nose job. Something like that. That was the thing that
Nicky: set him off?
Winnie: Right. So it was negative reviews about his acting, the movie, and the nose. And I think that's where it also became viral on social media. Because some of his fans were like, yeah, that's crossing a line. you shouldn't like i
Adam: agree take
Winnie: a dig on someone's appearance but a
Adam: 17
Khilli: year old kid no
Winnie: abraham took a lot of offense to it and slid into this journalist dms on instagram and screenshot
Nicky: and yeah tamur
Winnie: almost like tamur you got my brother's name guess what you don't got his face you ugly piece of trash since you can't keep your words to yourself don't bother they're irrelevant just like Jesus Christ. That's
Nicky: really a good one.
Khilli: That
Adam: sounds 70 years. How old
Khilli: is this guy actually in Rio? Abraham?
Winnie: I think early 20s.
Adam: This is a real dumb move on his part to have that in writing and some guy that already doesn't like use DMs. Like that is a massive L.
Winnie: I also like the journalist response. He goes, a lot of ha ha ha laughing. That's my man. See, this is the guy I want to see in the movie. Not that fake Cornetto mushy cringy human. But hey, yes, that nose job comment was in bad taste. Rest, I totally own up. Massive fan of your dad. Don't let him down. Holy crap. Oh, that is so brutal.
Adam: Wowie, wowie, wowie. That is so brutal. That's some disco dancer energy right there. Yes. I wanted that. Now that's more interesting
Winnie: than the whole movie. That is
Adam: so true. Again, that guy wrote a way more interesting text, and that text had better writing than any of this.
Nicky: Wow. Yes. savage apparently it
Winnie: went on for a while until it got a bit more heated and then Abraham just blocked the journalist on Instagram
Nicky: but that replay was
Khilli: it's one of the dopest things that was a good yeah he owned up to his fault like yeah the nose thing I shouldn't have done but like this energy yeah bring that to the film that was like
Winnie: you're letting your dad down in a very indirect
Khilli: way brutal
Adam: That was like Eminem at the end of 8 Mile just owning the other dude. To
Khilli: be honest, Saif Ali Khan used to be ridiculed a lot in his earlier days. Also, he had a very thin voice. Not a very masculine, baritone voice. He had a very thin voice which was associated with being feminine. And then he was very fair, ultra fair. He has a bit of effeminate... traits in that those days Bollywood standard so he was always looked as not a strong hero right so I think he the first time when the perception changed was he did a negative role like a villain portrait of villain and he nailed the role terrific acting and looked like totally masculine I think he did some plastic surgery some certain kind already like he had also had a huge nose like and then i think he did something on his nose as well so yeah saifan also went through like a bunch of bullying when he started and i think he also bullied back yeah yeah you're saying there's anecdote right yeah
Winnie: so this whole controversy brought up um another controversy with Saif Ali Khan the father back in 1995 where a journalist criticized his movie with Akshay Kumar I don't know which one it was Khilli
Khilli: Maculari Tuwanari
Winnie: yeah and so he gets very offended and goes to the journalist's house and punches him and allegedly also pushes his elderly mother away when the mother tried to intervene
Khilli: wow Wow It was a perfect cast Because what I said The film's name It literally translates to I am the player You are the loser Kind of So it was saying that Akshay Kumar is the player And Saif Ali Khan's character Was the kind of a loser Because he's So he was playing an actor Who is learning from the cop Akshay Kumar was the cop To how to act as a cop on screen so he was like internalizing cop behavior yeah like he was following him to like you know for a character study and then he was on his case it's an action film like he was on a case and then he somehow gets tagged along as a like it becomes a buddy film where he's like somewhat is cannot is not able to fight in real situation and stuff like that because he's just an actor and he learns stuff from Akshay Kumar. Yeah, so the journalist... So he used to get stereotyped like those kind of roles where he's not a macho hero. And then... I think, yeah, the journalist talked about how
Winnie: the teaming up with Akshay Kumar was more than just in the movie. I remember that was supposed to be like your gay message or you cannot be the lead hero message. Yeah. But, well, then he punched him and showed him that... He was macho
Khilli: These guys all have anger issues Yeah so like father like son Recently this guy has been stabbed in his house Who? Saif Ali Khan
Winnie: Oh by who?
Khilli: By someone Some burglar Something It's a very shady thing that's happening in Bollywood right now Like people are getting attacked Like people are associating with some new underground dawn that's rising up in what yeah so this is a good movie
Adam: too
Khilli: so he so it's hush hush like no one knows like who who did that like he gets goss shoved with like a knife in his so what there's a bunch of bollywood murders going on not murdered like like threats and attacks by a new underground
Adam: mafia yeah
Khilli: yeah not only bollywood also politicians one of the politicians was killed in the broad daylight in the street oh so this is kind
Winnie: of like what's his name uh luigi on a grand scale there's a no it's nothing to do with
Khilli: luigi no
Winnie: no i'm not saying like the theme wow luigi's
Khilli: killing all these bollywood stars
Winnie: i'm saying like that kind of movement of like going against the upper class no no no
Adam: no it's just a mafia mafia takeover back
Khilli: by that's cold that's i thought the revolution was starting in india no no no mafias are backed by the politicians
Winnie: Okay
Khilli: Yeah Most The ruling party Kind of trying to take over Bollywood Via mafia again So It's like It used to be like that Like when Daoud Ibrahim Was running A lot of scene in Bollywood Like Yeah He was the mafia Back then Now it's like You know the name of I think we We were talking about This guy
Nicky: Something
Khilli: some okay anyway we'll figure it out later after the podcast
Nicky: I feel old watching that movie it's like if this is what kids are up to these days I don't want to be a part of it
Khilli: no I feel young I feel like they are they were older than me They
Winnie: looked older than this.
Adam: From their point of view towards the world. And he was making more money than any of us doing nothing in ice water. Oh my god, yes. I get a car every year.
Khilli: I never earned 25,000 rupees a week in India. Yeah.
Nicky: Well, the only takeaway I got from the whole thing is that like, I knew this girl from Raipur. Where's Raipur?
Khilli: I don't know what, Raipur? Raipur? R-A-I-P-U-R? It's a place. It's a place you went there?
Nicky: Not a place. She's just from there. She's like this Indian girl that I know.
Khilli: Oh So that's the Okay okay okay Raipur is the place
Nicky: Yeah She's like the most Richest Indian I've ever met She's like super entitled When she goes to classes She would like You know Call up her parents To pay for things And I remember her Going back to her hometown For summer Or something And then she had like this extravagant birthday party in like a this like mansion setting where like people were just waiting for her and her friends were clapping and there was like this big cake that's the thing that I saw from Pia's birthday in the movie wow so that these scenes actually happen that's my point it's not
Adam: fantastical that's how these people really live and that's why it's upsetting
Nicky: it's just crazy like I didn't I thought like she was just like a special case but like man if that movie if that movie's if there's one takeaway and get from that I guess I'll be like wow people like them doing this but I feel super alienated from it all
Adam: ask her about bonfire night yeah I guess maybe she does I want to know what happens there what sacred rituals are occurring what the fuck
Nicky: I don't even know. I've never heard of it.
Adam: I am glad that the reception of this movie is negative. I think it'd all be worse if everyone loved this movie. Yeah, that's true. And we're like, I don't get this. This sucks. But no, everyone hates it. Everyone is rightfully calling it out. So it's not like it's a huge hit and changing the culture or anything. It's getting dismissed, and that's great. Yeah. like these actors have a lot to prove now like they're not gonna coast on this or anything so that's nice like it shows that you know everyone still has some good taste humanity
Khilli: prevails we won yeah it's
Adam: a story of victory it
Nicky: sits at a 3.1 on IMDB
Winnie: just in case anyone's wondering 13% on Rotten Tomatoes like it's getting trashed. I hope no one watches
Adam: this movie because of us. I
Winnie: still can't fully pinpoint why it's so terrible because I grew up watching so many rom-coms and some critics were comparing this to Never Have I Ever but it's so boring. It didn't have to be this bad. It's
Adam: not funny. It's not smart. There's no funny characters. Usually rom-coms have side characters that are funny. There's none of that.
Nicky: The character, we need to talk a little bit more. It's like Archana Puran Singh. She plays the Mrs. Brazinga. like the the old lady trying to be all Gen Z with her terms like RTTYL OMG WTF the
Khilli: character is a reference to Karan Jehor's first film oh yeah you mentioned it yeah so she was the same character was playing the same actor was playing the same name like namesake character miss braganza who was a some some dean or principal of the college the students were studying like the actors first the main characters were studying
Nicky: funny you should say that i was looking it up and it says that she reprised her role yes so it's like there's a school multiverse wait we literally had this conversation in
Adam: the beginning are you joking dude we he tilly did say all that And we reacted to it.
Nicky: Oh, did we? And we talked about
Adam: the same character and Killy gave the same speech earlier.
Nicky: Oh, okay. Well, I did, I did, I remember he said that. I don't remember he... There's a school,
Adam: he said there's...
Winnie: But back then they were in college. I don't know why they made this in high school the movie would have made a lot more sense it's not like
Khilli: MCU multiverse kind of thing right so when Bollywood does it's just meta reference that's what I was
Nicky: trying to say I was going back to what you said you said it might be a multiverse but it does feel like a school multiverse but
Adam: that's what he said but then we said no no no but he said it wasn't like the Marvel, but then he kept going and this is exactly how it feels
Nicky: like a Marvel multiverse. That's my point.
Khilli: It's a school universe. It's not the Marvel multiverse. So here what happens is like people keep on referencing, like doing the similar character, same namesakes and everything, but it's not connected like, oh, it's one whole big story. It's just meta-referencing to other characters. characters they have played before. For no bigger
Adam: reason. You're
Nicky: saying that, but I read it through and it says that she's reprising her role. So then I think that it's a multiverse kind of deal. Maybe we
Khilli: need to watch Kuch Kuch
Winnie: Hota next and see if like the surrounding, the teacher is all the same.
Khilli: She could be. She was in a university. Now she took a different job in a school.
Winnie: I think we talked about this. Does she have the same name? It can't be totally
Khilli: new. It can't be true. It's the same name, same actor. What's what? Oh, yeah. We should just solve it right now without watching that movie. Actually, it can't be the same person. I don't know. She was in university. Hey, people change his job. She was in university. Now she's in the school. We're trying
Winnie: so hard to make this movie. The movie is so disconnected
Adam: from reality. It just became a lot more interesting now that I know this. Give
Khilli: us something.
Adam: Give us something.
Khilli: Yeah
Adam: Wow she was interesting In another movie That's cool What a cool fact
Khilli: This character No
Winnie: the movie is Disconnected from reality Boring Terrible acting
Adam: Stay on TikTok kids Don't watch this movie I
Winnie: mean I want
Khilli: to talk about Talk about like How Karanjur's film Are like Gradually declining Day by day Like he's not giving Enough hits To the point that Yeah I don't know He's I heard like he sold Almost half of the share Of Dharma production To someone else
Nicky: Mm
Khilli: He's tired
Nicky: There was that like You know We shared this article The other day Right It was like an Al Jazeera article Where They mentioned that K. Joe's latest films Have all been flops Yeah They're losing a lot of money Yeah Because the same
Winnie: kind of movies That made him popular Back in the day Is not gonna work anymore That's
Adam: exactly it
Khilli: He actually produced A very nice film I Definitely want Everyone to Jigra It's It starts Ali Abhad As an action hero and she's saving her brother from a fictional country in Southeast Asia where he just gets mixed up with a drug bust and he's about to get like life sentence sorry death sentence and then she saves him and it's a very nice film. It's directed by one of my favorite directors from Bollywood, Vasan Bala, but it's a really good film, nice set up, nice world building, nice characters, terrific actions, brilliant cinematography, amazing set design, but flops in Indian box office.
Adam: All right, this is a good time to wrap it up. The door opened. We need to... We got some more toys from the temple fair today. Okay, guys. So the
Khilli: takeaway from this film is like, don't watch this film. Watch Jigra.
Adam: Yeah, and we'll watch Jigra at some point. And all the movies in the multi-school universe. The MCU, the multi-college universe. Yeah.
Nicky: occasional universe it
Adam: was fun watching it i'm glad we got uh you know a real 17 year old's perspective on it that was nice that those
Nicky: extra elements made it fun keely did uh bring your kids to work yeah yeah swear in front of your show how
Adam: stressful your job could be you have to watch all these shit movies yeah uh yeah so yeah don't don't watch this you can skip it uh so uh but we watch this so you don't have to uh we'll watch some better films next time uh thanks for listening please uh rate and review i guess you